PDA

View Full Version : Velvert Turner who is he?

stplsd
04-01-09, 08:37 AM
Where did Velvert appear from, I've only ever heard of him from his sudden appearances in 'Experience Hendrix Inc.' (Janie) videos, is there any evidence that he new Hendrix at all, what's the connection?

dino77
04-01-09, 10:05 AM
Apparently he was a young guitar player who followed Jimi around. Don't think I've seen any "evidence" though.

stplsd
04-01-09, 10:24 AM
Yeah, exactly, I got that much, but obviously (I would have thought) I am wondering if there is anything to back this claim up or is it just some bloke off the street? An aquaintance of Janie's maybe? Why seemingly no earlier record of him? He's always interviewed on his own, nobody who knew Hendrix seems to mention him at all? What qualifies him to appear in these videos? It seems a bit odd to say the least. Maybe there's loads of stuff on him out there? I'm curious.

nocturnalnh
04-01-09, 11:37 AM
Well....Jimi did give him a Strat at one point.......plus he died within the last couple of years N_n

kusz1
04-01-09, 11:46 AM
If u look closely on the side of the stage at the woodstock performance-It appears as if one of the fans (flower freak,dare I say..) resembles Velvet. I could be wrong but watch the performace-He seems to be sitting by the side of the stage wearing a headband like Jimi-Bethel is not to far away from the big apple where Velvet seem to roam-Ck it out for any leads

kcox5342
04-01-09, 12:06 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Lloyd_(guitarist)#Teenage_years

stplsd
04-01-09, 01:47 PM
Well....Jimi did give him a Strat at one point.......plus he died within the last couple of years N_n

Many people claim Jimi gave them a strat, doesn't neccessarily mean that he did though, eh?

stplsd
04-01-09, 01:55 PM
Here's a link to Lloyd the Television guitarist who tells his story about him, Velvert & Hendrix

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/01/nyregion/thecity/01hend.html

RobbieRadio
04-01-09, 09:50 PM
Deaths TURNER, VELVERT

Published: Monday, December 18, 2000

<script type="text/javascript"> var articleToolsShareData = {"url":"http:\/\/www.nytimes.com\/2000\/12\/18\/classified\/paid-notice-deaths-turner-velvert.html","headline":"Paid Notice: Deaths TURNER, VELVERT","description":"TURNER-Velvert. A noted musician and former understudy of Jimi Hendrix, passed away on the morning of December 11, 2000, at his home in Brooklyn, New York. Velvert was born October 12, 1951, and is survived by his mother, Helen Harris. Mr. Turner was an accomplished guitarist who crossed paths with Jimi Hendrix as a young teenager growing up in New York City in 1966. He was befriended by Hendrix, who recognized the young scholar's passion for the electric guitar. The legendary guitarist served as a mentor to Mr. Turner, offering both guitar instruction and professional advice to the young musician. Following Hendrix's death in September, 1970, Mr. Turner pursued his own musical career, forming the Velvert Turner Group with Prescott Niles and Tim McGovern. He continued to tour and record for almost two decades. In recent years, Mr. Turner was employed by Samaritan Village in Brooklyn, New York. His efforts on behalf of those struggling with substance abuse made a significant difference in the lives of countless people. A memorial service for Mr. Turner is scheduled for 10 AM, Tuesday, December 19, at Armstrong Funeral Home, 822 St. John's Place, Brooklyn, NY. In lieu of flowers, his family asks that donations be sent to Experience Hendrix, PO Box 58070, Seattle, WA 98138-1070. These donations will be offered to area charities supported by Mr. Turner.","keywords":"","section":"classified","sub_section":"classified","section_display":"Classified","sub_section_display":"Classified","byline":"","pubdate":"December 18, 2000","passkey":null}; function getShareURL() { return encodeURIComponent(articleToolsShareData.url); } function getShareHeadline() { return encodeURIComponent(articleToolsShareData.headline) ; } function getShareDescription() { return encodeURIComponent(articleToolsShareData.descripti on); } function getShareKeywords() { return encodeURIComponent(articleToolsShareData.keywords) ; } function getShareSection() { return encodeURIComponent(articleToolsShareData.section); } function getShareSubSection() { return encodeURIComponent(articleToolsShareData.sub_secti on); } function getShareSectionDisplay() { return encodeURIComponent(articleToolsShareData.section_d isplay); } function getShareSubSectionDisplay() { return encodeURIComponent(articleToolsShareData.sub_secti on_display); } function getShareByline() { return encodeURIComponent(articleToolsShareData.byline); } function getSharePubdate() { return encodeURIComponent(articleToolsShareData.pubdate); } function getSharePasskey() { return encodeURIComponent(articleToolsShareData.passkey); } </script> <script type="text/javascript">writePost()</script>TURNER-Velvert. A noted musician and former understudy of Jimi Hendrix, passed away on the morning of December 11, 2000, at his home in Brooklyn, New York. Velvert was born October 12, 1951, and is survived by his mother, Helen Harris. Mr. Turner was an accomplished guitarist who crossed paths with Jimi Hendrix as a young teenager growing up in New York City in 1966. He was befriended by Hendrix, who recognized the young scholar's passion for the electric guitar. The legendary guitarist served as a mentor to Mr. Turner, offering both guitar instruction and professional advice to the young musician. Following Hendrix's death in September, 1970, Mr. Turner pursued his own musical career, forming the Velvert Turner Group with Prescott Niles and Tim McGovern. He continued to tour and record for almost two decades. In recent years, Mr. Turner was employed by Samaritan Village in Brooklyn, New York. His efforts on behalf of those struggling with substance abuse made a significant difference in the lives of countless people. A memorial service for Mr. Turner is scheduled for 10 AM, Tuesday, December 19, at Armstrong Funeral Home, 822 St. John's Place, Brooklyn, NY. In lieu of flowers, his family asks that donations be sent to Experience Hendrix, PO Box 58070, Seattle, WA 98138-1070. These donations will be offered to area charities supported by Mr. Turner.

