PDA

View Full Version : eBay Tape and other nagging questions

staygroovy
11-15-08, 05:47 PM
Sorry, I was on the pier looking at the Sunset and got distracted...

What is this 'eBay Sampler Tape' ($10K tape) that everyone is talking about....? Is this something that someone
tried to sell but was stopped by the estate, or restricted to a private sale without any copies being allowed? :confused:

Also, does the Jimpress BF book have a link to give people a way to search archives for ALL versions of a song off of
their database? Wouldn't that be so cool to be able to do cross-references querying a database tool?

I am currently looking for something like what was done with 'Valleys Of Neptune' , but for 'Gypsy Eyes'. A compilation
of all known versions of that song in their best state.

As well trying to understand the story behind 'The Rising Sun' that was on 'Voodoo Soup' in short form, and other
volume as an 8 minute piece.

Was this supposed to be an orchestral intro to "Hey Baby", or was it considered a completely separate song
altogether ??

Lastly, in the 'Black Gold' bootleg there is a version of "Voodoo Chile" where the guitar is isolated whenever
Jimi's solo comes up. Does anyone know who did this, when, and would there happen to be other songs like this,
with some isolated bits that suddenly crop up?

I'll go eat my cereals now....:rimshot:

sg

dino77
11-15-08, 09:35 PM
Sorry, I was on the pier looking at the Sunset and got distracted...

What is this 'eBay Sampler Tape' ($10K tape) that everyone is talking about....? Is this something that someone
tried to sell but was stopped by the estate, or restricted to a private sale without any copies being allowed? :confused:

Also, does the Jimpress BF book have a link to give people a way to search archives for ALL versions of a song off of
their database? Wouldn't that be so cool to be able to do cross-references querying a database tool?

I am currently looking for something like what was done with 'Valleys Of Neptune' , but for 'Gypsy Eyes'. A compilation
of all known versions of that song in their best state.

As well trying to understand the story behind 'The Rising Sun' that was on 'Voodoo Soup' in short form, and other
volume as an 8 minute piece.

Was this supposed to be an orchestral intro to "Hey Baby", or was it considered a completely separate song
altogether ??

Lastly, in the 'Black Gold' bootleg there is a version of "Voodoo Chile" where the guitar is isolated whenever
Jimi's solo comes up. Does anyone know who did this, when, and would there happen to be other songs like this,
with some isolated bits that suddenly crop up?

I'll go eat my cereals now....:rimshot:

sg

"The new rising sun" was, according to some sources, recorded in October 1968. It's an earlier, separate song with the same working title. Some sources point to the 1968 song as being recorded in autumn 1969, as the Univibe effect on the guitar wasn't invented until mid 1969.
As for Voodoo chile, probably Eddie Kramer was checking the recording levels before proper recording began. Soundcheck, if you like.

staygroovy
11-15-08, 09:50 PM
As for Voodoo chile, probably Eddie Kramer was checking the recording levels before proper recording began. Soundcheck, if you like.

Figured that much about "The New Rising Sun". There was a really great melody in those arpeggiated chords at the top.

In regards to "Voodoo Chile", this was definitely done after the fact. The EXACT guitar solo spots used in the
'keeper mix' that made it to the LP are isolated, as if the person who did it purposely wanted to precisely showcase
the guitar and nothing else; also the overall mix sounds quite rough, like what you'd get when just putting up the
faders on the console and hearing something quick, with none of the effects and careful balance of a final mixdown.

Curious to know who actually did this, and if they did the same thing to any other songs.... Again this is on the
'Black Gold' CD box set.

sg