PDA

View Full Version : Woodstock movie- any good?

stplsd
05-17-09, 10:06 PM
#1 Santana #2 Hendrix close finish at #3Richie Havens - rest, nothing to write home about?

purple jim
05-18-09, 03:17 AM
The Who, Joe Cocker and Sly were OK for me.

deek57
05-18-09, 12:17 PM
Everything with the exeption of Queen Joan Baez (efin awful) and Sha Na Na.........Watched it yesterday (The Directors Cut & The Woodstock Diaries) Brilliant........Also watched the Jimi Woodstock Blu-Ray, Obviously excellent........Well it was raining all day. so i felt justified in having a day on my backside mellowing out with a few spliffs............Sheer bliss.

stplsd
05-18-09, 12:30 PM
Also watched the Jimi Woodstock Blu-Ray, Obviously excellent.

How does the blu-ray compare to normal DVD?

kcox5342
05-18-09, 12:32 PM
Arlo Guthrie's "Coming Into Los Angeles" is awesome, and not just because it's the marijuana montage. CSN, for only their second gig, are pretty amazingly together. But I've always wondered, why is The Dead left off of both Woodstock and Monterey - even the extended cut of the former and the 3DVD box of the latter? I'm not a huge deadhead but their absence from both projects seems odd to say the least.

Abe Simpson: "Boo! BOO!!! BRING ON SHA-NA-NA!!!!!"

purple jim
05-18-09, 04:02 PM
I think it's because the Dead sound generally shoddy on most live recordings. You really have to sift through a lot of sloppy stuff to find something really good with the Dead. All that "Dick's Picks" series - not much in there seems to be as well defined as the regular cherry picked releases (Live Dead, Skull Fuck, Europe 72, Reckoning, Dead Set,…).
Was the Woodstock set any good ?

deek57
05-18-09, 06:35 PM
How does the blu-ray compare to normal DVD?

Sharper picture awsome sound plus you can watch the black & white footage pcture in picture with the main footage.

ilovejimi
05-18-09, 07:32 PM
Next month is the release of the 40 anniversary Woodstock edition- includes a third disc of additonal footage- some tampering by Eddie Kramer. The directors cut is the same (first two disc) but with better sound and a cleaned up footage).
Richie Havens, Joan Baez and Tom- if i were a carpender, blow ASS:bartmoon:as well as Shanana oh and the backup singer on Joe Cockers Little Help from my friends (good god mix that guy out) Notice John Densmore of the Doors on far part of the stage. For me: The WHO, SLY, JIMI were the tops (cant wait for the mail to bring me The Who Black White 55 minute set). I wish Neil young would have allowed the Electric set of CSNY to be filmed. I think the concert would have been better had Pink Floyd, Zepp, Jethro Tull,Stones.:wave: Beatles and the Doors had showed up.:)

ilovejimi
05-18-09, 07:49 PM
<TABLE class=tborder id=post3522495 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0 itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR vAlign=top itxtvisited="1"><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_3522495 itxtvisited="1">FULL DESCRIPTION OF 18 BONUS PERFORMANCES (3rd bonus disc comming next month celebrating the 40 anniversary at Woodstock) (First 2 disc of 3 feature the original directors cut- cleaned up and enhanced sound)
· Joan Baez “One Day at a Time”
· Country Joe McDonald “Flying High”
· Santana “Evil Ways” (lots of overdubbing- musicians brought in)
· Canned Heat “I’m Her Man” and “On the Road Again”
· Mountain “Beside the Sea” and “Southbound Train”
· Grateful Dead “Turn On Your Love Light”
· Creedence Clearwater Revival “Born on the Bayou”, “I’ve Put a Spell on You” and
“Keep on Chooglin’”
· The Who “We’re Not Going To Take It” and “My Generation”
· Jefferson Airplane “3/5 of a Mile in 10 Seconds”
· Joe Cocker “Something’s Coming On”
· Johnny Winter “Mean Town Blues”
· Paul Butterfield “Morning Sunrise”
· Sha Na Na “Teen Angel”