http://www.chrisrobison.net/pages/velvertturner.html

Chris M
04-01-09, 11:48 PM
Yeah, exactly, I got that much, but obviously (I would have thought) I am wondering if there is anything to back this claim up or is it just some bloke off the street? An aquaintance of Janie's maybe?

Let me see if I have this right. You are speculating that Velvert Turner didn't really know Jimi but was an aquaintance of Janie so she planted him in documentaries? Is that right?

RobWats67
04-02-09, 03:09 AM
Velvert met Jimi in New York when he was younger. He later had a group of his own, the Velvert Turner Group. They had one album out.

dino77
04-02-09, 04:15 AM
Yeah, it seems pretty well established that Turner was a friend of Jimi's.

purple jim
04-02-09, 06:23 AM
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/2796/515b5zjkdylsl500aa240.jpg (http://img22.imageshack.us/my.php?image=515b5zjkdylsl500aa240.jpg)

Has anyone heard this album ?

dino77
04-02-09, 06:46 AM
Yep.
His singing is very similar to Jimi's. One track from this album circulated as an Hendrix outtake some years ago, "3 o'clock train".

Olvator
04-02-09, 07:13 AM
listen to some of his stuff here....sounds very much like late Jimi IMHO

http://www.myspace.com/velvertturnergroup

bbagm
04-02-09, 10:22 AM

"'Xcuse Me Gentlemen The Fall" certainly owes a little something to "Message To Love".

nocturnalnh
04-02-09, 11:43 AM
Many people claim Jimi gave them a strat, doesn't neccessarily mean that he did though, eh?

It might have been in a guitar mag, it seemed well documented that it was indeed one of Jimi's Strats - think it was a 'burst.... wish I could find the article...

stplsd
04-02-09, 01:01 PM
Let me see if I have this right. You are speculating that Velvert Turner didn't really know Jimi but was an aquaintance of Janie so she planted him in documentaries? Is that right?

No. As most stuff on Hendrix is stuffed full of bull, I'm suggesting that it's no use just asserting something without qualification as this may lead to this or any other suspicion that what or who is being represented is not valid. And in the case of these documentaries it's extremely crass.

