PDA

View Full Version : The Groupie Incident at Newport 69

hyper_hippie
01-10-09, 06:54 PM
Sharing what some may not have seen.... The incident captured in a series of photos.

http://www.markwhaley.com/photo.htm

Scroll 3/4 down Mark's page and see his photo archive of this colorful event. As he tell this delightful story, you can click on each of the photos for enlargements.

I love this, and if anyone has large clear pictures, P-L-E-A-S-E post them.

Olvator
01-10-09, 07:19 PM
here are some slightly better resolution pics I have from that date...

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/olvator/1969_06_22_002.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/olvator/Jammin_with_Jimi.jpg

hyper_hippie
01-11-09, 11:41 AM
Thank you for those, Olvie.

I also found this one posted earlier by Mourningstar and you, Jimi on top of the groupie and Eric Burden.

This shot flips me out. It is amazing, and I don't know if there has ever been another stage incident like this one. If there is, I'd like to hear about it. If someone knows, please start a thread of stage incidents.

Roland Stone
01-11-09, 12:07 PM
Sharing what some may not have seen.... The incident captured in a series of photos.

http://www.markwhaley.com/photo.htm

I just got this additional info from Mark Whaley:

I believe the photos were taken by an L.A. Free Press Photographer with a telephoto lens out at the sound tower in the middle of the audience. Or they were purchased by the Free Press Newspaper from a freelance. They were still photographs. The dots are because the original proof sheet was screened with velox dots. The fact that I was at the photostat company, hired by the Free Press to screen these film strips 5 yrs aft the death of Jimi, is a miracle and a blessing.

Rock ON! Let your Freak Flag Fly!

Mark Whaley

stplsd
01-13-09, 06:10 PM
This woman known as "Sunshine" (aka Mary Storey - now known to be a hoax identity) appears to be the woman singing lead vocals on the recordings from this jam and is seen singing lead vocal in several photographs. This is the first time I have heard her referred to as a "groupie" and wonder where this tag came from?

stplsd
01-13-09, 06:40 PM
It appears that the tag "groupie" comes solely from the above markwhaley site, where she is described as "screaming" briefly. Whereas on the recording she appears to be an integral part of the jam singing for quite a while, starting with an ad-lib vocal duet with Buddy Miles and later singing a repetative chorus from Train Kept A Rollin' and other ad-lib vocals, she is the only woman photographed singing lead vocal at his jam, the film only shows Tracy Nelson and other woman members of her band singing backing together, but unfortunately doesn't have any footage showing "Sunshine" singing lead

Milan
01-13-09, 07:49 PM
How, oh how I wish that bit was filmed... maybe even more than the Townshend/Hoffman Woodstock incident... GREAT story and GREAT photos; thanx for the link, 'hyper hippie'.

hyper_hippie
01-13-09, 10:56 PM
stplsd, if you know where there is additional information on Mary, I would love to check it out. I have heard her name, but don't know anything about her.

I would venture to say from the photos that she could not possibly be singing the lead vocals you refer to. Although she has a mike, she is on stage a short time, having jumped up in an unauthorized way to be rushed at by Eric Burden and someone else who are seen tussling with her.

I'm not sure that Burden lowered her to the ground as stated. They may have fallen down after the airplane spin. (!!) Anyway, the whole chaotic scene hardly indicates that she was ever authorized to be on stage.

That being said, there is certainly no evidence here that means that she was a groupie.

I think that the female vocals you refer to were probably done by someone else. Could you direct me to the photographs you cite where she is singing lead vocals for these jams?

Whoever the singer was, she sang on at least 3 extended tunes, so she probably couldn't be the woman that appears in the Whaley photos. She doesn't sound anything like Tracy Nelson. On "Power of Soul," she sounds like a professional singer, belting it out like a soul singer. The woman in the Mark Whaley photos may have screamed once or twice during that incident, but the woman who sings on the jams is not screaming, except when she asks the crowd to "clap your hands and stomp your feet."

I think Mark Whaley's description of her is probably accurate. Plus, he probably got some more scoop on things with the benefit of hindsight. Can we get any more info from Mark?

Still looking for the video............................................. !

stplsd
01-14-09, 06:14 PM
Straight Ahead: You were also on the same bill with Jimi at the 1969 Newport Pop Festival. There are some great photos and footage of you and everybody else that showed up to jam that day. What can you tell us about that concert?

Eric Burdon: Jimi had done such a bad show on Friday that he came back and did a second one on Sunday.

Straight Ahead: There are some photos from that show of you and this blond haired lady who went by the name of Sunshine, she may also have been known as Mary Story ...

Eric Burdon: Yeah, I think that's the lady that's claiming to be the mother of one of his kids. I thought about that, and everybody has their own taste. She didn't seem to figure as the usual Jimi girl, but she was always around, and a fixture of those times. It's quite possible that the two of them were closer than I knew.

Straight Ahead: Was she a singer?

Eric Burdon: Yeah she was a singer... kind of a Janis, but not really. I never figured her and Jimi being together. I knew the girls first hand that Jimi hung out with, and there definetly was a certain ilk: or breed or standard that had to be met... all they way up to "mmm, can I have twin Chinese girls" or something like that. Until I read in your magazine that there was a closer relationship between the two of them, I didn't know it.

Straight Ahead: I agree. It's a very bizarre story, and one that needed further investigation.

Check out the 8mm Newport video (features some different parts of the jam, but poorer quality than the 16mm, silent with added un-synched sound. The cut I have of this is titled on the film “BUDDY MILES ERIC BURDON SUNSHINE” ). Part of this shows a roadie setting up a mic’ for Tracy Nelson who then sings a very brief duet with Buddy while an [unknown?] black man plays the drums, she then appears to leave the lead singing to Buddy and joins her backing singers, dancing with them. This also has footage of the mysterious “Sunshine” (Mary Story) [now known to be a hoax identity], at ease and singing lead and dancing as part of the jam, at one point Eric picks her up upside down over his shoulders with his head between her legs and spins around with her, he then stands her back on the stage and they embrace each other in a very friendly and familiar manner, she then goes back to singing etc. there are are several cuts in the film here, at some point Eric appears back on stage and they somehow end up lying on the stage with Jimi crouching astride them, after another cut in the film he then jumps off laughing and sticks his tongue out at them, the film is cut here again - for an unknown length of time - and resumes with Eric giving her a piggyback ride off stage.
This film is cut in several places so her appearance was obviously longer, for instance she isn’t seen in the crouching pose singing up close to Jimi’s guitar while he plays - as in the B&W photos (where she is clearly not singing backing vocal). Eric is only seen singing in the video in a couple of very short clips although he sang for quite a while..
Unfortunately peoples memories of events nearly forty years ago are often innaccurate and can become more “colourful” with time. Whaley’s embarrassingly (for him) salacious, juvenile titles and comments say it all: “Super Groupie”; “Super Groupie makes a move for Jimi” “The groupie is screaming and moving closer to Jimi Hendrix” [or maybe just singing in a classic rock singer pose as it would appear from this photo?]; “Groupie Gets Kinky!” “Now the groupie is using the mike to represent her deepest desires of Jimi” [calm down son, she’s only singing!]“Eric Burdon Can't Take Any More” [this shot is clearly out of sequence and belongs after the following three. At the point in the film where this photo was taken “Brian” the roadie - never mind attempting to remove her from the stage - obviously has nothing to do with Eric and Sunshine and is just walking across the stage, and Eric at this point is just placing Sunshine back on her feet after whirling her around draped over his shoulders] “crud Cirque du Soliel” [excuse me?!]” “pile of bodies” [how about Eric & Sunshine]“ “bending the joy stick” [????]

In actual fact there is no drama, nobody is trying to “remove” Sunshine from the stage, it’s just Eric, "Sunshine" (whoever she might be) and Jimi just having some fun, singing, jamming and fooling around

hyper_hippie
01-15-09, 12:08 AM
THANK YOU so much for providing that, stp.

1. Eric Burden infers in the interview that she was a groupie, but then he hedges and says that he isn't sure. He seems to grudgingly admit that she is a singer, but is more intent on trashing her, and says nothing of her involvement at Newport. His dislike of her seems to contradict not only the paragraphs at the end, though, but also the many smiles that he has in the various photos.

2. The paragraphs at the end; where did those come from? Who is speaking and reviewing the videos? Comments are made specifically about Mark Whaley's photos as though they were being made at this moment, and maintains that he is completely wrong about everything he said and concluded about the photos, and it does so with so much credibility that it really does refute all of Mark Whaley's observations, except the ones that he's not paying much attention to what is happening with the performers.

I have to agree that the 3 - Jimi, Eric, and Sunshine - are all comfortable with each other and having fun. She and Burden are all smiles as he starts to pick her up, and just look at the photo of Jimi on top of them; turn it upside down as I have below, and you see the look of incredible fun/joy on Sunshine's face as she lies on the stage with Eric.

I am thinking that Jimi got on top because he knew them and knew that he wouldn't get hurt, not something that he would take a chance on doing with an unknown stage crasher. They are are not too far from the edge of a tall stage, and a fall would not be fun.

Wow, how a story can turn on a dime! The photos that Whaley has don't show her getting on or off stage, or singing much, but I don't think she grabbed a mike; I think it was provided to her. She could not have climbed up on stage from the audience; the stage is too high. In close examination of the figure named Brian, it seems that he isn't paying any attention to Sunshine.

So anyway, where are these videos, hmmmmmm?

Thanks again, stp. When we discussed this on the ElectricSkyChurch forum, no one refuted it.

stplsd
01-15-09, 07:06 PM
Thanks for your reply. Much as I enjoyed seeing the photos, I really felt that the Whaley article had to be replied to, as it was not what I remembered of the film I had seen. So I searched out my video of this which I found as part of a 3 vdeo disc titled "Playing The Radio" (which also has Singer Bowl and Albert Hall film) and compared it with the photos, which took me a good while. So the review is my observation and my comments.