FULL DESCRIPTION OF
WOODSTOCK FROM FESTIVAL TO FEATURE

· The Camera: The Éclair NPR was the best camera around in 1969; Michael Wadleigh talks about why the Éclair was the right camera for this film.
· 365,000 Feet of Film: The stories of how Dale Bell and his crew begged, borrowed and stole just enough film to document the festival.
· Shooting Stage: Those up-close shots of performers didn’t just happen by magic; see how Wadleigh and his cameramen got those up close and personal shots of the performers.
· The Line Up: The Who, Sha Na Na, Santana, Ten Years After, Jefferson Airplane and many more; how did all these bands get on the roster for the festival of a life time?
· Holding the Negative Hostage: What does a filmmaker do when Technicolor is sending a copy of your negative to the studio without your permission? Well, you lock up the film and hire a lawyer.
· Announcements: “Don’t take the brown acid” or maybe it was green. We’ll hear about all the strange and informative announcements heard during those three days of peace, love and enlightenment.
· Suits VS. Longhairs: The clash between the hippie filmmakers and the Warner executives who didn’t understand what this film meant.
· Documenting History: Find out from Michael Wadleigh and Dale Bell, along with filmmakers, where the idea of capturing this event on film came from.
· Woodstock: The Journey: Some came by car, others by truck, a few came by helicopter but most walked to the most famous festival in history.
· Pre-Production: We’ll find out how this production got off the ground and meet the members of the crew that made it happen.
· Production: How many cameras were used? How much film did they go through? Did anyone sleep? All these questions and more will be answered here as we explore how Woodstock was captured on film.
· Synchronization: How do you sync all this material with out any slates? No slate, no problem. With the help of an upright Moviola, Dale Bell, Michael Wadleigh, Eddie Kramer and the editors were able to make magic from miles of tape and film.
· The Crowd: Half a million people of all colors, shapes, sizes, ages and sexes attended this historical event. We’ll hear stories about the number of people and how they all coexisted for three days with only minor incidents.
· No Rain! No Rain!: Everyone talks about the rain at this event as if it were a character. It was. It set the tone, provided moments of danger, fun and disgust.
· 3 Days in a Truck: Eddie Kramer heard some of the most amazing performances as he recorded this historic event. But during those three days of peace, love and music, he didn’t get to see any performances because he was stuck in a truck.
· Woodstock Effect: The film, the event and the album catapulted many musicians into the limelight, changing their lives forever.
· Living up to Idealism
· World’s Longest Optical
· Critical Acclaim
· Courtesy of The Museum at Bethel Woods: The Hog Farm Commune
· Hugh Hefner and Michael Wadleigh: The Woodstock Connection<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
<!-- / message -->
</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD class=alt2 vAlign=bottom itxtvisited="1">http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/images/relivo/buttons/offline.png http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/images/relivo/buttons/quote.png (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/private.php?do=newpm&postid=3522495) http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/images/relivo/buttons/ticket.png (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/vbsupport.php) </TD><TD class=alt1 align=right itxtvisited="1"><!-- controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

ilovejimi
05-18-09, 08:02 PM
Regading the Who Bonus tracks: “We’re Not Going To Take It” and “My Generation”. Were not Ging to Take It is already featured on the original Directors cut- maybe its additional footage or camera angles or even the wrong song title. My Generation is from the Woodstock Diaries. I wonder where the rest of the Who stuff is,:confused: Probally hiddend away just as Jimis set was.

MourningStar
05-19-09, 12:12 AM
Joan Baez - right up there w/Dylan, but with better pipes.

peace,

Chris M
05-19-09, 12:38 AM
Regading the Who Bonus tracks: “We’re Not Going To Take It” and “My Generation”. Were not Ging to Take It is already featured on the original Directors cut- maybe its additional footage or camera angles or even the wrong song title. My Generation is from the Woodstock Diaries. I wonder where the rest of the Who stuff is,:confused: Probally hiddend away just as Jimis set was.

No, the pro shot film of We’re Not Going To Take It has never turned up anywhere. Not on official release or bootleg. See Me, Feel Me has but not We’re Not Going To Take It. The Amazon bonus disc will have much more of Sparks than what has been released. Most of the Who set wasn't filmed by the main crew. Just Amazing Journey/Sparks, Pinball Wizard (on Kids Are Alright), We’re Not Going To Take It/See Me Feel Me, half of Shakin' All Over, Summertime Blues and My Generation. The (I think 2 person) crew with the b&w video (not 16MM color like the main crew) captured much more.

The plan was just to film a few songs from each band. Towards the end the crew saved film for Jimi's set.

Chris M
05-19-09, 12:42 AM
..some tampering by Eddie Kramer..

Carlos wouldn't let them use Evil Ways unless some of the rhythm guitar and percussion was overdubbed. What do you do?

Chris M
05-19-09, 03:24 AM
If anyone is thinking about buying this I would wait. Amazon will have an exclusive bonus disc and is listing their bonus cuts as the Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, and Country Joe and the Fish. Target is supposed to have a bonus disc with different performances. I strongly recommending waiting until Target announces their tracklist before pre-ordering. Pretty sure it will appeal to us more..

purple jim
05-19-09, 07:24 AM
Carlos wouldn't let them use Evil Ways unless some of the rhythm guitar and percussion was overdubbed. What do you do?

If that is blocking its release then I'd get Carlos in to do the guitar parts himself. Maybe I would take care of percussion.

Chris M
05-19-09, 09:13 AM
If that is blocking its release then I'd get Carlos in to do the guitar parts himself. Maybe I would take care of percussion.

He did. Carlos overdubbed the rhythm gtr and they got the original guy and the other guy's song to overdub the percussion. This is just for Evil Ways.

ilovejimi
05-19-09, 10:39 PM
I strongly recommending waiting until Target announces their tracklist before pre-ordering. Pretty sure it will appeal to us more..

thank you Chris- :wave:

ilovejimi
05-20-09, 02:42 PM
I heard the 3 extra bonus songs that Amazon is putting out on a special 4 th disc is are the same 3 songs that Target will offer-- I hope this is wrong because the more footage the better. Anyone know for sure?:wave:

I heard VH1 is putting out a doc Making Woodstock to air in August and will also be put out on DVD.:bananasmile:

oh by the way- Sly stone/Family and Santana will have a double cd (audio) of their sets released next month-- not sure why they need 2 cds apeice- I dont recall the complete sets being that long.:homer1:

Roland Stone
05-20-09, 04:28 PM
You guys are making me mad. I absolutely LOVE the Grease Band backup vocals on "With a Little Help From My Friends" and I also enjoy the Sha-Na-Na segment (probably more for its dynamic film editing than the music itself).

But certainly wouldn't mind if they cut Joan Baez out of the movie completely. And I will absolutely buy the new edition if only to have Alan "Blind Owl" Wilson's harmonica playing on "I'm Her Man".

