PDA

View Full Version : Sharon Lawrence - mystery woman

stplsd
04-10-09, 10:43 AM
Anyone know anything about her articles by her , photo?

Lawrence talking about her Jimi book:
"I . . . also captured many [of our] conversations on tape. Also, I have my journals from that time where, since he was a part of my circle of friends, there are a lot passages about him."

Would be nice to see/hear them (if they exist)

BURTCOBAIN
04-10-09, 12:04 PM
i had a good trawl thru her book and found it a lot more honest and believable than some ov the other stuff we've bought over the years . .and as a footnote (without getting all paranoid and up my arse about things ). .i was thinking ov opening up a conversation on here about the events surrounding Jimi's death . .and in particular with the notion i hold that Ms Danneman had a lot more to do with it than just simply popping out for cigarettes and panicking about drugs being left about the place . .ie, if the police turned up etc . .it always puzzled me that she commited suicide after the last rounds ov battle with K Etchingham . .i have my own theorys on things . .anyone interested ??

purple jim
04-10-09, 12:55 PM
I think she comitted suicide because she was already completely bonkers and because the judge threw out everything that she claimes to stand for. Her twisted mind couldn't take the humiliation.

BURTCOBAIN
04-10-09, 02:23 PM
I think she comitted suicide because she was already completely bonkers and because the judge threw out everything that she claimes to stand for. Her twisted mind couldn't take the humiliation.

i agree on what you say, but ive always held a believe that Jimi's actual death on the day/night in question was more to do with her attitude and feelings ov jealousy, all that proclamation about Jimi wanting her to be his artist/photographer etc etc . .why all the false claims and embelleshing ov her closeness . .its never sounded right to me, plus his actual physical state and the conditions they found him in . .i think maybe she felt genuinly disturbed by the actual truth ov what happened that morning . .this can also be a guiding factor in someones contemplation in suicide . .i have listened to the radio doc' Wink Of An Eye a few times since being broadcast back in the 90's . .and its the nearest anyones come to shedding light on the whole sad episode . .pardon my awful typos . .anyone else got any theorys ??

aziboy
04-10-09, 02:58 PM
i agree on what you say, but ive always held a believe that Jimi's actual death on the day/night in question was more to do with her attitude and feelings ov jealousy, all that proclamation about Jimi wanting her to be his artist/photographer etc etc . .why all the false claims and embelleshing ov her closeness . .its never sounded right to me, plus his actual physical state and the conditions they found him in . .i think maybe she felt genuinly disturbed by the actual truth ov what happened that morning . .this can also be a guiding factor in someones contemplation in suicide . .i have listened to the radio doc' Wink Of An Eye a few times since being broadcast back in the 90's . .and its the nearest anyones come to shedding light on the whole sad episode . .pardon my awful typos . .anyone else got any theorys ??

At the time, I felt that the amount of sleeping pills could have been crushed and given to jimi without his knowledge. He did not seem the type of guy who would take too many on purpose. Just a theory.

purple jim
04-10-09, 05:26 PM
I recently read Noel's book and he talked of a meeting with Monica at his house. Mitch and Kathy were there also. Monica told them what had happened that night and she said that SHE had given Jimi the extra sleeping pills. This fact seemed to have disappeared from later accounts.

copifunk
04-10-09, 07:08 PM
^keep on pushin Strate Ahead Guys.;-)
I Would love to know ALL there is to know...38 years is a Damn long time to not have a Clear answer to ALL the facts surrounding our man's Passing..

stplsd
04-10-09, 07:37 PM
^
Although according to her testimony she did not see him take the barbiturates, Monika's estimate as to how many pills he took was unquestioned, and as she has been later shown to be an unreliable witness, the amount of barbiturates in his sytem can only be judged by what the autopsy found, was it enough to kill someone? has anyone seen the autopsy? is it available?
Interesting to note that Brian Epstein and Jimi had the same coroner - Gavin Thurston, and the same pathologist -Donald Teare who performed the autopsy. It is of note that the coroner did not record an estimated time of death. Is there an estimate in the autopsy? He only appears to have questioned Monika and Gerry Stickell's very briefly and accepted at first hand what they said. The Coroner's report states that the inhalation of vomit (basically drowned in red wine according to the testimony of the doctor who first attended to him) killed him not the barbiturates. Can the blood alcohol/barbiturate level be reasonably accurately judged after the length of time Jimi appears to have been dead?

BURTCOBAIN
04-10-09, 09:10 PM
to put it bluntly folks . .i think Danneman had a direct involvment in Jimi's death . .it all points that way, all the stuff about Mike Jeffreys having Jimi snuffed out dos'nt hold water either, if this was a murder case involving people who wer'nt famous etc etc . .then the clues and motivation would be a lot clearer . .i think she realised Jimi was a free spirited guy with his lovelife and she was too possesive to even contemplate acceptance of his lifestyle . .i think she spiked his drink, then drowned him in wine when he was unconcious . .made to look like an 'accident' or otherwise, all that crap about Jimi telling her things she should do if anything happens to him . .to me its pretty black and white what went on, but of course back then investigations and procedures ar'nt as sophisticated as how things are in this day and age . .then . .years later she killed herself because she knew the real truth about what happened and could'nt face it anymore, you don't just kill yourself cos a judge says your a liar. .jealous partners ???this sort ov thing happens all the time the world over, the big difference being it was Jimi Hendrix and all that went with who he had become . .i've spoken to many people over the years in and around the music biz' about his death . .and like a lot people it still upsets me that he is not here . .i guess the debate will go on for a few years yet . .the only other case that i see any similarities is the Kurt Cobain story . .but that is another story for now i'm sure . .nice to get a bit ov feedback . .thanks guys.

ilovejimi
04-10-09, 09:21 PM
to put it bluntly folks . .i think Danneman had a direct involvment in Jimi's death . .it all points that way, all the stuff about Mike Jeffreys having Jimi snuffed out dos'nt hold water either, if this was a murder case involving people who wer'nt famous etc etc . ..
well said- I agree:wave: WHY in the hell would Jeffery kill off his cash cow. If Jeffery was as evil as he's made out to be-- then I would have expected Jeffery to get Jimi to finish all his albums before snuffing him out- even then, it makes no logical sence to kill off the ultimate bread winner. Monica was nuts and basically kidnapped jimi by druging him (he probally told her, she was one crazy bitch and he was leaving - so she had to come up with a way to keep him for herself with pills (IMO)- she over did it- couldnt wake him up and tried to revive him by pouring wine down his throat- chocking him and thus doing him in. I think Eric Burdon came over that morning and helped Monica clean up and stage the sceen-- she probally panicked and had to think of how to cover her ass. It would be nice to have had a time of death. I wish Scottland yard would have not dismissed the need to reinvestate his death in '92.:minipersonen065:

ilovejimi
04-10-09, 09:43 PM
I recently read Noel's book and he talked of a meeting with Monica at his house. Mitch and Kathy were there also. Monica told them what had happened that night and she said that SHE had given Jimi the extra sleeping pills. This fact seemed to have disappeared from later accounts.
is there a source for this account?-- sounds like Monica was dancing around with a confession.:minipersonen065:

purple jim
04-11-09, 02:14 AM
Sorry, it was in Kathy Etchingham's book in fact, page 175. The meeting took place at Kathy's house in 1981
"She told how…she gave him some of her German sleeping pills (Vesperex).
When they didn't work she gave him some more because 'they were very weak'. She said she thought he had taken nine of the tablets in all."
Monika claimed that she was in the ambulance and saw Jimi being sat upright. She said that the doctors ignored him because he was black and that the doctor was an incompetant racist.
Hey, we are well off subject here.

scoutship
04-11-09, 03:12 AM
Anyone know anything about her articles by her , photo?

Lawrence talking about her Jimi book:
"I . . . also captured many [of our] conversations on tape. Also, I have my journals from that time where, since he was a part of my circle of friends, there are a lot passages about him."

Would be nice to see/hear them (if they exist)

She has claimed to've have destroyed them (tapes that is, don't know about the journals)...IF they ever existed in the first place...doubtful...reason given, To prevent financial exploitation of them should they wind up in wrong hands, lol.

Her book has factual errors, stuff easy to've checked (can anyone here point them out, I know this was delved into in some depth on another board at least once).

Couple few years back she put some empty packs of cigs "actually smoked by Jimi Hendrix" words to that effect, up for auction on eBay. See above, preventing exploitation cite ;)

Most sources who know much about it do agree the final third of the book about EH is quite accurate and the best (only?) researched segment.

She was threatened with a lawsuit by Chalpin (for one, may have been others), hence the change in title for the paperback edition.

In addition to her reportage for the syndicate she also wrote & published a book, now out of print afaik.

Hope any of that is of help.

cleanuponaisle76
04-11-09, 03:19 AM
well, if you really want to get into why Jeffreys would want to have his cash cow killed, you have to consider a few things.

Michael Jeffreys contract on Jimi was up for renewal before end of 1970, not long after Jimi's death. along with the fact that Jimi was going to terminate him, Mike also had to worry about the courts investigating his illegal activities, such as his tax shelter, at least I would assume.
remember that how much unreleased music Jimi had. Mike knew this.

now, if he has Jimi killed, not only does it keep him from being terminated (thereby claiming ownership), but he also benefits from a 2.5 million death insurance policy over Jimi.

this policy can only exist in the case of accidental death...hence the cover up. we know that Jimi had a very low blood alc. content, with almost a gallon of wine in his lungs. this makes sense, because it didn't go down, so he much have been laying down, and also, this happened in a short amount of time, as the alc. hadn't even been digested as it would if he voluntarily consumed it.

so before you consider the why's and who's of his death, just look at the basics. you know it wasn't an accident. you also know that the people with him had a reason to lie about his death time by over 6 hours. there's a lot of variables here.

copifunk
04-11-09, 04:45 AM
Please keep going Guys...

Personally I think whatever happened that morning...She was there to see it all go down and she took her own life to essentially take the secret to the grave with her...
Eric burdon always stikes me as "kinda odd" as well whenever he discusses Jimi...and his death...

I've read that on his deathbed he's supposed to let the "TRUTH"about Jimi's death come out...What's that About...?!?!
Keep On Pushin Guys !!!!!!! More More !!!

stplsd
04-11-09, 05:00 AM
^
Eric Burdon has never come clean about what really happened, constantly fudging & ducking.

