PDA

View Full Version : When & where did Jimi say Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens?

stplsd
02-26-09, 06:45 PM
This quote often attributed to Jimi doesn't ever come with a date & place, making it of questionable authenticity, it is obviously a reduction from a quote by Oliver Wendell Holmes (1809 – 1894): "It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen"

Did Jimi actually ever say this?

jerry1970
02-27-09, 05:50 AM
As with the previous quotes so called from Jimi, I have never heard a recording or read an interview where he said this. The 'often cattributed to Jimi' bit makes no sense if you ask me.

stplsd
02-27-09, 05:59 AM
I think the phrase expresses what I mean, I wouldn't say it makes no sense. it depends on where you get your definition of attribute from. But, okay, If you want to be grammatically picky, how about 'ascribed to'?

at·tribhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifut·er, at·tribhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifu·tor n.
Synonyms: attribute, ascribe, impute, credit, assign, refer
These verbs mean to consider as resulting from or belonging to a person or thing. Attribute and ascribe, often interchangeable, have the widest application: The historian discovered a new symphony attributed to Mozart. The museum displayed an invention ascribed to the 15th century.

You surely can infer what I meant - people say Jimi said this, but I see no evidence.

MourningStar
02-27-09, 12:12 PM
It makes sense to me, but 'often attributed'? Never heard this one before either. However, the Holmes connection is familiar. thnx.

boldaslove
02-27-09, 05:03 PM
I heard this quote referring to Jimi, many times as well. Here some examples

http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/32041.html

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/j/jimihendri103615.html

http://www.saidwhat.co.uk/quotes/celebrity/jimi_hendrix/knowledge_speaks_but_wisdom_listens_979

etc etc etc

Interesting that nothing can proove that he actually said this. I never thought about to check it out.

Jenny

jerry1970
03-04-09, 02:02 AM
Those sites are just collections of what people enter. Nothing is checked, no citations or references. Just read what you can read, don't believe everything other people tell you what they have read. (And that includes this message from me, of course. :) )

Roland Stone
09-21-13, 10:14 PM
Those sites are just collections of what people enter. Nothing is checked, no citations or references. Just read what you can read, don't believe everything other people tell you what they have read. (And that includes this message from me, of course. :) )

Someone just reposted this bogus quote on Google+ today. I commented about it being bogus. So of course now I'm the bad guy. Same thing happened the other day with the "Love of power/power of love" quote.

Ron The Bear
09-22-13, 07:45 AM
Such apparently profound quotes are in keeping with Jimi's status as a guitar "god", and as such are often accepted without question by casual fans. They may wish Jimi said these things but of course, in reality he rarely expressed himself as concisely...

gregg
09-22-13, 08:42 AM
Article: ''What Hendrix never said''

http://www.rockprophecy.com/hendrix_quotes_hoax.html

dino77
09-22-13, 09:07 AM
Such apparently profound quotes are in keeping with Jimi's status as a guitar "god", and as such are often accepted without question by casual fans. They may wish Jimi said these things but of course, in reality he rarely expressed himself as concisely...

Yep! If anything he was a master of obscure statements.

Roland Stone
09-22-13, 10:15 AM
Just suffered through Michael Fairchild's rant on this subject. In a nutshell, he believes that Janie is behind these "quotes" and may be profiting from the bumper stickers with Jimi's likeness. He also believes Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles may have had a part in suggesting to Janie & Al that Jimi said these things (but that's purely his speculation.)

DevilsAvocado
09-22-13, 02:13 PM
Just suffered through Michael Fairchild's rant on this subject. In a nutshell, he believes that Janie is behind these "quotes" and may be profiting from the bumper stickers with Jimi's likeness. He also believes Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles may have had a part in suggesting to Janie & Al that Jimi said these things (but that's purely his speculation.)

Where can this rant be found? I'm sure it's an entertaining read! :-) (Watch out, or "Electric Love" will hit you right in the head!) EDIT: SORRY! I missed the link above!

DevilsAvocado
09-22-13, 02:19 PM
"The point of this incident is it highlights how most of those who follow Jimi's music and story don't want to know what he really said and thought, they lack interest in the real Jimi and instead crave a fiction of him."

Oh wow.... And this comes from Michael Fairchild???!!!

Roland Stone
09-23-13, 12:27 AM
Apparently there are some websites that offer pre-fab Facebook and Google+ "profile pages" with celebrity quotes. So people grab these profiles and put them on their own FB pages and then someone else sees it and likes it and it spreads like a virus. I "corrected" yet another one of them today before realizing that I am tilting at windmills here. There are literally thousands of Google references misattributing the quotes to Jimi and there's probably nothing any of us can do that will make any difference in the long run. Time to just let it go . . .

Ezy Rider
09-23-13, 03:18 AM
There must be a Hendrix fan at Google and FB headquarters! Let's hope that thousands of them will love his music and join us at CTT!

Mysticbumwipe
09-23-13, 04:51 AM
Here is another quote that recently has been increasingly attributed to Hendrix.
It was originally from William E. Gladstone who was a British Liberal politician and Prime Minister of the UK four times (1868–1874, 1880–1885, 1886 and 1892–1894). He was a notable political reformer, known for his populist speeches, and was for many years the main political rival of Benjamin Disraeli
The quote appears in The Forbes Book of Business Quotations (1997) edited by Edward C. Goodman and Ted Goodman:p. 639.
"We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace."
--William Gladstone

Carl Jung, seems to have paraphrased Gladstones' quote in his book The Psychology of the Unconscious published in 1943:

"Where love rules, there is no will to power; and where power predominates, there love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other."
--Carl Jung

An Indian meditation guru called Chinmoy Ghose who set up shop in America in the 1960's repeated it:

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then there will be true peace."
--Chinmoy Ghose