PDA

View Full Version : New Janie Hendrix Interview (3/26/09)

The Earth Blues
03-26-09, 12:13 PM
http://www.overnightamerica.com/pages/3736846.php
Fourth link down.

Important tidbits:
-Sounds like there is a lot of backstage footage of Jimi that will be released on the Royal Albert Hall DVD. She says it's like reality TV as we know it today.
-105 minutes of footage...(not sure if this includes the RaH concert or just offstage Jimi footage)

-3 more concerts of film footage nobody has seen

-10 more years of music (as she said before)

-Says they have the full concert of the Band of Gypsys...the live Fillmore Shows...so that is official now as well.

purple jim
03-26-09, 03:59 PM
So, the Albert Hall film will be out "at the end of the year" and not this fall !
We can only speculate as regards the "3 concerts" that nobody has seen. Philharmonic Hall 69 (also filmed by Gold & Goldstein) ? Newport ?

She says that they have "unearthed" 19 reels of 4" tape of the Band Of Gypsys live at the Fillmore 69/70. She says that there are four projects coming out of that alone.
Perhaps she has forgotten that there are already 3 CDs of recordings of the concerts already on the market ! She is thinking of squeezing four more "projects" out of the tapes ? That obviously must mean each complete show (as four separate releases ?). Not much to get excited about seeing that we all already have "Box Of Gypsys" and alot of it is pretty shoddy.
Business as usual at Experience Hendrix.

The Earth Blues
03-26-09, 04:55 PM
So, the Albert Hall film will be out "at the end of the year" and not this fall !
We can only speculate as regards the "3 concerts" that nobody has seen. Philharmonic Hall 69 (also filmed by Gold & Goldstein) ? Newport ?

She says that they have "unearthed" 19 reels of 4" tape of the Band Of Gypsys live at the Fillmore 69/70. She says that there are four projects coming out of that alone.
Perhaps she has forgotten that there are already 3 CDs of recordings of the concerts already on the market ! She is thinking of squeezing four more "projects" out of the tapes ? That obviously must mean each complete show (as four separate releases ?). Not much to get excited about seeing that we all already have "Box Of Gypsys" and alot of it is pretty shoddy.
Agreed. The only big news is the "potential" 105 minutes of Jimi footage...

ilovejimi
03-26-09, 05:12 PM
)

-Says they have the full concert of the Band of Gypsys...the live Fillmore Shows....

I wonder if these Filmore tapes are from Paul Allan's collection

Looking forward to the other concerts as well-- ha, feel like a kid a christmas time :wave:

hawkfan369
03-26-09, 05:17 PM
of course Christmas will be whenever Janie sez :(

MourningStar
03-26-09, 05:21 PM
of course Christmas will be whenever Janie sez :(Agreed, but, fortunately for fans, Janie is not immortal - :D

ilovejimi
03-26-09, 06:08 PM
<TABLE cellPadding=2 width="98%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>
Royal Albert Hall Feb 24th, 1969
1. Lover Man
2. Stone Free
3. Hear My Train A Comin'
4. I Don't Live Today
5. Red House
6. Foxy Lady
7. Sunshine Of Your Love
8. Bleeding Heart
9. Fire
10. Little Wing
11. Voodoo Child (slight return)
12. Room Full Of Mirrors
13. Purple Haze
14. Wild Thing
15. Star Spangled Banner

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>1-15. Evening show Soundboard, 105.00, VG+
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
the above is from the web site Just Ask the Axis-- Janie says the new DVD will be 105 min- that is the same time as the website uses. Perhaps some songs will be edited to include other stuff such being as back stage banter-drinking water, talking to people, exiting out of taxi's, hangin at the apartment, Speakeasy, carring his own guitar etc. I get the feeling that there might not be anything from Feb 18th or from the rehersals. The film crew followed the band for a month- I would hope that more than 105 would come from that production. Janie says in the interview it will be like reality tv as we know it today-- humm 105 minutes- hows it all going to fit-- at the expence of the concet footage-- we will just have to wait and see. As for Christmas-- this dvd might just be coming out at christmas-- Janie says release latter this year. In the end I hope it turns out to be a double dvd set- with the 105min concert left in tact.

