PDA

View Full Version : All kinds of everything ...

kees1954
02-28-09, 07:54 AM
Here is a digitized cassette which I originally got from my dear friend, Michael Fairchild. Since Michael was Alan Douglas' consultant at that time a few items are really special. Some are not, though, because they were recorded off of the Lifelines radio broadcast.

I would appreciate everybody's help to identify each of the tracks. What is worthwhile, and what isn't? What are the recording details of every item? Some are obvious and some are not.

Many thanks in advance for your comments.:homer1:

Olvator
02-28-09, 07:59 AM
Here is digitized cassette which I originally got from my dear friend, Michael Fairchild. Since Michael was Alan Douglas' consultant at that time a few items are really special. Some are not, though, because they were recorded off of the Lifelines radio broadcast.

I would appreciate everybody's help to identify each of the tracks. What is worthwhile, and what isn't? What are the recording details of every item? Some are obvious and some are not.

Thank you Kees! let´s check this out. I received two cassettes in the mid Nineties, which were also labelled as Michael Fairchild Tapes Vol. 1 & 2. At that time some of that stuff was pretty rare. I wonder if this is an upgrade or even more unknown stuff sourced from Michael....

kcox5342
02-28-09, 09:10 AM
Awesome, I await the verdict of the experts.

Whatever happened to Fairchild, anyway?

kees1954
02-28-09, 10:22 AM
Mike still has his own website.
http://www.rockprophecy.com/,

He is kind of bitter because he was dumped immediately when Experience Hendrix took over.

pancho1111
02-28-09, 10:38 AM
:000-thanx: kees !

manfree
02-28-09, 02:13 PM
Thanks for this, I will leave ID`ing them to the masters, but it will be a fun listen!

opib
02-28-09, 03:18 PM
:000-thanx:

The Hoochie Coochie Man at least to me sounds like a big upgrade, makes me wonder if there is more from that date... and i don't think i heard that driftin outtake before. Some of the studio recordings sound a little fast to my ears.

Again, many thanks :)

yelapavision
02-28-09, 05:10 PM
I've never heard that version of Cat Talking To Me before. I'm familiar with the title, but the version I have is a completely different instrumental. Would this be a completely new track? Anyone familiar with it on bootleg? Maybe it's on a boot somewhere, but I don't have hardly any commercial bootlegs anymore. Or maybe it's from Lifelines, and I just forgot about it.

It's definitely a backing track to an unfinished tune, and a good one at that. A real rocker. New to me! Great stuff!

thanks to Michael Fairchild, and Kees too!
Mike Parker

Olvator
02-28-09, 06:58 PM
I've never heard that version of Cat Talking To Me before. I'm familiar with the title, but the version I have is a completely different instrumental. Would this be a completely new track? Anyone familiar with it on bootleg? Maybe it's on a boot somewhere, but I don't have hardly any commercial bootlegs anymore. Or maybe it's from Lifelines, and I just forgot about it.

It's definitely a backing track to an unfinished tune, and a good one at that. A real rocker. New to me! Great stuff!

thanks to Michael Fairchild, and Kees too!
Mike Parker

yes, this version of Cat talkin to me is an upgrade to mine. I also used to have it only on the "Michael Fairchild Tapes Vol1&2.....this is the original drumtrack from back in 196??. The more familiar version is the one from Studio Haze wich has Mitch´s overdubbed drums from 1988. This one is the original version. very nice! thank you again Kees!

testamora
02-28-09, 08:41 PM
:thayou219bl:

franky
03-01-09, 03:39 AM
Thanks a lot for this one

kees1954
03-01-09, 05:18 AM
yes, this version of Cat talkin to me is an upgrade to mine. I also used to have it only on the "Michael Fairchild Tapes Vol1&2.....this is the original drumtrack from back in 196??. The more familiar version is the one from Studio Haze wich has Mitch´s overdubbed drums from 1988. This one is the original version. very nice! thank you again Kees!

