PDA

View Full Version : A gentler side to Hendrix: A long-forgotten tape could reach £100,000

ElectricWing
03-22-09, 12:36 AM
A gentler side to Hendrix

A long-forgotten tape of the rock star could reach £100,000 at auction next month

By Paul Bignell
Sunday, 22 March 2009

At a quarter of an inch wide and 1,800 feet long, the reel of black polyester audio tape in its battered, coffee-stained, green box suggests nothing about the musical treasure it holds. But when played, it is unmistakably Jimi Hendrix – lo-fi, stripped back to a single guitar and unvarnished voice.

Forgotten for decades, the recordings capture Hendrix at his most reflective. The tape, listened to by The Independent on Sunday yesterday, will be sold at auction next month. Expected to fetch between £50,000 and £100,000, the songs, 14 in total, date back to 1968 as Hendrix worked on his third album, Electric Ladyland.

Rather than containing his trademark distorted guitar and a full backing band, most of the tracks feature Hendrix singing and playing guitar quietly by himself in an apartment. Several tracks include a second musician playing harmonica.

"This tape shows his very sensitive, creative side," said Ted Owen, a memorabilia expert and CEO of the Fame Bureau (famebureau.com), the site that will auction the tape. "The wild man of rock is not there at all."

The tape was given to Carl Niekirk by Hendrix himself. Mr Niekirk worked in a photography studio below the rock star's flat in Brook Street, central London. As there was only one entrance to the flat, Mr Niekirk would often let Hendrix and his friends – including George Harrison – into the flat. "It was a constant stream of people coming and going and partying," he said. At one point, Hendrix asked Mr Niekirk if he could borrow some milk and sugar. When he took it up to Hendrix's flat, the singer gave him the tape. Mr Niekirk said: "Because I asked him, he just gave it to me. As simple as that." The tape then passed to Mr Niekirk's sister, who ran a pub in Epping Forest, and there it languished in a box in a wardrobe.

The tape is now owned by Mark Sutherland and Paul Jackson, who run the Cafe Music Studios in east London. They bought the tape for a nominal sum 10 years ago, and now, after years of legal wrangling with the Hendrix estate, the pair are finally able to sell it.

ElectricWing
03-22-09, 12:37 AM
Anyone know if this is anything new?

purple jim
03-22-09, 05:31 AM
It sounds like the Paul Karuso appartment/hotel jams no ? We already know of "Bright Lights Big City" (various bootlegs), "Room Full Of Mirrors" (MCA 2000 box) and "Tears Of Rage" (excerpts on the "Happy Birthday Jimi" bootleg).
Let's hope that the tape is something completely knew however.

stplsd
03-22-09, 06:08 AM
Let's hope we ever get to hear it! EH inc. etc. like to buy stuff up and then hide it away in a vault - for years (forever?) black gold anyone?

Then there are those weirdo's who just like to hang on to their unheard, unseen treasures, seemingly until death takes them: Gold & Goldstein? etc. etc.

Armel
03-22-09, 08:57 AM
It seems that the auction will be at april 28.

http://www.famebureau.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/hendrix_tape.74120429.jpg

"A never-heard before recording from Jimi Hendrix including tracks for his then forthcoming album Electric Ladyland and includes the Dylan track 'Tears of Rage' an amazing piece of history, to be auctioned April 28th."

http://www.famebureau.com/

MourningStar
03-22-09, 11:17 AM
EH inc. etc. like to buy stuff up and then hide it away in a vault - for years (forever?) black gold anyone?This is not surprising. In fact it is the wise process to insure that your heirs will be well provided for. Centuries from now stuff that we today believe exists will see the light of day and generate an income for Jimi's decendants. It's the logical way to care for a legacy. The rich have been doing this since forever, barring wars and/or 'acts of God' (i.e. nature's retributional-type events).

purple jim
03-22-09, 11:43 AM
I…and includes the Dylan track 'Tears of Rage'

What did I tell ya !:bananasmile:

MourningStar
03-22-09, 12:56 PM
"A never-heard before recording from Jimi Hendrix ..."Before what?

