PDA

View Full Version : Jimi in Hoepla translated in English

jimmyjames
05-07-09, 07:35 PM
Bussum, Vitus Studio, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Holland</st1:place></st1:City><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Recording for ‘Hoepla’ TV Show, Presented by Roselie Peters (RP)<o:p></o:p>
Dutch translation by Glenn Comes aka DenHaagNL [last bit not finished –yet.]<o:p></o:p>
<o:p>English transcript by RM </o:p>
[Eng = Engineer]<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
RP : Nu volgt het eerste optreden van Jimi Hendrix Experience vanavond in dit <o:p></o:p>
programma, u hoort ‘Foxy Lady’

[“Now follows the first performance of Jimi Hendrix Experience. Tonight in this program you’ll hear ‘Foxy Lady’]

1. FOXY LADY <o:p></o:p>

Now, you know you’re a cute little heart breaker<o:p></o:p>
(Foxy) <o:p></o:p>
And you know you’re a sweet little love maker <o:p></o:p>
(Foxy)<o:p></o:p>
Hey<o:p></o:p>
I’m gonna take you home<o:p></o:p>
I won’t do you no ha-arm, no<o:p></o:p>
Got to be all mine, all mine<o:p></o:p>
Ooh! foxy lady<o:p></o:p>
I see you, I’m down on the scene<o:p></o:p>
You make me, wanna get up and scream!.<o:p></o:p>
Hey<o:p></o:p>
I’ve made up my mind<o:p></o:p>
I’m tired of wastin’ all my, precious ti-ime, yeah<o:p></o:p>
You got to be all mine, all mine<o:p></o:p>
Foxy lady <o:p></o:p>
Yeah<o:p></o:p>
[solo]<o:p></o:p>
I’m gonna take you home<o:p></o:p>
I won’t do you no ha-arm, no <o:p></o:p>
You’ve got to be all mine, all mine<o:p></o:p>
Ooh! foxy lady<o:p></o:p>
You hear me comin’ towards you and all that good stuff ha-ha<o:p></o:p>
One, two, three <o:p></o:p>
Foxy lady yeah<o:p></o:p>
Ah you look so good <o:p></o:p>
Yeah <o:p></o:p>
[whispered] Excellent<o:p></o:p>
Mitch?: What’s happening? You know…<o:p></o:p>
Eng : Twentig seconden na nu [Twenty seconds after this]…<o:p></o:p>
RP : “Tot wel in augustus negentien-honderd-zesenzestig was Jimi Hendrix één onbekende gitaarist in Amerika. Hij verzorgde toen soulshows, ‘zo licht’ [or ‘solos ----?’]hij in. Toen kwamen er Londense ‘pop-jongens’ die hem ontdekten en meebrachten naar Engeland; alwaar hij vormde met Mitch Mitchmell [sic], drums and [sic] Noel Redding, bass The Jimi Hendrix Experience. Ze maakten zeer goede, wereldbekende hits als ‘Hey Joe’, ‘The Wind Cries Mary’ en ‘Purple Haze’. Ook hun LP deed veel bloed in vele aderen stollen. Hier is het eerste live tv-concert in Hoepla van Jimi Hendrix Ervaring…
[‘Experience’ is here translated into the Dutch ‘Ervaring’]…

[“Up until August ‘1966’ (‘nineteen hundred sixty six’), Jimi Hendrix was an unknown guitarist in <st1:country-region><st1:place>America</st1:place></st1:country-region>. He played in soul-shows, ‘as he informs’ [or ‘where he did the solos’]. Then along came some ‘popboys’ from London who discovered him and brought him over to England, where together with Mitch Mitchmell [sic], drums and Noel Redding, bass, he formed the ‘The Jimi Hendrix Experience’. They made very good, world famous hits like ‘Hey Joe', ‘The Wind Cries Mary’ and ‘Purple Haze’. Also their LP made a lot of ‘blood run cold’ (‘the blood freeze in a lot of veins’). Here is the first live TV concert on Hoepla from Jimi Hendrix Experience!] <o:p></o:p>