There is a "composite" Newport video available on this very site, and I would imagine it is a composite of this 8mm with the 16mm footage. If it's not I'll try and upload mine, wouldn't want to duplicate.

It would be interesting to read the original mention of Sunshine in the other Straight Ahead magazine article that Eric refers to, but I haven't seen it

Eric Burden infers in the interview that she was a groupie, but then he hedges and says that he isn't sure. He seems to grudgingly admit that she is a singer, but is more intent on trashing her, and says nothing of her involvement at Newport. His dislike of her seems to contradict not only the paragraphs at the end, though, but also the many smiles that he has in the various photos.

I don't see that he infers she's a groupie, or says that he's not sure about that, and "more intent on trashing her" seems a rather extreme description of what he says

He does say she sang, was "kind of a Janis," (whatever that means?) and then adds, "but not really" (not really what?)

Eric - it should be noted - has great difficulty remembering any real details when it comes to Hendrix, and usually covers this up with nonsense and extreme opinions that have little bearing on reality. Just listen to his rubbish about her not being the kind of girl...blah blah, and about Jimi's taste in women "Chinese twins" etc... blah blah. So, Jimi wasn't into young, attactive, fun loving, blonde singers, apparently?

"She and Burden are all smiles as he starts to pick her up."

In the video you will see that he has actually just stood her back on the stage after whirling her around (as I mentioned in my last letter)

"The photos that Whaley has don't show her ..... singing much"

Most of the (only 11) photos are of the acrobatics going on, which are a photographers dream I would presume. There's only one of Eric singing (well only clapping hands really), and she is certainly singing in four of the shots. Of the other six: there's four from the whirling incident, and only two from the later lying on the stage incident.

MourningStar
01-15-09, 08:20 PM
... He does say she sang, was "kind of a Janis," (whatever that means?) ...The reference is to Janis Joplin.

I was at this festival and she did sing. Was not for too long and was not my (and others) 'cup-of-tea'.

hyper_hippie
01-15-09, 09:53 PM
Thanks, stp. I am going to look for that composite video. All the vids of Newport that I have do not include this sequence.

As far as others at the jams, including a black drummer other than Buddy, I would like to see that, too. On a brief trip to NYC around '68 or '69 (sorry, time back then is a bit hazy for me) I was told that the black scene there included the Chambers Bros along with Jimi, Buddy, and Sly Stone, and I believe that the Chambers Bros appeared at this festival. (My friends did not hang with them; they mostly fulfilled this group's affinity for white powder from S. America.)

Photos that I see include a number of black musicians, so I would expect to see the Chambers. I wondered whether one of the jams was meant to be a black happening with this group of friends from NYC. If they weren't from the Chambers' band, who were they? I thought Buddy was there with his band, but another black drummer doesn't support that.

It may have been a melting pot happening, too, with Rare Earth and Tracy Nelson's group Mother Earth, who were mostly if not all white, I believe. I recall that Rare Earth was billed, but I don't know if Tracy was with Mother Earth at the time.

Anyway, my point, if there is one, is that Jimi appeared to be moving to his black music phase during that time, and his ideas for that peaked with this festival appearance, because one week later was the Denver gig where Noel left. If Jimi was encouraged by making music with his black musician friends at this event, then it may have been his view that this gig was so artistically satisfying for him that the JHE trio didn't cut it for him anymore.

It may have been these jams that moved him to terminate the JHE. I know that Noel left voluntarily, but I think Jimi was glad that he did.

MourningStar
01-15-09, 11:32 PM
It may have been these jams that moved him to terminate the JHE.Hmmm, an intersesting thought, 'may' being the operative word. I don't think so. If I recall correctly, Jimi had long before this event, gone on record to 'expand' the band and even alluding to the fact that the trio concept had long since run it's course. And as to the 'black' associative theory, not much there since the short-term follow-up, G,S & R was a 'mixed bag (black, white, latin). Granted, this was followed by the the all-black BOG, but from my take of all the literature I've come across, Jimi never gave us the impression that this was a going to be long-term situation. Time would bear this out as a reasonable assumption. My observation of Jimi's much too short career path is one of an artist in 'perpetual transition'. Jimi was definitely aware of his own musical evolution and was always struggling with the best way to realize his progression. For me, it's totally awsome that in spite of 'all this', he managed to give us the treasures (and memories) we are enjoying to this day.

my $0.02,

stplsd
01-16-09, 06:34 AM
The reference is to Janis Joplin.

I was at this festival and she did sing. Was not for too long and was not my (and others) 'cup-of-tea'.

When I questioned what he meant by "like Janis" I was meaning in what way was she like Janis, not who she was, as I naturally took for granted that everyone would assume he was referring to Joplin

I have never seen any evidence that she sang here. Possibly a mistake for the above "Sunshine" [identity unknown, looks very like some photos of Bonnie Bramlett] who Eric says was like Janis [Joplin]. Given it was forty years ago and an awful lot of those attending were obviously spaced it just sounds like one of those stories. Surely some reliable info - news report (music press) or other would have mentioned this, I mean Janis and Jimi biggest hippie stars of the time - no news?

MourningStar
01-16-09, 10:19 AM
...I have never seen any evidence that she sang here...I know where I was and what I saw. If you choose that it is not enough for you to believe it, whatEVER dude. For me, it was (in '69) and is a non-issue. Hope you find your 'evidence'.

peace,

stplsd
01-16-09, 10:56 AM
Sorry, but you just claiming something doesn't make it a fact. She was after all at the peak of her fame at this time, why is there hardly any mention of her, it's not as if most of the other acts were huge names.

Olvator
01-16-09, 10:59 AM
I know where I was and what I saw. If you choose that it is not enough for you to believe it, whatEVER dude. For me, it was (in '69) and is a non-issue. Hope you find your 'evidence'.

peace,

Marcos, i think what he meant was whether Janis sang during the jam with Jimi. And I have to add that to my knowledge also neither Big Brother nor Kozmik Blues Band were billed for Newport 69. But while they were also not billed in 1968, it seems that Big Brother did indeed perform at Newport in 1968. Could it be that you mixed this up maybe? were you at both festivals?

Olvator
01-16-09, 11:09 AM
hmmmm....ok then. the official Janis site says she did in fact appear at Newport in 1969....guess Marcos is right then.

http://janisjoplin.net/chronology/#1969

strange though that neither Wikipedia nor any other sources (except for Mourning Star :-) ever stated that....

stplsd
01-16-09, 11:14 AM
A quote from the Newport festival on wikipedia:

"There were two separate events staged in the late 1960s that are commonly referred to as the "Newport Pop Festival." The first was called the Newport Pop Festival, held at the Orange County Fairgrounds in Costa Mesa, California, the weekend of August 3-4, 1968. The second event was originally billed as "Newport 69," and was held over the three-day weekend of June 20-22, 1969 in Northridge, California at Devonshire Downs. In published writings over the last 40 years, this latter event has been referred to as the "Newport 69 Pop Festival," the "Newport Pop Festival 1969" and simply the "Newport Pop Festival." Subsequently, much confusion has been created over the years between the 1968 and 1969 events. Some of this confusion was generated by the participating musicians themselves who, later, in their interviews, kept getting the two events mixed up."

Big Brother (feat.JJ) weren't billed for either festival mentioned above and the only evidence they did appear at the earlier 68 one is word of mouth.

I can add a third - Big Brother (feat. JJ) played the Newport Folk festival at Rhode Island in 1968, there are also photos and advertising to prove it.

The Kozmic Blues Band only became known by this name posthumously, titled after the LP, at the time they were known as Janis Joplin and her revue or Janis Joplin and band or some such
I've written to the JJ web site to see if I can get more info

On the official website of the Janis Joplin estate the only entry between the dates June 16- 26 is recording Kozmic blues in LA

MourningStar
01-16-09, 12:17 PM
OK Olve - confusion is one of my better character attributes. If the issue is in reference to Janis Joplin at Newport '69, then (1) yes, she came on stage breifly and (2) no - she did not sing. This much I did witness. And for some obscure reason (yeah right!), I do not believe the time of her stage appearance coincided with the legendary jam, but rather it was she that 'announced' the surprise appearance of Jimi . HOWEVER, if evidence surfaces that Janis did sing then I defer to 'artificial influences' totally within my control. - ;)

my apologies to all for the mix-up.

peace out,

stplsd
01-16-09, 12:26 PM
Easy to mix stuff up from those times.

Been there, can hardly remember it - that's me and I'm only talking about from late 69 on

Just found the Rolling Stone review of the Newport Pop festival 1968. No mention of Big Brother or Janis at: http://www.dead.net/archives/1968/clippings/rolling-stone-article-about-newport-pop-festival

Rather looks like in their zeal some people are conflating the three concerts and that she only actually performed at the Newport Folk festival in 1968

The oficial web site of the Janis Joplin estate http://www.officialjanis.com/ (http://www.officialjanis.com/)
only lists the 1968 Newport Folk Festival in R.I. . The two Newport Pop festivals 68 & 69 are not mentioned at all, neither is there any contemporary witness, no advertising, no press articles [I have subsequently found the Rolling Stone article which mentions her attendance on the 1st day, see later post], no photos, no film, no performers mention her being there when interviewed about the festival. The only evidence appears to be a confusion of the name “Newport festival” which has then been unfortunately repeated until it has become a minor factoid, and a very few word of mouth, 40 year old memories of the event, no doubt coloured by the above confusion and rumours at the time that she was going to jam with Jimi, as two white women singers actually did. An easy mistake to make.

stplsd
01-16-09, 12:54 PM
As to the performers at this jam from the best info I've found and from film, it would seem:

Jimi – guitar & vocal, Buddy Miles – drums & vocal; Bob Arthur – bass (Mother Earth), Eric Burdon – vocal & “acrobatics”; ‘Sunshine’ [unknown identity, aka "Mary Story" as part of a hoax by Bill Yeager aka "Jimmy Story"] – vocal & “acrobatics”; Tracy Nelson (Mother Earth) vocal/backing vocals; Sadie Cantrell, Irma Routen & Lady Corder - backing vocals (Mother Earth); Cornelius 'Snooky' Flowers baritone & Terry Clements – tenor sax (both Janis Joplin band) who it apears did not perform at this festival, although she attended the 1st day, Terry was formerly in Electric Flag with Buddy); Lee Oskar – harmonica (War); Tom Webb (The Flock) – flute, and [an unknown black man. Possibly from Eric Burdon’s band? MG's Al Jackson?] drums.