By the way, Jimi's favorite performance in the movie was said to be Ten Years After's "Goin Home". Jimi felt that Lee "upstaged" him with that performance. Personally I thought it was way too long and boring.

purple jim
05-20-09, 04:49 PM
Personally I thought it was way too long and boring.

Absolutely. It's dreadful. One of the worst moments of the film (with Joan Baez).

stplsd
05-20-09, 05:11 PM
^
Have to be honest, loved, the Who, Joe Cocker, Baez too

ilovejimi
05-20-09, 08:36 PM
Absolutely. It's dreadful. One of the worst moments of the film (with Joan Baez). Perfectly stated- Joan Baez is just a waste of my time:wave: I would also add Quill and The Incredible String Band to the list.

Does anyone know where i can find torrents for:The Creation of the Woodstock 1969 Music Festival and Woodstock Lost performances. I had both of these on VHS back in the '90s but they eventually were ruined. :confused:

MourningStar
05-20-09, 11:50 PM
Did not make it back east in '69 but, as one who saw the initial, original theatrical release many many moons ago, all the post-hi tech whatevers in the world can never replace the sights & sounds (AND scents) of that magical initial viewing. I also attended the opening of "Monterey Pop" at the CineramaDome(?) on Sunset Strip and vividly remember the crowd roar in unison at the first sight of the painted Strat. Movies like this are best enjoyed in the theatre surrounded by your friends and a whole bunch of like-minded fans. The comaraderie shared is the next best thing to having been there. I suggest y'all get the movie, set a date and invite all your friends and parTAY!

"We love you Joe Hill"!,

Chris M
05-21-09, 01:43 AM
I heard the 3 extra bonus songs that Amazon is putting out on a special 4 th disc is are the same 3 songs that Target will offer-- I hope this is wrong because the more footage the better. Anyone know for sure?

Unless something changed at the very last minute Target will have different tracks on their bonus disc. I urge everyone to wait until Target announces their bonus tracks before ordering..

purple jim
05-21-09, 04:03 AM
…vividly remember the crowd roar in unison at the first sight of the painted Strat.

Yes, I remember seeing the film in 1970 in the cinema and the cheers as Jimi and Janis' names came up in the title sequence. Once you had seen Jimi doing "Wild Thing", that was it, you wouldn't see it again for years, unless it came up on TV exceptionnally at something like 11.30 at night.

ilovejimi
06-03-09, 06:20 PM
http://docs.google.com/View?docID=dd6hwpw8_1856c34395fw&revision=_latest

Target will indeed be issuing exclusive performances by Jimi, the Who and Canned Heat. (I have no idea of the song names). Take a look at the Target advertisment which says NEVER BEFORE SEEN PERFORMANCES BY JIMI HENDRIX... I wonder what they are talking about since EH has released his set-- perhaps different camera angles-- certainly I cant believe Master Mind or Gypsy Woman would be offered (I dont believe these were even filmed)-- lets wait and see. I plan to buy the target version- hopefully i can find the Amazon bonus disc (3 different songs than the Target version) on a torrent site somewhere. The Container canister looks cool- top looks like a tamborine/conga/bongo . :happyboy7hq: A 10 disc audio set will also be offered featuring these acts only: Janis, Sly Family, Jefferson Airplane, Santana and J. WInter- cost is 100 dollars:wave:

ilovejimi
06-03-09, 06:24 PM
Unless something changed at the very last minute Target will have different tracks on their bonus disc. I urge everyone to wait until Target announces their bonus tracks before ordering..
Im happy to say that you are correct :wave:

Crdx
06-04-09, 03:36 AM
Canned Heat were great at Woodstock as well. Cool that they're releasing some footage from 'em, since there's not much early Canned Heat footage around.

yelapavision
06-04-09, 12:14 PM
I've seen the original film many times, used to go see it at those late night Midnight Movie showings here in Portland (boy those stoner theaters sure were smokey). Back in those days, the two parts I disliked the most were the Joan Baez and Sha Na Na segments. WEll, now that I'm kind of an old guy, I really like those two segments! Joan Baez has the voice of an angel, like it or not, and one hell of a set of pipes. She could sing the phone book and make it sound like a heavenly quire. Sha Na Na, well those guys are die-hard 50's rock and roll fans, I used to think their whole act was a joke, but they're serious musicians it turns out. Now I think their version of At The Hop really rocks.

My current vote for Worst Performance At Woodstock is Arlo Guthrie. His version of Coming Into Los Angeles is really, really bad. Guy looks like he can barely stand up, he's so wasted.

Mike

purple jim
06-04-09, 02:18 PM
He seemed to be a bit of a big head too.

stplsd
06-04-09, 04:45 PM
I loved Arlo's song (version?), expressing the high of getting one over on "the man" and the then relatively newly affordable joy of international flight. He looked comfortable and in tune with the audience, the moment, and fit as a fiddle to me.

stplsd
06-04-09, 05:19 PM
Canned Heat were great at Woodstock as well. Cool that they're releasing some footage from 'em, since there's not much early Canned Heat footage around.