The Earth Blues
03-26-09, 07:42 PM
Wow...after that, I have a bad feeling that it'll be what we already have...the overlayed, average quality footage.

Ugg...I hope not.

Chris M
03-26-09, 08:28 PM

I imagine the "3 concerts nobody has seen" would be Strasbourg, Vienna, and Berlin from the 1/69 tour. She could be referring to Miami Pop or Randell's Island. EH has the Miami Pop multi's and pro shot footage.

The BOG tapes are obviously the multitracks that Paul Allen has owned.

C'mon, much of Box of Gypsys is from really poor sources. The multitracks will present a huge sonic upgrade. Even if you aren't a big fan of those shows having them in perfect quality is something I would think all fans would be excited about.

Chris M
03-26-09, 08:30 PM
Wow...after that, I have a bad feeling that it'll be what we already have...the overlayed, average quality footage.

Ugg...I hope not.

What would give you that impression? The raw, unedited footage exists. They filmed Strasbourg, Vienna, Berlin, 2/18 RAH, 2/24 RAH, the Speakeasy jam and loads of backstage and offstage stuff. They have something like 15 hours of footage.

Chris M
03-26-09, 08:35 PM

What the hell does that mean? If by "business as usual" you mean releasing unreleased and unbooted material then I agree with you. Yes, I agree that their release schedule is really slow but it seems that EH worked out a deal with Goldstien's footage and that is something to be excited about. We're talking about pro shot footage of live versions of Tax Free and Come On here..

Chris M
03-26-09, 08:55 PM

4 projects could be something like this...

- boxset of the Fillmore East shows

- maybe 12/31 first show complete on Dagger

- a second Baggy's release from the tapes they bought after the Dagger Baggy's. This includes BOG versions of Stone Free, Come On, Take It Off Him And Put It On Me (a Clarence Carter cover) and unheard versions of the songs on the Dagger Baggy's.

- a BOG studio release

Janie clearly isn't a hardcore fan. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the details. The big news..

1) EH has the raw Gold & Goldstien footage
2) They apparently have worked out a deal for the BOG multitracks

Jimi_Uchihaeyez
03-26-09, 11:11 PM
about the actual interview thing janie said that jimi played monopoly till the morning and he would always pick the shoe and buy up all the slums and put big hotels on it. Does'nt that sound like the lyrics to hear my train a comin?

purple jim
03-27-09, 01:11 AM
What the hell does that mean? If by "business as usual" you mean releasing unreleased and unbooted material then I agree with you. Yes, I agree that their release schedule is really slow but it seems that EH worked out a deal with Goldstien's footage and that is something to be excited about. We're talking about pro shot footage of live versions of Tax Free and Come On here..

I meant that they habitually take their time only to release something that has already circulated: the "First Ray" content, most of the shoddy "Isle Of Wight" concert, "Live At Monterey", "Paris 1968", "Royal Albert Hall" (although the DVD will be an event.

ilovejimi
03-27-09, 09:29 AM
about the actual interview thing janie said that jimi played monopoly till the morning and he would always pick the shoe and buy up all the slums and put big hotels on it. Does'nt that sound like the lyrics to hear my train a comin?
I never thought of that-- thats pretty cool :wave:

RobWats67
03-28-09, 01:40 PM
Janie will probably have the people involved with the RAH project edit out Jimi singing "Hound Dog" in the hotel room because of Kathy Etchingham is in the footage smoking a cigarette while Jimi is playing the acoustic guitar on the bed. Janie doesn't like Kathy Etchingham. Plus, she might have them edit out "Room Full Of Mirrors" because it goes into a very long jam session with Dave Mason, Chris Wood, and Rocki who played congas with Jimi that night.