BURTCOBAIN
04-11-09, 06:05 AM
woke up this morning . .etc etc . .and have just read the latest entries in our discussion . .enlightening comments and interesting thoughts, i'm glad people still feel passionate and caring enough to discuss this subject with honesty and candour . .i also skitted thru Sharon Lawrence's book last night till the early hours, and yes i now agree after a 3rd read it does seem potted with inconsistancies and fabrications . .lets face it what books ov this nature don't have such material dropped in here and there ?. .if i had in my possesion tapes ov conversations with Jimi . .i think by now i'd ov released them . .i do feel there is a slight bit ov 'doing a Monika' with such statements within her text . .opinions mixed with facts usually distort the truth to good affect . .i am going to study at close quarters Monika's rather fancy edition tonight . .but in my heart and gut feelings . .it will be almost impossible to desaude me from thinking that this bright young man was finally realising what was really going on . .as i mentioned before the similarities with the Kurt Cobain case are uncannily similar . .Kurt wanted out ov the music biz and also wanted a divorce . .guess what happened next folks ??
A tent overhanging a mountain stream ?? boy i wish Jimi had been given the chance to do just that . .some time off to recharge his spirit and return with what would have been his best album to date . .the story of life eh . .xx

stplsd
04-11-09, 06:24 AM
well, if you really want to get into why Jeffreys would want to have his cash cow killed, you have to consider a few things.

1. Let's not just jump straight into unfounded statements, let's weigh up the evidence. So, please can you clear up these questions with direct quotes to interviews, articles etc. so we may all check them out, even better put them up here so we can read them?

>Michael Jeffreys contract on Jimi was up for renewal before end of 1970, not long after Jimi's death.

2. What happened to that contract after Jimi's death, did it just carry on for ever, anyone actually know?

>along with the fact that Jimi was going to terminate him,

3. Please show us your evidence for this bold statement

>Mike also had to worry about the courts investigating his illegal activities, such as his tax shelter. , at least I would assume.

4. Why would he be worrying about courts at this point, if at all and how do you know that he thought that his activities could be proven to be illegal?

>remember that how much unreleased music Jimi had. Mike knew this.
>now, if he has Jimi killed, not only does it keep him from being terminated (thereby claiming ownership),

5. As to the unreleased music it basically had ended under Mikes stewardship with 'Loose Ends'. Rainbow Bridge was more or less owed to Reprise anyway for the money they put up for the Rainbow Bridge "film" So he basically was getting his 30%? (anyone got the correct figure?) of what Jimi earned from these, (What was Jimi's% anyone know?) plus his % on Jimi's publishing royalties (anyone knowthe %?) You think he had Jimi killed to get the proceeds from these LP's? This would have had to have involved Burdon, Bridges, Dannemann and others in his crime don't forget?

>but he also benefits from a 2.5 million death insurance policy over Jimi.
this policy can only exist in the case of accidental death...hence the cover up.

6. Where is the evidence that he had a life insurance policy on Jimi? and if so where's the evidence that he collected?

>we know that Jimi had a very low blood alc. content,

7. Do we know what it was from the autopsy, or from..? What is 'low'

> with almost a gallon

8. where did you get this frankly bizarre amount from?

>of wine in his lungs. this makes sense, because it didn't go down,

9. try getting a gallon of wine straight into your stomach in one go, never mind your lungs!

>so he much have been laying down, and also, this happened in a short amount of time, as the alc. hadn't even been digested as it would if he voluntarily consumed it.

10. how do you get a large quantity of fluid into someone who's lying down?

>so before you consider the why's and who's of his death, just look at the basics.

11. the above basics you've put forward I am looking at now.

>you know it wasn't an accident.

12. what's your evidence that it wasn't an accident, or do you just 'feel' or 'suspect' this?

>you also know that the people with him had a reason to lie about his death time by over 6 hours. there's a lot of variables here.

13. Yes some appear to have lied (made conflicting statements as to when phone calls were made and when they arrived at the flat and what they did ie Burdon & his 'girlfriend' Alvenia Bridges & of course Dannemann) and some have only made vague statements ie the roadies who went to the flat to clean it up etc.. Nice if someone could put up the collected statements by these people, that would be interesting?
What is/was their reasons for not giving a full, honest account? well, unless Burdon or Bridges or other person/s comes clean at some point, we're in the dark. Interesting how Burdon went very quickly to the TV and announced that Jimi had commited suicide, only retracting this much later, only to subsequently hint again that it may have been suicide. As to where his supposed evidence for this - the 'poem' 'Wink of an eye' - came from (I'm not suggesting Jimi didn't write it) we only have his & Dannemann's statements, there appears to have been virtually nothing else of Jimi's in her flat apart from the guitar he left there that he posed with for the photos she took (the day before?) , the retrieval of which may have been his reason for being there at that time in the first place

Excerpt From The Book: Hendrix: The Final Days By Tony Brown:
On arrival Jimi was immediately seen by Dr. John Bannister, a Surgical Registrar, and shortly after by Dr Martin Seifert, the Medical Registrar on duty that day. Dr. Bannister is now an Orthopaedic Surgeon working in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>Australia</st1:place></st1:country-region>.

After reading Harry Shapiro’s Hendrix biography Electric Gypsy, in particular the pages that concerned Jimi’s death, he wrote directly to Shapiro on <st1:date Year="1992" Day="9" Month="1">January 9, 1992</st1:date>. The following is an extract from his letter:

”Some of the statements [about Hendrix’s death] were incorrect. At the time of his death, I was the Surgical Registrar on duty at St. Mary Abbots Hospital. I was called to casualty with one or two other Medical Officers. The ambulance had brought in a patient who was unconscious. He was taken out of the ambulance and wheeled into casualty. We attempted resuscitation and cardiac massage. Continual suction on his pharynx and larynx was performed. “On his admission, he was obviously dead. He had no pulse, no heart beat and the attempt to resuscitate him was merely a formality, an attempt we would perform on any patient in such condition. His mucous membranes in the larynx and pharynx were completely cyanosed and prior to suction there was red wine and gastric contents exuding from his mouth. The very striking memory of this event in my mind was the considerable amount of alcohol in his pharynx and larynx, despite suction,and it was obvious that he had drowned in his own gastric contents. “At the time I was not aware who Jimi Hendrix was, but it was pointed out to me soon after. “I recall vividly the very large amounts of red wine that oozed from his stomach and his lungs, and in my opinion there was no question that Jimi Hendrix had drowned, if not at home then certainly on the way to the hospital. At the time I felt he had either been on sedative tablets, to sleep or otherwise, and that he had imbibed copious amounts of red wine prior to going to sleep. I would suspect that he regurgitated the red wine and drowned. “I note in your book that someone suggested he should have perhaps had a tracheotomy. He would not have responded to such treatment and it was not even a possibility. I would suspect that he had been dead for quite some time before he reached the hospital and there was no indication to proceed to tracheotomy. “I do not believe that he was admitted into hospital and that he was taken to the morgue directly from Casualty. “I can recollect my own feeling at the time ... that it was a tragic loss of a young person to the effects of alcohol. The scene remains extremely vivid in my memory, and I can quite clearly recall the large amounts of red wine causing his hair and clothes to be matted.”

In another interview, conducted by The Tinta newspaper and published on December 18, 1993, Dr. John Bannister gave an even more vivid account of Jimi’s condition:

"Jimi Hendrix had been dead for some time, without a doubt, hours rather than minutes. He didn’t have any pulse. The inside of his mouth and mucous membranes were black because he had been dead for some time. He had had no circulation through his tissues at any time immediately prior to coming to hospital.” Dr. Bannister expressed surprise that accounts of Jimi Hendrix’s death, including the pathologist’s inquest report, had failed to mention that Jimi Hendrix had been drinking ‘masses’ of red wine. “It was coming out of his nose and out of his mouth. It was horrific. The whole scene is very vivid, because you don’t often see people who have drowned in their own red wine. There was red wine all over him, I think that he was naked but he had something around him - whether it was a towel or a jumper - around his neck. That was saturated in red wine. “His hair was matted. He was completely cold. I personally think he probably died a long time before. He was cold and he was blue. He had all the parameters of somebody who had been dead for some time. We worked on him for about half an hour without any response at all. There was a medical registrar, myself, nursing staff and I think one other doctor. I didn’t even know who Jimi Hendrix was. It’s tragic that such a bloke died in those circumstances. The medical staff used an 18 inch metal sucker to try to clear Hendrix’s airway, but it would just fill up with red wine from his stomach.”

Dr. Bannister was also interviewed for the BBC Radio One’s Wink Of An Eye, broadcast on <st1:date Year="1995" Day="10" Month="9">September 10, 1995:</st1:date>

“He did not have an obstruction of the airways. What he had, was that he had a drowning of the airways. His lungs were completely overcome by fluid. One does a tracheotomy to get better access to the trachea and to the airways. But his problems were below that. The body was cold, there were no signs of circulation and my overall impression was that he’d been dead for some hours before.”

It is curious that despite the copious amounts of red wine that Jimi had in his body, his blood alcohol level was low*<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>
. It is also curious that Jimi was covered in so much red wine. Dr. Bannister’s statement that the red wine was matted in his clothes and hair might imply that it had been poured over him and left to dry. He could have been soaked in wine for hours. Monika Dannemann has always stated that Jimi drank only one bottle of white wine with his dinner earlier in the evening. In one of her many interviews, she claimed that Jimi purchased two bottles of wine, one white and one red. She also claimed to have kept the empty red wine bottle.

*I'm not neccessarily disputing this, but can we see the actual source for this please
<o:p></o:p>

The coroner’s report on the death certificate was:
Inhalation of vomit *
Barbiturate intoxication (quinalbarbitone).
Insufficient evidence of circumstances.
Open verdict.’

He certainly wasn't very chatty, I would say that his report itself was "Insufficient evidence of circumstances" leading to death.

stplsd
04-11-09, 06:43 AM
Of course Jimi could easily have sat on the bed drinking the wine until he crashed on the bed, spilled the rest of the wine on the bed next to his head and subsequently rolled over in in it - just looking at another possible scenario.

Also worth noting is that (Alan) Al 'Blind Owl' Wilson founding member of Canned Heat was found dead from barbiturates and alcohol the morning of the day the band left to pay the Berlin '70 Pop festival. Canned Heat decided never the less that the show must go on and played the gig. That was Jimi's second last official gig.

stplsd
04-11-09, 07:35 AM
She has claimed to've have destroyed them (tapes that is, don't know about the journals)...IF they ever existed in the first place...doubtful...reason given, To prevent financial exploitation of them should they wind up in wrong hands, lol.