There is a very nice description of the "Cat Talking To Me" session in John McDermott's new "Ultimate Hendrix" book. It took place on June 5, 1967 at Olympic. I wonder where the other instrumental on the tape comes from: track number 12. The one that is cut abruptly. I don't have a clue really, first I thought it was TTG but to my ears it sounds earlier. It reminded me that Jimi already was trying to do Instrumentals with the Squires in 1966, like Knock Yourself Out. The number on the MF tape has more or less the same feel.

kees1954
03-01-09, 05:30 AM
:000-thanx:

The Hoochie Coochie Man at least to me sounds like a big upgrade, makes me wonder if there is more from that date... and i don't think i heard that driftin outtake before. Some of the studio recordings sound a little fast to my ears.

Again, many thanks :)

Now that's a real mystery item!!! Who is playing slide? Alexis Korner? It would have been recorded in England then. It is the best club jam I ever heard. I just can't believe this is the only thing that survived from that very special night.

firstrays
03-01-09, 08:15 AM
Kees,
many thanks for this tape - was there ever a track 7 ??
mick

kees1954
03-01-09, 08:35 AM
Kees,
many thanks for this tape - was there ever a track 7 ??
mick

Oops, maybe I made a mistake. The trackcounting was done by Nero. Maybe there was some "dead air" on the tape. I'll play it again later.

dino77
03-01-09, 08:37 AM
Now that's a real mystery item!!! Who is playing slide? Alexis Korner? It would have been recorded in England then. It is the best club jam I ever heard. I just can't believe this is the only thing that survived from that very special night.

Thanks! Korner played slide on the BBC version, but why would you assume he plays here though? Doesn't sound too much like him. I've seen this track dated as 1968, New York, but where does this info come from?
Sounds like it could have been recorded anytime from, say, 1966-68.

neerjoop
03-01-09, 09:33 AM
Bedankt Kees, ik ga er kritisch naar luisteren en probeer er wat van te maken

kees1954
03-01-09, 09:35 AM
Thanks! Korner played slide on the BBC version, but why would you assume he plays here though? Doesn't sound too much like him. I've seen this track dated as 1968, New York, but where does this info come from?
Sounds like it could have been recorded anytime from, say, 1966-68.

Ha ha::) that info came from me in the version of Plug Your Ears I did in 1992. Since the tape copy we got, originated from the USA I thought that it was an American jam. But I never could decide really: the piano playing still sounds a little European to my ears. I hope some-one will come out some day and give us more clues. I really have no idea about the participants other than Jimi in this jam.

stplsd
03-01-09, 10:32 AM
Many thanks Kees

Ayler
03-01-09, 10:40 AM
I would appreciate everybody's help to identify each of the tracks.

1. Record Plant Interview
2. London Apartment
>>> incl. Hound Dog (2)
3. Hoochie Koochie Man
>>> As on ATM 153 (Kick Out The Jams)
4. Jam With Mitch (shokan House)
>>> Instrumental Jam (JA 3) + Jams/Villanova Junction (JA 4-5)
5. Voodoo Chile (alt)
>>> From the "Voodoo Chile" session, with Winwood, Casady & Mitchell
6. Drivin' South
>>> As on "Radio One"
7. :confused:
8. Earth Blues
>>> wrong tape speed (sound like if Jimi was tuned in E)
Version?
9. Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
>>> Voodoo Child (Slight Return) (17)
wrong tape speed (sound like if Jimi was tuned in E)
As ATM 245 (Track 17, with right speed)
10. Backward Guitar
>>> aka "Backwards Experiment"
http://www.jimihendrix.com/encyclopedia/document,19700119,2.html
11. Send My Love To Linda
>>> aka "Sending My Love To Linda" I-III (Jimi solo with vocal)
Excellent quality, Incomplete, as on "Villanova Junction"
12. JS 4 - TTG Sessions
>>> As on ATM 181, track 4
13. Bleeding Heart (Intro)
14. Drifter's Escape
Seems to be one of the alternate mix already known (quite hard to compare on those multitracks tapes)
15. Room Full Of Mirrors
16. Stepping Stone
>>> aka "I'm A Man" (rhythm laydown): "Stepping Stone" (6)
17. Drifting
>>> As on "Studio 70" or "A Sea Of Forgotten Teardrops": Drifting (6)
Played after Blind faith's "Had To Cry Today" riff
18. Heaven Has No Tomorrow
>>> Soulful Sessions (ATM 119)
19. Cat Talkin' To Me
>>> As on "KPFA Tapes" (ATM 057), track 1
20. Message To Love
>>> as on "Band Of Gypsys - The Rehearsal Sessions" (ATM 205-206)