"Janis Joplin and her band" (only known as the ‘Kozmic Blues Band’ after they disbanded, from the title of Janis’ LP “I Got Dem Ol Kozmic Blues Again Mama!." ‘Full Tilt’ was only formed in 1970) did not perform at the festival, but as they were recording said LP in nearby Los Angeles between the 16th and 23rd, these two members of her band could easily turn up to jam

The reference by Mark Whaley to one of the sax players Snooky Flowers?(likely from Janis Joplin's band) visible in the photos as being from Rare Earth (who didn't play here) could easily be a slip for Mother Earth (five members of whom are actually jamming with Jimi here, and had played at the festival just prior to the jam)

MourningStar
01-16-09, 01:43 PM
... from the best info I've found and ....And what would that be?

thnx,

stplsd
01-16-09, 01:50 PM
Many different web sites, collectors CD art, and FTBFS, but mainly from the film and other photos. Any other suggestions as to personnel would be most welcome, especially the identity of the unknown drummer

MourningStar
01-16-09, 03:13 PM
... performed at the Newport Folk festival in 1968Correct :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/XiKano/PHOTO/JJNFF68.jpg

MourningStar
01-16-09, 03:34 PM
The following website :

http://www.janisjoplin.net/chronology/

...lists Janis as making an 'appearance' at Newport 69. The operative word 'appearance', would qualify my personal observance (as stated in previous post). What with many sources attesting to Janis' 'appearance', not to mention many of her then 'J.J. Revue' band musicians being present, I'm satisfied to close this chapter.

peace,

hyper_hippie
01-16-09, 04:23 PM
There goes the notion that the unknown drummer was from the Chambers Bros band.

"In 1965, they added a drummer to the group, a white man named Brian Keenan..." It goes on to say that he was with them until 1972.

http://www.classicbands.com/chambers.html

I thought from seeing a concert bill that had their names on it, that they played this gig but now I can't find it. Brume does not seem to have that bill on his great site. I should have saved it when I had the chance! MourningStar, do you recall that the Chambers played this gig?

Anyway, MS, I find your thought that Jimi was in a state of perpetual transition to be particularly insightful, especially when applied to his entire life, birth to leaving. Considering that it was the pattern of his life, musically, romantically, and who knows in how many other ways, maybe the only brief period of stability was the musical facet of the JHE trio under Chas.

Of course, Jimi creatively exploded during this period, going from a backup to calling most of the musical shots.

On the breakup of the trio; I know Jimi had thought about this for a LONG time, but I wondered whether the informal nature of the Newport 69 jams was just the last straw. (Was there any precedent for that at festivals? Did they do it anywhere other than at the Fillmore?)

hyper_hippie
01-16-09, 05:26 PM
http://www.bmasse.com/Images/newport_69_webpage.jpg

The drummer could have been recruited from any number of bands there.

Here's another picture.http://www.wtv-zone.com/ruexperienced/images/Newport_69R.jpg

stplsd
01-16-09, 06:01 PM
The drummer could have been recruited from any number of bands there.

Only the ones with black drummers, MGs drummer Al Jackson, anyone?

On the official website of the Janis Joplin estate the only entry between the dates June 16- 26 is for recording Kozmic blues in LA

Olvator
01-16-09, 07:14 PM
There goes the notion that the unknown drummer was from the Chambers Bros band.

"In 1965, they added a drummer to the group, a white man named Brian Keenan..." It goes on to say that he was with them until 1972.

oh man, Brian Keenan, what a fantastic drummer! and i always thought it was funny that the two soul/funk bands that never really made it in neither the rock scene, cause they were too funky, nor in the funk/soul scene, cause they were too rocky and too psychedelic...anyway, they both had white drummers. hey mourning star, what do you think about brian keenan on drums ever checked him out?

anyways, can you please tell me which tracks from the jam you are referring to with your search for the drummer? i have not listened to this in a very long time, and don´t remember which ones Buddy sang on. I might try and look for a few trademark licks by either Keenaor Jackson Jr.

I would have my doubts about Al Jackson being a part of that freaky jam though, although he certainly is black and would fit into the picture. How about the Rascals, weren´t they a black group as well??? (sorry I just don´t know, i was born in ´73 in cold northern germany LOL)

hyper_hippie
01-16-09, 08:01 PM
Here's a retro review of Newport
http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2007/06/hendrix_at_devonshire_dow.php
It links internally to a short silent clip of Newport, from YouTube, mostly of security problems, but at the end, you can see MourningStar throwing a tear gas canister back at police. (Hah Hah) I've never been tear gassed in California, only in Chicago, so he's one up on me there!

People would shout, "The Revolution is here!" every time they got excited at rock concerts.

Olvator
01-16-09, 08:09 PM
It links internally to a short silent clip of Newport, from YouTube, mostly of security problems, but at the end, you can see MourningStar throwing a tear gas canister back at police. (Hah Hah)

hahaha nice one.

MourningStar
01-16-09, 08:15 PM
Despite what the 'official Janis site' says there was plenty of time to visit the festival, in that the studios were but spitting distance from Northridge.

The Chambers Bros were the festival 'Guest Stars' for Sunday but I honestly do not recall them (I may have been resting my eyes). The Rascals were the festival closers, them I do recall (I am a fanatical fan of their drummer, awesome chops) and they had a few 60's hits ('Good Lovin' being the one with the most airplay), all are white.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/XiKano/PHOTO/Newport69HB.jpg

MourningStar
01-16-09, 08:25 PM
.... but at the end, you can see MourningStar throwing a tear gas canister back at police. (Hah Hah) I've never been tear gassed in California, only in Chicago, so he's one up on me there!Ha!!!! Make that two up on you! When we exited Jimi's concert at the Swing we walked into a cloud of tear gas. Police were attempting to clear the massive ticketless crowd that had gathered to hear the concert thru the auditorium walls before we were let out. They miscalulated the end of show-time (or was it by design? hmmmm) so everyone was dosed!

hyper_hippie
01-16-09, 08:36 PM
Yeah... getting dosed with tear gas.

THOSE WERE THE DAYS :cool:

stplsd
01-16-09, 08:36 PM
How about Marvin Gaye, did he appear?

As I don't see this footage featured on this site, as had thought. I have uploaded the 9 minutes of 8mm video featuring Eric Burdon, "Sunshine" [identity unknown, looks a lot like some photos of Bonnie Bramlett], and various acrobatics; Tracy Nelson; unknown drummer etc. that I have. The sound is pretty much rubbish and is not from the video, the quality of the originally silent film is not nearly as good as the 16mm but is of different parts of the jam.

hyper_hippie
01-16-09, 09:35 PM
Olvie,

stp said in post # 9 that Buddy got off the kit and stood out front to sing a duet with Tracy Nelson, and you can see that in the big color photo I posted, so we don't know what the tune was where the other drummer appeared. That's what we're trying to figure out, as well as who he was. I am just as interested in the vid that stp just posted because it contains the shenanigans with Burdon, Jimi and Mary Story.

I can't wait to see that! As I said, I am stunned by the fantastic photo taken from the side of the stage of Jimi playing on top of Mary and Burdon. I think it is a unique, unprecedented, and thrilling moment.

That's not one of the photos on Mark Whaley's website; the one I reposted in post# 3.

stplsd
01-17-09, 11:07 AM
The song that Buddy is photographed and filmed standing up singing with someone else playing the drums appears to me to be 'We Got To Live Together' as the instruments and vocals on the sound tape appear to match with those filmed on stage. I would have to listen again, closely, as it's been awhile. If it's not this song then I would venture it's one that wasn't captured on the tapes that have been found so far.

hyper_hippie
01-17-09, 11:52 PM
the son of Mary Story And Jimi Hendrix

What a twisted loser.

stplsd
01-18-09, 05:49 AM
Revolting. That must be the other article in Straight Ahead Burdon is referring to in the interview. Wonder who the unfortunate woman in the pathetic fake photo is?

hyper_hippie
01-18-09, 10:18 AM
Stp said:

Wonder who the unfortunate woman in the pathetic fake photo is?

