PDA

View Full Version : Dallas 1968 - new source?

Milan
11-06-08, 03:24 PM
Hello! This might be something really interesting, and in case it turns out to be nothing much, we'll just let the thread slip to the bottom of the page, right? ;-)

To save the time, here's the transcript of our chatroom talk ( read it from the bottom to the top ):

[1 Minute Ago 02:19 PM] johanincr: maybe heyyo can do it, he's excellent at that kind of thing, i would do it, but i have too many things already going on
[1 Minute Ago 02:18 PM] Milan: seriously... perhaps it's better for someone else to write it down, and I could just send it... ok, I'll start a thread now.
[2 Minutes Ago 02:18 PM] johanincr: you should offer him something he would like, like photos of the show he attended (now theres a good tip)
[2 Minutes Ago 02:17 PM] Milan: nah, I'm going for the humble 'poor Hendrix fan from Serbia' thing
[2 Minutes Ago 02:17 PM] johanincr: haha! in that case, forgetaboutit :-)
[3 Minutes Ago 02:17 PM] Milan: heyyo, my idea of a nice little PM was something along the lines of ... NEW SOURCE??? GIMME GIMME GIMME!!!
[3 Minutes Ago 02:16 PM] johanincr: yes, a 100 person 'attack' wont work very well
[4 Minutes Ago 02:16 PM] heyyo: Lets just take it easy so that we dont scare him away okey ?
[5 Minutes Ago 02:15 PM] Milan: gotcha
[5 Minutes Ago 02:15 PM] johanincr: ofcourse
[5 Minutes Ago 02:14 PM] Milan: ok, I've saved all the chat talk here too, so if anything comes out, I'll turn it into a thread, "Everything else" board is ok?
[6 Minutes Ago 02:14 PM] johanincr: try to find out if the guy ever made copies of his tape, then we can be more sure its a different source
[7 Minutes Ago 02:13 PM] johanincr: well please keep us informed on the progress with this !
[8 Minutes Ago 02:12 PM] Milan: I know man ;-)
[8 Minutes Ago 02:11 PM] johanincr: we're really cool already dontcha worry
[2 Minutes Ago 02:08 PM] Milan: yeah. and then we can write an article about it and be really cool, like the Univibes guys who tracked down the St. Paul '70 tape, heh heh
[3 Minutes Ago 02:07 PM] johanincr: the recording we have is 2nd gen by the way, so even if it is that same source, this guy's tape would be a welcome upgrade
[3 Minutes Ago 02:07 PM] johanincr: yes good plan
[4 Minutes Ago 02:06 PM] Milan: ok, I'll send him a polite PM, to find out the info about the setlist at least
[5 Minutes Ago 02:05 PM] Milan: really? HMMM!
[5 Minutes Ago 02:05 PM] johanincr: i do think thats the case
[6 Minutes Ago 02:04 PM] Milan: should be even more interesting if he played 2 sets that day, heh heh ;-)
[7 Minutes Ago 02:03 PM] johanincr: hehe :-)
[7 Minutes Ago 02:03 PM] Milan: 16 feb. 1968. Audience, 69.58, G+
[7 Minutes Ago 02:03 PM] Milan: off to the Axis site for the info on the circulating boot
[7 Minutes Ago 02:03 PM] johanincr: hmmmm interesting! i wouldnt mind a 2nd source for that show
[9 Minutes Ago 02:01 PM] Milan: I see.
[9 Minutes Ago 02:01 PM] johanincr: Alright thanks! We already have a recording from that dallas show but this might be different
[12 Minutes Ago 01:58 PM] Milan: maybe I should've start a thread here...
[12 Minutes Ago 01:58 PM] Milan: here's his profile page - http://www.youtube.com/user/sugaree53
[14 Minutes Ago 01:56 PM] Milan: Hello - just got back online - I didn't send a PM yet - wanted first to hear your opinion, as like I said I thought it could be something that is already circulating (although it's still interesting, since he is the taper)... he posted his comment 3 weeks ago (towards the bottom of the comments page): http://tinyurl.com/6d7qc3
[21 Minutes Ago 01:49 PM] johanincr: Milan, have you heard back from the dallas guy? And can you tell us which video had the comment you posted? Thanks!
[39 Minutes Ago 01:31 PM] hawkfan369: put it up man!!!!
[40 Minutes Ago 01:30 PM] ilovejimi: Happy happy Joy Joy!!!!!
[41 Minutes Ago 01:29 PM] hawkfan369: somebody say new source?
[49 Minutes Ago 01:21 PM] ilovejimi:
[1 Hour Ago 01:05 PM] ilovejimi: yes yes send PM please
[1 Hour Ago 12:47 PM] Milan: ... and even if there is a Dallas february 1968 recording, maybe this is a new source? who knows? we need to hear from the real Jimi geeks here.
[1 Hour Ago 12:45 PM] Milan: Yo Steve - I was quoting (see my previous entry in the shoutbox) this fella from Youtube; he just casually mentioned he has the whole recording - he was the taper - and I wondered if it's circulating at all, or is it that we - well ME, I rewl! heh heh - found a new treasure here. I could send him a PM...
[1 Hour Ago 12:41 PM] Steev: The Jimi boards are coming alive with requests 4 this http://www.united-mutations.com/c/ch...ck_hendrix.htm as JCB has just passed. Roberto, this seems 2 B a concert from Italy. Do uou, or anybody else have any knowledge of this? Thanx.
[1 Hour Ago 12:39 PM] Steev: Milan - R U saying U have a complete recording of that Dallas show and it's in a drawer in your house? UN-circulated?
[1 Hour Ago 12:20 PM] Milan: ... eh? is that boot circulating? or shall we contact that fella
[1 Hour Ago 12:20 PM] Milan: My 1st concert I ever saw was Jimi with the Soft Machine--in Dallas- February 1968. It was so cold. I beleive it was his 1st time to the States. I was 14 yrs old in junior high and my parents took me. I had just gotten a brand new General Electric cassete recorder for Christmas and I brought it to the show. I still have that blessed recording.
[1 Hour Ago 12:19 PM] Milan: I was just reading this Youtube comment, posted 3 weeks ago by "sugaree"