Couple few years back she put some empty packs of cigs "actually smoked by Jimi Hendrix" words to that effect, up for auction on eBay. See above, preventing exploitation cite ;)

Destroyed her tapes? Well that's a surprise heh-heh.
Yeah, thanks for reminding me about the fag packets, bizarre ha-ha.

bbagm
04-11-09, 08:00 AM

Mike also had to worry about the courts investigating his illegal activities, such as his tax shelter.

You can write that worry off. The whole point of Jeffrey burying the cash in a tax haven was so it couldn't be investigated. The money Jeffrey had stashed away in the Bahamas (and maybe elsewhere) over the years was completely safe.

Even if Hendrix had sacked Jeffrey, Jeffrey would undoubtably have remained a wealthy man on the back of the cash he'd taken whilst managing Hendrix. And don't forget, he was rather wealthy before meeting Hendrix because of his dodgy handling of The Animals finances.

With that in mind it's hard to believe he'd risk killing Hendrix (and getting a life sentence in jail if caught for conspiracy to murder) for a few extra quid that he didn't really need.

And let's be frank. If he was going to take a risk of that size, it's doubtful Jeffrey would have orchestrated a murder that looked like such a messy accidental death. As we've seen in recent years, once the time was taken to speak to the doctors and ambulancemen etc. who dealt with Hendrix, serious questions are raised. Had the death been properly investigated in 1970, those same questions would have leapt out - which would have been the last thing Jeffrey would have wanted had he arranged the murder.

If Jeffrey was going to kill him, I'm damn sure he would have used a method that guaranteed the least possible amount of investigation. I'd argue that drowing someone in red wine doesn't quite fit that criteria.

stplsd
04-11-09, 08:22 AM
Even if Hendrix had sacked Jeffrey, Jeffrey would undoubtably have remained a wealthy man on the back of the cash he'd taken whilst managing Hendrix. And don't forget, he was rather wealthy before meeting Hendrix because of his dodgy handling of The Animals finances.

As well as owning and running some of the top clubs in Newcastle and his Spanish clubs for years etc.

scoutship
04-11-09, 10:25 AM
i also skitted thru Sharon Lawrence's book last night till the early hours, and yes i now agree after a 3rd read it does seem potted with inconsistancies and fabrications . .lets face it what books ov this nature don't have such material dropped in here and there ?.

You didn't note anything specific, are you just guessing then? my my

Most would say relating that Jimi was born at a family friend's house, for example, is rather more than an understandable slip lol, it's long established and quite well documented where he was born, every even semi-serious fan should pick up on a goof like that, no? By a 2nd read at least one would think, hmmm.

All this from a woman who has claimed up to present day to have near-total verbatim recall of her entire life & interactions, she noted these extraordinary memory gifts as a witness in Toronto, afterall....necessary as she'd botched the recording, presumably, of the very interview she was being cross-examined about and so was unable to produce it for the court.

edit: Forgot also to add that part of her "research" for the book was, apparently from the accounts of *several* locals who relate similar accounts, to hang out at the cemetery by the shrine erected by Janie & Co and quiz some who stopped by for homage as well as some of the "chronic" hangers-out there (who pay homage at the site as only true JH 'heads' can, at the expense of many brain cells as years go by perhaps).

"Curious" as well as mysterious Miss L. lol

souldoggie
04-11-09, 10:36 AM
Back to Sharon Lawrence. Though I have no proof, none what-so-ever, I submit my theory that it was on either June 3, 4 or 5, 1969, inside Jimi's "Beverly Rodeo Hyatt House" suite, that Jimi and Sharon devised and finalized the plan to have her perjure herself on his behalf, on the stand and under oath, in Canada on December 9, 1969.
Her testimony has always seemed to me to be a little too cute by half.
Jimi, of course, had no recourse in which to fight the drug charges, other to say that the heroin was not his. So how do the drugs end up in his possession? A fan must have given him the heroin and he didn't realize it.
I actually believe that this may well have happened. That scenario seems very plausible to me.
The problem with an explanation like that is that ,in a court of law, it would not be much of a defense.....unless you had a corrabative witness. With a witness testifying basically the same thing, now you have a defense that gets a judge (not to mention Jimi) off the hook. The Canadian court system and the politicians didn't want to imprison Jimi Hendrix. With the defendents testimony and a corrabative witness (Sharon) they didn't have to. Verdict: Not guilty.
Funny how Sharon, as far as I know, has never spoken about her day on the stand on that fateful December day. And she even wrote a book about her life with Jimi Hendrix.

scoutship
04-11-09, 11:07 AM
Here's a bit of a "Cliffs Notes" refresher for anyone about to start in on their own 2nd or 3rd venture into the fantastic mind of Sharon L, it's Ray Rae's own review of the book as posted at Amazon, while not exhaustive it should get one started on finding one's own trove of Miss L's choice nuggets of "recall" and journalistic abilities--

Long on drama, woefully short on credibility, <nobr>August 16, 2005</nobr>
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="top">
</td><td></td></tr></tbody></table>
While I applaud Ms. Lawrence for educating fans on the gross injustices within the Hendrix family and for having a commendable understanding of Janie Hendrix's psychological make up that is lost even on many who are within her orbit, there are some very serious credibility problems here.

While even the idle Hendrix fan knows Jimi was born in King County Hospital, (Now Harbor View) Lawrence states he was born at the home of a family friend.(Ouch) Jimi is quoted allegedly verbatum throughout the book but from some alledged tapes of interviews that no one has seen or heard and that Lawrence conveniently plans on destroying so 'no one can profit from them'.Meanwhile cigarette packs (yes, cigarette packs) and necklaces are being sold via ebay or to private collectors allegedly having belonged to Hendrix ,siting Ms. Lawrence as the previous owner and source of authenticity.

At one point she aledgedly quotes Hendrix as saying:

"The LSD passed around San Francisco was a fabulous discovery for me, I'd taken acid in London but...."

Aside from Jimi's use of the word 'fabulous' being at best incredulous, the fact that Hendrix had already tried LSD in New York in 1996 [sic for typo--ss] before going to England and subsequently Monterey is common knowledge among afficianados and again makes all of these alledged direct quotes questionable. Those of you who have listened to and read the hundreds of hours of interviews available through collectors, official releases and press clippings will also find some of the wording of these alledged quotes that the book, and the credibility of it's author are based on, extremely suspect. At one point Ms. Lawrence even offers an aledged quote from Hendrix's mother who passed away in 1958:

"Jimi baby" she told her son "I have to escape this"

While quotes like this can illicit an emotional response
from the average reader,they are clearly fictional. Throughout the book people close to Jimi are referenced but very sparsely quoted, if at all. I shared the recount of Jimi's trip to Berkeley as a small child (Pg.5) with Jimi's aunt Delores and she laughed openly and wondered aloud where people come up with these stories. This from a woman who was actually there and involved in planning said trip. While making a reference to Ernestine Benson and misstakenly referring to her husband Cornel as "Bill" , Lawrence again allegedly quotes Hendrix in lieu of an actual interview with the Benson's who are both still living and have incredible first hand insights having lived with the Hendrix's.

Lawrence's assertion that Hendrix committed suicide simply because his journal was left out is no less ridiculous than Jimi's adopted stepsister Janie's claim that Jimi didn't OD. Lawrence then stops just short of gleefully giving herself credit for Monika's suicide, but the jist is clear. This book is more than a bit narcissistic with Lawrence lauding herself as much as she does her subject. While proclaiming herself to be a close confident of Hendrix' the general consensus is that she wasn't around that much, if people even know who she is at all.

For a much more well researched and credible look into Jimi's life read Electric Gypsy or even more so , the new book Room Full Of Mirrors by Charles Cross. The Man, The Magic, The Truth, while very dramatic, is rife with glaring inaccuracies and is for the most part a novel about the author and her subject, not a biography or a reliable historical record. Unless these alledged tapes that are widely quoted throughout the entire book are made available, their legitimacy and the legitimacy of the book will forever be questioned.

Ray Rae Goldman
Archivist/Historian
James Marshall Hendrix Foundation

dino77
04-11-09, 01:05 PM
That's an accurate description of the Sharon Lawrence book.
Crap.

I also found it strange that she didn't go into detail about the Toronto court apperance. That's her claim to fame in the Hendrix mythology.

scoutship
04-11-09, 01:15 PM
That's an accurate description of the Sharon Lawrence book.
Crap.

I also found it strange that she didn't go into detail about the Toronto court apperance. That's her claim to fame in the Hendrix mythology.

Quite. Incidentally it was Chas's testimony in Toronto that carried the bulk of the weight, not SL's.

souldoggie
04-11-09, 01:27 PM
I totally agree with dino77 and scoutship. I was really looking forward to Lawrence's book when I heard she was publishing it, and then it turned out to be complete crap. Chas's testimony carried huge weight as far as a character witness goes, but without Lawrence's perjury (my opinion, no facts to back it up) under oath, a judge would not give any credibility to Jimi's testimony....or at best, very little.

cleanuponaisle76
04-11-09, 02:17 PM
Billy Cox's book is what I'm waiting for....I believe it's in the works, hopefully it comes out.

as far as Jimi's death...it's just meant to be that we don't fully understand it.

scoutship
04-11-09, 02:24 PM
^
Although according to her testimony she did not see him take the barbiturates, Monika's estimate as to how many pills he took was unquestioned, and as she has been later shown to be an unreliable witness, the amount of barbiturates in his sytem can only be judged by what the autopsy found, was it enough to kill someone? has anyone seen the autopsy? is it available?
Interesting to note that Brian Epstein and Jimi had the same coroner - Gavin Thurston, and the same pathologist -Donald Teare who performed the autopsy. It is of note that the coroner did not record an estimated time of death. Is there an estimate in the autopsy? He only appears to have questioned Monika and Gerry Stickell's very briefly and accepted at first hand what they said. The Coroner's report states that the inhalation of vomit (basically drowned in red wine according to the testimony of the doctor who first attended to him) killed him not the barbiturates. Can the blood alcohol/barbiturate level be reasonably accurately judged after the length of time Jimi appears to have been dead?

There are a couple, at least, individuals who have amassed an amazing store of claims, info, quotes, data, sheer fantasies, what have you with respect to the circumstances surrounding September 18 1970.

A time back some guy did a rather thorough--at least as thorough as is likely still possible--investigation of his own regarding the autopsy & data, the secobarbital, the alcohol level, interviews with the medical people & so on, and published the chief points of his findings in a cover story of one of the mags and it all hung together persuasively well respective of the documented facts that can be known.