What a leap from Monterey, well, I suppose you could say that about everyone, but they were our gang's favourite in Glasgow and saw them there twice, and once in the Raith ballroom Kirkaldy (a couple of Zeps turned up in a Rolls), all very memorable gigs, they just were, they knew we knew (about Owl, love, politics, bevvy, drugs etc.) but they & we just wanted to boogie! & spread the love. Even when drink/drug "challenged" (one small university gig in Glasgow) they were IT! Fife with 'Stone the Crows' - mASSIVE! Kirkaldy was a skinheed toon, funny (and a relief) to see the ones at the concert all smiles, dancing, and obviously 'loved up' - aceeeed! [microdot]
Just watchin the Woodstock vid when the random guy jumps up and hugs 'The Bear', no probs-love, just like Kircaldy, but there everyone was on the stage dancing- special, skinheeds too- to end up - but respect space for the musicians- we all felt to get close and some of 'Stone the Crows' (the big Scottish [Glasgow] band at the time ["support" actually 'Stars of the show') came back on and jammed, the stage was seething, no bouncers, no roadies, just 'love thugs' havin' a boogie (kick yer heed in the morrow) and the musicians on a high. Close to the last time anyone would hear guitarist Les Harvey playing his soaring lead with Maggie Bell's voice combined through a unique rotating Lesley speaker type set up. He was electrocuted by touching a badly earthed mic, shortly after aged only 27 - just when they were on the start of their major UK breakthrough (all the media, record sales)
It does appear that his younger brother's untimely death was the spur for the original Scottish rocker Alex Harvey - of 'Alex Harvey's Big Roll Band' fame (support for the Beatles) and actor: 'Hair' the musical - to go for it again and create the 'Sensational Alex Harvey Band ' who became mega in the UK, Ireland, the Antipodes etc. and one of the most popular touring bands in Europa (despite Alex's version of 'I was framed' (Scottish sarcasm: "Aye, right" [as if]) where he appeared dressed as Adolph behind a prison wall which he breaks out of, but making VERY clear he is an anti facist/racist/vandal/thug shortly as the character 'Vambo' who lectures his audience from his large prominent 'Book' [bible] on his exaggerated lectern [preacher] during 'Faith Healer' (actually mainly aimed at Glasgow youth who appeared to fall for Alex's moral lecture offensive - for a time). At the height of his fame he left the band and started afresh with a new group only to succumb to a quick series of heart attacks at the early age of 47.
Biblical: 3 score years and 10.
Weegie: 3 score if you're (very) lucky.

stplsd
06-04-09, 06:06 PM
Janis all too painfully should have rubber-eared the grasping money boys and stayed with the most excellent Big Bro. A lesson for those who think "progressing" means just being able to play/shriek faster, higher with more diddley diddley "hey, I'm a member of the professional "musicians" elite club", no! you're a dull feck, get a bow-tie and play shit supper clubs. this band and her next stunk, just like balding comb-over, suit with flared trousers (USA-pants [titter]) band Chicago and, ooh! cringe! Blood Sweat & Tears ouch! Miles, Alan douglarsehole - I'm superior, "really Jimi you have to learn to read music, tut-tut" up there own arses types etc.

stplsd
06-04-09, 07:08 PM
Sly's sound in the film is a disappointingly narrow, angular, not funky, messy mix and positioned in the film right after Santana's superbly recorded and mixed clip, obviously raises suspicions of SF music politics especially taking into account the fact that his wife ran off with Carlos Santana - Bill Graham's protege, around the time of the film's release. The sound on the day was hopefully much better, either that or despite the PA/desk problems he and the Family Stone's exuberant groove won the crowd over

stplsd
06-04-09, 07:17 PM
He seemed to be a bit of a big head too.

Or just comfortably familiar with his peers, maybe?

vahurka
06-04-09, 07:33 PM
For me the worst is Sha Na Na of course!

stplsd
06-04-09, 07:34 PM
Guy looks like he can barely stand up, he's so wasted.

On the first day he coolly sings a great song of his own composition to a great reception and conveys clearly, and again in a cool manner to the unknowing audience how massive this event has quickly become, following up with at least three other songs. "So wasted" it's tragic really?

stplsd
06-04-09, 08:08 PM
For me the worst is Sha Na Na of course!

Sha-Na-Na (my team all thought they were great, always room for R&R sp with humour) were obviously popular in the "Hendrix" camp as Larry Lee points out in the Woodstock video and I'm certain Jimi mentions them favourably somewhere at this time. 1969 was the year when there was a "rock and roll revival", and many in the the general media & music biz publicly aknowledged the musical roots of the then current 'Acid' 'Anti Vietnam War' 'Hippie' 'Druggie' 'Student' 'European' music "phenomenon" IT WAS JUST ROCK AND ROLL ALL ALONG, DUH! DIdn't Jimi get there first? -Come on Pt 1 . But did the Stones ever stop! He produced the Cat Mother rock and Roll revival hit single, never mind Vietnam, assasination, global awareness. It's all just so much Rolling Stone mag bull. I remember: "Ooh rolling stone it's American!" but it was very quickly discovered to be just pish. Now I find out that the crap "commercial" "fan-mags" supposedly not hip? mags like 'Hit Parader' had all the real low-down from the beginning. Not to mention the misconception that USA (and Brit) girl teen mags were neccessarily more frivolous, Jimi often spoke his mind to 'Teenset' in the US and 'Jackie' (a teen girls mag in UK) and other very popular but non-music press outlets, especially on his feelings about controversial political/band subjects.

ilovejimi
06-08-09, 06:11 PM
I found out this info today regarding Hendrix only. Song Spanish Castle Magic is featured on the 4th bonus disc (Target store only). The song certainly has already been released on the Experience Hendrix label-- however it was explained to me that the video presented on the bonus disc features different camera angleshttp://longliverock.org/downloads/images/smilies/yes.gif. I still do not know the other songs presented by The Who and Canned heathttp://longliverock.org/downloads/images/smilies/angry.gif.

