PDA

View Full Version : Hendrix at high school

brezelbaer
03-16-09, 01:52 AM
After all the wonderful shows I could download because of your generousity I will share the only gimmick of interest I might contribute:
This is a copy of a program of a high school Christmas or whatever show Jimi Hendrix was involved. He and some other guys gave something called "Charlie Brown".
See also the autograph as "James Hendrix" at the bottom of the page.
I got this document by a German collegue of my wife who spent one or two years at the same high school like Jimi. I don't know much about it, I only remember that she mentioned having been in the same choir like Jimi.
Hope you'll like this, best wishes, Stephan. :wave:

PS: A better copy (a bitmap of almost 6 MB) can be found in the attached torrent file (if it should work; please be patient, it is my 1st attempt).

Roland Stone
03-16-09, 04:59 PM
Fantastic! Undoubtedly this is some kind of performance of the Coasters song. (Note my previous comment about the Coasters in the "Who Influenced Jimi" thread!)

So many questions come to mind! Was Jimi playing guitar with this group? Was he singing? Or perhaps were they all just mugging to the record?

Are Jimi's classmates, Roosevelt Hubbard, Melvin Jackson, Preston Traxler or Eddie Wells still living? Maybe in the Seattle area? I'd love to hear their memories of this event and anything else they might remember of Jimi's school days!

Roland Stone
03-16-09, 08:44 PM
Google reveals that Roosevelt Hubbard is a Seattle area real estate agent and was also a member of "The Clovers" in the mid 70's. The Clovers, of course were a singing group very similar to the Coasters whose biggest hit was the Leiber/Stoller song "Love Potion #9".

I've sent Mr. Hubbard an e-mail request for his remembrances.

kcox5342
03-17-09, 06:55 AM
Great find! Makes me wonder... does anyone have Jimi's high school yearbook picture? I imagine that would be very amusing.

ap0llo
03-17-09, 09:39 AM
http://i44.tinypic.com/fnre2o.jpg

This it? I found it on my computer.

stplsd
03-17-09, 07:42 PM
Many thanks for this excellent new piece in the Jimi puzzle. Check out the Coasters vid on youtube (unfortunately cut short) and Ike Turner & the Rhythm Kings '59 TV version. Jimi being a self confessed TV addict no doubt saw many of these R&B acts of the day on the box.

purple jim
03-26-09, 04:33 PM
Didn't Bruce Lee attend the same high school as Jimi or something ?

Jimi_Uchihaeyez
03-26-09, 04:37 PM
Didn't Bruce Lee attend the same high school as Jimi or something ?supposedly.

scoutship
03-27-09, 12:43 AM
Didn't Bruce Lee attend the same high school as Jimi or something ?

No.

purple jim
03-27-09, 01:02 AM
Yeah, you are right, I just did a little web search. Bruce did a demonstration at Garfield High in 1963 that's all.
However, I did discover that Quincy Jones attended the same school !

scoutship
03-27-09, 01:53 PM
Yeah, you are right, I just did a little web search. Bruce did a demonstration at Garfield High in 1963 that's all.
However, I did discover that Quincy Jones attended the same school !

Well it was actually B Lee's future wife Linda who went to the same hs as Jimi, that's one of the reasons for the confusion but one would think JH fans would know by now as this has come up time & again in the past.

btw local (Seattle) writer is at work on a new Bruce L bio, no notion when it'll be done & come out

Linda was a couple/3 yrs younger than JH, who left school early (when he was around at all lol) as we all know, they may never even have crossed paths or passed in the hall

purple jim
03-27-09, 03:20 PM
It's quiz time folks. Which Hendrix recording has a reference to Bruce Lee ?

hyper_hippie
03-27-09, 05:12 PM
Vc (sr)?

BURTCOBAIN
03-27-09, 06:10 PM
Hey Bruce ??