I thought I owned that but haven't been able to dig it up (had forgotten I have Voices From Home though, ha ha, was certain a friend's was the copy available to me outside of library browsing) but it is out there somewhere, almost certain it is within the last 10 years but honestly I can't recall which mag, the cover tease makes it clear that the article is a serious delve into the facts of the death however. I will keep an eye out and ask around, maybe you'll come across it on your own though, it unifies a lot of the other material in a neat way. Sorry can't help more at present but good luck.

scoutship
04-11-09, 02:29 PM
Billy Cox's book is what I'm waiting for....I believe it's in the works, hopefully it comes out.

as far as Jimi's death...it's just meant to be that we don't fully understand it.

lol Oh yes, Eric certainly means for us not to "understand" any more about it of at least what he really knows, certainly.

;)

purple jim
04-11-09, 02:36 PM
Rather disturbing to think that Burdon should be part of the "cover up". I can't imagine him protecting Monika for decades. He loved Jimi so I can't see him participating in a Jeffrey plot, even if Jeffrey was his former manager.
Is he "the man that knew too much", with a Jeffrey hit-man still alive somewhere and ready to kill him and his family should he grass ?
Perhaps because he participated in the clean up, he was always worried that he could be done for non assistance to persons in distress ?
Fascinating, as Spock would say.

scoutship
04-11-09, 03:10 PM
Perhaps because he participated in the clean up

Perhaps. Or perhaps because of Alvenia. Or perhaps because he shot his mouth off a bit unwisely with respect to the "suicide note" poem. But that he has never come fully clean of what he actually did and knows is certain.

It's not as though he hasn't lied before, why would anyone be surprised or feign "shock"?

Goodness, Jimi himself told some of the grandest whoppers to cover up parts of his own background, which cow is it you feel should be treated the most sacredly?

ilovejimi
04-11-09, 03:23 PM
Please keep going Guys...

Personally I think whatever happened that morning...She was there to see it all go down and she took her own life to essentially take the secret to the grave with her...
Eric burdon always stikes me as "kinda odd" as well whenever he discusses Jimi...and his death...

I've read that on his deathbed he's supposed to let the "TRUTH"about Jimi's death come out...What's that About...?!?!
Keep On Pushin Guys !!!!!!! More More !!! If this deathbed confession to be is true-- then Eric is hiding something back--- WHY? and what is he so worried about? Also if he knows more than hes letting on-- then shame on him for tring to con the world that Jimi's last written song(Story of life- I love the irony:minipersonen065:) was a suicide note

RobWats67
04-11-09, 05:27 PM
Buddy Miles was going to write a book, too. He passed away before he could even work on a book about his life.

stplsd
04-11-09, 06:48 PM
^
Shortly before he died he managed a very long interview where he puts it down the way he sees it, no holds barred. Google soul-patrol

stplsd
04-11-09, 08:11 PM
The UK legal limit for drivers is 80 mg of alcohol per 100 ml of blood, often referred to as a BAC or blood-alcohol concentration. In US terms this would be expressed as 0.08%. This is alternatively expressed in terms of breath alcohol - 35 µg (microgrammes) per 100 ml (which is now the usual official measure in the UK), or alcohol in the urine - 107 mg per 100 ml.

Tony Brown in his book say that Jimi was sightly over the drink driving limit when he quotes the autopsy as finding only 5mg "%" (how does this translate to 'per 100ml') for the blood
and only 46mg (no "%" this time? 'per 100ml'?) for the urine

He quotes the barbiturate/blood level at 0.7 "%" (translation?)
and the successor to Donald Teare - Dr Crompton says this level should not exeed 0.5% and that the above level would seriously inhibit the normal cough reflex.

stplsd
04-11-09, 08:52 PM
Brian Epstein, August 1967 coroner Gavin Thurston records accidental - barbiturates
Judy Garland, June 69 Coroner Gavin Thurston records accidental death, barbiturates
Jimi Hendrix, 18 September 1970 Coroner Gavin Thurston records open verdict, inhalation of vomit, due to barbiturates (he had been drinking alcohol as well)

Alan Wilson (Canned Heat) 3 September 1970 US coroner death by misadventure - barbiturates (he had been drinking alcohol as well)

souldoggie
04-11-09, 09:37 PM
Please bear with me, let's just say for the sake of argument, that Monica did not kill, or partake in the killing or cover up, of Jimi Hendrix....

One of the greatest tragedies of the 20th century was that Jimi was in the presence of a young, gullible, immature, and starstruck little girl on a dark London night when he so needed competence and savvy and skill and capability and proficiency and capacity and street smarts. Since the fall of 1970 I have often wondered how and why she seemed to always get a pass from the Hendrix family and Hendrix scholars and everybody else. It was my view in 1970, and it is my view today, that she should have faded away in shame and disgrace. Instead, I have books and articles and German Jimi Hendrix flexi-singles with her name all over them. It was disgraceful then and it is disgraceful now. For me, the ultimate irony was the tragedy of her own death.

stplsd
04-12-09, 03:38 AM
young, gullible, immature, and starstruck little girl .

Well, she was over 25, and if you accept the sworn affidavit of Philip Harvey, she also had a viscious temper. Several other well known "black" musicians have claimed to have "been with her" prior to her final "relationship" with Hendrix' .

on a dark London night when he so needed competence and savvy and skill and capability and proficiency and capacity and street smarts.

or maybe just some common sense and decency? why the several hours before an ambulance was called and why the lies?

Since the fall of 1970 I have often wondered how and why she seemed to always get a pass from the Hendrix family and Hendrix scholars and everybody else.

Yes, it's a strange one

It was my view in 1970, and it is my view today, that she should have faded away in shame and disgrace.

Or told the truth? and then faded away etc.

Instead, I have books and articles and German Jimi Hendrix flexi-singles with her name all over them.

Did she ever let slip any more accurate information in them?

It was disgraceful then and it is disgraceful now.

I think we're all agreed on that

For me, the ultimate irony was the tragedy of her own death

Don't know about the irony bit, more just sordid and f+++ed up I'd say

stplsd
04-12-09, 04:23 AM
Sharon Lawrence, has anyone ever found a reference to her by anyone who actually knew Jimi? or a photo, or any written piece attributed to her apart from her two[?] books?

stplsd
04-12-09, 07:49 AM
[quote=stplsd;17375]
>but he also benefits from a 2.5 million death insurance policy over Jimi.
this policy can only exist in the case of accidental death...hence the cover up.

6. Where is the evidence that he had a life insurance policy on Jimi? and if so where's the evidence that he collected?

I just found one:

Keith Altham quotes Chas in his 27 July 1968, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://crosstowntorrents.org/ /><st1:country-region><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = <st1:place>UK, </st1:place></st1:country-region>NEW MUSICAL EXPRESS
article: "Jimi came out of the sea swearing his lungs had collapsed! ‘You wouldn’t believe it but we’ve got Jimi insured for a million dollars,’ said Chas. ‘And the doctor said he was the fittest man he had ever seen.’"

On further thought it's far more likely to be about the Warner's policy, of which there is plenty of 1st hand testimony. There is no record of Jeffery & Chandler Inc. taking one out and there is plenty to support the opposite

purple jim
04-12-09, 10:20 AM
Jeffrey probably had more to gain from Jimi being kept alive. Even if he feared that he might lose his role as manager this would not have meant the end of his business attatchments to the fortunes that Jimi continued to generate. His dismissal would not have terminated Yameta's rights.
Because of this, perhaps the Insurance angle doesn't really hold up as a motive.

stplsd
04-12-09, 06:33 PM
^
I agree, I think it a ludicrous suggestion that Jeffery would have Hendrix killed. All that stuff about him being an MI5 agent just sounds like a load of bollocks as well, just about every other guy who works on the North Sea oil drilling rigs has been in the SAS, know what I mean? He only did his National Service for f+++s sake, so he learnt a bit of Russian, so what.
But I still want to know the score though. Insurance included.

So, what about this Sharon burd then? was she really so chummy with Jimi and had total recall, or do I smell shi-it?

stplsd
04-12-09, 06:44 PM
His dismissal would not have terminated Yameta's rights.

Not sure about that, in 1968 as part of the Hendrix/Jeffery & Chandler (Yameta) vs Chalpin/Capitol settlement in the US he did a deal (including Canada) with Warners and Yameta was out of the picture there. They were then just dealing with Jeffery & Chandler Inc. direct and Jimi, Noel & Mitch were given a company Are You Experienced? to represent them and they signed separately with Warners. Jimi's publishing was taken over by a newly set up company Bella Godiva.

Can anyone clarify what the deals actually entailed?

stplsd
04-12-09, 06:46 PM
I also found it strange that she didn't go into detail about the Toronto court appearance. That's her claim to fame in the Hendrix mythology.

Her only claim from what I can see.

scoutship
04-12-09, 06:59 PM
Sharon Lawrence, has anyone ever found a reference to her by anyone who actually knew Jimi? or a photo, or any written piece attributed to her apart from her two[?] books?

Sure, Redding's book for one. Friend has her Rock Star book. And there were a couple odd pics floating about while during her promo tour for the Hendrix tome.

Seen one photo somewhere of her young, late 60s-ish but don't recall where, also only one small thumb of her today seems to be online at present.

She was part of a panel in Nashville timed to her book sign appearance there, something about Hendrix the Nashville Connection or some such.

stplsd
06-17-10, 05:00 AM
Sure, Redding's book for one. Friend has her Rock Star book. And there were a couple odd pics floating about while during her promo tour for the Hendrix tome.

Seen one photo somewhere of her young, late 60s-ish but don't recall where, also only one small thumb of her today seems to be online at present.

She was part of a panel in Nashville timed to her book sign appearance there, something about Hendrix the Nashville Connection or some such.
Thanks scoutship.

She appears to have been some kind of adviser to Noel, she appears in his autobiography and is mentioned in Rolling Stone regarding the 1973 film A Film About Jimi Hendrix:
Noel Redding refused to be inter­viewed because he had a lawsuit pend­ing against the estate (since settled) and also because Redding's friend Sharon Lawrence (a close friend of Hendrix, now a Los Angeles publicist for Elton John's Rocket Records) advised him against it.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
"Noel filed the lawsuit because of the film," Ms. Lawrence claimed later. "Noel and I both felt that the whole attitude was not representative of what we knew Jimi to be. Besides,” she add­ed, “We were against a strictly commer­cial venture with no provision for charity. We felt that Jimi would be extremely upset that his friends par­ticipated in something that was basic­ally exploiting his fans. We never had any indication that they cared about Jimi's feelings; it's more than a rip-off of Jimi, it's a very sad way to end him for the public."<o:p></o:p>

Fenders Fingers
06-17-10, 09:10 AM
I was sure I had come across her name before but never did pin it down. The Elton John connection is the link, thanks stplsd.
Anyone know if she has had links like this to any other "star" ?