Chris M
03-28-09, 10:40 PM
Janie will probably have the people involved with the RAH project edit out Jimi singing "Hound Dog" in the hotel room because of Kathy Etchingham is in the footage smoking a cigarette..

You realize that EH has published countless photos of Jimi with a cigarette in his hand right?

..she might have them edit out "Room Full Of Mirrors" because it goes into a very long jam session with Dave Mason, Chris Wood, and Rocki who played congas with Jimi that night.

Right, because EH hasn't released any long jam sessions. Are you just making this shit up as you go along?

stplsd
03-29-09, 01:30 AM

Or doesn't that just sound like a bit of marketing research. Jimi left home in 1961 he only went back 5 times in the next nine years, twice when he was in the army, all very brief visits. "Brother brother brother brother brother" - Al adopted her when she was six, her four sisters were not as welcome. Of course Jimi already had two bothers and two sisters, he had lived and grown up with for a number of years before the three of them that had physical difficulties were put in care by Al -according to Lucille's family - this they say devastated her. Janie met Jimi only three times very briefly, once when she was 7 - he was only home for a few hours, he had played San Berdoo the night before, a long flight, had to play a gig that night, meet friends and family that he actually new and had not seen for five years, which included drinking a fair bit, by several accounts, visit Garfield the next day, and was due in Vancover the next evening for a TV interview and concert. Once when she was 8 - he only arrived a few hours before the concert, stayed at a hotel after the gig and had a long flight the next day to San Diego. once when she was 9 - he flew in that day and after the gig he went out "and ‘hit the town’ with his cousins and some old friends - returning in the early hours of the twenty-seventh to catch some sleep" before Gerry came and took him off to the airport for a long flight to Hawaii, never to return. How many games of monopoly did he squeeze in I wonder. Listen to her, she just spews the biggest pile of hypocritical bull, man, it's nauseous. Jimi only went back to Seattle to play three concerts. By nearly every account apart from Janie's he was not close to Al and hated Seattle. Neither Jimi's daughter & son his brother Leon and his children or any of the actual relatives and close friends of the family that cared for him when he grew up, recieved anything directly from the will, apart from those few in the 'trust fund' or some such set up which - according to reports of the court case brought against Janie & Bob - never actually paid out anything, due to Janie and Bob Hendrix (a cousin of Jimi employed by Janie I believe - looks good to have an actual family member there) spending as much cash as it took to keep the company from the level of profitability required for them to pay out. They were I believe found wanting and the fund placed in others hands by the court. At least one of her sisters has publicly rebuked her for her greed. Do some reading check her out, it's not pleasant. His son James Sundqvist recognised as such by the Swedish legal system was paid a settlement by Janie's EH inc. no doubt with strings attached. Jimi's daughter Tamika is not officially recognised as Jimi died prior to the courts likely recognition of her and in US law this negated any further pursuit of the claim, I'm informed. She get's nothing, as far as I can see. It has been claimed by that Jimi was doubtful that Al was actually his natural father. 'Love forever' or similar was something that Jimi wrote often to various people, He wrote a letter to Al just before he left for the last time spelling Janie as 'Jenny' according to Cross.

RobWats67
03-29-09, 09:09 AM
You realize that EH has published countless photos of Jimi with a cigarette in his hand right?

Right, because EH hasn't released any long jam sessions. Are you just making this shit up as you go along?