bob777rocks
03-02-09, 04:25 AM
Here is a digitized cassette which I originally got from my dear friend, Michael Fairchild. Since Michael was Alan Douglas' consultant at that time a few items are really special. Some are not, though, because they were recorded off of the Lifelines radio broadcast.

Thanx

Experiencereunited
03-04-09, 02:07 AM
Thanks for these. Some of these are huge upgrades. I think the Shokan house jams in particular sound way better than what I had already.

manfree
03-04-09, 04:16 PM
Anybody got any artwork to go with this Please?

firstrays
03-04-09, 05:02 PM
If anyone can supply the full details inc. FTBFS (-) then I'll put some artwork together...
mick

kees1954
03-06-09, 05:25 PM
If anyone can supply the full details inc. FTBFS (-) then I'll put some artwork together...
mick

I'm still trying to find the time to add more details. I'm very thankful to Ayler for sorting things out. If I may propose suggestions for art work. I would go to Michael Fairchild's website for inspiration because I think all the items on this tape are a tribute to Michael for sharing them with us. A nice title would be "Rock Theory."

Reissuleipa
03-07-09, 12:14 PM
Looks awesome. Thank you for this. :thayou219bl:

yelapavision
03-09-09, 07:45 PM
Or maybe "Rock Therapy"

I'm still trying to find the time to add more details. I'm very thankful to Ayler for sorting things out. If I may propose suggestions for art work. I would go to Michael Fairchild's website for inspiration because I think all the items on this tape are a tribute to Michael for sharing them with us. A nice title would be "Rock Theory."

kees1954
03-10-09, 03:46 PM
Or maybe "Rock Therapy"

Oops, I meant "Rock Prophecy," or "Third Stone From The Sun." "It could be either one of those titles," to quote the man himself:wave:

yelapavision
03-12-09, 06:38 PM
Anyone know the date and info on the Record Plant interview?

thanks,
Mike

kees1954
03-13-09, 04:13 PM
Anyone know the date and info on the Record Plant interview?

thanks,
Mike

Difficult question: I've seen it as April 1968. I've always stuck by that. Does anyone have a clue? Jimi complained about "false compliments" in the Dick Cavett show as well.

Makkinen
04-18-09, 08:45 PM
This title is too f.....g good torrent to be left without the cover. Here's two different versions of both front and back covers:

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp74/Makkinenfi/Back-1-1.jpg

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp74/Makkinenfi/Front-1.jpg

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp74/Makkinenfi/Front-2-2.jpg

Makkinen
04-18-09, 08:49 PM
http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp74/Makkinenfi/Back-2.jpg

hendrixjam
04-19-09, 02:38 AM
Thanks for sharing!

Jindrix
04-23-09, 03:32 AM
Thanks a million

vibratinglens
06-02-09, 08:51 AM
Hello,

I had a chance to speak to Michael Fairchild a few years ago and he was very elusive about what he is doing. I am originally from Rochester, NY and Michael is still there and keeping up with his prophecy. I was hoping he would help lead me to a possible Rochester recording but he is a difficult man to talk to, especially about Jimi+recordings. Anyway, thank you so much for this and the artwork as well.

John