PDA

View Full Version : Glass Audio

Nonhuman
04-28-09, 08:17 AM
I am wondering, how many CTT members are vaccuum tube audio enthusiasts? I have always appreciated how the warm characteristics of tubes soothe alot of the audio imperfections of bootleg recordings. I think the fact that Hendrix played across tube gear is extremely important.

I'm not a musician however I understand that powering a tube unit with a variac "dialed in" to a minimal voltage can afford flexibility for overdriving the output and achieve some desired distortion effects. Call me nostalgic but I'm totally unconvinced that any digital processing will ever mimic tubes adequately. Tubes and transistors are simply different animals. My son is a guitarist and I plan on building some tube equipment to complement his music.

I would be pleased to hear from any enthusiasts willing to share discussion of their tube equipment, parts sources, pretty much anything you want to share. I especially would like to hear opinions or info on how you may be using tubes in your music as an artist. Any info on how you might achieve Hendrix type distortion effect/control particularily related to tube equipment would be received with great interest.

Have a wonderful day and a fabulous evening!

Nonhuman

MourningStar
04-28-09, 10:26 AM
First I have heard on this topic here at CTT. Might get more interaction at Steve Hoffman's forum.

Nonhuman
04-28-09, 01:50 PM
Thank you very much for the Hoffman's forum recommendation. I didn't know it existed!

Nonhuman