PDA

View Full Version : Who Knows

purple jim
03-21-09, 02:25 PM
I just bought the excellent "James Brown's Funky People Vol. 3" and there is a track on it titled "Who Knows" (James Brown/Bud Habgood/William Bowman Jr.). The booklet says that it was recorded in 1968 by The Dapps but released in February 1970 as the B-side of a single by Beau Dollar (the nickname of The Dapps' drummer).
The basic riff is similar to the descending riff that Jimi put down for his "Who Knows" at The Fillmore concerts. This leads me to think that the band knew the song and had jammed off the riff to create their own version of the song. This would make sense as it was only performed at the Fillmore along with the band's covers of "Stop" and Sly Stone's "Sing A Simple Song" and "Everyday People" (which became "We Got To Live Together" by Miles).
James Brown produced a multitude of artists and put out so many albums and singles in the late 60s that it is possible that the song had cropped up somewhere else before this February 1970 release.

What is your opinion ?

Beau Dollar - "Who Knows"
http://hypem.com/track/693623">Beau Dollar - Who Knows</a>

stplsd
03-21-09, 03:20 PM
Don't hear it. I don't hear Every day people or Sing a simple song in We Gotta live either apart from a very short reference.

What about New York rock & roll ensemble's ‘Sing Lady Sing’ Buddy allegedly used the music from this for Them changes, not heard it though, so I can't say

MourningStar
03-21-09, 03:28 PM
What is your opinion ?Dollar's tune is as similar to Jimi's as black is to white. To me, the tune sounded more like AWB's 'Pick Up The Pieces'.

purple jim
03-21-09, 05:37 PM
Dollar's tune is as similar to Jimi's as black is to white. To me, the tune sounded more like AWB's 'Pick Up The Pieces'.

Listen again to the very beginning which repeats throughout. For me, it is definately the source of the Jimis funky riff. One can easily imagine Jimi toying with and building on that.

johanincr
03-21-09, 05:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxQMUgU-nMY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUb8Uo47ZnU

both these videos are from 'after jimi', but the artists recorded released versions of the song prior to 1969,not on youtube though,but worth checking out. i'm wondering which one(s) jimi listened to.

who knows? who knows.

MourningStar
03-21-09, 08:27 PM
Listen again ...Sorry, even a third listen don't do it.

One can easily imagine ...Well, I definitely will not wrestle with someone's imagination!

purple jim
03-22-09, 03:40 AM
I'm convinced that the BOG jammed off this song which s why it never reappeared in Jimi's repertoire or as a studio track. Jimi was like a sponge who sucked in everything around him.
(As for "Stop", the band were obviously also aware of the version on the 1968 "Super Session" jam album by Bloomfield/Kooper/Stills).
http://www.deezer.com/track/614398

stplsd
03-22-09, 06:18 AM
Yes well maybe if it did actually bear any resemblance at all which I repeat I just don't hear. There's also the matter of it not being released until after the event, well...

As for 'Stop' they were definitely more aware of the original 1967 Howard Tate (1968 R&B hit at #15) vocal single version as the BOGs is an almost identical reading of this. the '68 Super session bears very little resemblance to the single, being just an extended instrumental jam only based on the music.

dino77
03-22-09, 06:46 AM
Don't hear it. I don't hear Every day people or Sing a simple song in We Gotta live either apart from a very short reference.

What about New York rock & roll ensemble's ‘Sing Lady Sing’ Buddy allegedly used the music from this for Them changes, not heard it though, so I can't say

Duh. The intro to "We gotta..." IS the riff from "Sing a Simple Song".
Miles Davis also borrowed this riff and transformed it for the "Jack Johnson" album.
Don't hear any similarity between the 2 "Who knows" though.

purple jim
03-22-09, 07:02 AM
I am surprised that you guys don't hear the hint of Jimi's "Who Knows" in the opening riff. It's damn obvious to me. i've been listening to Jimi for nearly 40 years and I know how he would take a riff and bend it, work around it, until he put down what he wanted. The fact that the thing is also called "Who Knows" (!) is the clincher for me.

stplsd
03-22-09, 07:49 AM
Duh. The intro to "We gotta..." IS the riff from "Sing a Simple Song".
Miles Davis also borrowed this riff and transformed it for the "Jack Johnson" album.
Don't hear any similarity between the 2 "Who knows" though.

I said there was a short reference. To change my tune somewhat, I did go back and listen again and I agree Jimi does quote the main riff several times. But the overall song doesn't bear much resemblance really. It may well be that the song is "based" on it. I think sly would have a hard time in court trying to get any royalties form this though. Just had another listen yeah Everyday people's there too. oops! maybe would have a case, putting the two together!

dino77
03-22-09, 09:18 AM
No harm intended :)
It's true the song is not really based on the riff.
It's just Jimi and Eddie made it the intro on the released version so it's very obvious.