Scrum Drum
06-17-10, 12:12 PM
the amount of barbiturates in his system can only be judged by what the autopsy found, was it enough to kill someone? has anyone seen the autopsy? is it available?

The relevant data from the autopsy was presented in Henderson's book. The most important data is the 3.9mg of barbiturate and 5mg per 100ml of blood alcohol. Another important forensic factor was the undigested rice stomach contents witnessed by the coroner. He said that was important because it takes the stomach around 4 hours to clear its contents. Since Jimi was seen eating that rice at a party between 11pm and midnight it means he died somewhere around 4am. Not long after getting back to the Samarkand.

The theory that someone ground-up the Vesparax and snuck them into a drink can't be correct because sleeping pills have a nasty bitter taste. Grind up a small over the counter sleeping pill and you'll see what I mean. Plus we are told Jimi spoke to his New York doctor from London and told him of his insomnia and intention to take some of the "Tuinols" at Monika's.

From what I've read the doctors debated whether or not it was a lethal dose? I think I read of a doctor deciding it wasn't. Especially if people are saying Jimi had a tolerance to barbiturates. However I have seen people who had experience with Vesparax arguing that you can't develop any tolerance to Vesparax and that it was like saying a veteran heroin addict could develop a tolerance to a huge heroin overdose - it just doesn't work that way. And Jimi had not taken Vesparax before either. I have read accounts of persons taking 1 Vesparax and finding themselves 30 hours later on the kitchen floor after pissing themselves. It is this camp that says 9 Vesparax could be a lethal dose on its own. So we clearly need some credible science on this. The German company that made the drug cancelled it shortly after. I think they were partly responsible for "booby trapping" people with a highly-concentrated drug in the same-sized pills.

One last thing. The autopsy found mainly the Quinalbarbitone and Brallobarbitone ingredients of the Vesparax in Jimi's system. So the Vesparax were in there in correct proportion with only minor amounts of the other drugs in the "Black Bomber" taken earlier. So I'm pretty sure there were no other mystery drugs in Jimi. And I don't think the speed cancels out the other downers. I think it just becomes one giant drug overload toxic soup.

Is there an estimate in the autopsy?

Not that I know of. I think they went with Bannister's offhand "died in the ambulance on the way" which was the informal word as seen in Monika's story.

The autopsy isn't publicly available or posted anywhere on the internet that I know of. However, I doubt Henderson would risk having his reputation as an author and Hendrix source damaged by posting false data. Also, I've seen the exact same numbers repeated in other sources.

Scrum Drum
06-17-10, 12:28 PM
There's no doubt Jeffery was MI-5. His father said he did most of his national service in civilian clothes and spoke fluent Russian. He never really spoke about exactly what he did during his service to his father. Unless you can find Russian lessons that Jeffery took outside of the military you can assume the MI branch of service was where Jeffery learned his Russian. I doubt it was taught in the regular army. And we know Jeffery did several years of British National Service.

Also, let's look at Jimi Hendrix's army service. His records are clearly accessible and his station and friends are all easily locatable. Michael Jeffery, on the other hand, is just a dark empty hole. No, Michael Jeffery is now a notorious figure in history. If he was in the regular British Army we could just look-up his service record. Jeffery has so much controversy around him that it makes sense that someone would have come forward and said "oh, yes, I know Jeffery we were mates and served together in the so and so battalion based at so and so etc. The fact no one has done that is all you need to know.

1950's Cold War MI service was very long ago in a different world set-up. There's no excuse for the British Government to not reveal which service Jeffery served in. We know he passed an aptitude test and went on to the intelligence corps. There's no doubt Jeffery was MI-5. It seems obvious to me why Jeffery's record is still secret.

Scrum Drum
06-17-10, 12:40 PM
Jeffrey probably had more to gain from Jimi being kept alive. Even if he feared that he might lose his role as manager this would not have meant the end of his business attatchments to the fortunes that Jimi continued to generate. His dismissal would not have terminated Yameta's rights.
Because of this, perhaps the Insurance angle doesn't really hold up as a motive.

I don't think so. It makes sense that, by contract, if Jimi died Jeffery would be in sole possession of all the music. Don't forget Jimi was going to audit Jeffery's books. Jeffery still had those attachments when Jimi was dead.

So far, from what I know no one has ever produced a document to prove this mysterious insurance policy Jeffery was supposed to have on Jimi. I think people are confusing the nominal policy taken by Warner Brothers on all artists to cover production costs. Maybe this mystery policy was just a rumor started by Jeffery to explain the money he stole from Hendrix? Money that Wright said suddenly showed-up in abundance right after Jimi died.

Insurance companies are the first people to investigate murder for profit.

dino77
06-17-10, 01:13 PM
Do record companies always take out life insurances on their artists???
If suicide (and murder?) on Jimi's part had been proved, then Warner's insurance on Jimi would have been void.

Scrum Drum
06-17-10, 01:25 PM
Do record companies always take out life insurances on their artists???
If suicide (and murder?) on Jimi's part had been proved, then Warner's insurance on Jimi would have been void.

Which is a good question. I think it was Sharon Lawrence who mentioned Warner Brothers took out a policy on all their artists to cover costs in case anything happened to them.

Warner Brothers, being a large corporation would have an incentive to not investigate Jimi's death. The accidental death verdict would work in their favor. If Warner Brothers had an American policy, which they must have, I don't know what power they would have to investigate a death occurring in Britain or a British verdict.

scoutship
06-17-10, 07:28 PM
Post #51

Also, let's look at Jimi Hendrix's army service. His records are clearly accessible

Not so.

There are some key docs no longer a part of the original files. Closely held by a few collectors, moreso if my knowledge is still current, since RFoM published.

stplsd
06-17-10, 08:05 PM
The relevant data from the autopsy was....

This was an off topic that crept in (by me probably) I think the debate about this is covered on the
The Jimi Hendrix Political Harassment, Kidnap and Murder Experience thread at:

http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthread.php?t=864

And should stay there. This is about Sharon Lawrence (who is she?), no point in having two threads debating Jimi's death. I've started a thread about Mike if you want to get into that. It's off topic here.

scoutship
06-20-10, 01:45 AM
I was sure I had come across her name before but never did pin it down. The Elton John connection is the link, thanks stplsd.
Anyone know if she has had links like this to any other "star" ?

Oh yes.

Interview with Rock 'n' Roll Reporter Sharon Lawrence (http://www.southernfriedmagazine.com/magazine/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=259) - Teri Merchant

I “met” Sharon a couple of years ago on Ed King’s forum where she has shared her thoughts, opinions and great stories from inside the music business. She has also talked about her friendships and professional relationships with some of the most famous rock and roll musicians in the world. So, I was very pleased and thankful when she agreed to do this interview for Southern Fried Magazine…and rightfully so. Having someone of her caliber to take the time to share her experiences and personal memories with our readers is unsurpassed and very much appreciated.

The following bio was published in one of her books:
"Sharon Lawrence started her career as a reporter for the United Press International's Los Angeles bureau. Her specialty was the entertainment beat, including film and pop music. After more than five years with UPI, she became a management, marketing, and PR consultant for such clients as MCA, Columbia, Apple, and Rocket Record Company, as well as for major movie studios. She has worked with numerous artists including Elton John, David Bowie, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Tim Rice, and Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Lawrence is the author of So You Want to Be a Rock and Roll Star and Old Carmel in Rare Photographs [publisher/editor from what I could discover without actually seeing the book, which is a collection of photographs by L. S Slevin--scoutship]. She lives in Los Angeles."

I recently read your book, "Jimi Hendrix; The Man, The Magic, The Truth" and I gotta tell ya.....you were definitely in the right place at the right time. Rock 'n' roll in L.A., New York City and London in the 1960's was definitely the place to be if you were a music fan. Must have seemed like a dream come true to be getting paid to write about the entertainment and music scene. How old were you when you started that job and what was your first assignment?

I dropped out of UCLA when I was nineteen because a magazine editor had seen something humorous that I had written as an intern and told me of a job he could be helpful in getting me in the downtown Los Angeles news bureau of United Press International, then a very powerful organization.

I worked very long hours with middle-aged men who mostly were sick of being there, often had personal or alcohol-related problems. It was rather challenging to go from a sort of smart high school girl mentality to the "big world," and even though I regularly interviewed the world's most famous stars, directors and producers writing about them and writing well took thought and professionalism. I learned on the job because I had a lot of pride in doing things right. But certainly there was a part of me that wanted to still be a high school kid with no responsibilities.

One perk, though my employers wouldn't have thought of it that way, was that I met and got to know most of the "British Invasion" as well as American music stars. My bosses detested "these rich kids" but slowly, gradually did accept that I should write about The Beatles, Elvis, etc. on occasion. I don't really remember who I interviewed first because in the course of a long day it would go from dying John Wayne to Herman's Hermits being in town to seeing two films at the motion picture academy that night and finding the time to do good writing about all on a deadline...and maybe driving back and forth between somewhat creepy downtown L.A., Beverly Hills and Hollywood.

What happened near the end of Jimi Hendrix's life was really heartbreaking. You describe him as being a very sweet, sensitive guy who just wanted to play his own music and be accepted for what he was. I'm sure he was grateful for your friendship and would be very proud of your book. Why did it take so long to write it? Was it just time to set the record straight after all these years for his fans or was it more personal than that for you?

Jimi and I just hit it off. I met a mannerly, intelligent person who was always, always interesting. He told me so much about creativity, a subject we both cared about, that it became easier for him to talk to me about his life, growing up, hopes and dreams -- subjects he seldom discussed with anyone else. In his poverty-stricken growing up, no one cared about him for long. When he became famous, no one thought to have real conversations with him. It was either about business or jamming or just gawking at him or wanting him to spend money on something that benefited them.

I kept assuming some fabulous writer would do his definitive story but the many books written had so much wrong. In 1999 a famous English musician who admired Jimi phoned me and said, "Well since we're going into a new century, and there's so much crap out there about Jimi, don't you think you should tell who he really was?"

I already knew the story and I didn't want to spend several years writing it all down when it had such a sad ending. It cost me time and money and a lot of soul searching but i had many boxes of notes, journals, and cassettes of Jimi in conversation. It was exhausting and I would not want to do it again but since Jimi had become this bigger than life icon, super hero since his death I felt it was important for history to record who and what he really was and why he died so young...in his own words as much as possible.

I wrote the book, too, for the musicians who had known and loved him and for the two children he never knew; I felt they deserved to know the kind of person he really was and what his feelings for them were.