I did a little search and posted an article on him, see above.

Do you have any verifiable (ie not just an assertion by yourself. details of something published, recorded, or a photo) info you would like to share with us?

stplsd
04-02-09, 01:05 PM
Velvert met Jimi in New York when he was younger. He later had a group of his own, the Velvert Turner Group. They had one album out.

Yes, but according to who, when & where etc.? No ones's come up with anything yet apart from Lloyd from Television.

purple jim
04-02-09, 03:25 PM

Thanks for the link Olvator. The songs are pretty awful. However I quite like the texture of his guitar playing and the vocals remind me of Defunkt.

stplsd
04-02-09, 04:16 PM

Sounds very like Mountain in places too IMHO.

Interestingly this site only says:
"Turner claimed to be both friend & protege of the late great Jimi Hendrix."

RobbieRadio
04-02-09, 07:27 PM
Aug 15 2007 6:41 AM

Hey, I can't thank you enough for honoring Velvert.This is Prescott Niles of The Knack, who not only played with Velvert well before the album was done, but also had the thrill of a lifetime to have met Jimi Hendrix with Velvert at least four times, and also to see Jimi in concert with the Band of Gypsies at Fillmore,as well as the Woodstock performance.All this was possible through Velvert,who Jimi knew, respected, and believed in as a talent. He tried to help our group which we called Crossfire (back then) and gave a guitar,amp,and some cash to help us get on track. Velvert was indeed a friend of Jimi's, as well as my best friend from 1968 till his all too soon and tragic departure. I still miss him and am thankful that the
album is gaining interest and attention inEurope as well as
America...Thanks again for starting a My Space for Velvert, and as
a result, for me as well..
PRESCOTT NILES

Roland Stone
04-02-09, 11:47 PM
I also knew Velvert Turner. He even sat in with my band back around '72 or '73. There weren't a whole lot of Hendrix soundalikes back then, so it was pretty unusual to find a young black guy playing Jimi's "Hear My Train" style.

stplsd
04-03-09, 01:40 AM

Hey, I can't thank you enough for honoring Velvert.This is Prescott Niles of The Knack, PRESCOTT NILES

Interesting, Bruce Gary of the Knack was the drummer that A Douglas used to overdub drum tracks replacing the originals for his controversial Voodoo Soup release sessions. He was also the "producer" for several other Hendrix releases by Douglas.

stplsd
04-03-09, 01:58 AM
Interestingly on Rhino records, some more news on the Douglas crew:
http://www.rhino.com/features/liners/75595lin6.lasso

Tony Bongiovi. Bongiovi, second cousin to Jon Bon Jovi, had been a Motown engineer, hired in his teens when he called Detroit and convinced the studio staff he'd analyzed their key engineering secrets by ear. "I was the first to leave Detroit and be successful" as an independent producer, he says proudly.
Bongiovi was joined at New York's Media Sound by trombone player and arranger Meco Monardo (among his credits: Tommy James' "Crimson And Clover," his own disco adaptation of the music from Star Wars, and coproduction of Kenny G's debut) and business manager Jay Ellis, forming DCA Productions--or, "Disco Corporation of America." Their pop/R&B sound was orchestral in the Philly way but also fast and hard-edged in the Motown style. They added a distinctly New York showbizzy tone by using Broadway arrangers like Harold Wheeler. Pioneer remixer/producer Tom Moulton describes the elements of the New York disco sound as "very up, very energetic. It's like traffic, fast with sudden jerks, and the lights changing quickly. You could walk down the street to those records in New York. But anywhere else, you'd have to run."
On seminal tracks like "Never Can Say Goodbye" and Carol Douglas' "Doctor's Orders," Monardo says he could tell that the sessions were clicking when the quick-thinking musicians "stopped looking at the (sheet) music and started looking at each other and smiling." At that point, the licks from the guitar posse of Lance Quinn, Jerry Friedman, and Jeff Miranov would be flying fast. Friedman invented a style of playing on a single muffled note, described by Meco as "bubble" guitar, that made his axe a percussion instrument. "Nobody was smarter than Meco in a session," recalls drummer Alan Schwartzberg. "He was scientific in his approach, but with great musicality."
Schwartzberg, who played for everyone from Stan Getz to Judy Collins and James Brown--sometimes all in one day--pays tribute clearly to the trendsetting work of MFSB drummer Earl Young in such up-tempo Philly classics as Harold Melvin And The Blue Notes' "The Love I Lost." But Schwartzberg got most of the notice for developing disco's characteristic sound: a driving, open, high-hat cymbal. He often fielded calls from producers and drummers for step-by-step instructions in disco technique: "It sounds like it's just 'shh, shh,' but you're actually playing (the cymbal) double-time and opening the high-hat on the 'and,'" he explained to them.
Another key man in this rhythm section who particularly validates disco's R&B roots was bassist Bob Babbitt, heard on such Motown classics as "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours" and "Ball Of Confusion (That's What The World Is Today)." Post-Motown, he played the longest bass solo in Top 40 history in Dennis Coffey's "Scorpio,"