Crdx
06-09-09, 05:04 AM
I found out this info today regarding Hendrix only. Song Spanish Castle Magic is featured on the 4th bonus disc (Target store only). The song certainly has already been released on the Experience Hendrix label-- however it was explained to me that the video presented on the bonus disc features different camera angleshttp://longliverock.org/downloads/images/smilies/yes.gif. I still do not know the other songs presented by The Who and Canned heathttp://longliverock.org/downloads/images/smilies/angry.gif.

I read that Canned Heat's songs will be I'm Her Man and On The Road Again. I'm looking forward to seeing these. I'm Her Man is really great because there's (as far as I know) no footage of this song being performed in existence. The version of On The Road Again is an 11 minute jam with much more boogie-feeling than the regular performed, more intimate, rendition (it has appeared in bad quality on bootlegs). From the trailer of this 40th anniversary edition I noticed that Bob Hite is playing the harp on On The Road Again, instead of Alan Wilsonl! So interesting stuff..

ilovejimi
06-09-09, 02:45 PM
I Wish the entire sets (film and audio) were released of The Band and 10 Years after:bang:

ilovejimi
06-09-09, 03:12 PM
I read that Canned Heat's songs will be I'm Her Man and On The Road Again. I'm looking forward to seeing these. I'm Her Man is really great because there's (as far as I know) no footage of this song being performed in existence. The version of On The Road Again is an 11 minute jam with much more boogie-feeling than the regular performed, more intimate, rendition (it has appeared in bad quality on bootlegs). From the trailer of this 40th anniversary edition I noticed that Bob Hite is playing the harp on On The Road Again, instead of Alan Wilsonl! So interesting stuff..

Yes this is true as it is found on the bonus disc number 3. Im looking for the info regarding the 4th (bonus) disc which is a TARGET exclusive (store in the USA) that features another Cannned Heat song, along with another WHO song (now belived to be Sparks) as well as the Spanish Castle Magic by Jimi (different camera angles):homer1: Someone told me that Canned Heats set (audio) was release on the 10 year anniversary (worth looking into)

ilovejimi
06-09-09, 03:17 PM
Rhino records is releaseing AUDIO of 6 disc of all kinds of WOODSTOCK stuff

WOODSTOCK–40 YEARS ON: BACK TO YASGUR’S FARM Track Listing:
Disc 1
1. “Handsome Johnny” - Richie Havens
2. “Freedom (Motherless Child)” - Richie Havens
3. “Choppity Choppity” - John Morris
4. “Look Out” - Sweetwater
5. “Two Worlds” - Sweetwater *
6. “Jennifer” - Bert Sommer *
7. “And When It’s Over” - Bert Sommer *
8. “Smile” - Bert Sommer *
9. “There Goes Marilyn!” - John Morris
10. “Hang On To A Dream” - Tim Hardin *
11. “Simple Song Of Freedom” - Tim Hardin *
12. “Flat Blue Acid” - John Morris
13. “Raga Puriya-Dhanashri/Gat In Sawarital” - Ravi Shankar *
14. “Momma Momma” - Melanie *
15. “Beautiful People” - Melanie
16. “Birthday Of The Sun” - Melanie
17. “Coming Into Los Angeles” - Arlo Guthrie ***
18. “Wheel Of Fortune” - Arlo Guthrie *
19. “Every Hand In The Land” - Arlo Guthrie *
20. “All You Funny People”- John Morris
Disc 2
1. “Joe Hill”- Joan Baez
2. “Sweet Sir Galahad” - Joan Baez
3. “Hickory Wind” - Joan Baez *
4. “Drug Store Truck Drivin’ Man” - Joan Baez w/Jeffrey Shurtleff
5. “Bring Scully His Asthma Pills” - John Morris
6. “Insulin” & Quill Intro - John Morris
7. “They Live The Life” - Quill *
8. “That’s How I Eat” - Quill *
9. “I Understand Your Wife Is Having A Baby” -Chip Monck
10. “Donovan’s Reef” - Country Joe McDonald *
11. “The ‘Fish’ Cheer”/”I-Feel-Like-I’m-Fixin’-To-Die Rag” - Country Joe
McDonald
12. “Persuasion” - Santana
13. “Soul Sacrifice” - Santana
14. “How Have You Been” - John B. Sebastian
15. “Rainbows All Over Your Blues” - John B. Sebastian
16. “I Had A Dream” - John B. Sebastian
17. “The Letter” - Incredible String Band *
18. “When You Find Out Who You Are” - Incredible String Band *
19. “She Is Lost”- Chip Monck
Disc 3
1. “We’re In Pretty Good Shape” - Chip Monck
2. “Going Up The Country” - Canned Heat
3. “Woodstock Boogie” - Canned Heat **
4. “The Brown Acid Is Not Specifically Too Good” - Chip Monck
5. “Blood Of The Sun” - Mountain ***
6. “Theme For An Imaginary Western” - Mountain ***
7. “For Yasgur’s Farm” - Mountain *
8. “For Those Of You Who Have Partaken Of The Green Acid” - Chip Monck
9. “Green Acid Advice” - Jerry Garcia & Country Joe McDonald
10. “Dark Star” - Grateful Dead *
11. “Green River”- Creedence Clearwater Revival
12. “Bad Moon Rising” - Creedence Clearwater Revival *
13. “I Put A Spell On You” - Creedence Clearwater Revival
Disc 4
1. “Work Me, Lord” - Janis Joplin
2. “Ball And Chain” - Janis Joplin
3. Medley: “Dance To The Music”/”Music Lover”/”I Want To Take You
Higher”- Sly & The Family Stone
4. “The Politics Of The Situation” - Abbie Hoffman
5. “Amazing Journey” - The Who *
6. “Pinball Wizard” - The Who *
7. Abbie Hoffman vs. Pete Townshend
8. “We’re Not Gonna Take It” - The Who **
9. “The Other Side Of This Life” - Jefferson Airplane *
10. “Somebody To Love” - Jefferson Airplane
11. “Won’t You Try”/ “Saturday Afternoon” - Jefferson Airplane
12. “We Got A Whole Lot Of Orange” - Grace Slick
13. “Volunteers” - Jefferson Airplane
14. “Breakfast In Bed For 400,000″ -Wavy Gravy
15. “It Just Keeps Goin’”- John Morris
16. Max Yasgur Speaks
Disc 5
1. “Feelin’ Alright” - Joe Cocker *
2. “Let’s Go Get Stoned” - Joe Cocker
3. “With A Little Help From My Friends” - Joe Cocker
4. The Rainstorm
5. “Rock & Soul Music” - Country Joe & The Fish
6. “Love” - Country Joe & The Fish *
7. “Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine” - Country Joe & The Fish *
8. “Summer Dresses”- Country Joe & The Fish *
9. “Silver and Gold”- Country Joe & The Fish *
10. “Rock & Soul Music” (Reprise) - Country Joe & The Fish *
11. “Leland Mississippi Blues” - Johnny Winter *
12. “Mean Town Blues” - Johnny Winter
13. “You’ve Made Me So Very Happy” - Blood Sweat & Tears *
Disc 6
1. “Suite: Judy Blue Eyes” - Crosby Stills & Nash
2. “Guinnevere” - Crosby Stills & Nash
3. “Marrakesh Express” - Crosby Stills & Nash
4. “4 + 20″ - Crosby Stills & Nash
5. “Sea Of Madness” - Crosby Stills Nash & Young
6. “Wooden Ships” - Crosby Stills Nash & Young
7. “No Amount Of Loving” - The Butterfield Blues Band *
8. “Love March” - The Butterfield Blues Band
9. “Everything’s Gonna Be Alright” - The Butterfield Blues Band
10. “Get A Job” - Sha Na Na *
11. “At The Hop” - Sha Na Na
12. “Get A Job” (Reprise) - Sha Na Na *
13. “The Star Spangled Banner” - Jimi Hendrix
“Purple Haze” - Jimi Hendrix
“Woodstock Improvisation” - Jimi Hendrix
14. “Woodstock Farewell” - Chip Monck
*Previously Unissued = never before released
**Previously Unissued Full-Length Version = previously released on a
Woodstock title in edited form.
***Previously Unissued Woodstock Recording = presenting the actual
Woodstock performances here for the first time