The book has been published in America, United Kingdom, France, Italy, Finland and will eventually be published in Greece, Brazil, Sweden. etc.

I'm sure you've been asked this question before, but I'll ask it anyway since you knew him as well, if not better, than anyone. If Jimi were still alive, what direction do you think he would have taken his music and what do you think he would be doing today?

It would still be about experimenting with various forms of music, producing young musicians...he loved art and had talent for it and I expect he would have taken lessons and turned out innovative art.

When you think about him now what are your most vivid memories of him?
What stands out in your mind?

Two things people don't know but are vivid to me....how much Jimi enjoyed a good meal and how much he loved to read a good book. He also read the newspaper and Newsweek magazine.

How star struck were you when you started meeting these music icons; Hendrix, The Beatles, The Stones, Eric Clapton, Led Zeppelin, Elton John, David Bowie, Lynyrd Skynyrd just to name a few from a very long list? What was that like for you and did there come a time when you just got used to it?

We were all just young people. Musicians were impressed that I knew virtually every inch of L.A. and that I could drive them around and show them Elvis's house, etc. We talked about music -- what was the hot record on radio, what records we'd just bought -- constantly.

I was treated warmly in London so when the English were in L.A. I always tried to make them feel comfortable. Remember, they were as nervous and wide-eyed in L.A. on the first trips as I was in London.

I had two brothers so I tended to think of many of these guys as "just guys" who happened to have wonderful talent, which always impressed me. As much as I loved music I had no talent for it.

I have never been star struck. I was born with a sense of self...taught to act with good manners and kindness. (sounds really dorky but that's how it was at my house) I grew up in Los Angeles and while driving up to Hollywood or the Sunset Strip was great fun, it wasn't about gawking at famous people. I loved to eat at Hamburger Hamlet, go to the Whisky A Go Go, The Troubadour and The Ash Grove. It was generally about love of the music. My earliest memories are always of music on the record player.

Who was your favorite Beatle? Mine was Paul for many years, then I started getting really interested in George.

Didn't have one. The Rolling Stones were it for me. Later, I did work on "The Concert For Bangladesh" (involved with editing of the film of the concert and marketing the film) George was back in England after the concert but phoned me unexpectedly one day to thank me for my efforts.

I first met The Beatles in 1965, ran into them here and there but really did not know them. Throughout the 1970s John Lennon sought me out. He liked to talk to me about Jimi, who had been someone he admired and missed. John talked a lot about his own feelings generally. I was a good listener.

Addiction and substance abuse seem to run rampant in the music business. You had an up close and personal relationship with so many artists that never found their way out and some that took years to do so. Must have been hard for you to watch. Being close to it for so many years, what is your own personal opinion about why this happens to so many of them?
Negative associations encourage drug use...business people, hangers-on and wannabe hangers-on bring it around. Gets to be an easy habit and then more difficult to control. The music and families suffer when artists lose discipline.

For some reason most of us think rock stars and people in the entertainment industry are all larger than life. Why do you think we are so fascinated with them? Have you ever figured that out?
Few of them are larger than life. Hendrix, Jagger could...can be that on occasion. But it's more in the beholder's head of needing, wanting to have some excitement in their life, make themselves feel more special by seeing people they have decided are "special."

I deplore the thinking of people who imagine anyone they admire is perfect...or kind...or 'really nice.' Sometimes that's not how it is because no one is perfect...no matter how famous or rich.

Most of the readers here who have not read your book yet would probably like to know what it was like touring and hanging out with some of our favorite rock and roll bands. Any particular stories or incidences stick out in your mind about a few of them that you'd like to share? Personally, I'm a Beatles, Stones and Zeppelin fan.....so you could start there if you like.

I'm presently working on "Peacocks In The Jungle," a lengthy book with rare photos that covers popular culture from the inside. It will be published in 2009. I'm saving my various adventures for that.

When did you begin working with the various record companies and what exactly did you do for them?

I grew bored with my job at UPI after several years, joined a top relations company in Hollywood doing marketing for Apple records, Robert Stigwood and leading film companies which allowed me to travel and also work many 20 hour days

When you were working for MCA did they send you to Jacksonville to sign Lynyrd Skynyrd or did the band already have a contract with them?

I never worked for MCA. At the same time I was getting ready to accept an offer to be involved with Elton John and Rocket Records, the president of MCA asked me "as a favor" to go to Atlanta and see and hear Skynyrd in the studio. I was extremely busy winding up projects for others and didn't want to go but since Elton was on MCA
And I would be dealing with them on a daily basis I reluctantly agreed to fly to Atlanta for a day and a half to show my respect for the company.

Did you actually move to Jacksonville in those early days or did you just come and go? I was living there then . . .we might have been neighbors, who knows?

I went to Jacksonville for days and weeks numerous times between 1973 and 1981. But always stayed in a motel or hotel or with various Skynyrd members (in the guest room).

What was your first impression of these good ole Southern boys?

Very young, amusing, likable and super-dedicated to their music

By then you had spent a lot of time with some of the best musicians in the world.
Did you know right away that this band had something special?

Immediately. I stood in a dark parking lot in an industrial court in an Atlanta suburb listening to most of the tracks that were in the final mixes. Thrilling to hear the guitar solo on "I Ain't The One"... the words and music to "Gimme Three Steps" "Mississippi Kid."

I had a reputation in Hollywood for hearing hits...and I knew with support Lynyrd Skynyrd could be popular throughout the country and the world.

So while I worked with Elton they became my "charity project." I spent much time, thought and money on them because I was impressed with how they had struggled, with their pride and with them as individuals.

Knowing Jimi Hendrix as well as you did, what do you think he would have thought of Skynyrd's music?

A fresh sound. An integrity all their own. Strong playing and writing

From what I know about you and your relationship with them, they became a bit dependent on you for a lot of things: picking out their wardrobe, getting them ready for photo shoots, shopping for them, etc. Any funny or interesting stories along those lines you'd like to share?

Didn't pick out their wardrobe...they all had their own thoughts...but did give them lots of free, cool t-shirts...which they loved to have. Photo shoots...I may have hired photographers but all I ever asked was "be yourself and don't try to look goofy."

The Skynyrd members all knew each other for years, grew up together. How would you describe the relationships within the band? We've all heard about the inner fighting that went on from time to time, but I've always looked at it like the kind of fighting that brothers do. Would that describe their relationship, in your opinion?

I would describe the relationship this way: Ronnie was the leader, in capital letters. They all looked up to him, and his opinion meant a great deal. They were like their own little family in the early years, giving up relaxing, seeing, being with their own families to try and gain respect and success.

How much touring did you do with Skynyrd? Was it all just part of the job? What tours or performances particularly stand out in your mind?

No, it wasn't part of my job because I never worked for them. I would be invited to come on the road. Occasionally, I surprised them. I remember when they graduated from Winnebago to a bus, and Ronnie and Allen announced proudly, "You're the only girl that's coming on our bus." I was flying in private planes with Elton and my rich rock star friends at this time but I was very moved by those words.

We've all read a little bit about the song writing process within the band. How would you describe it and is it true that Ronnie never wrote anything down? I personally find that "rumor" a little hard to believe, even with the gift that he had.

Of course, he wrote things down but he also said, "unless I can remember the words as I'm thinking them they may not be worth writing down." Ronnie's writing was deeply important to him. He had nice handwriting and printing and he was meticulous in correcting grammar and punctuation.

Did you ever have any input or did they ever ask for your opinion of their songs as they were working on them?

Yes. I was free with my opinions until if I was quiet they'd get worried. I would say, "Well, that's the single, no doubt about it." Or I'd tell Billy how great he was, and he would just beam. But I was never gushy. They saw me truly listening, (as if a career depended upon it and it did) and that was what mattered to them.

When they played with The Who, no one knew who they were and no one cared in the early gigs. When they came to L.A., I did have a sit down and go over the 4-5 song opening act set. I was emphatic that they do "Mr. Breeze" as the third song and it helped the set a lot. The boys were horrified I was telling Ronnie what to do. He didn't say much but did it my way...saw that it worked. Bottom line -- this was their big chance in Los Angeles to be known...and to see sales from the first album. I didn't care if they liked me or my words. I wanted them to be winners. They understood that.
In the summer of 1977 Ronnie talked to me quite a bit about the band, about songwriting. I was very impressed with his commitment to his writing, his pride in it.

Were you ever out at Hell House or was that sacred ground, like a "no girls allowed" kind of thing?

Yes, I was escorted by the band to Hell House on a hot, hot day. I had heard all kinds of stories from them about it, and it lived up to its reputation...beautiful meadow...hellishly hot inside.

This is probably a difficult question to ask, but if you were to make a list of some of your favorite Skynyrd songs, what would they be?

"Was I right Or Wrong" is the first one that comes to mind.

There is a great story I read somewhere that you told, probably in an interview, about Allen Collins and some guitar strings of Jimi's that you had kept and had given to Allen. Would you mind telling the story again?

The band was at my house in the Hollywood hills in the fall of 1973. They had no money yet. They were ready to leave the house to go to the Whisky A Go Go where they were playing for several nights. Allen broke a string and it subtly became clear to me that they were afraid they didn't have any string money and weren't sure where to go. I remembered that I had some of Jimi's, so I found them, asked Allen if one of those would work. Nothing more was said. They did the gig....seven years later I was at Allen and Kathy's home and he showed me one of his Skynyrd scrapbooks. On a special page he had placed Jimi's guitar string in its faded English package.

A very touching moment...and one that Hendrix would have appreciated.

This is a pretty broad question as people have many sides to them, but what kind of man was Ronnie Van Zant? How would you describe your relationship with him?

We were great friends who had mutual respect for each other. One of the finest people I've ever met.

As you're very well aware, this year marks the 30th anniversary of the plane crash, Southern Fried is focusing a little more on them in this issue. I don't want to delve too much into it out of respect for the families, friends and survivors that read this magazine, but, where were you when you heard about the crash and what did you do?

I was driving my car listening to the radio on an Atlanta freeway. I spent the rest of the night on the phone with Mississippi and Jacksonville. At 7am the next morning, I flew to see various band and crew members in four different hospitals in Mississippi. A very difficult time for everyone, especially the families of the dead and broken boys.

Were you still close to Allen in the years following his accident and up until the time of his death?

I was a close friend of Allen and his wonderful wife Kathy. He missed her. He missed Ronnie. We could talk about it. He had family who loved him and others who didn't, who were not loyal or respectful of him. Weeks after he became paralyzed, just about the worst thing that could happen to someone like Allen who was all about movement, he called me. "I don't want you to see me like this." "I don't want to," I said. "To me, you're just another guy in white flares, and a red pirate's hat." He liked that answer.