I read that it was his sister. Her first name is Keri.

stplsd
01-18-09, 07:12 PM
Man, that 1st letter you wrote about the "groupie" sure opened up a tin of worms, good fun though, eh?

hyper_hippie
01-18-09, 09:30 PM
stp said:

good fun though, eh?Absolutely. For me, it's always been about this photo. Thank YOU for setting the record straight. Knowing that Jimi was involved with her, and she was not a groupie, makes the whole thing even more compelling.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc232/hyper_hippie_1950/1969-06-22Newport-USA.jpg

lostarchives
01-22-09, 05:36 PM
The blonde singer is not "Sunshine" or Mary Story. That was a load of crap made up by a guy who was trying to represent himself as Jimi's son in 1990s. I just asked the white sax player in the photo who she was, but he couldn't remember. Ahh, the sixties and lost brain cells.

lostarchives
01-22-09, 06:04 PM
What's not mentioned in Yeager's little scam doc is that he was selling an alleged video of Jimi playing on a street corner in New York in ad in Rolling Stone. A friend of mine purchased it from him (I believe for $50), and sent me a copy. I could tell the guy was pulling a number when I saw the intentionally poorly shot video -- there were no battery powered amps in 1970 and Jimi never played on a street corner. When I confronted him about it he mysteriously sold out of tapes.I wonder how much he made off this dupe? What a way to break into show biz.

johanincr
01-23-09, 01:22 AM
there's this other photo including the 'unknown' drummer. i seriously doubt this will set that record straight, but maybe someone has a 'proper' version of the picture - not from this ebay preview? or recognise the drummer from this pic regardless?

http://i14.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/f4/d9/0fe3_1.JPG
at least we can see 'a' drummer, and buddy and eric singing, and is that a whiskeybottle onstage?:)

Olvator
01-23-09, 05:43 AM
there's this other photo including the 'unknown' drummer. i seriously doubt this will set that record straight, but maybe someone has a 'proper' version of the picture - not from this ebay preview? or recognise the drummer from this pic regardless?

http://i14.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/f4/d9/0fe3_1.JPG
at least we can see 'a' drummer, and buddy and eric singing, and is that a whiskeybottle onstage?:)

maybe his name is "m"???no man, i wish i could....
oh johan....did i ever get back to you bout the WT versions? I don´t think they are any better than what is around....unfortunately.

stplsd
01-23-09, 08:13 AM
Thanks to robbiesradio for posting the link to the Bill Yeager "Jimi (tall) Story" confession.The name "Sunshine" didn't originate with the fraud, originally appearing in Rolling Stone on 26-7-69. Apart from that all that's left is the extremely unreliable Eric Burdon's info that she was singer. By the way, lostachives, who was "the white sax player?"

hyper_hippie
01-23-09, 09:22 AM
Photo of Tina Turner. Jimi wasn't in her band anymore.
http://www.westworld.com/%7Emerlin/images/Tina.jpg

Roland Stone
01-24-09, 01:57 AM
Apropos of nothing in particular: The flyer for Newport doesn't list Maynard Ferguson, but I recall him playing on Friday. In fact I'm pretty sure I remember him playing trumpet through a wah-wah pedal, which I thought was kind of ridiculous since the wah-wah pedal was designed to emulate a trumpet with hat mute!

Roland Stone
01-24-09, 02:09 AM
What a twisted loser.

Yeah, I just watched that video. That guy is pathetic. But the phony "Bolero" soundtrack almost sounded halfway believable until it got monotonous.

stplsd
01-24-09, 04:41 AM
Are you sure it was actually Maynard (a Canadian & one of the first musicians to take LSD). All I've seen is that he left the US with his family for India in 68 and lived and taught there, until he moved from there to Manchester England by 69, where he manufactured trumpets, and eventuallly formed a new band. He lived there until 1973, when he moved back to stay in New York. Only returning to play in the US in 1971. There's plenty of references to him playing the Newport Folk festivals in 58 & 59, bu I could't find any mention of him being in the US never mind playing there prior to 71

stplsd
01-24-09, 04:52 AM
Oh, and thanks johanincr & hyperhippie for the most interesting photos from this mysterious festival

hyper_hippie
01-24-09, 12:03 PM
this mysterious festivalYes, we now have a new mystery to add. Did Sunshine really exist? Or was she created in the hoax? Lostarchives says that the female person of interest is not Sunshine or Mary Story.

Eric Burdon says he kind of knew her, but his 1995 remarks probably referred to the rumors that were circulating. Those were confirmed to be a hoax a few years later so maybe he knew her, and maybe he didn't. How does the news of the Jimmy Story Hoax affect Mark Whaley's captions of the photo sequence. It may now be a case that they were not only inaccurate as described, or discredited by Burdon, but that there is some kind of 3rd explanation of who she was.

So I wonder what Steven Roby has concluded about Mary Story.

I cannot find anywhere that Yeager created Sunshine/Mary Story. I assumed that he pretended to be Jimmy Story because Mary existed as an obscure person who was actually involved with Jimi.

So the plot thickens.

BTW, I think the bottle onstage at Jimi's feet in one photo is too big to be whiskey? Maybe wine; just guessing.

I thought after I posted the pic of Tina Turner that someone would say that was Steve Cropper behind her, but no one has. Does anyone know who he is?

stplsd
01-24-09, 02:04 PM
as I said above Bill Yaeger admits these names are part of his creation listen to him on the link posted by robbiesradio here six days ago
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/140862...jimmy_sto ry/

It turns out that "Sunshine" was not an invention of Bill Yeager, as she was mentioned in the original 1969 Rolling Stone review by that name.

hyper_hippie
01-24-09, 03:24 PM
Yes, stp, thank you. Mary Sunshine Story was created in the Yaeger hoax and does not exist.

So who is the woman on stage at Newport 69 that Eric says was hanging around a lot?
A groupie? Wouldn't that be a riot! If she was, she would have been a singing groupie. Ha Ha.

MourningStar
01-24-09, 06:00 PM
The flyer for Newport doesn't list Maynard Ferguson, but I recall him playing on Friday.It was The Don Ellis Orchestra, not Maynard.

Roland Stone
01-24-09, 07:00 PM
It was The Don Ellis Orchestra, not Maynard.

Thank you! That clears that up! Funny how memories can get twisted like that. Don Ellis isn't listed on the flyer either.

And although I do remember the Edwin Hawkins Singers, Spirit, and Ike & Tina Turner's sets, I barely recall Taj, Southwind, Albert King or Joe Cocker. Either I got there late or I was just too inebriated to retain everything that was going on.

Olvator
01-24-09, 07:20 PM
I thought after I posted the pic of Tina Turner that someone would say that was Steve Cropper behind her, but no one has. Does anyone know who he is?

welll, whoever that is, he is playing a BASS guitar. Plus, i am not sure whether Steve had such long hair already in 1969....

stplsd
01-24-09, 07:44 PM
what's all this maynard, don ellis stuff about, eh???

MourningStar
01-25-09, 12:11 AM
Don Ellis isn't listed on the flyer either.There were a few un-announced 'Special Guest Appearance By ..." thru-out the three days that were not on the flyer, mostly unknowns to me. Heck, even some of the acts on the flyer I never heard of (Lauderdale anyone?) However, I do recall Don Ellis, I mean, like, how could anyone forget a big-band type orchestra firin' off some awesome jazz AT A ROCK FEST?!!. Also, those acts you don't recall were in the daytime. If you got there after dusk you missed them. If not, killin' off data-retention cells would be your excuse as you said. My friend and I didn't do alcohol and were just barely gettin' into weed. We took none with us (we'd been busted for weed earlier in the year), but we did take 'some' hits on what was being shared, so we were pretty much clear-headed thru-out.

hyper_hippie
01-26-09, 11:10 AM
Not a groupie, not Sunshine or Mary Story, it's ......... Bonnie Bramlett!

http://www.me.umn.edu/~kgeisler/1969.html (http://www.me.umn.edu/%7Ekgeisler/1969.html)

Jimi knew her because he had been on stage with her just 3 months earlier. Anyone have photos of the Hollywood Jam?

So much for Eric Burdon's memory, except that Bonnie really does pack a wallop. These photos are from Bonnie's website:

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc232/hyper_hippie_1950/bonnie_and_stills.jpg (http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc232/hyper_hippie_1950/?action=view&current=bonnie_and_stills.jpg) Sunshine Story, anyone? Last Call !

(Could someone tell Mark Whaley who she really was?)

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc232/hyper_hippie_1950/bb05b.jpg (http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc232/hyper_hippie_1950/?action=view&current=bb05b.jpg)

stplsd
01-26-09, 05:26 PM
Nice one! certainly is a dead ringer for her, I've just remembered seeing her credited as the singer on a collector's/boot Cd of this. Yeah Eric Burdon really does talk complete bull, but he did remember she was a singer

hyper_hippie
01-26-09, 05:48 PM
Boy, I am a Happy Hyper Hippie.

I have enjoyed the photos of this gig for so long. I contacted Bonnie and also Mark Whaley.

Incidentally, Bonnie's website has some loving memorials to her former husband Delaney who passed away just a few weeks ago.

Eric Burdon said,
kind of a Janis. Yep, that's Bonnie Bramlett, who can belt it like the best of them.

Funny how she co-wrote "SuperStar" with Leon Russell, about a GROUPIE. Many attribute the songwriting credit to Delaney, but I believe it's hers

Thank you The Earth Blues for the photo of the Hollywood Palladium jam. Jimi doesn't look particularly happy, but his smile makes up for it at the Newport '69 gig when he gets up off of her and Eric Burdon.

http://www.wtv-zone.com/ruexperienced/sigs/DelaneyBonnie3_03.jpg

stplsd
01-26-09, 06:30 PM
It was:
ATM 032-034 - Earth Vs. Space: The <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:p</st1:City> Legacy (22.06.1999 / 3CDR) where she is credited, but with a ?

lostarchives
09-19-09, 01:13 PM
I was told the blond in the photo is a So. Cal lady by the name of Valerie Vale. Her music career never went anywhere and later died of an OD. They guy I spoke to said he went to high school with her.

scoutship
09-19-09, 04:13 PM
fwiw here's Bonnie's website (http://www.bonniebramlett.com/photos.html), includes some photos, as mentioned by hyper hippie above.

stplsd
09-19-09, 04:49 PM
I was told the blond in the photo is a So. Cal lady by the name of Valerie Vale. Her music career never went anywhere and later died of an OD. They guy I spoke to said he went to high school with her.

