PDA

View Full Version : Help locating specific version of "Sunshine of Your Love" with intro?

ExcitableBoy
02-05-09, 12:58 PM
When I was in high school (76-80), I had a cassette copy of some bootleg Hendrix. Songs that I remember being on it were Tax Free and Sunshine of Your Love, among others. What stuck with me about this version of Sunshine of Your Love was Jimi's introduction. I now have at least 10 different versions of Sunshine of Your Love in my collection, but none have this intro. But I keep trying . . .

As best I can remember his exact words, goes something like this:
"Dig, um, we're gonna play a thing by Cream. Not because we think we're better than them, but because we think . . . "

He goes on to praise Cream and show respect for them, but I can't remember the way he phrases it. In either case, if you have heard it, that much at least should sound familiar.

Now I should point out that the source that gave me this tape, or rather let me copy his, John Johnson (aka Ziggy) had been given it by his cousin, Larry Oliver (aka Cisco Kid or C.K. for short). Cisco used to tour with Buddy Miles on a semi regular basis. Cisco, at least for a while, had a white strat, reportedly given to him by Buddy Miles, and was in theory at least, one of Jimi's. But there is no telling how true that was. Cisco had a tendency to exaggerate a bit now and then (insert silly grin here). But one thing for sure, Cisco was one hell of a guitar player . . . as is his cousin Ziggy, whom I credit for teaching me to play.

So it is entirely possible that this version has never been released in any form, since it could easily have come from Buddy Miles' personal collection. Although, I doubt that it did.

So, any ideas?

Side Note:
Ziggy, if YOU are out there, sorry to hear about CK, and pm me your phone number!!!

Also, since this my first post of any kind here, I feel compelled to pay homage to all that contribute here. For me, this site is a wet dream come true!!! It's so nice to see that I am not the last Hendrix fan on the planet! While I may never have any useful content to add, I can, do and will continue to seed all that I download @ 1mb speeds. ;-)

voodoo_child58
02-05-09, 01:03 PM
I presume that the version of "Sunshine of your love" you mean was recorded during "Lulu TV Show" on January 1969.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvzitGsulvg

heyyo
02-05-09, 01:21 PM
When I was in high school (76-80), I had a cassette copy of some bootleg Hendrix. Songs that I remember being on it were Tax Free and Sunshine of Your Love, among others. What stuck with me about this version of Sunshine of Your Love was Jimi's introduction. I now have at least 10 different versions of Sunshine of Your Love in my collection, but none have this intro. But I keep trying . . .

As best I can remember his exact words, goes something like this:
"Dig, um, we're gonna play a thing by Cream. Not because we think we're better than them, but because we think . . . "

He goes on to praise Cream and show respect for them, but I can't remember the way he phrases it. In either case, if you have heard it, that much at least should sound familiar.

Now I should point out that the source that gave me this tape, or rather let me copy his, John Johnson (aka Ziggy) had been given it by his cousin, Larry Oliver (aka Cisco Kid or C.K. for short). Cisco used to tour with Buddy Miles on a semi regular basis. Cisco, at least for a while, had a white strat, reportedly given to him by Buddy Miles, and was in theory at least, one of Jimi's. But there is no telling how true that was. Cisco had a tendency to exaggerate a bit now and then (insert silly grin here). But one thing for sure, Cisco was one hell of a guitar player . . . as is his cousin Ziggy, whom I credit for teaching me to play.

So it is entirely possible that this version has never been released in any form, since it could easily have come from Buddy Miles' personal collection. Although, I doubt that it did.

So, any ideas?

Side Note:
Ziggy, if YOU are out there, sorry to hear about CK, and pm me your phone number!!!

Also, since this my first post of any kind here, I feel compelled to pay homage to all that contribute here. For me, this site is a wet dream come true!!! It's so nice to see that I am not the last Hendrix fan on the planet! While I may never have any useful content to add, I can, do and will continue to seed all that I download @ 1mb speeds. ;-)
Theres some shows where he played Tax Free and Sunshine of your love, do you remember what quality the recording was, soundboard or audience? if it was soundboard it might be one of the winterland shows... He also introduced it like this on one show in germany:
"So ah, we're playin this song not sayin that we play it better than them ahem, not saying that at all. We're just sayin that we dig the group and we dig the cats you know so. like to do it dedicated to them and dedicated to you all too. It'll be an instrumental, a thing by the Cream"sounds kinda familiar but no Tax free at that show :-/...

JediLuke
02-05-09, 01:31 PM

I think this is a version from the "Jimi Hendrix - Live at Winterland 1698" album.
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/6026/foldernq1.jpg

ExcitableBoy
02-05-09, 04:12 PM
I think this is a version from the "Jimi Hendrix - Live at Winterland 1698" album.
As I was starting this thread, I sampled a little of each of the versions I have copies of. That was actually less than helpful cause the more I went back and forth, the more confusing it was as my subconscious started blending the versions together . . . (Argh!) Well, that and it was more than 30 years ago and, as we say, I slept since then . . .

That said, the MP3 I have "Jimi Hendrix Experience - Live at Winterland - 04 - Sunshine of Your Love.mp3", seems to have the same tonal quality and overall mix, at least as I remember it. But again, 30 year old memory isn't much to go on.

I presume that the version of "Sunshine of your love" you mean was recorded during "Lulu TV Show" on January 1969.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvzitGsulvg
Definityly not that version. However, it never occurred to me to search YouTube! What and idea!!! Not to mention, I don't think I have ever "seen" him play it before. ;-) THANK YOU!!

Theres some shows where he played Tax Free and Sunshine of your love, do you remember what quality the recording was, soundboard or audience? if it was soundboard it might be one of the winterland shows... He also introduced it like this on one show in germany:
"So ah, we're playin this song not sayin that we play it better than them ahem, not saying that at all. We're just sayin that we dig the group and we dig the cats you know so. like to do it dedicated to them and dedicated to you all too. It'll be an instrumental, a thing by the Cream"sounds kinda familiar but no Tax free at that show :-/...

Well, the cassette tape was at least 3rd gen from its source, so any realistic evaluation at this point is pure guess work. And just because Tax Free was on the tape, doesn't mean they came from the same show . . . There was some other stuff on the same tape that definitely was not from the same show.

That said, I am fairly certain that it was NOT an audience recording. As I remember it, the generation loss and tape hiss were fairly high, but I don't remember the kind of ambient reverb inherent to the mics being anywhere but on stage... I also seem to remember a fair degree of separation, also not indicative of an audience recording.

The quote resonates with me. That "looks" like it, but I would have to hear it to be sure. Reading and hearing, for me at least, are very different experiences (no pun intended, well, maybe a little:)) Also, it is fairly likely that he introduced it that way more than once. The trick is finding the recordings that preserved the intro.

Note: I remember listing to this while driving my dad's car, that narrows the time frame since it means I had my drivers license and I was still driving his torrino, which was gone by 79'. So it had to be 1977-78.

Now, if it was from a Winterland release, how in the hell did I have a copy in 1977-78? Cisco? I mean sharing bootlegs was a little more difficult back then. But it would explain why I think the Winterland copy I have sounds like it, but the intro in my copy is missing. I could have had a copy of that recording before it was on the release, in an un-edited form. Again, I would need to hear it.