PDA

View Full Version : Billy Gibbons

Ayler
05-16-09, 05:13 AM
With The Moving Sidewalks you released an album and several singles, and achieved the status of local heroes in Texas. You also supported The Doors, and even Jimi Hendrix on his first US tour. Jimi once said on live television that you were Americaís best guitar player. He even gave you his pink Strat as gift, since he considered it too good to be burned. Tell us about your time with Jimi.

When we were supporting Jimi, I was sitting in my hotel room one night and practiced a little. Then this dude stuck his head through the door ó it was Jimi Hendrix! I felt paralyzed and speechless. He grabbed my guitar, laid down on the floor, looked at the ceiling and played some unbelievable licks, before asking whether I could do stuff like this, too ó and then he even stepped it up a notch. Afterwards he showed me some tricks. I learned a lot from him.

Thereís another night I will never forget. After a show somewhere we were so full of adrenalin still that no one could sleep. Back then, there was no curfew at the venues, which meant you could stay as long as you wanted. It mustíve been 3 a.m. Jimiís Marshall stacks were still up on-stage, when one of his roadies brought huge sheets of paper, buckets of fluorescent color and two cleaning mops. The paper was hung as a backdrop, the cleaning mops were stuck onto two guitars. Jimi plugged in and went into a furious sound and feedback assault. Again and again he dipped his guitar in the fluorescent color and ecstatically smeared it on the paper. He told me to try it too, and thatís what I did. We played until we were dizzy. That was all so bizarre, and you could feel the energy. Needless to say we didnít get anymore sleep that night.

Source: http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/the-man-behind-the-beard-501/

Any reliable source(s) from that Hendrix quote about Gibbons and/or that strat thing???

scoutship
05-16-09, 10:10 AM
Any reliable source(s) from that Hendrix quote about Gibbons

Ah, this just came up on a completely different discussion board a couple months ago, don't have link at hand but to paraphrase, what was actually said was that the host asked Jimi who the new up and coming young guitar players might be who we should know about, if any, and Jimi said that Billy was one; he did NOT say BG was "the" best or anything like that.

stplsd
05-16-09, 10:35 AM
The whole thing including the pink strat just sounds like a load of bollocks, Yeah, the Moving Sidewalks supported Jimi on his first US tour in 1968, but only at 4 venues in Texas along with another band Neal Ford & the Fanatics. The Sidewalks also managed to get A photo taken backstage with Hendrix at one gig.

Nonhuman
05-16-09, 11:06 AM
I remember reading about the BG sponge stuff in ''Scuse me while I kiss the sky". Too many years ago to recall much else about it.

Nonhuman

Ayler
05-16-09, 11:44 AM
Ah, this just came up on a completely different discussion board a couple months ago, don't have link at hand but to paraphrase, what was actually said was that the host asked Jimi who the new up and coming young guitar players might be who we should know about, if any, and Jimi said that Billy was one; he did NOT say BG was "the" best or anything like that.

I remember that too. Does the audio from that interview exist?

stplsd
05-16-09, 01:13 PM
I remember that too. Does the audio from that interview exist?

Now that would be interesting