PDA

View Full Version : Frank Zappa on Jimi writing

stplsd
04-03-09, 05:00 AM
"Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read."

This should be borne in mind when reading anything on Hendrix and questions asked of the sources: accuracy; motives; egos; attitudes; self promotion; promotion of friends; promotion of business etc. If this is applied 90% will be found severely lacking.

Most books appear to be merely a string of very late interviews, joined together with information from old magazines etc. which have been almost totally submerged into the author's writing making it almost impossible to tell if we are reading the authors point of view (spin)/ exaggeration / sensationalist interpretation (sometimes with spurious added detail) or what the interviewee/article actually said. Often the interviews appear to be from earlier publications and are not actually new "information". Much of the interview material has to be also taken with a large pinch of salt.

purple jim
04-03-09, 06:05 AM
The best books for me are those by Charles Shaar Murray and Keith Shadwick. That said, I haven't read those by Steve Roby or Caesar Glebeek !

scoutship
04-12-09, 05:54 PM
The best books for me are those by Charles Shaar Murray and Keith Shadwick.

You did know that Shadwick died last summer? Cancer.

purple jim
04-13-09, 02:29 AM
Yes, I read that. Every Hendrix fan should get hold of a copy of his book.