stplsd
04-03-09, 02:11 AM
From Chris Robinson's site:

"And Velvert told me the story why [Tom Wilson "jumped at the chance to record Velvert"]: During a break in their 1966 American tour, the Animals bass player Chas Chandler caught Jimi's act at a club and was blown away! He called the Animals producer Tom Wilson (also produced Bob Dylan, Simon and Garfunkel).... "TOM! there's this UNBELIEVABLE guitar player you GOTTA sign him! He can play ANYTHING! He can even play guitar with his TEETH!!" "Chas, I am in the MUSIC business, not the CARNIVAL business--I ain't gonna go see some fool play guitar with his GODDAMM TEETH!!!"...... Well alright, then; Chas took Jimi back to England with him at the end of the Animals' tour---and the rest is you know what."

stplsd
04-03-09, 02:14 AM
Obituary:
http://www.nytimes.com/2000/12/18/classified/paid-notice-deaths-turner-velvert.html

stplsd
04-03-09, 02:37 AM
Interesting, Tim McGovern the drummer with the Velvert Turner Group is also credited with playing some drums on Randy California's Kapt Kopter LP released in 1972, as was the VTG LP. I see it mentioned on a download site that Prescott Niles contributed to the KK LP, but this is a definite maybe as he's not credited on the KK site I looked at

scoutship
04-04-09, 06:31 PM
As most stuff on Hendrix is stuffed full of bull

Twice over and then some. What some people won't think up for money, or to see their name in print.

And so many people who did have a role then quite inflated it after 9-18.

Anyone else pick up VT's guitar instructional I wonder?

TwistedLogic
04-05-09, 05:35 AM
If it wasn't for the album cover on 1st page I would have never realized that Velvert Turner was that guy on the Electric Ladyland and Band of Gypsys documentaries.

It's not a big surprise to me that most of the people who appear in Classic Albums:Electric Ladyland documentary are dead, it is produced back in 1994/1995.

stplsd
04-05-09, 06:37 AM
So we have an Lp which sounds a bit "Hendrixy" that came out in 1972, with a drummer who had played on some of Kapt Kopter, the bass player from this group's very late testimony claiming he new Jimi well, a friend - the guy from Television - who very late says it's true and Janie Hendrix' "adoption" of him for her videos. Anything else?

