PDA

View Full Version : Jimi's concerts on Soundboards

univibs
05-02-09, 05:15 AM
what was the Idea ...
Jimi's concerts recorded on soundboards more then anyone else back then. what was the Idea behind it ?
and is there any news about the Woburn festival SBD recording, is she going to release it anytime soon ?

RobWats67
05-02-09, 06:30 AM
I wish I knew.

:confused:

purple jim
05-02-09, 08:31 AM
The tape was sold at Christies fairly recently to an unknown buyer. We sit and wait for it to appear.

stplsd
05-02-09, 12:55 PM
^
Yeah, thanks Caesar, not! Oh, and whatever happened to Wild thing from the 66 Paris Olympia then?

MourningStar
05-02-09, 02:29 PM
what was the Idea ...
Jimi's concerts recorded on soundboards more then anyone else back then. what was the Idea behind it ?I've not read anything 'official' regarding this but I have three hypothesis : (1) - They were done per Jimi/Chas/Mike specific instruction. (2) - They were randomly done by someone with the foresight that history was being recorded. (3) - A combination of (1) & (2). My $0.02.

peace,

Olompali
05-02-09, 05:57 PM
what was the Idea ...
Jimi's concerts recorded on soundboards more then anyone else back then.

I heard there were a few Grateful Dead soundboards recorded back then as well....
:wave:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/__MBlWvx9Cy8/SI99QFuVecI/AAAAAAAAAg8/xopytXTJrVk/s320/1968%2B05-05.jpg

MourningStar
05-02-09, 06:28 PM
I heard there were a few Grateful Dead soundboards recorded back then as well....who?

Chris M
05-04-09, 11:15 PM
what was the Idea ...
Jimi's concerts recorded on soundboards more then anyone else back then. what was the Idea behind it ?
and is there any news about the Woburn festival SBD recording, is she going to release it anytime soon ?

Keep in mind there are professional multitrack recordings that can be mixed (bring the drums up, vocals down, etc) and more crude SB's that are often just a copy of what is going out of the PA. There are quite a few professional multitrack recordings of Jimi shows but only a few SB's that have surfaced (San Fran '68, Newport, maybe a few others). Then there are shows that were broadcast on the radio (Stockholm '67, Paris '67 and '68).

stplsd
05-05-09, 06:08 PM
what was the Idea ...

Bob Dylan recorded a lot of his concerts from soundboard 65 -66 as well.
Then there was Cream there's a lot of their stuff from soundboard.
Etc etc
The idea would be to get a good live album. Which was supposedly mixed and delivered to Warners in 1969, but rejected in favour of the US Smash Hits release