PDA

View Full Version : Mlk

Roland Stone
12-30-08, 08:14 PM
So, we've all heard the legend about Jimi dedicating an amazingly moving song to MLK on the night MLK was assasinated. Was it David Henderson who first wrote about it? Or Charles Murray?

Just Ask the Axis has Jimi in Virginia Beach, Virginia on April 4, 1968 with no further details. But I thought the legend had him in Newark.

But now, check out the new Janis Ian quote in "What They Said About the Man"! In her recently published autobiography, "Society's Child", Janis says that she was WITH Jimi in Greenwich Village at the Generation Club on the night MLK died. And that they were in the audience watching B.B. King when MLK was "officially declared dead".

Now I suppose there's some wiggle room to keep the urban legend about Jimi's song dedication alive, because Jimi could have still been playing his show when it was learned that MLK was SHOT, ended his show early and then headed to the Village where it might have been hours later before MLK was "officially declared dead".

What do you think? Another interesting side note is that Ian's recollection would place B.B. King, Jimi, Janis Ian and Janis JOPLIN together in the same room that fateful night!

MourningStar
12-30-08, 10:22 PM
See J. Black's JIMI HENDRIX The Ultimate Experience for more info. It has Jimi doing a gig on 04.04.68 at the Civic Dome in VA with a quote by stage lighting designer Mark Boyle, a gig on 05.04.68 at Symphony Hall in NJ followed by a jam later at the Generation Club. For this date there are quotes from several individuals, Noel Redding among them.

I have never heard, or read any literature regarding any 'legend' involving these dates or time frame

Roland Stone
12-31-08, 01:33 AM
It would be interesting to investigate how much else of Janis Ian's recollections about the night of April 4, 1968 are accurate, starting with whether B.B. King opened for Big Brother & The Holding Company at the Generation Club that night.

Also did the Generation Club really become Electric Lady Studios?

What time MLK was shot and what time was it in NYC when he died? Was it possible for Jimi to finish a gig in Virginia Beach "early" and travel to NYC the same night in time to catch B.B. King's opening set?

I don't doubt Janis Ian's sincerity, but time has a way of playing tricks on memories.

Roland Stone
12-31-08, 01:41 AM
I was confused about the date of the Newark show. According to "Setting the Record Straight" by John McDermott, that show was the night after the assasination, April 5. And Jimi (again?) went to the Generation Club after the show, this time to see Buddy Guy.

Roland Stone
12-31-08, 09:33 AM
Confirmed - the Generation Club was sold to Jimi Hendrix and Mike Jeffrey in 1968 (not sure which month).

MourningStar
12-31-08, 11:00 AM
... time has a way of playing tricks on memories.Yeah, time AND events (not really tricks though). For instance, I can recall the exact time, date and place I was (and even quote some of the discussion) when I learned of the death of Jimi. However, with JFK, MLK or RFK all I can recall is where I was and what I was doing. If someone said, or it was documented that it happened on a certain date I would have to defer.

The Earth Blues
12-31-08, 11:21 AM
What I want to know is it true that Jimi went on for 30 minutes at the "MLK Tribute" and brought everyone to tears. I heard there was audio but have not found it anywhere.

MourningStar
12-31-08, 11:36 AM
^
Jimi performing and people 'in tears' has been documented in various literature. As far as I'm concerned it's true. As to the audio existing, well, if it does, it has not surfaced to my knowledge. It would be tragic if someone (such as I was with my tape) has this and is totally oblivious to the existence of this 'underground world' we live in. Recently celebrated my first birthday in this 'world'.

The Earth Blues
12-31-08, 11:47 AM
^
Jimi performing and people 'in tears' has been documented in various literature. As far as I'm concerned it's true. As to the audio existing, well, if it does, it has not surfaced to my knowledge. It would be tragic if someone (such as I was with my tape) has this and is totally oblivious to the existence of this 'underground world' we live in. Recently celebrated my first birthday in this 'world'.
Thanks MS for the quick reply. Agreed, it would be a real shame if that was just stored away in someones attic! I bet there is a lot out there that we don't know about.