Chris,

With Experience Hendrix, you never know what they are going to do. They are very secretive. End of story.

ilovejimi
04-03-09, 09:15 PM
He (JIMI) wrote a letter to Al just before he left for the last time spelling Janie as 'Jenny' according to Cross.
lol- who could blame him- espec with all the changes she has made to her name.-- Jane Renolyds anyone.

ilovejimi
04-03-09, 09:20 PM
Experience Hendrix expects to release two albums later this year, including one on Dagger. Hendrix also expects to release CDs and DVDs this fall that showcase live performances by the Jimi Hendrix Experience at London's Royal Albert Hall, as well as behind-the-scenes footage. When Hendrix performed February 18 and February 24, 1969, at Royal Albert Hall, a camera crew followed him for a month, yielding candid footage of him at home, about town and hanging out backstage. The result, Hendrix says, will be a "reality TV" glimpse of the legendary guitarist.
(Posted 23 March 2009 Jimpress:wave:)

stplsd
04-04-09, 02:33 AM
Yeah? we'll see

RobWats67
04-04-09, 07:10 AM
Yeah? we'll see

Yep.

stplsd
04-13-09, 04:59 AM
I imagine the "3 concerts nobody has seen" would be Strasbourg, Vienna, and Berlin from the 1/69 tour.

Where does the info that these films exist come from?

EH has the Miami Pop multi's and pro shot footage.

Where does this info come from?

dino77
04-13-09, 07:15 AM
Where does the info that these films exist come from?

EH has the Miami Pop multi's and pro shot footage.

Where does this info come from?

"Ultimate Hendrix".

drivinsouth
04-14-09, 03:33 PM
they should release all winterland shows ,oct -10-11-12 68,unedited (box set)

stplsd
04-14-09, 06:43 PM
"Ultimate Hendrix".

Thanks, man. Still waiting on this from amazon they keep putting the publishing back, this is the 3rd time.

63strat
04-24-09, 10:52 PM
Seems to me the more I read and study about how EH is doing things, the more typical it is of yesteryears past with the Alan Douglas's and Mike Jeffrey's in the picture. Jimi's estate is so valuable and his legacy so priceless that greed seeps in on whoever gets hold of his estate. Too bad but just typical of our World. Real similarities to many other rock greats that died and their real families that didn't get a penny...ie John Lennon

:cool:

kees1954
04-26-09, 03:03 PM
Just found a reference to the original news when EMP aquired the Band Of Gypsys tapes:
. . . While I Kiss the Sky. Rare Jimi Hendrix Audio Tapes Surface
By Jon Iverson http://www.stereophile.com/images/arrow.gif May 3, 1998 — The Experience Music Project (http://www.experience.org/) (EMP), a 130,000-square-foot interactive music museum opening in Seattle in 1999, announced on April 30 that it has acquired 19 recently discovered audio tapes of rare Jimi Hendrix recordings from 1969 and 1970.The tapes, from Hendrix's Band of Gypsys period, were acquired at international auction; terms of the acquisition were not disclosed. As a museum "dedicated to the creative process in American popular music," Experience Music Project will preserve and protect the recordings, and give museum visitors the opportunity to learn about and experience them for generations to come.
"These rare recordings are true works of art. They are long-lost reminders of an electric guitar master at his absolute peak, and EMP plans to preserve and protect them to honor the rich musical legacy of Jimi Hendrix," said Peter Blecha, senior curator for Experience Music Project. "We are pleased to have these in our possession---both as a museum dedicated to creativity in music, and as a cultural institution chartered to chronicle the powerful history of American popular music. Foremost, though, we are excited by the opportunity for future EMP visitors to have the chance to finally hear these fabled performances."
The recordings are of four concerts Hendrix and his band performed at the Fillmore East in New York City on Dec. 31, 1969 and Jan. 1, 1970. The 19 tapes feature approximately 50 live recordings of such Hendrix staples as "Purple Haze," "Hey Joe," and "Foxy Lady," as well as unique rarities like "Paper Airplanes," "Auld Lang Syne," and "Burning Desire." The tapes also provide insight into the Band of Gypsys, a group who played together for only a few months and who created a remarkably different, more rootsy, style of music than Hendrix had produced during the initial psychedelic pop period of his career.
"These recordings are the missing link. They are the aural evidence that music fans and scholars have needed in order to allow further study of the development and evolution of Hendrix's skill and artistic style," Blecha enthused. "Having heard the tapes now, I can assure you that additional proof of his genius comes through loud and clear."
Established by Microsoft founder (and Hendrix fan) Paul G. Allen and designed by world-renowned architect Frank O. Gehry, the nonprofit Experience Music Project museum will open in Seattle at the base of the Space Needle in 1999. According to EMP, it will combine "the interpretive aspects of a traditional museum, the educational role of a school, the state-of-the-art research facilities of a specialized library, and the audience-drawing qualities of live performances and popular attractions."