2. CATFISH BLUES *<o:p></o:p>

Well I wish, I was a catfish<o:p></o:p>
Swimmin’ i-in Lo-ord the deep blue sea<o:p></o:p>
I’d have-uh all you pretty women<o:p></o:p>
Fishin’ after me, fishin’ after me, fishin’ after me-e <o:p></o:p>
Yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah, woa yeah, woa yeah<o:p></o:p>
Well now, I went down, my girlfriend’s house<o:p></o:p>
And I sat down, Lo-ord, on her front step<o:p></o:p>
And she said “Come in now Jimi”<o:p></o:p>
My husband just now left.<o:p></o:p>
Had just now left<o:p></o:p>
Woa yeah, woa yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah<o:p></o:p>
[Solo]<o:p></o:p>
Well there’s two, two trains runnin’<o:p></o:p>
But there’s now none, Lord, is goin’ my way<o:p></o:p>
You know, there’s-uh one train runnin’ at midnight <o:p></o:p>
Other one, leave just ‘fore da-ay, leave just ‘fore day<o:p></o:p>
Oh, well, oh well, woa yeah, woa yeah<o:p></o:p>
[Drum solo]<o:p></o:p>
* [first two verses from Muddy Waters ‘Rollin’ Stone’ , last from his ‘Still A Fool’ both songs are themselves variations of other blues songs] <o:p></o:p>
Eng: [Tape cut]…seconden na nu […seconds after this] <o:p></o:p>
[Feedback intro]<o:p></o:p>
Jimi : Seventy seven…<o:p></o:p>
… One, two, three, four…<o:p></o:p>
3. PURPLE HAZE [False start] <o:p></o:p>

Jimi : …Okay, one more time, uh have to do it again, my guitar got out of tune, huh, if you don’t mind? [tuning etc.]… Okay, here we go, we’ll try one more time<o:p></o:p>
Eng : Oké…Ehh, [cough] jongens-ehh, is de Ampex doorgelopen? Ampex. Oké. Ahh, wat aftellen? Oké <o:p></o:p>
[Okay… Eh, [cough] boys, did the Ampex keep rollin’? Ampex. Okay. Ahh, what, count off? Okay]<o:p></o:p>
Noel?: I bet she’s decent<o:p></o:p>
Jimi : Huh?... Again ha-ha [feedback intro]… One, two, three, four…<o:p></o:p>
4. PURPLE HAZE [First take. Backing vocal - Noel]<o:p></o:p>

Purple haze all in my brain<o:p></o:p>
Lately things don’t seem the same<o:p></o:p>
I’m actin’ funny, but I don’t know why<o:p></o:p>
‘Scuse me while I kiss this guy<o:p></o:p>
Purple ha-ha-haze all around <o:p></o:p>
Don’t know if I’m comin’ up or down<o:p></o:p>
Am I happy or in misery?<o:p></o:p>
Whatever it is, that girl put a spell on me <o:p></o:p>
Help me baby<o:p></o:p>
(Ooh aah, ooh aah, ooh aah, ooh aah) <o:p></o:p>
Purple haze all in my brain-ha-eyes<o:p></o:p>
Don’t know if it’s-uh day or night.<o:p></o:p>
You’ve got me blowin’, blowin’ my mind.<o:p></o:p>
Is it-uh tomorrow or just the end of time?<o:p></o:p>
No, help me baby<o:p></o:p>
Yea-eah, purple haze<o:p></o:p>
(Purple haze)<o:p></o:p>
Oh, baby you got me around here blowin’ your mind <o:p></o:p>
Not necessarily stoned but-uh beautiful<o:p></o:p>
(Ooh aah, ooh aah, ooh aah) <o:p></o:p>
Engineer: Na [me?].Twintig seconden, na nu [After ….?. Twenty seconds after this]<o:p></o:p>
Jimi: …One, two, three, four…<o:p></o:p>
5. PURPLE HAZE [Second take. Backing vocal - Noel]<o:p></o:p>