ilovejimi
06-09-09, 06:14 PM
Last piece of the Target 4th disc includes (Video) Canned Heat"Woodstock Boogie" 8:37m

Crdx
06-10-09, 04:42 AM
Last piece of the Target 4th disc includes (Video) Canned Heat"Woodstock Boogie" 8:37m

Ooh this is great! :)

Interesting once again though. Because the Woodstock Boogie has been released on the Woodstock Two album, however it was in edited form. There is also some footage available, taken from outtakes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V55FfDnkQ6o). The album version is about 13 minutes, however it does not feature Al's slide intro and I believe is cut up during the song as well. The outtakes clip only shows the first four minutes of the (uncut) song.

I really hope that 6cd set will feature the complete uncut song, it says it does. With the ** behind the title and all. Will be cool.

With that in mind, I wonder where does 8 minuts of footage from Target will go. First 8 minutes of the song? Cut up? Interesting... 40 year old treasures :)

Crdx
06-10-09, 04:51 AM
Someone told me that Canned Heats set (audio) was release on the 10 year anniversary (worth looking into)

I believe this person is mistaken. In 1979 (On Woodstock's 10th anniversary) Canned Heat got together a good band and performed a recorded set with Hollywood Fats on the guitar. This is a widely circulated (and pretty good) performance, and just a short while before the death of Bob Hite. However I, and so do many others, believe that the band itself died when the Blind Owl passed away in september 1970.

That's what makes Woodstock footage of Canned Heat so great and valuable, the Blind Owl was still there.

Peace :)

Edit: Allright! Check this out: http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/woodstock-box-set-unearths-famous-festival-1003980787.story

30 minute Woodstock Boogie :bang:

deek57
06-10-09, 11:23 AM
Rhino records is releaseing AUDIO of 6 disc of all kinds of WOODSTOCK stuff