Roland Stone
03-22-09, 02:14 PM
I don't think Jimi's descendants will be profiting from Jimi's recordings "centuries from now". Thankfully, all of his recordings will become public domain well before the end of THIS century.

MourningStar
03-22-09, 08:50 PM
I don't think Jimi's descendants will be profiting from Jimi's recordings "centuries from now". Thankfully, all of his recordings will become public domain well before the end of THIS century.You don't get it. Private property in the possesion of an individual is not 'public domain'. No law can force me to 'give it up'. I can suggest (or 'will') that such property be 'kept in the family' and periodically sold off by future heirs. Smellin' the coffee?

peace,

Ezy Rider
08-20-10, 06:33 AM
same old news, bit more info.

<style>.wysiwyg { PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 5px 10px 10px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT: 10pt verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; BACKGROUND: #f5f5ff; COLOR: #000000; PADDING-TOP: 0px } .wysiwyg A:link { COLOR: #22229c } .wysiwyg_alink { COLOR: #22229c } .wysiwyg A:visited { COLOR: #22229c } .wysiwyg_avisited { COLOR: #22229c } .wysiwyg A:hover { COLOR: #ff4400 } .wysiwyg A:active { COLOR: #ff4400 } .wysiwyg_ahover { COLOR: #ff4400 } P { MARGIN: 0px } .inlineimg { VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle } </style> Jimi Hendrix's acoustic Electric Ladyland tape to be auctioned

A demo tape featuring Hendrix playing acoustic versions of songs from Electric Ladyland is to go under the hammer. Not to be confused with Acoustic Ladyland, the dreadful jazz-punk band

Sean Michaels (http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/seanmichaels)
guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/), <time pubdate="" datetime="2009-03-27T10:42GMT">Friday 27 March 2009 10.42 GMT</time>

<figure> http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Music/Pix/pictures/2008/07/18/hendrix3.jpg <figcaption>Jimi Hendrix ... His Electric Ladyland (Unplugged) won't be on Spotify anytime soon. Photograph: Corbis</figcaption>

Jimi Hendrix (http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/jimi-hendrix) was not just a fearsome guitar god who set his instrument on fire – according to a recently uncovered demo tape, he was also a bedroom bohemian who spent much of his time listening to Bob Dylan's folk ballads.

Fourteen acoustic demo songs by Hendrix, recorded in 1968 and traded to a neighbour in exchange for milk and sugar, are to be auctioned in April. The battered, coffee-stained green box contains 1,800ft of quarter-inch tape, from when Hendrix was working on his third album, Electric Ladyland.

The songs mostly feature Hendrix playing solo acoustic guitar. Though he covers Dylan, he plays Tears of Rage and not the now-classic All Along the Watchtower, which appeared on Electric Ladyland. A few tracks include an unnamed harmonica player.

Hendrix gave the tape to Carl Niekirk, who owned a photography studio beneath the rocker's Brook Street, London flat. "It was a constant stream of people coming and going and partying," Niekirk told the Independent. As the flat and studio shared an entrance, the photographer would often have to let in Hendrix or his guests – including George Harrison.

One day, Hendrix asked Niekirk if he could borrow some sugar. When the photographer took it up, the rock star gave him the tape. "Because I asked him, he just gave it to me," Niekirk said. "As simple as that."

Niekirk eventually passed the tape on to his sister, who owned a pub in Epping Forest. There, it languished in a wardrobe for years until Mark Sutherland and Paul Jackson, owners of London's Cafe Music Studios, bought the tape for a "nominal fee" 10 years ago.

Of course, just because you own an important piece of rock'n'roll history doesn't mean that you can, er, sell it. There was reportedly almost a decade of legal wrangling before the demos made it past the Hendrix estate and to the Fame Bureau auction block. The sale will finally go ahead on 28 April, with the tape expected to reach between £50,000 and £100,000.