souldoggie
04-05-09, 06:54 AM
It's great, all of this talk about Velvert Turner motivated me to dig out his LP. I'd forgotten that there were so many Hendrix reference's on this thing. The scan below shows the back cover and if that photo isn't a riff off of Jimi's "Are You Experienced" LP cover (US release) I don't know what is. Photo taken by Ed Caraeff, no less. Also scanned are the back cover LP lower corners showing tracks with titles like"3 O’Clock Train", "the fall of Atlantis" and "Love Rides....The Slow Swirling Seas" ....sounds like "...Moon Turn The Tides" to me, LOL. Plus you get his cover of "Freedom", (Hendrix) a tribute by V. Turner". The LP recorded at the Record Plant in New York and LA.
And stplsd mentioned Tony Bongiovi in this thread. I'm not kidding, I met that guy, it was a total fluke. About four years ago I was in an upscale bar in Naples, Florida, visiting my parents and next to me at the bar is this guy who starts talking about all this music stuff. The fellow just didn't look that impressive to me, but then again, I think was drunker then he was. And then he tells me he is Tony Bongiovi and he's got this new production company and he was going to have all of these hits. Then he starts telling me about all of these Hendrix sessions he did in New York and now I'm really wishing I had a tape recorder because I knew I wouldn't remember any details as I was pretty loaded. Then he pulled out his wallet and showed me his original Motown business card with his name on it, which really looked cool. It was from 1966 I believe and I asked him for it and he said something like "forget it, no way". Then he gave me his current business card which I just spent 30 minutes looking for so that I could scan it and show everybody but I can't find it. Urghh.
http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww136/souldoggie/DSC01161-1.jpg

souldoggie
04-05-09, 06:55 AM
http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww136/souldoggie/DSC01162.jpg

souldoggie
04-05-09, 06:56 AM
http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww136/souldoggie/DSC01164.jpg

stplsd
04-05-09, 08:29 AM
Interesting story. Is Velverts Freedom any good?

manfree
04-05-09, 09:47 AM
Slightly off topic, but as far as Tribute Songs for Jimi, I believe "Song for a Dreamer" by Procol Harum on Broken Barricades was Robin Trower`s tribute to Jimi. I think it even had - for JH - in brackets after the title and was a suitably echo drenched spacey tune about meeting at the bottom of the sea. Well worth checking out

DevilsAvocado
04-05-09, 12:12 PM
Slightly off topic, but as far as Tribute Songs for Jimi, I believe "Song for a Dreamer" by Procol Harum on Broken Barricades was Robin Trower`s tribute to Jimi. I think it even had - for JH - in brackets after the title and was a suitably echo drenched spacey tune about meeting at the bottom of the sea. Well worth checking out

I wouldn't know about the "For JH" dedication, but yes, Trower wrote that song for (maybe even about?) Jimi.

DevilsAvocado
04-05-09, 12:13 PM
Interesting story. Is Velverts Freedom any good?

Not that i recall. I have the CD somewhere. Don't remember the album as anything special.

manfree
04-05-09, 03:09 PM
It`s available as MP3 on Time- has- told -me blogspot.com if you want to hear it, its actually all over the net, just google images.

stplsd
04-12-09, 04:33 AM
So, what do we have? Velvert Turner previously unheard of brings out an LP (not very good - I'm being charitable here) in 1972 which sounds a bit Hendrixy and he claims to have known Hendrix. The only support for this appears to be the drummer in the band. and the guitar player with Television in a very late interview. He is employed by Janie around 2000? makes two comments about Electric Ladyland in a video which are immediately completely contradicted by those who were there at the time - Dave Mason & Eddie Kramer, claims that Jimi told him House Burning Down was influenced by the Watts riots in 1965, when it is far more likely it was the Washington DC riots following the murder of Martin Luther King on April 4 1968, with 16 deaths most due to burning homes- “Why do you burn your brother’s house down?” and great destruction, some 1,200 buildings were burned, including over 900 stores. This was on television and would have been fresh on his mind.The army's occupation of Washington was the largest of any American city since the Civil War. If he knew him it was surely only something of a minor aquaintance.