WOODSTOCK–40 YEARS ON: BACK TO YASGUR’S FARM Track Listing:
Disc 1
1. “Handsome Johnny” - Richie Havens
2. “Freedom (Motherless Child)” - Richie Havens
3. “Choppity Choppity” - John Morris
4. “Look Out” - Sweetwater
5. “Two Worlds” - Sweetwater *
6. “Jennifer” - Bert Sommer *
7. “And When It’s Over” - Bert Sommer *
8. “Smile” - Bert Sommer *
9. “There Goes Marilyn!” - John Morris
10. “Hang On To A Dream” - Tim Hardin *
11. “Simple Song Of Freedom” - Tim Hardin *
12. “Flat Blue Acid” - John Morris
13. “Raga Puriya-Dhanashri/Gat In Sawarital” - Ravi Shankar *
14. “Momma Momma” - Melanie *
15. “Beautiful People” - Melanie
16. “Birthday Of The Sun” - Melanie
17. “Coming Into Los Angeles” - Arlo Guthrie ***
18. “Wheel Of Fortune” - Arlo Guthrie *
19. “Every Hand In The Land” - Arlo Guthrie *
20. “All You Funny People”- John Morris
Disc 2
1. “Joe Hill”- Joan Baez
2. “Sweet Sir Galahad” - Joan Baez
3. “Hickory Wind” - Joan Baez *
4. “Drug Store Truck Drivin’ Man” - Joan Baez w/Jeffrey Shurtleff
5. “Bring Scully His Asthma Pills” - John Morris
6. “Insulin” & Quill Intro - John Morris
7. “They Live The Life” - Quill *
8. “That’s How I Eat” - Quill *
9. “I Understand Your Wife Is Having A Baby” -Chip Monck
10. “Donovan’s Reef” - Country Joe McDonald *
11. “The ‘Fish’ Cheer”/”I-Feel-Like-I’m-Fixin’-To-Die Rag” - Country Joe
McDonald
12. “Persuasion” - Santana
13. “Soul Sacrifice” - Santana
14. “How Have You Been” - John B. Sebastian
15. “Rainbows All Over Your Blues” - John B. Sebastian
16. “I Had A Dream” - John B. Sebastian
17. “The Letter” - Incredible String Band *
18. “When You Find Out Who You Are” - Incredible String Band *
19. “She Is Lost”- Chip Monck
Disc 3
1. “We’re In Pretty Good Shape” - Chip Monck
2. “Going Up The Country” - Canned Heat
3. “Woodstock Boogie” - Canned Heat **
4. “The Brown Acid Is Not Specifically Too Good” - Chip Monck
5. “Blood Of The Sun” - Mountain ***
6. “Theme For An Imaginary Western” - Mountain ***
7. “For Yasgur’s Farm” - Mountain *
8. “For Those Of You Who Have Partaken Of The Green Acid” - Chip Monck
9. “Green Acid Advice” - Jerry Garcia & Country Joe McDonald
10. “Dark Star” - Grateful Dead *
11. “Green River”- Creedence Clearwater Revival
12. “Bad Moon Rising” - Creedence Clearwater Revival *
13. “I Put A Spell On You” - Creedence Clearwater Revival
Disc 4
1. “Work Me, Lord” - Janis Joplin
2. “Ball And Chain” - Janis Joplin
3. Medley: “Dance To The Music”/”Music Lover”/”I Want To Take You
Higher”- Sly & The Family Stone
4. “The Politics Of The Situation” - Abbie Hoffman
5. “Amazing Journey” - The Who *
6. “Pinball Wizard” - The Who *
7. Abbie Hoffman vs. Pete Townshend
8. “We’re Not Gonna Take It” - The Who **
9. “The Other Side Of This Life” - Jefferson Airplane *
10. “Somebody To Love” - Jefferson Airplane
11. “Won’t You Try”/ “Saturday Afternoon” - Jefferson Airplane
12. “We Got A Whole Lot Of Orange” - Grace Slick
13. “Volunteers” - Jefferson Airplane
14. “Breakfast In Bed For 400,000″ -Wavy Gravy
15. “It Just Keeps Goin’”- John Morris
16. Max Yasgur Speaks
Disc 5
1. “Feelin’ Alright” - Joe Cocker *
2. “Let’s Go Get Stoned” - Joe Cocker
3. “With A Little Help From My Friends” - Joe Cocker
4. The Rainstorm
5. “Rock & Soul Music” - Country Joe & The Fish
6. “Love” - Country Joe & The Fish *
7. “Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine” - Country Joe & The Fish *
8. “Summer Dresses”- Country Joe & The Fish *
9. “Silver and Gold”- Country Joe & The Fish *
10. “Rock & Soul Music” (Reprise) - Country Joe & The Fish *
11. “Leland Mississippi Blues” - Johnny Winter *
12. “Mean Town Blues” - Johnny Winter
13. “You’ve Made Me So Very Happy” - Blood Sweat & Tears *
Disc 6
1. “Suite: Judy Blue Eyes” - Crosby Stills & Nash
2. “Guinnevere” - Crosby Stills & Nash
3. “Marrakesh Express” - Crosby Stills & Nash
4. “4 + 20″ - Crosby Stills & Nash
5. “Sea Of Madness” - Crosby Stills Nash & Young
6. “Wooden Ships” - Crosby Stills Nash & Young
7. “No Amount Of Loving” - The Butterfield Blues Band *
8. “Love March” - The Butterfield Blues Band
9. “Everything’s Gonna Be Alright” - The Butterfield Blues Band
10. “Get A Job” - Sha Na Na *
11. “At The Hop” - Sha Na Na
12. “Get A Job” (Reprise) - Sha Na Na *
13. “The Star Spangled Banner” - Jimi Hendrix
“Purple Haze” - Jimi Hendrix
“Woodstock Improvisation” - Jimi Hendrix
14. “Woodstock Farewell” - Chip Monck
*Previously Unissued = never before released
**Previously Unissued Full-Length Version = previously released on a
Woodstock title in edited form.
***Previously Unissued Woodstock Recording = presenting the actual
Woodstock performances here for the first time

Whey hey ....2 songs from QUILL......I love their album.

deek57
06-12-09, 12:04 PM
If anyone is thinking about buying this I would wait. Amazon will have an exclusive bonus disc and is listing their bonus cuts as the Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, and Country Joe and the Fish. Target is supposed to have a bonus disc with different performances. I strongly recommending waiting until Target announces their tracklist before pre-ordering. Pretty sure it will appeal to us more..