Purple haze all in my brain<o:p></o:p>
Lately things just don’t seem the same<o:p></o:p>
I’m actin’ funny, but I don’t know why<o:p></o:p>
‘Scuse me while I kiss the sky<o:p></o:p>
Purple ha-ha-haze all around <o:p></o:p>
Don’t know if I’m comin’ up or down<o:p></o:p>
Am I happy or in misery?<o:p></o:p>
Whatever it is, that girl put a spell on me <o:p></o:p>
Help me baby… yeah<o:p></o:p>
Purple haze all in my eyes<o:p></o:p>
Don’t know if it’s-uh day or night.<o:p></o:p>
You’ve got me blowin’<o:p></o:p>
(Aah ooh, aah ooh, aah) <o:p></o:p>
Eng: [Not?]na nu […? after this]<o:p></o:p>
RP : Hoepla hap no chaen?? Nederland’s super pop geneven lede hooch gene vas onome [B]pochoma optreden. Tok keri lootising?? musik for Nederlands macarae it is an improvisatie group geinspireerd India’s musik [?]<o:p></o:p>

[Hoelpa............. Nederland's super pop.......... performance.... music for Nederland's improvisation group.... India's music]

jerry1970
05-08-09, 02:03 AM
Never thought of translating these bits and pieces, but I will help where possible. It's hilarious trying to read this! :) I'll have to listen to the recording myself, as I can't make anything out of the phonetic transcription! :) Except "optraden", which is spelled as "optreden" and means "performance". I presume "improvishatse" should be "improvisatie" meaning "improvisation".

More later, I'll have a listen.

Jerry

jimmyjames
05-08-09, 03:36 AM
I will help where possible.

Now that would be wonderful

It's hilarious trying to read this! :)

I hope you mean the purple bits?

I'll have to listen to the recording myself, as I can't make anything out of the phonetic transcription! :)

I just put the purple gobbledygook in as a guide as to what needed translating from the recording, hoping some generous soul, like yourself, might have a listen and finish it off.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Except "optraden", which is spelled as "optreden" and means "performance". I presume "improvishatse" should be "improvisatie" meaning "improvisation".

See, you've made a start already! I'll stick those two in now, only fourteen words left to go. I'm surprised I got quite close to those two, I don't know any Dutch at all.

More later, I'll have a listen.
Jerry

That would be nice, well worth a listen again anyway, especially Catfish Blues

jerry1970
05-08-09, 07:30 AM
You're right, the recording is very sweet. It's short, but I've burnt it to a CDR on its own, because it's such a great set just by itself.

I meant the purple bits are hilarious - not the rest! ;) Mind you, the sentences that are mixed Dutch and English need re-writing, because some bits are translated literally, and won't make sense when the whole paragraph has been translated. Don't worry, I'll rewrite whole sentences. Dutch is my first language, English my second - I should be able to do it. ;) Anyway, I assume you already were aware of this because of the question marks in the text.

It's great to have this in a forum like this, where it will be kept also for future visitors!

Jerry

stplsd
05-08-09, 09:33 AM
You're right, the recording is very sweet. It's short, but I've burnt it to a CDR on its own, because it's such a great set just by itself.

I meant the purple bits are hilarious - not the rest! ;) Mind you, the sentences that are mixed Dutch and English need re-writing, because some bits are translated literally, and won't make sense when the whole paragraph has been translated. Don't worry, I'll rewrite whole sentences. Dutch is my first language, English my second - I should be able to do it. ;) Anyway, I assume you already were aware of this because of the question marks in the text.

It's great to have this in a forum like this, where it will be kept also for future visitors!

Jerry

I though it would be nice for someone to translate this little gem, as there cannot be just too many Dutch speaking Hendrix fans out there, and I know how well the Dutch in general speak English (which acually contains very many Dutch words, as our history's are very closely linked)

I don't supose you know any German speaking fans who might like to translate the German portions of that other little gem the 'Twenclub' broadcast from Hamburg, The presenter sounds very up-tight so it's quite an amusing one that, I think. Jimi certainly did!

Again I've just filled in the unknown German with phonetic sounds as a guide to what needs to be listened to and properly transcribed and translated. See below

stplsd
05-08-09, 09:54 AM
<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:date Month="3" Day="18" Year="1967">Saturday 18 March 1967</st1:date><?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><o:p></o:p>
<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://crosstowntorrents.org/ /><st1:date Month=Saturday 18 March 1967</st1:date>ffice:office" /><st1:State><st1:place>Hamburg</st1:place></st1:State>, NDR Funkhaus [Radio House], <st1:country-region><ST1:place>West Germany</ST1:place></st1:country-region><O:p></O:p>
[NDR = Nord Deutsche Rundfunk – ‘North German Radio’]<O:p></O:p>
Recording for ‘Twen Club’ [Teenage Club]. Jimi obviously finds the very up-tight presenter very funny.