Milan
11-06-08, 03:29 PM
So anyway, that fella seems ok - his last log in was 1 day ago, and we're both one of the oldest registered Youtube members - early 2006, so I hope he'll be cool about a nice little friendly PM.

But like I said, I think someone else - or few of us - well, you, should make the best sounding PM and I'll just forward it (I'm a foreigner and english is my 2nd language).*

Whaddaya think? It might seem a bit nerdy, but let us not forget the Univibes guys who travelled across the States for a new Jimi tape, innit. ( http://www.univibes.com/JimiPlaysStPaul.html )

*edit: or if anyone else here has a Youtube account of course... and is American so can even meet the guy in person if necessary (again, check out the St. Paul review for that example)

heyyo
11-06-08, 03:48 PM
[2 Minutes Ago 02:18 PM] johanincr: you should offer him something he would like, like photos of the show he attended (now theres a good tip) Protip... :) and lets try to make a short PM so that he reads it :)

Milan
11-06-08, 05:14 PM
ok, after PMs exchange with heyyo and long and constructive work ( http://www.themainsail.com/members/images/11901/the-simpsons-homer-thinking-100x100.png "hmmm... well... ok... huh?" ) on the concept of the Youtube PM, we came up with a nice post.

Now, about the few Dallas '68 pics we could include in it... ?

johanincr
11-06-08, 05:21 PM
i just emailed a pic to heyyo, and will look for more on the computer.:000-thanx:guys.

Milan
12-09-08, 12:22 PM
finally something - part of the answer from the taper:

"My little tape's sound quality is bad but I still cherish it. I dont't play it very often anymore --I need to get that digitized before I lose it for good."

now what? offer him the circulating version as a gift, and in return...

feel free to throw in your ideas, right?

johanincr
12-09-08, 12:49 PM
dont worry Milan, we're working on this.

lay back and groove, all will be well... :-)

Milan
12-09-08, 12:57 PM
okey-dokey!

MourningStar
12-09-08, 02:06 PM
finally something - part of the answer from the taper:

"My little tape's sound quality is bad but I still cherish it. I dont't play it very often anymore --I need to get that digitized before I lose it for good."

now what? offer him the circulating version as a gift, and in return...

feel free to throw in your ideas, right?
I was in a similar position. I too did not think much of my tape until I mentioned I had it, and all of a sudden I am jammed with inquiries from every forum I frequented. Although a few thought I was one of 'those' hoarding this piece of history, it was not until I had entered the torrent community that I discovered 'another world' and had learned of it's value to a community I never knew existed. Fortunately, I ran into H-P, an unknown to me individual on the otherside of the planet, and our communication, due to his fine diplomatic character, gave me the necessary 'warm & fuzzy' confidence to part with my tape and turn it over to a trusted techno-colleague of his for a remarkable transformation (like night & day, literally). These two maintained constant communication with me thru-out the process and I never once felt uncomfortable.

You may forward this to that taper (what is his name?) if you think it will help 'loosen' him up. If needed, I am willing to personally communicate with him as well. It's not often that the Hendrix-torrent community has the fortune of being in actual communication/contact with the 'source'. Speaking as a 'source' myself, I can truthfully state what a fantastic, friendly and intelligent community you are here (and at other sites) and I appreciate the initial reception and continuing comaraderie.

peace,

Olvator
12-09-08, 06:03 PM
dont worry Milan, we're working on this.

lay back and groove, all will be well... :-)

wonderful! sounds very good to me. Let me know if I can help.
thanks, OLVE