PDA

View Full Version : John Mayer

Roland Stone
12-31-08, 05:01 PM
I was in Blockbuster video today and they were playing a Blu-Ray DVD of John Mayer in concert. He was playing a cover of "Wait Until Tomorrow". He did a pretty good job on the song and I suppose its a good thing that he's bringing Jimi to some young girls who might not otherwise get the exposure, but I was still left kind of underwhelmed. He didn't really bring much of anything new to the arrangement or the guitar licks.

I think if I want to watch or listen to that sort of pretty-boy covering Hendrix thing, I prefer Jamie Cullum. Cullum covers "The Wind Cries Mary" very nicely. And because he's a piano player instead of a guitarist, Cullum brings something fresh to the song and avoids some of the unfavorable copycat comparisons that Mayer will always face.

The Earth Blues
12-31-08, 06:25 PM
Check out John Mayer's cover of Bold as Love...very good, I love it!

MourningStar
12-31-08, 07:45 PM
... I was still left kind of underwhelmed. He didn't really bring much of anything new to the arrangement or the guitar licks.I'm not surprised. You're talkin' 'bout God. It cannot get better than that! - ;)

The Earth Blues
12-31-08, 07:59 PM
I'm not surprised. You're talkin' 'bout God. It cannot get better than that! - ;)
Damn right no one will match Jimi, but some people can do him justice...or try to.

Roland Stone
12-31-08, 09:11 PM
Sometimes I wonder if Jamie Cullum and John Mayer were separated at birth! They should combine their talents.

There are many different versions of Cullum doing "The Wind Cries Mary" on Youtube but I think this one is pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjuyRK0lzK0&feature=related

And this one is kind of interesting - it's "The Making of" his pro-shot Mary video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BquPq9cG-o&feature=related

And finally this is the pro-shot video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt76beIw-rI

MourningStar
12-31-08, 11:59 PM
Damn right no one will match Jimi, but some people can do him justice...or try to.Justice... or try to??!! Hey, as long as it's in genuine, sincere homage to The Man, the more the better and I'll not declare good or bad. Art, like beauty, is in the eye/ear of the beholder.

dino77
01-01-09, 01:10 AM
It's a free world. But boring farts like John Mayer should leave Hendrix's music alone.

The Earth Blues
01-01-09, 03:07 AM
I think that's unfair to say about John Mayer...give him credit for trying to carry the legacy of Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan and the blues all together alive! You have to give him a little bit of respect for that! John Mayer himself admits he's not the best man for the job, but he's the one in the best position for the job, and he's right!

Roland Stone
01-01-09, 04:54 PM
I'd say Mayer does a good - but not great - job with his Hendrix covers. I think Jamie Cullum has a bit more originality. The two of them really should hook up though.

The Earth Blues
01-01-09, 10:01 PM
I'd say Mayer does a good - but not great - job with his Hendrix covers. I think Jamie Cullum has a bit more originality. The two of them really should hook up though.
Yea because he plays piano. Quite honestly the Jamie Cullum cover sounds like a pretty straight forward piano arrangement to me.

Obviously Mayer's is a pretty much straight forward guitar cover, but his version of Wait Until Tomorrow, not to mention this bootleg I used to have of him doing an almost all Hendrix set. It was great! Brought an SRV flavor with a lot of "John Mayer" in it.