Did you see any of the tribute tour shows when they got together in 1987?
No. Too difficult.

When was the last time you saw or spoke to Leon?

Every six months or so until his death. A very great bass player and one of the most entertaining people I've ever known.

There are probably close to a dozen web sites devoted to talking about this band. What is it about Lynyrd Skynyrd that seems to fascinate so many of us almost to the point of obsession for some people? Is it the music, the people, the tragedies? Why do you suppose there are so many of us still so interested in every little detail about them? I don't think it's up there with Beatlemania or the crazy Elvis following, but it's not too far behind.

Partly genuine love of the music, respect for the people. For some, anything to do with tragedy is a fascination. Because there are a lot of people who love to play guitar and wish they could play like Allen or Gary or Ed or Steve.

How did you feel about LS finally making it to the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame? Did you attend the ceremony?

They should have been inducted earlier...I was invited but preferred to watch on television, not in a huge ballroom....greatly disappointed that one of Skynyrd's heroes -- like Eric Clapton, Merle Haggard etc -- were not asked to "induct" the band. "Kid Rock" would never have been Ronnie's cup of tea.

What differences do you see in the music industry today compared to what it was 30 years ago?

The music industry of the sixties and seventies is pretty well gone, high technology has taken over. Record industry helped to kill their golden goose.

Are there any new young bands out there that interest you or that you can see may have some potential?

Like “The Artic Monkeys”...”Kings Of Leon” have potential. “KT Tunstall” is great.

What kinds of projects are you working on now? Is there another book in the works, possibly about Lynyrd Skynyrd?

Will write a bit about LS in "Peacocks In The Jungle." I also write films about music and non-music subjects.

Would you ever write an autobiography? I, personally, think it would be fascinating.

Some classy Hollywood types like the idea of a film about someone like me played by Sarah Jessica Parker or Drew Barrymore. Not something I personally actively pursue but the calls keep coming.

What's in your CD player at the moment?

The Rolling Stones "Stripped" and a special CD someone made for me of the best of Motown.

One last question... when you're sitting home alone on a Saturday night kicking back watching TV or whatever...what's your favorite junk food to snack on? I'm kind of a chip and dip girl myself.
Like some members of Lynyrd Skynyrd, a Snickers bar would sound good.

scoutship
06-20-10, 02:17 AM
Sam says he has 3 photos of Sharon aside from this one that accompanied pub of her Jimi book--

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/7482/26419.jpg

I know I saw another one online for the Nashville seminar but can't find it now online or off, pretty sure I have it around somewhere though.

dino77
06-20-10, 02:29 AM
Thank you.
A very interesting lady, Sharon.

stplsd
06-20-10, 06:08 PM
Thanks again scoutship, excellent. Although it still doesn't clear up anything regarding her dodgy Jimi book.

scoutship
06-20-10, 06:18 PM
Thanks again scoutship, excellent. Although it still doesn't clear up anything regarding her dodgy Jimi book.

Its dodginess is probably speaking for itself. Born at the home of a friend? But RR Goldman's review sums it all up nicely and has already been posted.

Sam had posted the eBay ads, for the ciggies & so on, over at ESC way back when, they're probably still around somewhere or t'other.

scoutship
06-20-10, 06:39 PM
January 10 1970

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/9135/january101970.jpg

Whereas I have several other pieces the writers of which indicate that from their perspective inside the courtroom she was so vague & suspect (couldn't get her recorder to work?) that both lawyers fairly brushed her off (ie body language, tone of voice, facial expressions as cf the transcripts) and lent the most weight to Chas's industry-insider's accounts.

Don't know if this one came off the UPI wire...maybe she wrote it herself?

bzooka78
07-04-10, 08:08 AM
Really not much to add of what has been said of Monica Danneman. I really get a kick out of the goof ball she lived with for the twenty or so years before she offed herself - Uli Jon Roth.
On his website he pretty much idolize her, and it's also to bad that Jimi's 69 black stratocaster ended up in his hands after her death. Like I alway's say - "birds of a feather flock together".

Herman Cherusken
07-04-10, 04:33 PM
Could someone please summorize the objections against Sharon Lawrence? And why her involvement in Hendrix' Toronto trial (and lack of reference to in her book) is important? And why a number of factual mistakes/bloopers in her books eradicates everything else she has to say or document? What's the justification for the many scornful comments? Im seriously interested...

What I see is an able bodied chick who has known Jimi on a personal level since whatever year it was, but never got involved on an intimate lever but as a close friend. And she obviously reveal a number of issues concerning Jimi, like her references and experience of and the eventual and ultimate confrontation with Monika Dannemann...

I don't understand the hostilities towards her...

MourningStar
07-04-10, 10:26 PM
... And why her involvement in Hendrix' Toronto trial (and lack of reference to in her book) is important? ...Which book are you referring to? Her involvement at the trial is covered in her 'Jimi Hendrix:the Man-the Magic-the Truth' document. Or am I not understanding the question?

Scrum Drum
07-04-10, 11:31 PM
I think he's trying to say that because Sharon Lawrence may have cooperated in a bs story about a weird woman putting a small pill bottle of heroin in Jimi's suitcase doesn't mean her story about Monika saying she "washed sick off Jimi's face with wine" isn't true or doesn't possess the significance it does.

I personally lean towards believing Sharon's story about the strange hippy girl because I think Jimi never would have been so foolish as to place a small bottle of heroin right in his suitcase prior to arriving at International Customs. Jimi also used this event as an example of Jeffery's deviousness. If Hendrix had spaced-out and forgotten the heroin in his suitcase I don't think he would have gone around telling people it was Jeffery.

One thing I do disagree with Sharon Lawrence about is her belief that Jimi committed suicide. Like others, I don't think she's considered the full evidence. I'd like to send her a letter describing why I think Hendrix was murdered. But if she's any kind of Hendri-phile she's already seen it.

The book I read by her was 'Jimi Hendrix Betrayed'.

MourningStar
07-05-10, 12:23 AM
... The book I read by her was 'Jimi Hendrix Betrayed'.I came across 'Jimi Hendrix:The Intimate Story of a Betrayed Musical Legend'. Perhaps Herman refers to this one? I've not got around to this one yet.

dino77
07-05-10, 02:54 AM
I personally lean towards believing Sharon's story about the strange hippy girl because I think Jimi never would have been so foolish as to place a small bottle of heroin right in his suitcase prior to arriving at International Customs. Jimi also used this event as an example of Jeffery's deviousness. If Hendrix had spaced-out and forgotten the heroin in his suitcase I don't think he would have gone around telling people it was Jeffery.

Where's the source for this (ie where does it say Jimi accused Mike of a set-up), please? Not Curtis Knight's book, I presume ;).

I think Herman only means people here have accused Sharon of being a liar, a groupie etc. My impression is she is a decent person and was a good friend of Jimi's. Though the book is pretty bad and she glosses over the Toronto trial.

Herman Cherusken
07-05-10, 12:00 PM
Right, the only of Lawrence's books I have read is Jimi Hendrix: The Man, The Magic, The Truth (Pan Books 2006) and where I especially found the parts covering Dannemann interesting, from when she met her the day after Jimi's passing (p. 214-220), and her servile and slippery attempts to befriend Lawrence over the years (p. 251-252) and the final confrontation (p. 265-267).

Earlier in this thread some Rosenbaum, Fishbein or what the name his face is, is quoted from another site as to bring in the heavy artillery to discredit Lawrence. And it's mentioned that she mistook herself concerning Jimi's birthplace (oh man, that is some heavy flaw alright), and that she quotes people extensively about what she claims they said, and yadda yadda. If there's no more serious - and proven - accusations leveled at her than these minor issues, then they are missing the bigger pieces and the far more important aspects of her book. Im no expert, but if people want to bring down an author, I need way more coherent and substantial objections, what has been mentioned thus far is just silly. Sounds more as they don't like her as a person over what she actually writes...

Scrum Drum
07-05-10, 01:16 PM
Right, the only of Lawrence's books I have read is Jimi Hendrix: The Man, The Magic, The Truth (Pan Books 2006) and where I especially found the parts covering Dannemann interesting, from when she met her the day after Jimi's passing (p. 214-220), and her servile and slippery attempts to befriend Lawrence over the years (p. 251-252) and the final confrontation (p. 265-267).

Earlier in this thread some Rosenbaum, Fishbein or what the name his face is, is quoted from another site as to bring in the heavy artillery to discredit Lawrence. And it's mentioned that she mistook herself concerning Jimi's birthplace (oh man, that is some heavy flaw alright), and that she quotes people extensively about what she claims they said, and yadda yadda. If there's no more serious - and proven - accusations leveled at her than these minor issues, then they are missing the bigger pieces and the far more important aspects of her book. Im no expert, but if people want to bring down an author, I need way more coherent and substantial objections, what has been mentioned thus far is just silly. Sounds more as they don't like her as a person over what she actually writes...

Yeah, thanks, exactly. Thank you for showing some sound reasoning.

When people see "heavy artillery" being brought in to destroy otherwise benign, accidentally-gotten information they sense something is wrong. Bless you Herman. The heavy attackers are trying to hide something. When you see people trying to destroy someone's reputation outright by such trivial means it tells you they are interested in a lot more than just pedantic accuracy. The real question is can we dismiss Sharon Lawrence outright because she missed a few insignificant items like Jimi's place of birth or because she tried to sell a Hendrix pack of Marlboro's souvenir on the internet? Bless you Herman. The reason I bless you is because the people who do such dedicated and practiced character destruction are the very agencies that seek to cover-up evidence of their crimes. The destruction of Sharon Lawrence is right part in parcel with such psychological warfare programs of character destruction practiced by this group for obvious reasons. Where they expose themselves is sensible people realize there's information they haven't succeeded in discrediting. And the fact they aren't interested in recognizing it says a lot.

The correct answer is no matter how much some dark groups try to destroy Sharon Lawrence by any means, no matter how slight, her relationship to Jimi and the knowledge she possesses because of it doesn't change. So knowing this we have to ask why some people would be so grossly, disproportionately interested in destroying Sharon Lawrence? The way evidence works is that if exposing information existed in a pool of 99% bogus information, it would still be valid. They way to look at it is incriminating evidence is like hovering gas. All it takes is a spark to ignite it. And if Sharon Lawrence provided unique proof of Monika revealing something revealed nowhere else then there's your "spark".