Roland Stone
03-27-09, 08:54 PM
Lover Man? (Flight of the Bumblebee section of Lover Man was the Green Hornet theme song. Lee played Kato.)

purple jim
03-28-09, 01:48 AM
Lover Man? (Flight of the Bumblebee section of Lover Man was the Green Hornet theme song. Lee played Kato.)

Not quite the answer I was looking for.

Roland Stone
06-22-09, 09:20 PM
Not quite the answer I was looking for.

So what was the answer?

purple jim
06-23-09, 10:04 AM
Sorry Roland, I forgot to get back to you about this. You were indirectly correct as the answer I was looking for is "Hornet's Nest" (also known as "Kato's Special").
Jimi would later incorporate the tune into his solos during "Lover Man".

lostarchives
06-29-09, 11:24 AM
Do we know what year this Christmas show took place? Is there a cover page to the program? Could anyone reseed the larger file? The smaller one blurs when enlarged.

Great find!

Roland Stone
07-07-09, 02:23 PM
Roosevelt Hubbard called me today from Seattle. He was thrilled to know the Christmas program exists and I promised to send him a copy. He says was not in a regular band with Jimi. The "Charlie Brown" feature in the Xmas program was probably a one-off with a small band picked out of the orchestra.

"I don't remember much about the music" he says "except that I played trumpet in the school orchestra and Jimi joined the orchestra as a guitar player which was pretty much unheard of. But that was Jimi - you never saw him do anything or go anywhere without his guitar."

"I could tell you some stories" he says "but my wife might not appreciate them! You see, Jimi and I were what you might call girl chasers. So most of what I remember is about that sort of thing!"

"My wife Carolyn though, she remembers a lot more than me. She grew up right across the street from the Hendrix family on Florence Court. I'll tell her to call you."

Roland Stone
07-07-09, 08:00 PM
Hey I promised Roosevelt Hubbard I'd sent him that Xmas program but I can't get a seed to the torrent. Can someone please reseed it? Thanks.

voodoo_child58
07-08-09, 02:05 PM
Please seed this interesting item, thank you

Olvator
07-08-09, 02:49 PM
yes, same here....please reseed someone. no idea i missed out on this upload....thanks in advance!

Roland Stone
07-10-09, 01:19 AM
> Subject: Hendrix in High School

> Hi Roosevelt,
>
> Sorry I'm late getting back to you but I ran into a bit of a problem with the Xmas program. The only photo presently available is quite blurry. There used to be a much higher quality photo of the program on the Crosstowntorrents.Org website, but it is currently unavailable. We're hoping the original uploader will make it available again, but for now this blurry pic is all we've got. The text is barely readable, but the third entry up from the bottom says:
>
> CHARLIE BROWN - James Hendrix, Roosevelt Hubbard, Melvin Jackson, Preston Trexler & Eddie Wells.
>
> Are you in contact with any of the other guys listed?
>
> I'm also attaching Jimi's high school yearbook photo and another picture possibly from a year or two later in a photo booth.
>
> Please send me any other recollections that you or your wife may remember

WOW! You have great eyes to be able to see this. After looking at it for a while I was able to make out a few of the names too.

Preston Traxler and Eddie Wells have passed on. I'm not sure where Melvin Jackson is. I will check with my wife to see what she can come up with. She grew up with "Jimmy" ( before he became Jimi) and can tell you lots of stuff about Jimmy. She is still in touch with lots of people that may still have photos of him. Thanks for the memories. I had forgotten all about this program. We had a great time as kids. Also, Bruce Lee was one of our running buddies too. Neither Jimi nor Bruce was famous then. We were just kids doing crazy kid stuff like snatching pom-poms from the girls after a football game or "raiding" (stealing cherries from) cherry trees in the neighborhood after dark. You really should get in touch with my wife Carolyn. She remembers EVERYBODY and EVERYTHING and is still in touch with a lot of those people. I left Seattle after graduation, probably before Jimmy and Bruce left, and I never saw either of them in person again. Again, THANKS for the memories.

Roosevelt

voodoo_child58
07-10-09, 01:58 AM
From the book:

Voices from home