PDA

View Full Version : Hendrix on Blu Ray

bolexje
02-01-09, 08:01 AM
Since I saw a request to give a rating for the Blu Ray Hendrix discs of Monterey and Woodstock, I thought I would share my experience:
I just set up a new 42 inch Ful HD flatscreen and connected a Blu Ray player. The first disc I bought was the Hendrix at Monterey one.
The sharpnes is really good, and the colors very bright and vivid. You can count the feathers in Jimi's boa ! However this disc has some sync problems and some strange blue digital artifacts in the dark area's. Unfortunately the rough 16 mm. material for Monterey is already quite grainy , so the 'normal ' DVD does not compare that bad to the Blu Ray.
But then yesterday I got the Woodstock DVD and that one was simply stunning :
It was really strange to look at Hendrix material with this much detail : He really comes alive and it looks as if you are standing right next to the man himself. Because Woodstock was shot in daytime, the 16 mm. material is much sharper then the Monterey film. You can really recognize faces in the crowd ( if you knew them, haha..).
This Woodstock Blu Ray is simply the best material of Hendrix that you can see ( from a technical point of view ). Yes, there is stil grain from the original film material from 1969, and some minor sync problems , but the colors are beautiful and the sharpness is great.
I am thankfull this material is out on Blu Ray and I feel closer to the past, thanks to this disc.
If you get a chance : try to see this on Blu Ray, even if it is at a friend's house or in the TV store.

The Earth Blues
02-01-09, 09:16 AM
Thanks for your reviews. Now...is it actually cropped into a 16:9 HD ratio? Or is it still in 4:3, but in HD quality?

bolexje
02-01-09, 10:12 AM
Now...is it actually cropped into a 16:9 HD ratio? Or is it still in 4:3, but in HD quality?
Luckily it is not a zoomed in version: It is the original 4:3 format as it should be. On your HDTV there will black bars left and right of the screen.

The Earth Blues
02-01-09, 11:16 AM
Luckily it is not a zoomed in version: It is the original 4:3 format as it should be. On your HDTV there will black bars left and right of the screen.
Thank you. I'd prefer it that way as well.

jamminjimi
02-01-09, 12:48 PM
thanks a lot for your reviews, bolexje. First thing i have to do now is to buy a Blu Ray player :-)

MourningStar
02-01-09, 04:33 PM
I just set up a new 42 inch Ful HD flatscreen ...720 or 1080 / LCD or PLASMA??? (yeah, it makes a difference) - ;)

bolexje
02-02-09, 02:16 AM
720 or 1080 / LCD or PLASMA??? (yeah, it makes a difference) - ;)

Yes it does. I watched it on the Panasonic Viera TH-42PZ85, Full HD 1920 x 1080 plasma television, which came highly recommanded to me by people whose judgement I trust.
I will try to make screenshots of both DVD and BluRay later to show the difference, although they may not give an accurate view.

MourningStar
02-06-09, 10:29 PM
Yes it does. I watched it on the Panasonic Viera TH-42PZ85, Full HD 1920 x 1080 plasma television, which came highly recommanded to me by people whose judgement I trust.What a coincidence, I'm leaning towards Panasonic too, but in a larger screen (btw, the recorder I taped Jimi's 70 LAForum show was Panasonic). Thnx for the update.

CaptainCoconut77
11-15-13, 07:08 PM
For those of you that have the Woodstock Bluray, I'm wondering is it worth upgrading from the DVD for both picture quality and the picture in picture option? I'm tempted to grab it for the PIP but if it's not that great based on the feedback I won't grab it. Any advice would be great. Thanks guys.

Sharpstat
11-15-13, 07:50 PM
For those of you that have the Woodstock Bluray, I'm wondering is it worth upgrading from the DVD for both picture quality and the picture in picture option? I'm tempted to grab it for the PIP but if it's not that great based on the feedback I won't grab it. Any advice would be great. Thanks guys.

The surround audio track is slightly better. The video is improved but not dramatically. I've done the PIP once which was cool to compare. If you find it for a decent price, then go for it.

Experiencereunited
11-16-13, 01:58 AM
Does the Bluray have a non surround sound option?