If you read these threads you'll see that every single person who provided information on the murder evidence is somehow accused of some kind sinister motive like "cashing-in" or such. I'd like to ask these accusers if there's anybody out there who has witnessed or exposed the murder evidence who they consider has clean motives?

I feel sorry for Monika because she was sort of a Hendrix ambassador of sorts. I don't doubt that Jimi shared his cosmic stuff with her and may have even impressed upon her her responsibility to carry it on for both of them. The way I resolve this is Monika was either unconsciously programmed and wasn't aware of her involvement (this would explain her bizarre sticking with easily-disproven stories), or Monika got tricked into cooperating with Jeffery and was mostly innocent but didn't have the personal integrity to come forward and admit the truth.

I don't blame Sharon Lawrence for being repulsed by Monika, but the truth is she probably would have gotten much more incriminating information from her if she had befriended her and took her into her confidence.

Scrum Drum
07-05-10, 01:37 PM
Where's the source for this (ie where does it say Jimi accused Mike of a set-up), please? Not Curtis Knight's book, I presume ;).

I think Herman only means people here have accused Sharon of being a liar, a groupie etc. My impression is she is a decent person and was a good friend of Jimi's. Though the book is pretty bad and she glosses over the Toronto trial.

Hendrix's accusing Michael Jeffery of planting the heroin is well-known and isn't questioned by any Hendrix historians. I think time is moving on enough that people are getting away with asking for documented book references for otherwise well-known facts about Jimi.

The people who accuse Sharon Lawrence of being a liar and groupie are just outright ignoring Sharon Lawrence's documented and easily provable professional relationship to Jimi Hendrix as a UPI reporter as described in her book. Really, at this point I think the accusers should be the ones answering the questions here. They've tried everything including throwing the kitchen sink at Sharon Lawrence but her credentials and credibility still stand, at least in regard to what she remembers about Monika Dannemann - something burned into her memory by the strong emotions attached to it.

Rather than being required to produce documents and sources for persons who are otherwise just unknown internet posters shouldn't we be asking the accusers what right they have to question people who have otherwise fairly good credibility and were there at the time?

The question is would Jimi go around accusing Michael Jeffery of planting the heroin if he accidentally left it in his suitcase himself? And if we establish Jeffery planted the heroin how does that reflect on his relationship to Jimi and the accusations being made against him?

It makes sense that if Jeffery was willing to set Jimi up with a heroin bust, and then kidnap him, it would not be unreasonable that murder might be a strong possibility. After all, why let something like a confession get in the way?

Scrum Drum
07-05-10, 06:04 PM
Long on drama, woefully short on credibility, <NOBR>August 16, 2005</NOBR>
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>

</TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

While even the idle Hendrix fan knows Jimi was born in King County Hospital, (Now Harbor View) Lawrence states he was born at the home of a family friend.(Ouch) Jimi is quoted allegedly verbatum throughout the book but from some alledged tapes of interviews that no one has seen or heard and that Lawrence conveniently plans on destroying so 'no one can profit from them'.Meanwhile cigarette packs (yes, cigarette packs) and necklaces are being sold via ebay or to private collectors allegedly having belonged to Hendrix ,siting Ms. Lawrence as the previous owner and source of authenticity.

For all you know Sharon Lawrence may have given those cigarettes to someone as a prized gift and they put them up for sale on E-Bay. But even if it was Sharon Lawrence you never know what people might do if they get into dire financial circumstances. I have a feeling some of these accusers might be the first people running to Southeby's if they were the ones in possession of the Hendrix relics. So if Sharon Lawrence did give those to somebody as a cherished gift that would only prove her respect for Jimi and unwillingness to sell him out.

Sharon's book itself was a maternalistic attempt to treat Jimi with respect and as a human being and friend. I found it was a little short on all the unflattering facts surrounding Jimi, but her stated purpose was trying to write the only book about Hendrix that treated him as a person. I think she was trying to show a perspective that separated the naughty Hendrix who enjoyed some 60's excesses from the person she knew.

At one point she aledgedly quotes Hendrix as saying:

"The LSD passed around San Francisco was a fabulous discovery for me, I'd taken acid in London but...."

I have no doubt she got this directly from a Jimi who was trying minimize his bad habits. I don't think Sharon was out to provide a daily chart of Jimi's LSD use.

At one point Ms. Lawrence even offers an aledged quote from Hendrix's mother who passed away in 1958:

"Jimi baby" she told her son "I have to escape this"

Maybe Jimi heard this from Lucille when he was young? Maybe Jimi was just trying to dramatize it a little in his account of his mother as told to Sharon Lawrence? I don't see any major journalistic sins being committed here as far as what is important.

While quotes like this can illicit an emotional response
from the average reader,they are clearly fictional. Throughout the book people close to Jimi are referenced but very sparsely quoted, if at all. I shared the recount of Jimi's trip to Berkeley as a small child (Pg.5) with Jimi's aunt Delores and she laughed openly and wondered aloud where people come up with these stories. This from a woman who was actually there and involved in planning said trip. While making a reference to Ernestine Benson and misstakenly referring to her husband Cornel as "Bill" , Lawrence again allegedly quotes Hendrix in lieu of an actual interview with the Benson's who are both still living and have incredible first hand insights having lived with the Hendrix's.

There's no need to rake Sharon Lawrence over a fine-toothed comb on this stuff. She didn't set out to write a precise history of Jimi she set out to write her account of her experience of Jimi Hendrix from her unique perspective. Jimi's stay in Sacramento, or Berkeley was pretty much accurate. For all we know Lawrence was quoting Jimi's inaccuracies of what he related to her.

Lawrence's assertion that Hendrix committed suicide simply because his journal was left out is no less ridiculous than Jimi's adopted stepsister Janie's claim that Jimi didn't OD. Lawrence then stops just short of gleefully giving herself credit for Monika's suicide, but the jist is clear. This book is more than a bit narcissistic with Lawrence lauding herself as much as she does her subject. While proclaiming herself to be a close confident of Hendrix' the general consensus is that she wasn't around that much, if people even know who she is at all.

While I agree that Lawrence's assertion that Jimi committed suicide is ill-informed it doesn't give grounds for ignoring all her input.

Lawrence's motives for questioning Monika are clear. She thought Monika was negligent one way or the other and allowed Jimi to die through her negligence. Lawrence thought she helped prove Monika's negligence by getting her to reluctantly confess to washing 'sick' off Jimi's face with wine. Little did Ms Lawrence know she was helping uncover some critical evidence for murder. The thing about Goldman is I could apply his own attitude towards himself and criticize him for not realizing the serious implications of the wine confession. Let's not look at Sharon Lawrence's minor mistakes let's look at the serious things she reveals.

For a much more well researched and credible look into Jimi's life read Electric Gypsy or even more so , the new book Room Full Of Mirrors by Charles Cross. The Man, The Magic, The Truth, while very dramatic, is rife with glaring inaccuracies and is for the most part a novel about the author and her subject, not a biography or a reliable historical record. Unless these alledged tapes that are widely quoted throughout the entire book are made available, their legitimacy and the legitimacy of the book will forever be questioned.

Ray Rae Goldman
Archivist/Historian
James Marshall Hendrix Foundation

I think Goldman gets carried away and damages his own credibility because Sharon Lawrence did have a special relationship to Jimi Hendrix and what Goldman wrote in no way disproves it. I suspect he's a little too defensive and maybe even a little jealous of Ms Lawrence. And just because there are other better-researched and accurate biographies out there in no way does that mean that Sharon Lawrence should be prevented from writing a book about her unique relationship to Jimi Hendrix. Just oppositely of what Goldman suggests, my experience of Ms Lawrence's book is that I enjoyed reading it and gained a new perspective and new information on Hendrix from it. I'm glad I read it. What's really unjust here is Ms Lawrence's not releasing the tapes is probably a sign of her sincere respect for Jimi and not wanting to be another crude exploiter of an already exploited friend.

So if we get to the bottom of this whole Sharon Lawrence business, the main reason she was brought up was because she had the unique experience of being the only person who witnessed Monika Dannemann admitting she poured wine onto Jimi's face. This is significant because it happened right after Jimi's death and at a time well before the wine was ever considered in any murder controversy. The context under which it occurred was Sharon Lawrence was trying to get Monika to explain the excess wine witnessed at the murder scene. If you read Lawrence's passage it says Monika was stressed to the point of squealing and moaning over this and reluctantly admitted using wine to wash 'sick' off Jimi's face. Monika then said "why are you doing this to me?" and cut-off the subject.

From what I've gathered from the death scene Monika probably never had anything to do with the wine. I presently believe Monika wasn't even there when Jimi was waterboarded. I think the reason Monika said that was because she had to think up some excuse to placate Sharon Lawrence. And that's why Monika abruptly cut-off the conversation and changed the subject. So, yes, Ms Lawrence had flaws in her approach, but the flaw in this case was probably not realizing the true significance of what she had gotten out of Monika. Ms Lawrence thought she had exposed evidence of Monika's panicky incompetence and allowing Jimi to linger into death without helping him. What she didn't realize is she had coaxed-out some damning evidence of murder. Monika was well aware of the wine and its significance. She knew what the wine she had witnessed soaking Jimi meant. Her stressful moaning and squealing was because she knew she was being cornered on it. So she simply told Lawrence that she used the wine to wash a little 'sick' off Jimi's face. - A story that we've shown doesn't make sense according to the known death scene. Monika didn't wash any vomit from Jimi's face because if she had she would have kept going and cleaned Jimi off and tried to turn him over and clear his throat. No, the reason Monika didn't touch Jimi is because when she returned from her cigarette trip she saw a waterboarded and dead Hendrix. She knew he was dead. And she knew why. She then proceeded to concoct her cover story and call Burdon.

Monika Dannemann then either committed suicide or was 'suicided' shortly before being forced into the process that would have forced the truth out of her.

MourningStar
07-05-10, 11:37 PM
... Rather than being required to produce documents and sources for persons who are otherwise just unknown internet posters shouldn't we be asking the accusers what right they have to question people who have otherwise fairly good credibility and were there at the time?^ - :rolleyes:

You should re-think your strategy and apply this as a milk-run. Afterall, you can't even come up with the goods to satisfy your skeptical 'internet posters'. Win these little ones over first, then you 'might' have a chance with a court of law. :D

Yazid Manou
02-01-11, 10:17 AM
For all you know Sharon Lawrence may have given those cigarettes to someone as a prized gift and they put them up for sale on E-Bay.
I met Sharon several times in Paris back in 2002. She told me she gave fews things (from Hendrix) to so called friends without thinking they could sell those personal gifts later on...

I stopped my relation with Sharon Lawrence when her strange book was released.

YM