In a happy coincidence, the Hendrix estate is releasing some of its archive recordings. Earlier this week, Hendrix's sister announced a DVD (http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/mar/23/jimi-hendrix-reality-tv-footage) of candid, "reality TV"-style footage and said that another "10 years" of unreleased material remains in their vaults.
</figure>

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/mar/27/jimi-hendrix-acoustic-electric-ladyland

Herman Cherusken
08-20-10, 08:50 AM
.... recorded in 1968 and traded to a neighbour in exchange for milk and sugar...

Yeah right, one of the looters who raided Jimi's appartment(s) after the news of his death have now poped up to cash in on his steal. Have Jimi's Holy Inquisition and Interrogation Squad strap this guy and yank his limbs and what not to get the real story behind his find. "For milk and sugar" my ass...

MourningStar
08-20-10, 10:48 AM
... "For milk and sugar" my ass...hmmm, ... maybe not. I've known certain junkies where this stuff was 'to die for'.

Fenders Fingers
08-20-10, 10:58 AM
Well now, as has been established elsewhere ....................... Jimi generious to a fault?

Thing is we will believe in what we believe in.
I think the story here is bollox. But I can not prove it either way and neither can you.
So lets do as Herman suggests and strap him down and start pulling his limbs off :-)

jeffhmason
08-20-10, 12:22 PM
The reality is someone tried to sell this tape (or a dub of it) years ago on eBay as the short sample tape with portions of "Tears Of Rage" has circulated for some time.

Fenders Fingers
08-20-10, 02:12 PM
The reality is someone tried to sell this tape (or a dub of it) years ago on eBay as the short sample tape with portions of "Tears Of Rage" has circulated for some time.

.......................... and now it's back up for sale ?

manfree
08-20-10, 03:05 PM
Earlier this week, Hendrix's sister announced a DVD (http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/mar/23/jimi-hendrix-reality-tv-footage) of candid, "reality TV"-style footage and said that another "10 years" of unreleased material remains in their vaults.

Haw Haw Haw HA Ha Ha He He He.............etc etc

Fenders Fingers
08-20-10, 03:13 PM
earlier this week, hendrix's sister announced a dvd (http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/mar/23/jimi-hendrix-reality-tv-footage) of candid, "reality tv"-style footage and said that another "10 years" of unreleased material remains in their vaults.

Haw haw haw ha ha ha he he he.............etc etc

who?

jeffhmason
08-20-10, 04:35 PM

So it seems, only this time at formal auction (as opposed to eBay).

Fenders Fingers
08-20-10, 04:39 PM
So it seems, only this time at formal auction (as opposed to eBay).

What auction? Any link?

RobbieRadio
08-20-10, 06:15 PM
They can own it, sell it, auction it and anything else the want with it, EXCEPT RELEASE IT!

EH will sue them into backruptcy if they try to release it. The ONLY WAY it will ever get released is if they sell it to EH at THEIR low ball price which will usually be only 25% of what they paid for it.

The owners will never sell it to EH for less than what the paid for it, SO IT WILL NEVER BE RELEASED!

Welcome to the GREEDY music business where only thing that matters is MONEY!

Scrum Drum
08-21-10, 12:26 AM
Yeah right, one of the looters who raided Jimi's appartment(s) after the news of his death have now poped up to cash in on his steal. Have Jimi's Holy Inquisition and Interrogation Squad strap this guy and yank his limbs and what not to get the real story behind his find. "For milk and sugar" my ass...

Thank you for writing that. It was exactly what I was going to write. It was obviously nicked...

jeffhmason
08-22-10, 12:08 PM
What auction? Any link?

Well according to the article above, it's the fame bureau, but I don't see it listed just yet:

http://www.famebureau.com/hendrix

or here

http://www.famebureau.com/unreleased_recordings

sunrise
08-22-10, 03:11 PM
This thread was started in March 2009 - imo that´s when the tape was up for auction...

