PDA

View Full Version : March 1970 Island studios

univibs
02-24-09, 05:52 PM
In March of 1970 Jimi Hendrix spent a 3 day period at the Island studios recording with Stephen Stills.
any news about this material ?

Olvator
02-24-09, 05:55 PM
not more info than that Steven seems to have found the tapes again while searching his vault, and he planned to release them soon. That was last summer. He supposedly has a full album with songs that have Jimi as a sideman. I donīt know what happened after that. Probably EH either wonīt like the idea at all, or they are trying to make a deal with Steven Stills.

Among my holy grails of Hendrixism is the material from the Arthur Lee sessions also in March (?) 70.....probably never gonna see the light of day.

MourningStar
02-24-09, 07:43 PM
.....probably never gonna see the light of day.
Never say never. It may happen hundreds of years from now.

kees1954
02-25-09, 03:50 AM
In John McDermott's very nice new book Ultimate Hendrix there is a complete rundown of the recording session with Arthur Lee, so at least the tapes still exist and John had a listen!!:)

Olvator
02-25-09, 05:35 AM
In John McDermott's very nice new book Ultimate Hendrix there is a complete rundown of the recording session with Arthur Lee, so at least the tapes still exist and John had a listen!!:)

REALLY??????? kees, that is amazing news to me, thanks! I donīt have that book, i believe i only have Sessions, and Setting the Record Straight.
Anyone have a contact info for Mc Dermott? :-)

Steev
02-25-09, 08:51 AM
Anyone have a contact info for Mc Dermott? :-)

Olve - I just found this at Amazon U.S. I'm sure it's also at Amazon UK. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Hendrix-Illustrated-Encyclopedia-Concerts/dp/0879309385/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235569693&sr=1-5
$23.00 US. Looks interesting, though I've never seen it B4. :homer1:

Ayler
02-25-09, 09:07 AM
About Hendrix / Stills CD (February 02, 2009):

Nash says CSN also plans to tour this year to commemorate the 40th anniversary of their first album. He's also starting work on a Stills box set, which he predicts "will be more than three discs" like "Reflections" and Crosby's "Voyage" in 2006, which Nash co-produced.

"Stephen's box set is going to be much more difficult to put together because of the volume of music," Nash notes. "He was a recording fool. He would stay in (the studio) for days and record lots and lots of things." That includes a tape of Stills jamming with Jimi Hendrix, which Nash says "we're going to listen to, and I'll get with Stephen and figure out if there's enough to make a separate disc."

Source:
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/crosby-stills-nash-ready-to-hit-the-studio-1003937066.story

stylus
02-25-09, 04:47 PM
The Mcdermott book is where i found out the bass story of Hey Joe.

univibs
02-25-09, 05:29 PM
not more info than that Steven seems to have found the tapes again while searching his vault, and he planned to release them soon. That was last summer. He supposedly has a full album with songs that have Jimi as a sideman. I donīt know what happened after that. Probably EH either wonīt like the idea at all, or they are trying to make a deal with Steven Stills.

Among my holy grails of Hendrixism is the material from the Arthur Lee sessions also in March (?) 70.....probably never gonna see the light of day.

this EH is unbelievable, are they real ?! someone should put them outside the law.

Chris M
02-26-09, 02:26 AM
I would not at all be surprised if the Lee/Hendrix session comes out in the next year or two. It absolutelty exists. No doubt about it. Pretty sure EH either has it or has access to it. Not a lot of material though. A few alternate takes of Everlasting First, 2 Ezy Ryder takes and a 10 minute studio jam.

The updated Sessions book is amazing. Loads and loads of new info. Especially on the Axis and EL sessions. I'd say double the info that is in Sessions. Ever heard of an original Jimi song recorded with Mitch and Billy in '70 called All God's Children? The new book has the skinny. Reading the new book is sort of a window into the EH vault. It is obvious there is still some stuff missing (some early AYE sessions, Houston Studios, Cat Mother and Buddy Miles Express session tapes) but they have much more than I thought they did. Tons of stuff from the EL sessions that sounds interesting. Lots of details about track layouts, mixing sessions, etc. If you are interested enough to post here then the book will be essential.

Also has a couple of killer unseen photos of Jimi with the Isley's and a great shot of Jimi in 1962.

dino77
02-26-09, 04:20 AM
I've ordered the book, sounds amazing. I find McDermott's writing style kind of dry, but at least he doesn't go into fiction, like Charles Cross, who goes into his subjects' thought processes. Unless he can talk with the dead, he likely has no clue what Hendrix was thinking at a precise moment in the 60's, or Kurt Cobain in the 90's.

kees1954
02-26-09, 01:27 PM
Well said Crhis: I totally agree. There many very nice details like, for instance, the very short set lists of both Miami, May 18, 1968, performances

univibs
02-26-09, 05:25 PM
Well said Crhis: I totally agree. There many very nice details like, for instance, the very short set lists of both Miami, May 18, 1968, performances
there were two sets ?!

kees1954
02-26-09, 05:40 PM
I'm a little hesitant to give more specific quotes because I think we all should buy a copy and then try to disect every minute detail ...

zombywoof57
08-26-10, 12:39 AM
Yes there were 2 sets one was rained out , my sister was at the rained out show!

ranasakawa
08-26-10, 02:55 AM

The Love stuff is available and available here. 3 track acetate Love Sessions 1970.