<O:p></O:p>
Joachin: Well, people in <st1:country-region><ST1:place>England</ST1:place></st1:country-region> know him, so I can tell something about him in German. Jimi Hendrix der wunderman aus Amerika [the “wonder-man” from <st1:country-region><ST1:place>America</ST1:place></st1:country-region>] den gastcort zehn seide en <st1:country-region><ST1:place>England </ST1:place></st1:country-region>eine ka ger gemacht, ei dender Beatles und ‘Rolling Stones’ gleischkunt und der este. Hiere este schallplatte waugleiche und hit und had zu forty‘ Rolling Stones’ von der hit list fur drenkt ‘Hey Joe’ drei siehr einich von ewelensee ken. […. In <st1:country-region><ST1:place>England</ST1:place></st1:country-region>…..the Beatles and Rolling Stones …… record….. Rolling Stones… Hey Joe….]
Well Jimi we’ll just tell the people the story about ‘Hey Joe’, what happens in this song?

Jimi : And so then, yeah, after she, after he shoots him then-hee-hee he has to run out of town you know, go to Mexico where he can be free

Joachin: Aye Jah zu nei ganst teiglische geschiste von eine mann der dei frau eschiste walse betrochen hat made us comme cha holfiger port. Sonn dietsch…Jetztader bass guitarist Noel heir neben bei on den kanischste

Jimi : Ha-ha-ha

Joachin: En Kanada eine gese Deutsch wagen wielange sei deite zusammen, Noel? [In <st1:country-region><ST1:place>Canada</ST1:place></st1:country-region>….. German…. altogether Noel?]

Noel : Oh, ich, wir spielen zusammen fur vier monat, or vier month en ausland
[Oh, I, we are playing for four months altogether, or four months in foreign countries]..

Joachin: Vier monat donschaun ober uhm das ist aller dinks en nei ganst zemming except if your plane, if it de tukumpft [Four months……over.....]

Noel : Oh um, nichsavoken in <st1:country-region><ST1:place>England</ST1:place></st1:country-region> wir machen um, television und den wirmachen on tour mit ‘The Walker Brothers’ und den nachschragen und<st1:country-region><ST1:place>France</ST1:place></st1:country-region> und den filoish nacht Amerika [Oh, um, …. In <st1:country-region><ST1:place>England</ST1:place></st1:country-region> we’re doing, um, television and then we’re going on tour with ‘The Walker Brothers’ and then …. and <st1:country-region><ST1:place>France</ST1:place></st1:country-region> and then …. <st1:country-region><ST1:place>America</ST1:place></st1:country-region>]

Joachin: Ei au und heirs idea jetzt um ‘Star Club’ zu drei tage lang?
[…..now in the ’Star Club’ for three days?]

Noel : Jah, wir spielen bei Sonntag
[Yes, we’re playing until Sunday]
FOXY LADY
HEY JOE
STONE FREE

Joachin: Dis Norte Deutschen Rundfunks en <st1:State><ST1:place>Hamburg</ST1:place></st1:State>, fur die Damen und Herren [This is North German Radio in <st1:State><ST1:place>Hamburg</ST1:place></st1:State>, for Ladies and Gentlemen…] hier links forname podium spiel werk gleichen langsam walzer.[……]

FIRE

Noel: Danke schön, danke schön Thank you, thank you,]<o:p></o:p>

Jimi : Danke schön, baby [Thank you, baby]<o:p></o:p>

Noel: Um, jetzt wir spielen, um, der neu schallpllatte from oish is called um ‘Purple
Haze’ [Um, now we’ll play um, the new record from us, it’s called um, Purple
Haze]und um ich me sagt das the-um de schlagzeuger from oish has letze jahre
spielen mit ‘Georgie Fame’ fur eine jahre [and um, I-me say that the-um, the
percussionist from us has the year before this played with ‘Georgie Fame’ for
one year]<o:p></o:p>