PDA

View Full Version : Jimi's hand or not?

Ayler
12-20-08, 05:01 AM
Published in Rock & Folk, Hors-SÚrie n░9, 1994:

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/6936/jimirfok4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

According to Steven Roby, it is from Jimi's hand. Steve Rodham doesn't think so (according to wiki).

The "a" & "f" don't look like Jimi's own style of writing IMHO... but it's hard to be sure.

Anyone knows where does that list comes from? Could it be a fake???

Olvator
12-20-08, 12:36 PM
i say yes

Ayler
12-20-08, 01:28 PM
Yes it's from Jimi or yes it's not from Jimi ?

MourningStar
12-20-08, 03:50 PM
Yes it's from Jimi or yes it's not from Jimi ?yes - it could be a fake. - ;)

yelapavision
12-22-08, 12:48 PM
Definately looks like Jimi's handwriting to me.

backfromthestorm
02-06-10, 11:31 AM
Fake!

ilovejimi
02-06-10, 11:47 AM
fake

Ayler
02-06-10, 12:09 PM
Jimi usually wrote "Nite" & "Strate", not "Night" & "Straight".

firstrays
02-06-10, 01:10 PM
Now you come to mention it something isn't right.
There seems to be different persons handwriting.
Dolly Dagger doesn't look like Jimi's writing and compare the 'D' and 'g' in Drifting with Dolly Dagger - completely different.
mick

purple jim
02-06-10, 01:40 PM
After comparing the page with those in "Cherokee Mist - The Lost Writings", it does have the feel of Jimi's handwriting. However, it's the "g"s which are strange. Look at "Dolly Dagger", that is the way Jimi wrote his "g"s but for the rest of the page they are completely different, in a style that Jimi never used.

johanincr
02-06-10, 03:14 PM
fake i think.

what about exhibit 2, handwriting by jimi and/or monika?

this is a great idea for a thread, not meaning to hi jack it, we could continue with more exhibits?:homer1:

backfromthestorm
02-06-10, 03:33 PM
Monikas. The original post could be a mixture of Jimi`s and a friend maybe?.... um.... na its def fake.

Theres at least 3 different styles of writing in there.

Fenders Fingers
02-06-10, 03:33 PM
I've always taken it as Jimi's but now you question it and I look closer .......... !
Can we have some more examples of Jimi's genuine material to check out Johanincr?

johanincr
02-06-10, 03:50 PM
Can we have some more examples of Jimi's genuine material to check out Johanincr?
Now that you ask, legally, i think no we cant on this site, realistically:(
A 'fake or not' thread could do no harm though, as long as we have only fakes:)
But most of us have books and magazines and so on which have published real material. One fine book is 'Cherokee Mist: the lost writings' by Bill Nitopi.
It contains many examples and can be picked up on ebay for $3 or less sometimes. Do a 'Hendrix lost writings' search and the book will pop up:)

Fenders Fingers
02-06-10, 03:55 PM
OK, forgot about the legal side.
I have all the books I need but I keep on buying !
Off to the book shelf then........... back soon :)

Fenders Fingers
02-06-10, 04:22 PM
Yet another post gone missing !!!:(
Here goes again.
I'm on the Rodham side. It only took a few mins looking through Bill Nitopi's book to pick up on a number of differences. Also the R&F just does not have the right feel now. It's more than just the difference betwwen a couple of letters.
Can anyone tell me what the R&F pic was taken from, a tape box?

The Earth Blues
02-06-10, 07:53 PM
One thing you have to consider is...who says he didn't write this list with the paper resting on his leg, and not on a table where he could write cleanly.

It's tough to say either way, but we can't assume he was always sitting at tables writing these lists. He might have been in the back of a cab, writing on the seat or on his leg, where everyone's handwriting gets a little messy and a little different.

scoutship
02-06-10, 11:28 PM
Hendrix himself used more than one style of handwriting, not always as florid as what most of us recognize as Jimi's.

Rather than wait for your copy of Nitopi's book I suggest going to Google images with the search terms Jimi Hendrix handwriting.

buffalorattle
02-08-10, 09:27 AM
I would say definately NOT Jimi's handwriting, I always check the lower case letter 'a' . Jimi's is different to the example displayed here

stplsd
02-08-10, 10:25 AM
Published in Rock & Folk, Hors-SÚrie n░9, 1994:

According to Steven Roby, it is from Jimi's hand. Steve Rodham doesn't think so (according to wiki).

The "a" & "f" don't look like Jimi's own style of writing IMHO... but it's hard to be sure.

Anyone knows where does that list comes from? Could it be a fake???

Easy to see it's fake

purple jim
02-08-10, 01:40 PM
Perhaps it written by someone who was working with Jimi. If it was "faked", a faker would surely have put in all four sides.

souldoggie
02-08-10, 06:23 PM
My two cents says it was written by Jimi. It looks authentic to me, but I don't know.
Provenance can be important. From whom does Robey say he got this thing?

idiootti
02-09-10, 04:08 AM
It's not fake but it's not Jimi's handwriting either. I believe it's Eddie Kramer's handwriting, this probably was a work in progress tracklist when he was assembling what finally became Cry of Love.