Socram
04-21-09, 11:04 AM
Something I didn´t know: according to an old post on Hellride (http://www.hellridemusic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12147), it is said that exists two versions of his only album: one "rock" and one "soul" - I only own the radioactive CD, called the "rock" version...

stplsd
04-21-09, 08:06 PM
So it says, but is it true? sounds a bit dodgy to me, it's a pretty boring album anyway

Vibratory
04-22-09, 08:59 AM

Hey, I can't thank you enough for honoring Velvert.This is Prescott Niles of The Knack, who not only played with Velvert well before the album was done, but also had the thrill of a lifetime to have met Jimi Hendrix with Velvert at least four times, and also to see Jimi in concert with the Band of Gypsies at Fillmore,as well as the Woodstock performance.All this was possible through Velvert,who Jimi knew, respected, and believed in as a talent. He tried to help our group which we called Crossfire (back then) and gave a guitar,amp,and some cash to help us get on track. Velvert was indeed a friend of Jimi's, as well as my best friend from 1968 till his all too soon and tragic departure. I still miss him and am thankful that the
album is gaining interest and attention inEurope as well as
America...Thanks again for starting a My Space for Velvert, and as
a result, for me as well..
PRESCOTT NILES

Hi Prescott

How are you? Interesting to hear Jimi cared for 'struggling-musicians' I never heard anyone about this. Do you have any anecdotes or how these things came about. Just out of interest you do not need to 'prove' anything. I thought would be nice to shed some light on this side of Hendrix rarely talked about.

thanks take care!
pat

stplsd
04-22-09, 04:49 PM
Yeah, no probs, fire away

Nonhuman
04-22-09, 11:08 PM
Velvert Turner plays "Going Home" on the "Power Of Soul Tribute To Hendrix" CD 2004 on the Image Entertainment label.

Edited to add:

I checked out the disc to discover that "Going Home" is merely 43 seconds long. How very odd.

Nonhuman
04-22-09, 11:29 PM
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/2796/515b5zjkdylsl500aa240.jpg (http://img22.imageshack.us/my.php?image=515b5zjkdylsl500aa240.jpg)

Has anyone heard this album ?

I saw a vinyl rip of this on the Orexis Of Death blog original post 2007 and the link still works today. Looks like the same songs as the other vinyl shown in this forum. However the Orexis blog discusses different mixes and versions per different vinyl label releases:

26 Сентябрь 2007 г.

VELVERT TURNER GROUP – VELVERT TURNER GROUP – 1972 (US) heavy psych (http://orexisofdeath.blogspot.com/2007/09/velvet-turner-group-velvet-turner-group.html)

Generally cool hard guitar funkpsychrock from "close friend" of Jimi Hendrix, who if nothing else shows an impressive grasp of Jimi's best moves on this album. Although 100% derivative it still works, as the songwriting, vocals and guitar leads are fine and the sharp groove of Turner's power trio (plus assorted guests on keyboard) stands up to any comparison. Fine recording with a tight in yer face sound is another bonus. The Experience influence means unusual traces of 1967 Swinging London such as highpitched mod harmonies on this 1972 NYC trip. One weird, silly track with singalong kiddy vocals sort of sticks out, though it too has soaring acid leads. Apart from the originals the LP includes a cover of Jimi's "Freedom", and should appeal to fans of Next Morning. Just like Del Jones there are two different mixes of this LP, a Rock Mix with lots of guitar and a Soul Mix with less guitar. A German pressing of the rock mix on Philips exists. The Radioactive reissues are of the rock mix. There is also a rare third version on the infamous Tiger Lily label, with (again) a different mix and a good track not on the Family label releases at all.

Velvet Turner - guitar/vocals
Prescott Niles - bass
Tim McGovern - drums

stplsd
04-24-09, 01:35 PM
It's only slight interest I can see is that the guy was possibly a minor aquaintance of Jimi's. From his (waste of time) comments in 'The Making of Electric Ladyland' both immediately contradicted by Kramer & Dave Mason in the same video, Jimi's own comments and the other available evidence. Also his "racist" comments about the kazoo being a "hee-haw" "hill-billy" instrument, when it was actually used previously in unison with his guitar by the celebrated blues 'guitar wizard' Tampa Red who Jimi had surely heard of.

Nonhuman
04-24-09, 04:20 PM
"Hillbilly" isn't a race.

Nonhuman

stplsd
04-24-09, 05:56 PM
Of course it's a racist comment, he's making it very clear he ain't talkin about "black" folk, 'Hee-haw' is the name of a long running corny "white" "hillbilly" show hence the "joke" There is only one race - the human race. If you star to divide people by percieved physical group types that makes you racist, as you are inventing "racial" differences.