ilovejimi
04-26-09, 03:17 PM
Shame on Janie for releaseing the two disc Filmore set (bootleg generation) when she knew that these 19 tapes existed (nice double dipping)- now we get to buy this stuff all over again. I'm surprised she does'nt put one song on a cd and release Jimi's songs one at a time.

kees1954
04-27-09, 05:47 AM
The only listener's report I've ever heard about the Band of Gypsys, came from my dear and sorely missed friend Tony Brown. In July 1995 he wrote this in a letter to me:
"I finally got to hear some of the Gypsy master reels last week. There was some nice surprises on there for me, and material I just had never heard before. In fact I could not even put any name to some of the tracks!"

Olvator
04-27-09, 06:13 AM
The only listener's report I've ever heard about the Band of Gypsys, came from my dear and sorely missed friend Tony Brown. In July 1995 he wrote this in a letter to me:
"I finally got to hear some of the Gypsy master reels last week. There was some nice surprises on there for me, and material I just had never heard before. In fact I could not even put any name to some of the tracks!"

hmmmm....i suppose that Tony knew the bootleg versions of the BOG shows that were circulating back then, so his quote puzzles me a bit. I mean....we have audience tapes from both shows on the 31st, and video / sdb from the 1st show of Jan 1st, and a very long sdb version from the 2nd show. I wonder what more stuff there should be from the Fillmore shows. complete tracks that we never heard about? that would be a huge surprise for me.

kees1954
04-27-09, 10:27 AM
hmmmm....i suppose that Tony knew the bootleg versions of the BOG shows that were circulating back then, so his quote puzzles me a bit. I mean....we have audience tapes from both shows on the 31st, and video / sdb from the 1st show of Jan 1st, and a very long sdb version from the 2nd show. I wonder what more stuff there should be from the Fillmore shows. complete tracks that we never heard about? that would be a huge surprise for me.

I was under the impression that Tony only had a very quick listen to only a few samples but the Gypsys did so much jamming that it is possible they played some themes we haven't heard before. Anyway it would be wonderful to hear the full concerts. I've always had this dream that there would be a "Best Of" CD for the general market, and a box set for the fanatics. Even if Jimi himself wanted to edit for example "Power Of Soul" it would be great to hear the stuff he wasn't satisfied with. The whole Gypsys project is so great (in my humble opinion) because of its "work in progress" aspects.

RobWats67
04-28-09, 07:50 AM
I hardly have any more words to say about this................

purple jim
04-28-09, 12:47 PM
…it would be great to hear the stuff he wasn't satisfied with.

Isn't "Box Of Gypsys" enough to realise how untogether the Band Of Gypsys were ? All of the concerts are pretty well there and with "BOG" and "Live At The Fillmore" on the market, I can't see what there is to get excited about.
I listened to "Morning Symphony Ideas" today and Buddy Miles is appalling on it.
Give us more Jimi Hendrix Experience recordings for God's sake !!!

kees1954
04-28-09, 01:07 PM
Isn't "Box Of Gypsys" enough to realise how untogether the Band Of Gypsys were ? All of the concerts are pretty well there and with "BOG" and "Live At The Fillmore" on the market, I can't see what there is to get excited about.
I listened to "Morning Symphony Ideas" today and Buddy Miles is appalling on it.
Give us more Jimi Hendrix Experience recordings for God's sake !!!