Yeah, right "a guy told me" - that's the problem solved then;-)

Pali Gap
09-24-09, 01:41 PM
The posturing is interesting I wonder if thats where David Bowie got his ideas from. I I remember from some interview Hendrix didnt think much of Eric Clapton working with Bonnie and Delanney. I presume its the same ppl and I havent got mixed up.

stplsd
11-03-09, 10:22 PM
The singer in question was called "Sunshine" a long time before the Story hoax: Rolling Stone 26 July 69 'Crashers, Cops, Producers Spoil Newport '69' by Jerry Hopkins

It also says that Janis Joplin was "introduced" to loud applause on the first day. No mention of her playing though. Also that Don Ellis band played Friday and was stoned by youths before they got on stage causing injuries to several members. And claims that the bass player was from Joplin's band - doesn't look like him in the film, looks exactly like the bass player from Mother Earth in the film though. No mention of the brass section from Joplin's band so maybe conflated.

Article in same paper on next page about Hendrix bust also by Hopkins:

"After his preliminary hearing, he flew back west to appear the next night at the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Newport</st1:place></st1:City> ‘69 festival at Devonshire Downs. He was uptight, to say the least, but seemed a totally different man Sun­day, when he made a surprise appearance to conduct, direct, and play a two-hour jam with Buddy Miles, Mother Earth, Eric Burdon, and assorted sax and reed men." No mention of any Joplin connection.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

stplsd
11-04-09, 07:15 AM
OK Olve - confusion is one of my better character attributes. If the issue is in reference to Janis Joplin at Newport '69, then (1) yes, she came on stage breifly and (2) no - she did not sing. This much I did witness. And for some obscure reason (yeah right!), I do not believe the time of her stage appearance coincided with the legendary jam, but rather it was she that 'announced' the surprise appearance of Jimi . HOWEVER, if evidence surfaces that Janis did sing then I defer to 'artificial influences' totally within my control. - ;)

my apologies to all for the mix-up.

peace out,

Apologies to you mourningstar, it does look like Janis attended (but doesn't appear to have sung) on the Friday:

ROLLING STONE 26 July 1969 (Page 1) 'Crashers, Cops, Producers Spoil Newport '69' by Jerry Hopkins, Northridge, Calif. — Once again violence has severely mauled the face of rock, with several hundred persons injured in rioting outside Newport ‘69, what probably was, in attendance, the world's largest pop festival.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Because of this violence, and perhaps as much as $50,000 in damage done to neighborhood homes and businesses, the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Los Angeles</st1:place></st1:City> police commission has launched a full investigation. It could result in <st1:City><st1:place>new city</st1:place></st1:City> policies on the grant­ing of concert permits and certainly means there will never be another rock festival held here.<o:p></o:p>
Over 150,000 attended the three-day series of concerts — featuring Jimi Hendrix, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Johnny Winter and the Rascals among the 33 acts—and for most of those visit­ing this suburban <st1:City><st1:place>Los Angeles</st1:place></st1:City> commu­nity, the only bummer was the festival itself. They were not aware of the bloody violence erupting outside the gates. For them there was only the last logjam of humanity that made the festival like attending a high school reunion in a closet.<o:p></o:p>
The producers of Newport '69—no re­lation to the folk or jazz festivals in Rhode Island—spent $11,000 on hurri­cane fencing and it was this fence that hundreds of youngsters stormed, rather than pay the $7 admission cost. Gate­crashers the first two days caused only minor incidents, but early Sunday after­noon all hell broke loose.<o:p></o:p>
As was true in another southern <st1:State><st1:place>Cali­fornia</st1:place></st1:State> festival, in Palm Springs Easter week, a small minority of youngsters can be blamed for initiating the trouble, and police can be faulted for reacting too brutally.<o:p></o:p>
The kids threw bottles and rocks and the police randomly slashed out with ba­tons, causing blood to stream freely. (Those injured were as young as 14.) Teenagers swarmed across a nearby shopping center, causing nearly $10,000 in damage to two gas stations, an equal amount of damage to apartment houses, another $1,500 worth of vandalism at a grocery store. While police demonstrated a sure-fire way of halting a kid — ap­proach him at a dead run, grabbing him by the back of the neck, slamming him head first into a parked car; then club him when he's down.<o:p></o:p>
(This technique was shown in terrifying clarity in newsfilm on two networks that night.)<o:p></o:p>
As all this was happening, thousands of youngsters continued approaching the festival fairgrounds and this, coupled with a roving band of several hundred members of the Street Racers — a bike club hired by the festival as an intern security force—only complicated matters even farther.<o:p></o:p>
By mid-evening, about <st1:time Minute="0" Hour="21">9 PM</st1:time> Sunday the gates were opened and those remaining in the area were admitted free.<o:p></o:p>
By then, however, an estimated 300 had been injured—15 cops among the —and another 75 had been placed under arrest, about half of them on charges of assault with a deadly weapon against a police officer. Other charges ranged from drinking in public to possession of drugs.<o:p></o:p>
Next day, the city began to bellow and grunt.<o:p></o:p>
Michael Kohn, police commission pres­ident, said this group undoubtedly would present the city council with recommen­dations for a new ordinance to enforce more rigid controls over concerts and similar events. City Councilman Robert Wilkinson said extra police and overtime cost to the city was $35,000 "and we haven't even begun to figure the damage to city prop­erty." Wilkinson represents the Devon­shire Downs area, where the festival was held. <o:p></o:p>
And local residents were shouting about the number of young people using their pools and camping overnight in their flower beds.<o:p></o:p>
While the entire area—several blocks in all directions—looked as if ten garbage and trash trucks had collided in the middle of a windstorm.<o:p></o:p>
Even disregarding the violence and vandalism (as impossible as that is), the festival was anything but festive. The producers, Mark Robinson and Paul Schibe of Mark Productions, tried hard, spending thousands of dollars on ground cover and other facilities, but it just wasn't enough. For a few thousand who were positioned close to the huge stage it might have been the musical trip of the decade, but for the vast majority it was a nightmare.<o:p></o:p>
Traffic to and from the fairgrounds was nearly impenetrable and parking severely limited, forcing thousands to park on distant residential streets.<o:p></o:p>
Hundred-foot lines formed outside an insufficient number of stinking, overfiowing portable toilets. <o:p></o:p>
The sound system was totally inade­quate, however good it might have been, with nearly all the 50,000 or so present each day beyond the reach of the speak­ers- There was also a droning public ad­dress system echoing through a nearby strip of temporary psychedelic shops ... while overhead there was a constantly circling police helicopter (dubbed "the Blue Fist" from Yellow Submarine by master of ceremonies John Carpenter). Sometimes there were two helicopters, drowning out the likes of Buffy Sainte-Marie.<o:p></o:p>
Visibility was similarly limited. Even those near the 10-foot high stage couldn't see well because of crowding and the height of the stage itself. For most of those present, the stage was so far away you knew where the acts were only because that's where most people were facing. Lighting and camera towers obstructed vision more.<o:p></o:p>
Even for those who were close enough to hear and see, some of the acts were bad—including Jimi Hendrix, who pro­vided a listless set, told the audience it was a "teenybopper crowd," and left to a smattering of applause. (It might be add­ed that Hendrix was paid $100,000 for the gig—a sum he did not ask but was offered by the promoters, and which put some other performers uptight.)<o:p></o:p>
The biggest bummer of all was the enormity of the thing. Even though the fairgrounds was the size of a small air­field, the mammoth number of bodies jammed together over much of it and scattered along the perimeter made it look look (and feel) like the railroad sta­tion scene during the burning of Atlanta in Gone With the Wind.<o:p></o:p>
Local high schools and colleges had just closed for the summer and as one observer put it. "Have you noticed the number of babies and small children here? You know why? Because every babysitter in <st1:place><st1:PlaceName>Los Angeles</st1:PlaceName><st1:PlaceType>County</st1:PlaceType></st1:place> is here.<o:p></o:p>
All there was lo do, unless you were immobilized in the center of the crush of humanity, was to mill around—which is what tens of thousands did, looking for amusement and booze and drugs. “Got any dope?” was a frequently heard plaint. So was, "How about sharing your wine?"<o:p></o:p>
And when it was all over, those on the inside merely added to the destruction accomplished outside.<o:p></o:p>
Giant bonfires were built on the astro-turf and burlap ground covering, virtu­ally destroying it. The tassled canopies scattered across the fairgrounds were torn down and set aflame. The grand­stand at one side of the field was par­tially dismantled, along with the slatted wood walls of a nearby exhibition build­ing. And everywhere there was a sea of broken Ripple and Gallo bottles. (The first aid tent, manned by the Free Clinic, treated hundreds for cut feet.)<o:p></o:p>
Of course there were good moments— as when Janis Joplin was introduced to thunderous applause the first night and when, on Sunday, Hendrix redeemed himself and returned to jam with Tracy Nelson of Mother Earth, Buddy Miles and the bassist from Janis's band. Also as when two bands not scheduled to ap­pear (Smoke and Navaho Honey) set up and began to play in an open building adjacent to the psychedelic runway, giv­ing several hundred a place to get it on. The light show, by Glenn McKay's Head Lights, was dwarfed by the size of things but excellent. The standard hot dog and Pepsi fare offered at such gatherings was happily augmented by Hansen jukes and health cookies. And the Ike and Tina Turner Revue knocked 'em dead, as did Joe Cocker, Three Dog Night, and a number of others.<o:p></o:p>
Before the festival was held, Mark Robinson (who had been involved in two other bummers in the summers in 1967 and 1968 in <st1:City><st1:place>Los Angeles</st1:place></st1:City>) distributed to the press a "final pre budget" breakdown, showing he had committed himself to spending $282,000 for the acts.<o:p></o:p>
In name value, it was a quarter-mil­lion seemingly well-spent (however exorbitant) Besides those already men­tioned, the festival presented Spirit, Steppenwolf, the Chambers Brothers, the Don Ellis Orchestra, the Edwin Hawkins Singers, Southwind, Taj Mahal, Albert Collins, Brenton Wood, Cat Mother, Charity, Eric Burdon, Friends of Distinc­tion, Jethro Tull, Love, Sweetwater, Jerry Lauderdale, the Womb, Booker T and the MGs, Flock, the Grassroots, Marvin Gaye (who missed his plane—and his gig), the Byrds, and Poco. It was, like the attendance, one of the biggest turn outs yet.<o:p></o:p>
Unfortunately, it probably was this high cost of talent that drove the ticket cost up (to $6 a day in advance, $7 at the gate, $15 in advance for the three days) and beyond the reach of hundreds. Others came to the festival specifically to crash the gates.<o:p></o:p>
I interviewed one of the gate-crashers once he was inside. In fact, he claimed in a peculiarly proud way to be one of the "ring leaders."<o:p></o:p>
"I never pay to go to these things, man," he said. "Why should I? I don't support these guys. I only support the people who need the money. I've been to every festival there is and I've never paid to get into one of them."<o:p></o:p>
He did not seem willing to accept— or even consider—the possibility that his actions might cause the festival to be can­celled or make it impossible ever to hold another in this area, he told me to go fuck myself and walked off.<o:p></o:p>
The violence started on another front the same day (Friday), when teenagers outside the fence surrounding the back-stage area threw rocks at the Don Ellis Orchestra as it was preparing to go on. Ellis began his set saying three of the guys in the band had been injured, one of them hospitalized (Sam Falzone, lead sax), another suffering a broken foot, the third bruises and cuts on his face.<o:p></o:p>
From that point it was downhill, with occasional high points which may have seemed high because the rest was so mis­erable.<o:p></o:p>
Mark Robinson claimed his costs amounted to more than half a million dollars, closer, in fact to $600,000. He could not be reached for a final gate count, but the festival's publicist quoted him as saying the gross had passed $750,000 by <st1:time Minute="0" Hour="2">two o'clock</st1:time> Sunday—seven hours before the gates were opened to everyone. Because of the violence, how­ever, he claims to have lost, not made, $130,000.<o:p></o:p>
A few days before <st1:City><st1:place>Newport</st1:place></st1:City> ‘69 began, George Wein of the <st1:place><st1:City>Newport</st1:City><st1:State>R.I.</st1:State></st1:place>, jazz and folk festival got a court injunction against the producers of the <st1:State><st1:place>California</st1:place></st1:State> fete while co-producers of the esthetically disastrous but financially rewarding <st1:City><st1:place>Newport</st1:place></st1:City> '68 festival also laid claim to the name.<o:p></o:p>
Today the producers of <st1:City><st1:place>Newport</st1:place></st1:City> '69 probably would sell the name for a buck. A buck-fifty tops.<o:p></o:p>
Even then they might be getting too much.<o:p></o:p>
(Page 8) ‘Hendrix Charged: Smack, Hash’ by Jerry Hopkins:<o:p></o:p>
<st1:City><st1:place>TORONTO</st1:place></st1:City>—Jimi Hendrix will have to stand jury trial on charges of pos­session of heroin and hashish. Judge Robert Taylor ruled at a preliminary hearing June 19th.<o:p></o:p>
Hendrix was released on 410,000 cash bail, and no definite date was set for the trial.<o:p></o:p>
Hendrix was arrested May 3rd at <st1:place><st1:PlaceName>To­ronto</st1:PlaceName><st1:PlaceName>International</st1:PlaceName><st1:PlaceType>Airport</st1:PlaceType></st1:place> when a cus­toms official found three packages of while powder in a glass jar in a flight bag Hendrix had offered for inspection. Also found was a metal tube.<o:p></o:p>
At the hearing, the state prosecutor said that chemical analysis showed the powder to be heroin, while the sub­stance in the tube was hash.<o:p></o:p>
Hendrix was not expected to enter a plea at the hearing — a normal, pro­cedural event— and remained silent while the prosecutor read a list of other con­tents of the flight bag—shampoo, hair spray, a large comb, vitamin pills, and a pocket book<o:p></o:p>
There were no other charges leveled at Hendrix, thus dispelling reports of trafficking, transporting, and cannabis charges spread around the time of the airport arrest.<o:p></o:p>
Hendrix was busted near the tail end of a long concert tour; he had just flown into <st1:City><st1:place>Toronto</st1:place></st1:City> from <st1:City><st1:place>Detroit</st1:place></st1:City> when his eight-man troupe was stopped at Cus­toms.<o:p></o:p>
After his preliminary hearing, he flew back west to appear the next night at the <st1:City><st1:place>Newport</st1:place></st1:City> ‘69 festival at Devonshire Downs. He was uptight, to say the least, but seemed a totally different man Sun­day, when he made a surprise appearance to conduct, direct, and play a two-hour jam with Buddy Miles, Mother Earth, Eric Burdon, and assorted sax and reed men.

