PDA

View Full Version : Jimi's show length.

Trotzkee
04-19-09, 11:32 PM
How long, on average, was a show in the sixties and early seventies? How did Jimi compare?

stplsd
04-20-09, 12:15 AM
Grateful Dead?

Trotzkee
04-20-09, 04:25 PM
This is a very, very simple question for many of you. Extremely lame.

thefrenchowl
04-20-09, 05:07 PM
Not to be confused, lenght vs intensity!!!

MourningStar
04-20-09, 07:25 PM
How long, on average, was a show in the sixties and early seventies?90-120 minutes.

How did Jimi compare?Average.

simple enough?

Trotzkee
04-20-09, 08:03 PM
Simple and fitting, thanks.

Roland Stone
04-20-09, 10:21 PM
Well I don't know the average length but I think I can tell you his shortest and longest shows. Off the top of my head, I'd say his shortest live show was probably Madison Square Gardens with the Band of Gypsies, (a night that will live in infamy!)

Longest show? Again off the top of my head, I'm guessing Woodstock!

What do you all think?

dino77
04-21-09, 12:21 AM
Well I don't know the average length but I think I can tell you his shortest and longest shows. Off the top of my head, I'd say his shortest live show was probably Madison Square Gardens with the Band of Gypsies, (a night that will live in infamy!)

Longest show? Again off the top of my head, I'm guessing Woodstock!

What do you all think?

I'd say the later shows are longer, probably as a result of jamming. The 1967-early 68 shows are generally pretty short, with compact renditions. 30-60 minutes. Late 68 shows-70 perhaps 50-80 minutes. With a few exceptions shows such as Woodstock, Isle of Wight and Royal Albert Hall, he seldom played longer than 80 minutes.

MourningStar
04-21-09, 12:40 AM
Simple and fitting, thanks.No problem. OH! and btw those are for the headliner acts, not for the openers.

stplsd
04-21-09, 09:43 AM
From the complete or very nearly complete tapes that we have it appears that he very seldom played much more than a few minutes over the hour, more often[?] less than an hour, until 1970. So I would think it averaged an hour up till 69 and then about 80 mins in 1970:
http://osiris.cs.kun.nl/~tvdw/pye/index.html

Woodstock 2 hours, Isle of Wight (nearly) 2 hours and Albert Hall 105 mins + were notable exceptions

scoutship
04-21-09, 11:46 AM
The Experience started out as a "singles" band, became an "album band" as trends in pop changed, noted by Mitch and much preferable to the group, this is reflected in work schedule etc. May have been a contributing factor to Chas's & Noel's frustrations with Jimi in the studio etc too.

Roland Stone
04-21-09, 04:21 PM
From the complete or very nearly complete tapes that we have it appears that he very seldom played much more than a few minutes over the hour, more often[?] less than an hour, until 1970. So I would think it averaged an hour up till 69 and then about 80 mins in 1970:
http://osiris.cs.kun.nl/~tvdw/pye/index.html

Woodstock 2 hours, Isle of Wight (nearly) 2 hours and Albert Hall 105 mins + were notable exceptions

What if you count shows where he played two separate sets? I think you'd have to add Rainbow Bridge to the list of longer shows if you count both sets.

MourningStar
04-21-09, 04:30 PM
Do not rely on the 'recorded' material to establish the length of a Hendrix concert. Hendrix took much time before the first tune (hello's, tuning, amp adjustments, etc.), more time again between tunes (more tuning, amp adjustments, pointing out girls w/yellow underwear, etc.) and also more time just rapping to the audience (especially those shows where security would stop the show in order for people to return to seats and other general near-riot stoppages), much of which is not captured (LA Forum 69, of which I attended, is a rare exception).

peace,

stplsd
04-21-09, 09:03 PM
What if you count shows where he played two separate sets? I think you'd have to add Rainbow Bridge to the list of longer shows if you count both sets.

Whatever. I think you'd need to add Rainbow Bridge to the list of the most bizarre episodes in Rock history really.