Nonhuman
04-24-09, 10:17 PM
I'm a colorblind proud hillbilly with African-American and Caucasian family members. I've always enjoyed Hee-Haw and particularily enjoy celebrating and chuckling at my backwoods simple cultural attributes. Isn't it funny the differences two people can perceive in what is supposed to be important?

Have a very nice evening, and a wonderful day tomorrow. We finally got some beautiful weather here and I've got a backhoe to play with for three whole days! It's good to be a woodchuck.

Nonhuman

stplsd
04-25-09, 12:55 AM
^
whatever that means?

Midwood
09-26-10, 01:07 PM
I knew Velvert. We were friends at Midwood HS in Brooklyn. In our earliest days there Velvert would wear suits and ties like the Fourt Tops and the Temps. He was a "styler." I accompanied Velvert to see Jimi Hendrix at the Fillmore East on May 10, 1968. Sly and the Family Stone was the warm up act. The crowd complained that the volume was too high! They shouted: "Move over let Jimi taker over!"
It was Velvert's first encounter with Jimi. After the show Velvert didn't want to leave. We left him at the Fillmore. I think that he stayed for the 11:30 show. It was a Friday.
Monday rolled around and Velvert didn't show up at school. He didn't return for days, maybe weeks. During study halls and between classes our group of friends used to hang out in a music lounge in the school. One day Velvert walked in. He wasn't wearing a shark skin suit and skinny tie anymore. He was wearing Jimi Hendrix's hat, shirt, vest and pants. He said: "Jimi gave them to me." At first we teased that he had clearly ripped them off...but he was adamant. "Jimi is my friend. I met him backstage. He is completely cool. A really nice guy. I'm hangin' out with him at Les Paul's Scene."
Over time we came to accept the fact that Velvert was indeed a friend of Jimi's. I'm not sure if he graduated from Midwood. I do know that he traveled extensively with Hendrix. Hendrix taught him to play in hotel rooms using mirrors to compensate for their differing hand dominance. Looking back it seems that Velvert lived pretty hard. His obit says that he had returned to Brooklyn to work with an alcohol and drug rehab program. He died of liver disease.
He was a gentle soul. If you listen to his instructional DVDs you will also learn that he was a gifted musician who not only played well but understood the musical theory that was the underpinning of the music. I'm sorry that we didn't keep in touch. I didn't lose a friend that night at the Fillmore, but I only got to watch him from afar ever since that fateful night.

MourningStar
09-26-10, 01:41 PM
I knew Velvert. ...cool! Thnx for sharing. Would make a nice addition to the 'next' Hendrix bio. Hope you're contacted.

MourningStar
09-26-10, 04:00 PM
V... Whoever recently posted that he was "possibly" a minor acquaintance of Jimi is incorrect.'whoever' indeed ...

ilovejimi
09-26-10, 05:55 PM
stillgoing1Velvert's voice imitation of Jimi's voice was spot on-- he would have been perfect for doing the Narration of Jimi in WCSB (but saddly he passed nearly 10 years ago)

Ever since his death in 1970, Jimi Hendrix (http://crosstowntorrents.org/topic/jimi-hendrix) has certainly had his share of guitarists who thoroughly studied him -- some would say even copied him -- to a tee. One such gentleman would be Velvert Turner, who fronted the Velvert Turner Group. But there is an interesting reason why Turner resembled the self-proclaimed "Voodoo Child" -- not only was he supposedly friends with Hendrix, but allegedly, Hendrix took the guitarist under his wing, and taught him quite a few tricks on the six-string.

Born on October 12, 1951 and raised in Brooklyn, NY, Turner befriended Hendrix during the mid- to late '60s -- and Turner would show what Hendrix was teaching him to another guitarist friend of his, future Television (http://crosstowntorrents.org/topic/television-band) member Richard Lloyd (http://crosstowntorrents.org/topic/richard-lloyd-guitarist). After Hendrix's passing, Turner formed the Velvert Turner Group, with bassist Prescott Niles, keyboardist Christopher Robinson, and drummer Tim McGovern, and in 1972, issued a self-titled debut album. Highly derivative of his mentor -- both musically and even in the song titles, as evidenced by "Madonna (Of the Seven Moons)," "'Xcuse Me, Gentlemen (The Fall of Atlantis)," and "(Love Rides)...