From Hopkins choice of words it doesn't appear that Janis actually sang, though, but was merely in attendance?

27 June - 10 July? 1969<o:p></o:p>
<st1:country-region><st1:place>USA</st1:place></st1:country-region><o:p></o:p>
THE LOS ANGELES IMAGE (page?) ‘Hendrix Rules The Universe’ - [20-22 June, <st1:City><st1:place>Newport</st1:place></st1:City> ‘69 review] by Gene Rogalski and R.E. Maxson: “Hendrix concluded Friday’s concerts with a very unenthusiastic performance. Right from the start he seemed to be on a bummer (the audience wasn’t; they stood up and cheered when he came on stage) and digressed from there. He cursed the audience, calling them animals and teeny boppers (woe!) and got super uptight when people requested songs. He lost his cool…but was, in a sense, justified. When somebody pays to see a performance. they should be courteous enough to at least listen to it.<o:p></o:p>
On the other hand, no performer should ever let his shorts down. He’s there to ‘spread joy.’ so to speak. and he should do it - even if he is bummed out. People started leaving during Hendrix’s put-down, but those who think of him as some sort of godhead stayed to witness their savior crucify the audience. It’s a good thing he came back Sunday to shine.”<o:p></o:p>
(Page?) [title?] Maxson: “If last week’s festival proved anything, it proved one thing for sure: Hendrix is the unexcelled master of the electric guitar. Sunday’s program, when Hendrix was at his zenith, was the best of the three days’ shows and got the best audience response.<o:p></o:p>
Included was an unprecedented two-hour jam session which may have artistically been the greatest achievement in live rock history. <o:p></o:p>
Among the participants were Eric Burdon and his review, the Janis Joplin Review (without Janis), Tracy Nelson and some members of Mother Earth, and Hendrix. Janis couldn’t be missed less. Hendrix more than made up for his weak performance of Friday night. In fact, he got carried away. About twenty-five minutes before the jam ended, Buddy Miles announced, ‘We don’t want to overdo it.’ But Jimi apparently wasn’t listening - he played and played and played until (at least it’s rumoured) his plug was pulled,<o:p></o:p>
This is the kind of thing you always hear about but never get to see. The participants obviously hadn’t practiced, but that can be overlooked when you’re watching some of the greatest jam together. What adjective can be applied to such a performance?<o:p></o:p>
Hendrix came across with perhaps the greatest playing in all of rock’s existence, and maybe even the greatest accomplishment ever achieved with the electric guitar. He seems to know the instrument and its nearly limitless possibilities better than any electric guitarist who has ever lived.<o:p></o:p>
He played for nearly the whole two hours, stopping only now and then to let other performers lay down some business - and he never repeated a riff. His creativity was aweing as he switched styles from blues to jazz to rock to rhythm to whatever, all with ridiculous ease.<o:p></o:p>
Hendrix was Wes Montgomery and B.B. King and Eric Clapton and you name it all wrapped up in one package of artistic fury as he demonstrated his ability to play anyone’s genre and do it better than the best practitioner of each style he attempted. His use of the wah-wah pedal, tape loops [sic, no tape loops actually] and other relatively new features of electric guitar playing - in a way which was creative beyond belief demonstrates his thorough wisdom of the instrument and all its present-day possibilities.<o:p></o:p>
There has probably never been electric guitar talent as promising as Hendrix, and if he never does anything right again his Sunday performance will stand as a great fulfilment of that talent - the man is nothing less than a genius. <o:p></o:p>
The performance Hendrix wrought from his instrument dwarfed just about everything else that has gone clown, and he easily blew the considerable talent which was on the stage with him right off whenever he wanted to. The performance inspired in this writer the most compelling experience of total euphoric ecstasy ever derived from music.<o:p></o:p>
Hendrix’ eye-challenging finger speed and formidable technical dexterity, his continual flow of out-of-time ideas, his peerless phrasing, his flawless sense of taste and timing, and the famous aura he communicates all molded in perhaps a once-in-a-lifetime fusion with the ultimate inspiration all musicians dream of receiving during a jam session.<o:p></o:p>
It was as if Hendrix had broken through to the most profound musical dimension available to mortals and was being guided by the perfect, instantaneous teachings of improvisational composing’s most exalted spirit. Man, Hendrix was playing out of his mind.” <o:p></o:p>

stplsd
11-16-09, 07:33 AM
The posturing is interesting I wonder if thats where David Bowie got his ideas from.