Fenders Fingers
08-22-10, 04:03 PM

Interesting to find out if it is then.
The initial link is still available to the tape ................. 2009

Fenders Fingers
08-22-10, 04:04 PM
gesikang?

Ezy Rider
08-22-10, 09:58 PM
just google . . .

And this is the tape and the songs on it:

Lot 402

Estimate £100,000 - £150,000
Starting Bid £50000

Jimi Hendrix Personal Home Recordings.

Jimi Hendrix Personal Home Recordings. A 1600 ft Reel to reel tape recording of a relaxed Jimi hendrix playing acoustic try-outs and covers at home. This tape recording in a green Shamrock box and the tape bears a stickers saying Jimi Hendrix written in biro.

The subdued but overwhelming recordings including a copy of Bob Dylan's 'Tears of Rage' were given to neighbour Carl Niekirk who worked in a photography studio below Hendrix's central London residence and became acccustomed to meeting and greeting Rock's Royalty who would arrive at Jimi's door, because there was only one entrance to the building.

It is believd that Jim bought the tapes with him from New York as he prepared to record Electric Ladyland Sutherland belives that Jimi held the tapes due to their importance but gave them to him aftyer he asked if Jimi could give him a tape of his music. Niekirk belives Jimi gave him the tapes as he had been a patient neighbour and was also regularly 'lending' Jimi milk and sugar etc. The current owners said that a friend of theirs met Niekirk in a pub several years ago and bought the tape from him "for a nominal fee." He is not sure what happened to the second recording.

Since then the tape's new owners have been in legal dispute with the Hendrix estate, and have said they are now finally able to auction the tape. Thirty seven tapes like this are known to exist, but now only one is out there in the public domain.

The tape features 14 tracks:

Blue Jam 1.53 ( High speed 7/12 ips )
Bring it on home 2.54
Quiet slow blues 1.48
Tears of rage (Dylan) 5.22
hear my train a comin' 4.37
Songwriting riff .19
1983.. A merman I shall be 4.48
Long hot summer night (1) 2.03
Long hot summer night (2) 2.15
Long hot summer night (3) 2.36
Long hot summer night (4) 1.57
Song idea (Snowballs) .49
My friend full version 3.58
My friend full version with key change 4.20

Track1. 3 blues harmonica jams with Jimi on guitar and Paul Caruso on harp, these titles were recorded at 7 ½ ips and has guitar on one side and harmonica on the other. At correct speed approx 4 minutes.

Track 2. Has a lengthy version of Willie Dixon's 'Bring it on home' with Harmonica on one and guitar on the other, the listener can tell Jimi is obviously enjoying himself.

Track 3. Is another blues jam, slow paced with predominantly harmonica and guitar.

Track 4. A very well composed version of Bob Dylan's 'Tears of Rage' originally from The Basement Tapes 1967. This recording is lengthy with Jimi and Paul sharing harmonies on the chorus's and Jimi doing wonderful lead vocals. The guitar and vocals are both panned separate and extremely clear. Jimi's voice on this is very passionate as he has obviously interpreted the original very well.

Track 5. is another lengthy version of Jimi's original 'Hear my train a Comin', aka (by Hendrix) "Getting My Heart Back Together Again, which has never been recorded, this way, on any definitive album so this is a another rare track in which Jimi is working hard to capture his true blues style. Played on electric guitar with harmonica and panned vocals. This version is faster than other recordings and performed exquisitely.

Track 6. is a short interesting songwriting riff Jimi obviously wanted to capture for later use, It is played in a distinctive Jimi style and sounds like it could be used on his Cry of Love album.

Track 7. 1983.. A merman I should turn to be. Jimi is writing this song for the Electric Ladyland album. An interesting version as it has various sounds and noises throughout and due to the pan position changing, he has obviously approached the song at another time. One obvious noise is a telephone/doorbell ringing causing Jimi to play some wonderful improvisation and subsequently ignoring the disturbance. This is a beautifully played song with Jimi obviously working very hard on his lyrics.