The Slowly Swirling Seas." Heck, there was even a cover of a Hendrix tune, "Freedom," that closed the album. Although the album didn't set the charts alight, it has become a sought-after cult item amongst Hendrix fanatics over the years.

And that was all that many heard from Velvert, although he did appear on a self-titled release by Arthur Lee (http://crosstowntorrents.org/topic/arthur-lee-musician) in 1977, and in the mid-'80s, was involved in a Jimi Hendrix (http://crosstowntorrents.org/topic/jimi-hendrix) instructional guitar video, which strangely, only featured Turner narrating it and not showing the viewer the tricks of the trade that Hendrix had taught him (the guitar parts are played by Andy Aledort). Subsequently, the other members of the Velvert Turner Group would reappear in the Knack (Niles), the Motels (http://crosstowntorrents.org/topic/the-motels) (McGovern), and the New York Dolls (Robinson).

Sadly, on December 11, 2000, it was reported in the New York Times that Turner had passed away at his Brooklyn home. In the article, fans learned that in recent years Turner had been employed by Samaritan Village in Brooklyn, where he worked with those battling substance addiction. Four years after his passing, a snippet of Turner playing some Hendrixian guitar, titled "Going Home," was included on the star-studded tribute, Power of Soul: A Tribute to Jimi Hendrix (http://crosstowntorrents.org/topic/power-of-soul-a-tribute-to-jimi-hendrix). In 2009, Turner's old friend, Lloyd (http://crosstowntorrents.org/topic/lloyd-singer), recorded an album of Hendrix covers, titled The Jamie Neverts Story, whose title came from a code name that Turner and Lloyd (http://crosstowntorrents.org/topic/lloyd-singer) used for Hendrix, when they would go visit him (to keep their visits "secret" from kids in the neighborhood). The album was also dedicated to Turner, and features altered album covert art based on Turner's Velvert Turner Group (http://crosstowntorrents.org/topic/velvert-turner-group-rock-album) from over three decades prior. ~ Greg Prato, Rovi

Roland Stone
09-26-10, 08:04 PM
I met Velvert in the early 70's when he somehow got involved in the soundtrack for the Hal Jepsen surf movie "A Sea For Yourself". My high school band, "The Bozone" was also brought into that film soundtrack by drummer/producer Dennis Dragon as were several other local groups. We all recorded at Dragon's "Haywire Studios" in Carbon Canyon, Malibu and there was quite a bit of cross-pollination as musicians from different groups would lay tracks on each others recordings. Those were heady days and good times were had by all!

Thus did Velvert come to lay some guitar tracks on a couple of my compositions. The movie soundtrack eventually became a double lp, but Velvert's group was not included on the lp. As I recall he had his own lp coming out and didn't want the soundtrack to compete. I'd have to go back and watch the movie again to see if any of the tracks he overdubbed on my tunes made the final cut.

Velvert's group did play at the Santa Monica Civic when several of the bands, including "The Bozone", played in conjunction with the film's debut. If I remember correctly Velvert played "Hear My Train Comin'" at that show and was very much into the "loud and heavy" vein of Jimi's style.

bandit
09-27-10, 03:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3igEZ1EP_b4
The Bozone - Stone Crazy. From Classic surfing movie " A Sea For Yourself"

Roland Stone
09-27-10, 07:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3igEZ1EP_b4
The Bozone - Stone Crazy. From Classic surfing movie " A Sea For Yourself"'

Hey thanks for the link! I didn't even know that was on YouTube! Featuring Daryl Dragon, "The Captain" from the Captain & Tennille on Moog! Quite a departure from "Muskrat Love"! But Tennille herself would also eventually step out from the Easy Listening genre as a featured background vocalist on Pink Floyd's "The Wall".