J.Lucas
11-16-13, 04:22 AM
Does the Bluray have a non surround sound option?

Yes..stereo 2.0

Sharpstat
11-16-13, 01:13 PM
Yes..stereo 2.0

Just curious if you compared the stereo track to the surround track? Your impression of the two?

alien
11-16-13, 03:57 PM
And if you get a blu ray player : there are several more great concerts other then our man to enjoy.Recent blu rays i enjoy very much : Return To Forever:Live At Montreux 2009 ,Steve Vai : Where the Wild Things Are,Kansas : There's Know Place Like Home (very hard to find these days),ELP : Montreux , J.Tull :Live At Montreux 2003,YES : Live at Montreux,Rory Gallagher : Irish tour 74,(i just realize there are many from Montreux...)

BobJahBob
11-16-13, 04:44 PM
And if you get a blu ray player : there are several more great concerts other then our man to enjoy.Recent blu rays i enjoy very much : Return To Forever:Live At Montreux 2009 ,Steve Vai : Where the Wild Things Are,Kansas : There's Know Place Like Home (very hard to find these days),ELP : Montreux , J.Tull :Live At Montreux 2003,YES : Live at Montreux,Rory Gallagher : Irish tour 74,(i just realize there are many from Montreux...)

Yea and blu-ray players are quite inexpensive now too, I've only got Woodstock on blu-ray when it comes to Jimi & i got a copy of The Doors at the hollywood bowl the other day which is in full widescreen & really sharp, I've seen some doors fans critical over some studio tricks used but Jim's mike dropped out on 2 or 3 songs i believe. I've read some mixed reviews about that show ie. Jim was reserved in his performance etc. and i think he was too however his voice is in fine form & the sound is great.
Anyway I need to bolster my blu-ray collection too, some good suggestions there :)

J.Lucas
11-16-13, 08:20 PM
Just curious if you compared the stereo track to the surround track? Your impression of the two?

I don't have a 5.1 setup....
I just have the usual left/right and sub woofer deal for now...
I have the older Universal BluRay release...says it has 'stereo 2.0 / 5.1 /or DTS-HD' audio options
don't know what the Sony/Legacy release has, however I think that the newer release fixed the 'static' PIP problems some people were claiming to have(the PIP would just display a still image)...I haven't experienced that tho' with the Universal release, from what I've seen, the newer Sony/Legacy costs less then the Universal one.
Heck...I don't even have a Blu ray player, if I do get one it'll be for the PC.
Woodstock is my favorite Hendrix performance viewing...I've had that since it was on VHS years ago, then grabbed the DVD version as well; had to get the 2 DVD 'definitive' set as well:)
the Blu(es) I had to D/L along with the other Hendrix Blu rays.
J.L.

jhendrixfanatic
11-16-13, 09:25 PM
2 DVD 'definitive' set
-IMHO It's way underrated:)

ranasakawa
11-17-13, 03:07 AM
Cream albert hall 2005 bluray is great
led zeppelin o2 arena bluray

both porcupine tree's concerts on bluray are amazing

steven wilson also has several great blurays

i agree the doors bluray is great

i also have the bluray for the doors la woman

The yes bluray close to the edge is a must get!

alien
11-17-13, 04:24 AM
Led Zeppelin O2 reunion show must be one of the best concerts recorded with pristine picture and impressive sound.
Jimi Plays Berkeley has also a great soundtrack , plus of course the second set in DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 mix as well as an uncompressed LPCM 5.1 mix.

Sharpstat
11-17-13, 10:09 PM
Led Zeppelin O2 reunion show must be one of the best concerts recorded with pristine picture and impressive sound.
Jimi Plays Berkeley has also a great soundtrack , plus of course the second set in DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 mix as well as an uncompressed LPCM 5.1 mix.

The second set does sound good in both DTS-HD and uncompressed LPCM!

Sharpstat
11-17-13, 10:14 PM

I have the Return to Forever disc. I have always been a fan of them all and have their single recordings also. I have to recommend Jeff Beck live at Ronnie Scott's. It has got to be one of the best mixed and sounding Blu ray discs that I own. You can hear the atmosphere in the club. No instruments in the rear channels like Return to Forever live at Montreux.