Track 8, 9, 10, 11. Long hot summer night. There are three versions of the song with new verses added each time. This is a very different version to the Electric Ladyland version, being slower with a funky swing. It also sound like he has stopped at the end of each song as there are paper noises and some light laughter. This song is announced by Jimi saying never song this song before", was he talking to himself or did he have company? There are also various new lyrics added throughout. Electric guitar not plugged in and Jimi singing quietly, this is typical throughout the remainder of the tape, could have been due to the time of day and neighbourly disturbances. Sound quality still remains superb in this format

Track. 12. A short fast untitled song with one and a half verses preceded by opening riffs. Would of suited Electric Ladyland album if followed up.

Track 13'14. My Friend, originally intended for the Electric Ladyland album as this recording proves. There are two complete extended versions with the second played a key higher. The complete song lengths covers a total 8.18 seconds.

This is Hendrix but not the wild man of rock. This is an album of Jimi, jammin, chillin' and groovin." Hear some of the tracks a thefamebureau's youtube channel
Images

Click on thumbnails to see larger images:
http://photos1.liveauctioneers.com/houses/thefamebureau/18707/0402_1_th.jpg (http://photos.liveauctioneers.com/houses/thefamebureau/18707/0402_1_lg.jpg)

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6336364

It seems that it is still up for sale. The answer should be on this website www.famebureau.com (http://www.famebureau.com) which for some strange reason can't enter.

RobbieRadio
08-22-10, 10:09 PM
The Fame Bureau put a video with audio samples from the tape on YouTube here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbHm2OHzjEI

Experiencereunited
08-22-10, 10:35 PM
Interesting he mentions a Stockholm video too they have in the youtube video. I assume he is talking about something other than the 1-9-1969 Early show which has been around collectors circles since at least the early 80s.

Ezy Rider
08-23-10, 09:13 AM
did anybody notice that there was another tape too and now ‘lost' (sounds much like the Aucoustic Jams double CD to me, with similar songs and settings, and phone ringing}?

Also, while the official press release mentions a friendly exchange of the tape for milk and sugar, it now is already shadier stating that the Carl guy "asked" for it. With so many people walking in and out Jimi's flat (other sources on the web mention a constant stream of people and parties at Jimi's flat), Mr. Carl may have taken advantage of the moment when the two reels were left lying around.

zombywoof57
08-25-10, 11:57 PM
who originally bought the tape?

blue ox
05-07-11, 08:03 AM
Hi, has anyone heard any more about this? I can't seem to determine if it ever actually sold (?)

Has it turned up anywhere since?

I sent an email to the Fame Bureau auctioneer from the Lot 402 listing a few days back and have not received any reply.

dunno1

johanincr
05-07-11, 08:34 AM
Hi, has anyone heard any more about this? I can't seem to determine if it ever actually sold (?)

Has it turned up anywhere since?

I sent an email to the Fame Bureau auctioneer from the Lot 402 listing a few days back and have not received any reply.

dunno1

Tears of Rage, Long Hot Summer Night, 1983 and Hear My Train on the recent West Coast Seattle Boy boxset came from that tape, so EH must have bought it at some stage.

blue ox
05-07-11, 08:54 AM
Interesting, is the private tape actually cited as the source of these? I'll have to look into that collection, thanks for the tip.

RobbieRadio
05-07-11, 10:27 AM
Tears of Rage, Long Hot Summer Night, 1983 and Hear My Train on the recent West Coast Seattle Boy boxset came from that tape, so EH must have bought it at some stage.

CORRECT! It's the same tape.

trampledunderfoot
05-07-11, 11:56 AM
...I now feel the sudden urge to listen to some "Tears of Rage"! Hendrix and Caruso, here I come!

johanincr
05-07-11, 04:14 PM
Forgot, 'My Friend' is also on WCSB.

danksquad
05-09-11, 03:28 PM
So I'm guessing (hoping) we can expect Jimi's version of "Bring It On Home" to come out on a future EH release?