A picture of the original master boxes for the Band of Gypsys lp was published in the Experience Hendrix magazine years ago, the caption said that the writing on the BOG box was in Eddie's hand and it was identical to this supposed First Rays tracklist. Has someone got that issue handy, I can't get to mine now?

stplsd
02-09-10, 10:52 PM
It's not fake but it's not Jimi's handwriting either.
Then original writing may not be "fake", but it becomes so when it's presented as being in Jimi's hand. Strange, don't you think, how only the g's in dagger are done in Jimi's style but clearly not in his hand?

stplsd
02-10-10, 04:27 AM
^
You only have to compare it with his "list of songs for the LP Strate Ahead" to see.

fennyjames
02-10-10, 12:29 PM
I took a look at it and from the start thought it looked iffy. Looked up true examples on google and I am throwing my vote in as "Fake."

Voodoo Kush
02-10-10, 09:55 PM
Definatley not Jimi's, maybe Eddie Kramer or another assistants handwriting.

scoutship
02-11-10, 12:09 AM
The handwriting is a near-exact match for that on the notes & back of (master tapes) box re: Band of Gypsys/Live at the Fillmore East.

The interesting thing to some, though, is that some years back a couple fake Hendrix autographs made the auction rounds that were almost identical to that in the OP list.

scoutship
02-11-10, 12:12 AM
Strange, don't you think, how only the g's in dagger are done in Jimi's style but clearly not in his hand?

Actually those don't look like Jimi's g's to me, his have an extra, and quite distinctive, stroke in them, though I can see why someone might associate them with his general writing style they and the other letters in 'Dolly Dagger' there were the first tip-off, in my view.

scoutship
02-11-10, 12:18 AM
A picture of the original master boxes for the Band of Gypsys lp was published in the Experience Hendrix magazine years ago, the caption said that the writing on the BOG box was in Eddie's hand and it was identical to this supposed First Rays tracklist.

It doesn't say the writing on that box was in Eddie's hand, it says "Photo [of the original working master of "Band of Gypsys" box] courtesy of Eddie Kramer."

p.s. fwiw Working title for "Band of Gypsys" LP was "Live at the Fillmore East."

stplsd
02-11-10, 01:58 AM
Actually those don't look like Jimi's g's to me, his have an extra, and quite distinctive, stroke in them, though I can see why someone might associate them with his general writing style they and the other letters in 'Dolly Dagger' there were the first tip-off, in my view.

Duh! I didn't say they "looked like Jimi's g's", I said they are "in Jimi's style" [ie they have cicles beneath rather than more conventional tails ie "his general writing style" - ie unlike the g's in the rest of the note] "but clearly not in his hand" [ie they are significantly different from his.]

"Strange though, don't you think?" '[ie why would someone do this?]
Maybe someone just doodling? someone aquainted with Jimi's unusual style innocently attempting to copy his g's [which are pretty cool, as is the rest, esp the a's] and then giving up and just continuing in their usual hand.
Interestingly the rest of this title (D-D) is significantly different from the rest of the handwriting in the note, as all the letters are separate apart from the last two, whereas most of the letters in the other titles are 'joined up' and also the cap D's are completely different, not having the joined up curl that you would expect as per the other 'rounded' cap D's in the note.

stplsd
02-11-10, 02:08 AM
The handwriting is a near-exact match for that on the notes & back of (master tapes) box re: Band of Gypsys/Live at the Fillmore East.

The interesting thing to some, though, is that some years back a couple fake Hendrix autographs made the auction rounds that were almost identical to that in the OP list.

Anyone got copies, so we may compare?

scoutship
02-11-10, 07:49 AM
Duh! I didn't say they "looked like Jimi's g's"

Duhhh but then I didn't say you did, now did I?

Christ dude get a damn grip. This has been covered here before.

http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthread.php?t=1602&page=6

stplsd
02-11-10, 07:02 PM
Duhhh but then I didn't say you did, now did I?

Yes you did actually as you quoted me directly and your post beneath refers directly to it in a misleading manner;-) I'm not saying it was deliberate though;-) If you had read my post correctly (ie without attitude) and responded in neutral manner rather than an apparently pompous attempt at a put down (ie "I can see why.. etc) you should have responded "I agree, those g's...etc.." instead of the contentious "Actually.." [ie 'I think you are wrong..'] and the use of "someone" (ie me) rather than 'some people'/etc ie plural (neutral). And after all your only addition to my (and others) observation was that you considered the g's an initial giveaway.

http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthread.php?t=1602&page=6 (http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthread.php?t=1602&page=6)

And your point here (apart from being offensive) is?

scoutship
02-11-10, 10:19 PM
Yes you did actually as you quoted me directly and your post beneath refers directly to it in a misleading manner;-) I'm not saying it was deliberate though;-) If you had read my post correctly (ie without attitude) and responded in neutral manner rather than an apparently pompous attempt at a put down (ie "I can see why.. etc) you should have responded "I agree, those g's...etc.." instead of the contentious "Actually.." [ie 'I think you are wrong..'] and the use of "someone" (ie me) rather than 'some people'/etc ie plural (neutral). And after all your only addition to my (and others) observation was that you considered the g's an initial giveaway.

Hey here's an idea: why not actually hold yourself to the standard you seem to only imagine you do while expecting something like it from everyone else?

You certainly do have a tin eye on many occasions, not only those times you excuse yourself with an "I was off my head," or whatever, as you've done more than once in your compulsion to feel right while doing little more than asserting an opinion not much better than anyone else's.

Good luck.

stplsd
02-12-10, 08:51 AM
To correct your misleadingly edited quote:

http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthread.php?t=1602&page=6 (http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthread.php?t=1602&page=6)

ilovejimi
02-13-10, 12:24 AM
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo279/detroitlionssuck/jimi6.jpg

backfromthestorm
02-13-10, 10:24 AM
Nope... Too small.