Jim Morrison was noted for this posture in his 1969 obscenity bust, possibly he was overdoing it a bit;-) But it is fairly standard with many rock singers.

purple jim
11-16-09, 08:19 AM
http://www.noob.fr/upload/9902f_bowie.jpg (http://www.noob.fr)

Bowie and Ronson in action.

stplsd
11-16-09, 09:55 PM
^
Ha-ha-ha, makes "Sunshine" look like a staid old music professor studying Hendrix' guitar technique, I can't imagine Morrison quite getting down to this level of blow-job guitar antics either;-). Interesting how the fans in pic 1. appear to be laughing and the one in the middle is more "toned down" than the Newport shot. Looks like Bowie & co. may have been studying the Newport 8mm as Pali Gap pointed out.

voodoo
11-16-09, 11:10 PM
David bowie playing Mick Ronson's guitar with his teeth! I bet the fans went nuts when they saw that. Bowie and Ronson must've gone crazy. Looks like bowie decided to do some good ol' guitar gnawing!
Go Bowie Go!

purple jim
11-17-09, 03:51 PM
http://www.noob.fr/upload/ecb11_doom9.jpg (http://www.noob.fr)
I doubt very much that Bowie and Rono had seen any shots of the Newport incident back in 1972. I think it was just a clever theatrical and erotic idea. It also took the Hendrix guitar eating thing to another visual level.

Another little nod to Jimi "…he played it left hand, but he made it too far…" (Ziggy Stardust).

stplsd
06-20-10, 12:06 AM
Sunshine ID From Rolling Stone's feb Groupies article [groupies appear to be anyone who likes to hang out with rock musicians by their definition], 4 months before Newport '69, also by Jerry Hopkins:
"Similarly, Chris (Sunshine) Brooks knows dozens of musicians from her work, operating the San Francisco office of a rock publicity agency (and from earlier, when she used to sing with jazz bands as Sunshine). At 29, with her sweet face and full-to-matronly fig­ure, many English musicians affectionately call her "Mum." "I am a mother-confessor to some of the guys," she admits. Indeed, Sunshine is a mother, with twin five-year-olds from one marriage (she's been married twice) that didn't work out. Few groupies have been as active as long as Sunshine, who original­ly started with jazz players. Now she is the senior partner in a group of five girls—herself, Karen, Judy Wong* and The Twins (not her children, but a pair of 21-year-old sisters)—who travel as a pack in quest of rock bands. Says Sunshine: "I know I'm not beau­tiful, but I'm not self-conscious, either, and often I can get something going where the other girls would sort of hang back and wait for it to happen. I'm the front-runner."<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Sunshine is both a groupie and more than a groupie. Some of the girls of rock—girls who are very mucfi part of the scene—everybody knows them—never were groupies in the strict sense, but are, somehow, cut of the same fabric. Like Trixie the girl bass player, and Dusty the girl recording engineer."

*Jimi's last party

kees1954
06-20-10, 06:21 PM
Sunshine ID From Rolling Stone's feb Groupies article [groupies appear to be anyone who likes to hang out with rock musicians by their definition], 4 months before Newport '69, also by Jerry Hopkins:
"Similarly, Chris (Sunshine) Brooks knows dozens of musicians from her work, operating the San Francisco office of a rock publicity agency (and from earlier, when she used to sing with jazz bands as Sunshine). At 29, with her sweet face and full-to-matronly fig*ure, many English musicians affectionately call her "Mum." "I am a mother-confessor to some of the guys," she admits. Indeed, Sunshine is a mother, with twin five-year-olds from one marriage (she's been married twice) that didn't work out. Few groupies have been as active as long as Sunshine, who original*ly started with jazz players. Now she is the senior partner in a group of five girls—herself, Karen, Judy Wong* and The Twins (not her children, but a pair of 21-year-old sisters)—who travel as a pack in quest of rock bands. Says Sunshine: "I know I'm not beau*tiful, but I'm not self-conscious, either, and often I can get something going where the other girls would sort of hang back and wait for it to happen. I'm the front-runner."ffice:office" /><o>:p></o>:p>
Sunshine is both a groupie and more than a groupie. Some of the girls of rock—girls who are very mucfi part of the scene—everybody knows them—never were groupies in the strict sense, but are, somehow, cut of the same fabric. Like Trixie the girl bass player, and Dusty the girl recording engineer."

*Jimi's last party
<o>:p></o>:p>
<o>:p></o>:p>

I have a photo of the alleged Sunshine in this Rolling Stone issue. It certainly isn't the girl at Newport. Their posture is totally different.

MourningStar
06-20-10, 07:18 PM
Ok - here's a third(?) 'Sunshine' to throw in the mix, Pat Nichols (deceased ~2005). This one lived with Janis Joplin up in Marin County just north of 'Frisco. I don't know if she is anyway associated with Newport 69, but is definitely associated with Janis.

ilovejimi
06-20-10, 08:30 PM
^ cool-- man seems like everybody from that sceen is dropping like flies

scoutship
06-20-10, 11:53 PM
Some Newport Pop '69 trivia--

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/2418/jhjuly41969valleynews.jpg

(end of a much longer front-page piece)

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/434/jhjune241969vannuysnews.jpg

A longer post-festival take (http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthread.php?p=31911#post31911) over in the article scans thread.

stplsd
06-21-10, 01:02 PM
I have a photo of the alleged Sunshine in this Rolling Stone issue. It certainly isn't the girl at Newport. Their posture is totally different.

Thanks, very interesting. We of course would need to see the photo and some form of verification it is supposed to be of said "Sunshine" before we can have an opinion on your assertion. I'm not sure what 'posture' has to do with identification in a photo (maybe not the best choice of word?)

Odd that Hopkins would use the same name for two women in two big features in RS so close together without comment?

kees1954
06-21-10, 03:08 PM
Thanks, very interesting. We of course would need to see the photo and some form of verification it is supposed to be of said "Sunshine" before we can have an opinion on your assertion. I'm not sure what 'posture' has to do with identification in a photo (maybe not the best choice of word?)

Odd that Hopkins would use the same name for two women in two big features in RS so close together without comment?

Here she is. The scan is from a Dutch translation of the Burks/Hopkins Groupies book.

stplsd
06-21-10, 04:15 PM
Some Newport Pop '69 trivia--

(end of a much longer front-page piece)

A longer post-festival take (http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthread.php?p=31911#post31911) over in the article scans thread.

Thanks, great stuff, any chance of the front page?

stplsd
06-21-10, 04:19 PM
Here she is. The scan is from a Dutch translation of the Burks/Hopkins Groupies book.

Many thanks. So, we're still none the wiser?;-) I can see where his worrying description of her as being "full, to matronly" comes in, now.
Maybe this is the Sunshine who Burdon had in mind when he said she was not Jimi's type in the Roby interview?
Any interesting Jimi related in the book?

stplsd
06-21-10, 04:20 PM
Ok - here's a third(?) 'Sunshine' to throw in the mix, Pat Nichols (deceased ~2005). This one lived with Janis Joplin up in Marin County just north of 'Frisco. I don't know if she is anyway associated with Newport 69, but is definitely associated with Janis.

Thanks, very interesting, but hardly a contender;-)

Here's a fourth(?) 'Sunshine' this one from a "Woodstock" article in Rolling Stone (sorry no photo): "A tall man with red-brown hair and shining eyes, barefoot and naked under his robes, he had traveled to the festival with his lover, a sheep ("call her ‘Sunshine' if you're a vegetarian, 'Chops’ if you're not," he said.)"

Oh and then there's Sgt "sunshine" the dope smoking cop - lot of Sunshine's around in 69 - aw-roit sunshoine (as they might say in London;-)

scoutship
06-21-10, 04:35 PM
Thanks, great stuff, any chance of the front page?

I would've posted it if it weren't so sprawling, will have to resort to a clickable thumbnail etc so must wait til end of summer/early fall.

Presuming I'm able to elude any Jeffery/Cointel/CIA operatives still bent on keeping anything we dig up under the rug. After all, Uli Jon has said Monika's wasn't likely a suicide, either.

stplsd
06-21-10, 04:37 PM
I would've posted it if it weren't so sprawling, will have to resort to a clickable thumbnail etc so must wait til end of summer/early fall.

Presuming I'm able to elude any Jeffery/Cointel/CIA operatives still bent on keeping anything we dig up under the rug. After all, Uli Jon has said Monika's wasn't likely a suicide, either.

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me;-)

scoutship
06-21-10, 04:39 PM
"Hey, I'm not paranoid, you're the one who's paranoid!"

---classic old Saturday Night Live skit

zombywoof57
05-25-12, 10:13 PM
Just a few photos to add

GourmetAudio
05-26-12, 12:13 AM
post#20

good call serenity, it's still hard to believe that official artists' sites are wrong, but it makes sense. If I've never heard anything about it, it's not, like, real, man?

hyper_hippie
07-07-14, 10:36 PM
Just following up on the thread from long ago - but note my avatar, ha ha - about Bonnie Bramlett - not "a groupie" - being on stage with Jimi at Newport.

Here is an entry on BonnieBramlett.com from 4 years ago... it reads:

"Newport 69
John Svelan ( jsvelan@san.rr.com )
09 December 2009
I saw you in June of 69 at Devonshire Downs Newport '69 Pop festival. You were on stage with Jimi Hendrix on Sunday. It was a three day event and I had a blast... I think I was 16. Do you remember?? Anyway... I just wanted to drop by and say 'hello' You're awesome and so sorry to hear Delaney has passed.
Lots of love, John"

This is the link. I had searched on BonnieBramlett.com but the link is .co/uk:
http://www.bonniebramlett.co.uk/guestbook/guestbook.php?from=321&to=50&view=50

Then there is this personal account: https://00individual.wordpress.com/tag/hendrix-newport-pop-festival-1969/

"He had a few guests onstage like Bonnie Bramlett (from Delaney, Bonnie and Friends – opening act for Blind Faith’s only tour) and Eric Burdon (a personal friend of Jimi’s from his early days in London).

