PDA

View Full Version : If Stranded On A Tropical Island ...

MourningStar
05-07-09, 11:17 PM
... and you could only have 1 Jimi album.
(please reveal your mind and justify)

my choice :

Are You Experienced? - this is the one that 'changed' my mind
and pushes more memories to the surface than all the others. The
well known phrase 'altered states' is given definition with this one.

peace

Jimi_Uchihaeyez
05-08-09, 01:51 AM
Isle of Wight.

The Isle of Wight show (mainly the version of machine gun and hey baby) started the jimi craze for me. All around it was great great set to me. Everything seemed to flow, even amist the tech. difficultys. Probably was'nt as "awe inspiring" as monterey or woodstock but Jimi's Music was farther evolved at the time of IOW and even though he probably was'nt in the best mood and his equiptment were failing he still pulled off a great set.

thefrenchowl
05-08-09, 02:08 AM
Hum, Maybe I was in another dimmension at the Isle of Wight!!! I cringed at the time, and still do when I listen -rarely- to the CDs...

Agree with MS, Are You Exp for me...

Patrick

dino77
05-08-09, 02:17 AM
"Electric Ladyland". It has everything - jazz, blues, acid rock, heavy rock, soul, avant garde, funk, english pop.

"Are you EXP" is of course essential, but I've never really gotten an "album feel" from it. Perhaps because I heard it in bits and pieces before I bought it. Tracks on compilations etc.

purple jim
05-08-09, 03:36 AM
"Electric Ladyland" for me.The greatest album of all time. Isle Of Wight would the absolute last on my list !

stplsd
05-08-09, 04:56 AM
Got to be Ladyland, apart from it being his best, there's so many places for your mind to roam, although mine wouldn't be venturing into Noel territory for long.

Ayler
05-08-09, 06:08 AM
Electric Ladyland - don't forget it's twice as long as ARE or Axis!
Or the RAH show?

Papi
05-08-09, 07:10 AM
Electric Ladyland for me:000-thanx:, it was THE album that turned me into, not only to Hendrix but in music and it's magic has not vanished in 41 years I've been listening to it. I remember the first time I listened to solo on "Come On" with earphones, still got the chills down my spine :)

stplsd
05-08-09, 08:18 AM
I remember the first time I listened to solo on "Come On" with earphones, still got the chills down my spine :)

For me it was voodoo chile (long jam) - that 1st long, lunar note vibrated right through me! and that was on a mono stacker system dansette portable!

I like Isle of wight too, but in a different way, more of an epic struggle against his demons, just managing to passify them at the end - for the time being.

MourningStar
05-08-09, 10:33 AM
Isle of Wight.That one was special to me, in that it had the first live '...Watchtower' I ever heard. I had the initial european Polydor vinyl and just loved the 'echo' on the Jimi's line "...there's too much confusion!" Anybody else notice that?

peace,

63strat
05-09-09, 02:37 PM
Guess I would default to Electric Ladyland myself...However I wouldn't mind if a copy of Axis washed up on shore one day. Is that allowed or would I have to give it back to the Gods? Axis has them all as far as artwork. The cover is the coolest of all time. But aside from that I thought the songwriting was awesome. Little Wing,Castles Made Of Sand,Spanish Castle Magic,If 6 Was 9.

Doron
05-13-09, 11:37 AM
Isle of Wight.

The Isle of Wight show (mainly the version of machine gun and hey baby) started the jimi craze for me. All around it was great great set to me. Everything seemed to flow, even amist the tech. difficultys. Probably was'nt as "awe inspiring" as monterey or woodstock but Jimi's Music was farther evolved at the time of IOW and even though he probably was'nt in the best mood and his equiptment were failing he still pulled off a great set.

very romantic. May I ask which release did you listen to?

As for myself, I'd go with the live at Atlanta, cos in live situation I get something hendrix didn't always capture in the studio. Stream of conciousness in the playing, and spontaniety. mabe it's a little the same thing.

souldoggie
05-13-09, 12:03 PM
Axis: Bold As Love.
One Rainy Wish and Little Wing and Castles Made Of Sand and Up From The Skies and Wait Until Tomorrow just seem so precious and beautiful to me, as if they were pieces of fine porcelian that could easily break apart in a child's hand. And then the other songs on the LP are just so powerful and mind blowing.
Anyway, put me down for Axis on my tropical island.

purple jim
05-13-09, 01:46 PM
…just loved the 'echo' on the Jimi's line "...there's too much confusion!" Anybody else notice that?

Yeah, that is a poignant and powerful moment. You're not kidding Jimi.