Ha ha, I can sympathize with what you're saying ... Buddy's drumming is often very monotonous. I really marvel his sound, though. After hearing the Band Of Gypsys, Miles Davis started looking for the same drum sound in every drummer he played with from then onwards. With Mitch Jimi's compositions are characterized by lots of sudden rhythm variations, but Buddy I think he concentrated more on his tone and stretched out to the limit in his playing. When they hit it off, they really sounded like nobody else. I found it striking that they already played in that mode at Winterland on Feb. 4, 1968. Maybe they developed it during those fabled jams at Steve Stills' house in Malibu right after Monterey?
Anyways, to really appreciate Jimi's sound we should be able to hear it in the best possible recording quality, I would say :)

RobWats67
04-30-09, 07:50 AM
I've seen a lot of Jimi Hendrix CD's at used CD stores. The stuff that Experience Hendrix put out on Jimi is often found there like First Rays Of The New Rising Sun, South Saturn Delta, Live At Woodstock, Live At The Fillmore East, Re-issues of Are You Experienced, Axis: Bold As Love, and Electric Ladyland.

The older CD's from the Warner-Reprise copies pop up every once in a blue moon.

I just can't give somebody my money who isn't a blood relative. That's my theory.

Chris M
05-01-09, 12:28 AM
Shame on Janie for releaseing the two disc Filmore set (bootleg generation)

You speak from a position of ignorance.

Nothing on Fillmore East is anything close to "bootleg generation". EH used mixes done in 2/70 by Jimi and Eddie during the preperation of the BOG LP. You see, Jimi and Eddie mixed several performances that didn't make the album. The 2 track mastrers of thrse mixes is what EH used. NONE of that shit had been booted from that source. A few tracks had never been booted at all. Poor aud tapes and SB tapes are all that did the rounds save for a couple of tracks. I think having mixes Jimi had a hand in is valuable.

Seriously, try and know what the fuck you are talking about next time.

Chris M
05-01-09, 12:32 AM
I just can't give somebody my money who isn't a blood relative. That's my theory.

Really? You wiill be denying yourself a ton of great (non-Jimi) music if you hold yourself to that. Forget about buying any garage rock, pre-WWII records and early Chicago blues then.

BTW, what you posted isn't a theory.

I hardly have any more words to say about this................

Yet you keep on posting anyway.

Chris M
05-01-09, 12:43 AM
Seems to me the more I read and study about how EH is doing things, the more typical it is of yesteryears past with the Alan Douglas's and Mike Jeffrey's in the picture.

I guess the difference is..

1) EH doesn't hack up Jimi multitracks.

2) EH doesn't erase parts of multitracks and replace them with overdubs done by session musicians 5 years after Jimi died.

3) EH doesn't drop in applause from unrelated recordings in an effort to make it sound like the crowd was larger (:Woodstock)

4) EH actually tried to track down unheard tapes

5) EH almost always releases unedited recordings

6) EH doesn't refer to recordings made by the Jimi/Mitch/Billy band as the BOG

7) EH doesn't remove songs from compilations because 11 year old girls say they sound "dated" (Douglas didn't include several songs on his version of First Rays (the Voodoo Soup debacle) because his daughter didn't like them)

8) EH makes an effort to have accurate liner notes. Douglas often got the studio, personnel and YEAR wrong on tracks.

EH has done several things I didn't care for at all but if you think they are anything like Douglas then you are seriously misinformed. Do you guys not remember the awful edits on the Douglas Woodstock and IOW DVD's?

purple jim
05-01-09, 04:32 AM
Nicely put Chas.
We do slam EH pour certain things, justifiably in some cases. I have been pretty frustrated up to here with their mainstream releases but they have more than compensated with the excellent Dagger series.
Douglas' overdubbing techniques were dreadful but I think his enhancing of some live performances was worthwhile (Winterland, JH Concerts). He also gave us the pleasing "Blues" compilation and some fans prefer his versions of Jimi's three studio albums.

RobWats67
05-02-09, 06:33 AM
I will put it another way. Most of the Jimi Hendrix fans don't like the way on how Experience Hendrix, including Janie, have been handling things.