This was another festival seating concert but mostly everyone was standing – at least for Jimi. We stayed for his set and then hitch-hiked home.
Regardless of a less than perfect view, I was stoked to have made it there and to have been in the presence of Hendrix and him playing anything at all under any conditions was out of sight!
Another historic concert!

Lineup: Jimi Hendrix (guitar, vocal) Eric Burdon (vocal), Bonnie Bramlett (vocal), Buddy Miles (drums, vocals), Cornelius Flowers & Terry Clements (saxophones), Brad Campbell (bass), Lee Oskar (harmonica)."

Finally, Eric Burdon confirms it on his webpage http://www.ericburdonalbums.com/00.01.3.343 Bandology - 60.htm

It has this entry for gigs:

June 1969 - No Band Name
Eric Burdon (vocals), Jimi Hendrix (guitar, vocals), Bonnie Bramlett (vocals), Buddy Miles (drums), Cornelius Flowers (saxophones), Terry Clements (saxophones), Brad Campell (bass) and Lee Oskar (harmonica).
Performance at Newport 1969 Pop Festival, Devonshire Downs, CA on 22-Jun-69."

It's a shame that Whalen didn't know who Bonnie was, and spread the false story of a groupie. They would let a groupie on stage at a festival, and security wouldn't remove her? Hardly. Then they would give her a microphone and let her sing? No way. As is pointed out (here) Jimi had some friends on stage with him, Burdon and Bramlett.... Jimi had jammed with Delaney and Bonnie just 3 months earlier at the Hollywood Palladium in LA...

Hope this nails it down for those people misled by Whalen... Bonnie did not receive superstar media attention in those days, but I don't think there are a whole lot of people that can say that they had Eric Clapton and George Harrison in their band.

RobbieRadio
07-08-14, 12:16 AM
A quote from the Newport festival on wikipedia:

"There were two separate events staged in the late 1960s that are commonly referred to as the "Newport Pop Festival." The first was called the Newport Pop Festival, held at the Orange County Fairgrounds in Costa Mesa, California, the weekend of August 3-4, 1968. The second event was originally billed as "Newport 69," and was held over the three-day weekend of June 20-22, 1969 in Northridge, California at Devonshire Downs. In published writings over the last 40 years, this latter event has been referred to as the "Newport 69 Pop Festival," the "Newport Pop Festival 1969" and simply the "Newport Pop Festival." Subsequently, much confusion has been created over the years between the 1968 and 1969 events. Some of this confusion was generated by the participating musicians themselves who, later, in their interviews, kept getting the two events mixed up."

Big Brother (feat.JJ) weren't billed for either festival mentioned above and the only evidence they did appear at the earlier 68 one is word of mouth.

I can add a third - Big Brother (feat. JJ) played the Newport Folk festival at Rhode Island in 1968, there are also photos and advertising to prove it.

The Kozmic Blues Band only became known by this name posthumously, titled after the LP, at the time they were known as Janis Joplin and her revue or Janis Joplin and band or some such
I've written to the JJ web site to see if I can get more info

On the official website of the Janis Joplin estate the only entry between the dates June 16- 26 is
recording Kozmic blues in LA

Janis Joplin At Newport Pop Festival 1969

Pali Gap
07-09-14, 10:16 AM
I wonder if it's Leslie Aday - ( who went on to marry Meatloaf 1978-2001?) Their daughter Pearl's natural father was a member of Janis Joplin's Full Tilt Boogie Band. I think they said in the 60's she was possibly a groupie calling herself "Sunshine"...perhaps? I remember something being mentioned in Classic Rock or one of those magazines. or some programme on rock wags..She knew Hendrix quite well. If Janis was playing Newport maybe she was hanging out? I can't find anything - but maybe one of you could look into this?

hyper_hippie
07-09-14, 07:05 PM
Eric Burdon said that it was Bonnie Bramlett (2 posts ago). He was there, lying down on the stage underneath Jimi, laughing hysterically with Bonnie lying there next to him... after he spun her around over his head... definitively confirming what lots of other people said.

Eric Burdon says that she was Bonnie Bramlett.

purple jim
07-10-14, 06:58 AM
I wonder if it's Leslie Aday - ( who went on to marry Meatloaf 1978-2001?) Their daughter Pearl's natural father was a member of Janis Joplin's Full Tilt Boogie Band. I think they said in the 60's she was possibly a groupie calling herself "Sunshine"...perhaps? I remember something being mentioned in Classic Rock or one of those magazines. or some programme on rock wags..She knew Hendrix quite well. If Janis was playing Newport maybe she was hanging out? I can't find anything - but maybe one of you could look into this?

"Sunshine" is mentioned on page 1 of this thread.

Ezy Rider
07-10-14, 10:35 AM
but I don't think there are a whole lot of people that can say that they had Eric Clapton and George Harrison in their band.

just for fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Aozrd7748o (Hendrix Pop Expo 1969)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir2eAEhtXvE (D&B and EC 1969)

Pali Gap
07-10-14, 10:59 AM
Eric Burdon said that it was Bonnie Bramlett (2 posts ago). He was there, lying down on the stage underneath Jimi, laughing hysterically with Bonnie lying there next to him... after he spun her around over his head... definitively confirming what lots of other people said.

Eric Burdon says that she was Bonnie Bramlett.

OK - but it won't let me go to the link, and E.B in from earlier post seemed to think it was just some girl who sang "kind of like Janis". Bonnie Bramlett is quite famous - the memory lapse and vagueness seems strange.

Pali Gap
07-10-14, 11:00 AM
"Sunshine" is mentioned on page 1 of this thread.

But there a quite a few contenders for the said "sunshine" - just throwing another possibility into the mix..

hyper_hippie
07-10-14, 05:22 PM
Eric Burdon said that it was Bonnie Bramlett... He was on the stage floor lying down next to her, and listed her on his website as being a singer at this gig. Since Bonnie does not appear anywhere else in the video, that was her lying next to him underneath Jimi's legs.

MourningStar
07-10-14, 06:54 PM
I don't think it's Bramlett. In 1969 Bonnie had short hair.

hyper_hippie
07-10-14, 08:11 PM
Bonnie's hair was long, short, and permed in 1969... here she is with long hair alongside Bobby Whitlock and Delaney at Madison Square Garden, July 1969, opening for Blind Faith. Do you think that Burdon and the other 2 people in attendance all got it wrong when they named her at Newport?

Ron The Bear
07-11-14, 10:38 AM
http://i27.fastpic.ru/big/2012/0130/4c/d451fedfc4a93303cf4a5b8216ab6a4c.jpg

http://i58.fastpic.ru/big/2013/1216/5b/81132e277467820d471395e3e892785b.jpg

http://jimihendrix.forumactif.org/t592p40-devonshire-downs-newport-69-22-juin-1969

hyper_hippie
07-11-14, 12:36 PM
Check out this record jacket from Newport. Bonnie is listed as a vocalist right after Eric Burdon...23371

MourningStar
07-11-14, 03:10 PM
Do you think that Burdon and the other 2 people in attendance all got it wrong when they named her at Newport?It's possible. However, Bonnie is still around. If she says so, I'll go for it.

souldoggie
07-11-14, 03:47 PM
Ron the bear, thanks for posting that full stage shot.
Any chance that's Carmen in the pink top above the amps, far right?
If it's not her, it seems I've seen that gal pictured with Jimi somewhere before.

jhendrixfanatic
07-11-14, 03:52 PM
23378 23379

23380 23381

Rupe
07-11-14, 03:55 PM
Ron the bear, thanks for posting that full stage shot.
Any chance that's Carmen in the pink top above the amps, far right?
If it's not her, it seems I've seen that gal pictured with Jimi somewhere before.

Isn't that somebody called Cathy? I've seen her picture with Jimi somewhere recently, but cant recall where

MourningStar
07-11-14, 05:02 PM
it's her nosethis is fun.

fwiw - I was there, trust me, all eyes & ears were on Hendrix. Burdon, Miles and whoever else were simply myopic peripherals.

kees1954
07-11-14, 05:23 PM
The looks in jhendrifanatics' pictures above are strikingly similar indeed, but to my ears Sunshine doesn't sound like Bonnie at all

MourningStar
07-11-14, 05:31 PM
The looks in jhendrifanatics' pictures above are strikingly similar indeed, but to my ears Sunshine doesn't sound like Bonnie at alland we are positive it cannot be Tracy?

kees1954
07-11-14, 05:34 PM
Isn't that somebody called Cathy? I've seen her picture with Jimi somewhere recently, but cant recall where

Cathy was described in Univibes (can't remember which issue unfortunately). She was with Jimi in Hawaii in October 1968. She is the inspiration for "Once I Had A Woman" (a very touching song IMHO).

hyper_hippie
07-11-14, 05:54 PM
MS, in response to your wondering if it was Tracy, she appears along with Bonnie in the same shot (at far left) in post 104

kees1954
07-11-14, 06:13 PM
Well just watch the 8mm footage and listen to the soundtrack, synced together so beautifully by Ronald (JamminJimi) ...

RobbieRadio
07-13-14, 08:21 AM
Bonnie Bramlett guestbook query

Dear Robbie,

Thanks you for your question in Bonnie's guestbook. I've seen this one popping up elsewhere over the years and have also read Bonnie's confirmation that it wasn't her on stage with Jimi that day. Hope this may help a bit.

With best wishes,

Peter

Peter Cross,
Webmaster for:
www.bonniebramlett.com (http://www.bonniebramlett.com) (Bonnie Bramlett - official site)
www.bonniebramlett.co.uk (http://www.bonniebramlett.co.uk) (Bonnie Bramlett - official recordings)

Coventry
England

MourningStar
07-13-14, 10:04 AM
It's possible. However, Bonnie is still around. If she says so, I'll go for it."... and have also read Bonnie's confirmation that it wasn't her on stage with Jimi that day." ... "confirmation"?