All these cuts are on the Blu-Ray version.....Picture and sound quality is outstanding many times better than the DVD.

Chris M
06-12-09, 03:15 PM
All these cuts are on the Blu-Ray version.....Picture and sound quality is outstanding many times better than the DVD.

Target and Amazon have different bonus tracks. Target is the only place to get SCM with alternate angles. I told you guys to wait before preordering!

MourningStar
06-12-09, 03:50 PM
I told you guys to wait before preordering!I'll wait 'till a combined compilation appears on the Demon or Pirate.

;)

ilovejimi
06-12-09, 03:55 PM
Target and Amazon have different bonus tracks. Target is the only place to get SCM with alternate angles. I told you guys to wait before preordering!
I appreciate the heads up- I still havent bought anything. Is it true the BluRay set at Target includes all 6 tracks on the 4th disc (3 Target and 3 from Amazon)? Im now trying to figure out if the Blu Ray is that much better, then perhaps I need to buy a BluRay player (Walmart $128.00)--but since I have a CRT (Tube Tv) its my understanding the BluRay player wont work- anyone know if this is true?:wave:

Crdx
06-12-09, 06:20 PM
I'll wait 'till a combined compilation appears on the Demon or Pirate.
;)

Word up. Confused why there's no torrent of the new DVDs out there yet.

deek57
06-13-09, 06:18 AM

The insert to the Blu-Ray i have states that Canned Heat-Woodstock Boogie, The Who-Sparks, Hendrix-SCM are exclusive to this version....Further to that there are 4 featurettes..Reflections of an Era, A Farm in Bethel, Cinematic Revolution and Woodstock Generation are also exclusive to this version...There is no restoration feature (as seen on the Amazon website)....So maybe for the 50th anniversary version we'll get brought together all the bonus features that are on the versions that are exclusive to the likes of Amazon, Target and whoever else has their own exclusive clips.

ilovejimi
06-15-09, 07:09 PM
I just bought the Target 4 DVD discs edition-- I didnt want to wait since its a limited edition. Anyone wanna trade their Amazon Disc 4 for my Target disc 4? By the way if you buy the 2 disc Audio set- Target gives you a third audio cd bonus disc.:wave:

1. Bert Sommer - Jennifer
2. Tim Hardin - Misty Roses
3. Melanie - Beautiful People
4. Arlo Guthrie - Wheel Of Fortune
5. Joan Baez - Hickory Wind
6. Santana - Persuasion
7. Mountain - Theme From An Imaginary Western
8. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Green River
9. Janis Joplin - Ball And Chain
10. Jefferson Airplane - Somebody To Love
11. Jefferson Airplane - White Rabbit
12. Crosby, Stills & Nash - Marrakesh Express
13. Sha Na Na - Get A Job
14. Jimi Hendrix - Izabella :)

Crdx
06-16-09, 04:14 AM
I just bought the Target 4 DVD discs edition-- I didnt want to wait since its a limited edition. Anyone wanna trade their Amazon Disc 4 for my Target disc 4? By the way if you buy the 2 disc Audio set- Target gives you a third audio cd bonus disc.:wave:

1. Bert Sommer - Jennifer
2. Tim Hardin - Misty Roses
3. Melanie - Beautiful People
4. Arlo Guthrie - Wheel Of Fortune
5. Joan Baez - Hickory Wind
6. Santana - Persuasion
7. Mountain - Theme From An Imaginary Western
8. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Green River
9. Janis Joplin - Ball And Chain
10. Jefferson Airplane - Somebody To Love
11. Jefferson Airplane - White Rabbit
12. Crosby, Stills & Nash - Marrakesh Express
13. Sha Na Na - Get A Job 14. Jimi Hendrix - Izabella :)

Sweet! Can you tell us how long Canned Heat's Woodstock Boogie is on Target's bonus disc?

ilovejimi
06-16-09, 06:24 PM
Sweet! Can you tell us how long Canned Heat's Woodstock Boogie is on Target's bonus disc?
"Woodstock Boogie" 8:37m

I understand the Audio set to be put out by Rhino has a 30 minute version:bananasmile:

Crdx
06-17-09, 07:48 AM
"Woodstock Boogie" 8:37m

I understand the Audio set to be put out by Rhino has a 30 minute version:bananasmile:

Thanks for confirming :) Was mentioned earlier here in the topic but I wanted to be sure =)

Too bad they didn't film/release the entire boogie with video, but 8 minutes of 'golden age' Canned Heat is still fantastic.

I guess I can't convince you to upload the 18 extra performances disc and the Target bonus disc somewhere, can I? :beer: Can't believe no one's put it on the net yet!

karsten
06-17-09, 08:22 AM
To think that a man sitting in a trailer recording on two borrowed muddy eight-track reel-to-reel recorders 40 years ago would create so much hype today is just crazy.
Those tapes must be about worn out from 40 years of special editions :-)

MourningStar
06-17-09, 12:05 PM
Can't believe no one's put it on the net yet!give it time, it'll show up (they always do).

peace,

ilovejimi
06-17-09, 06:42 PM
the 10 disc (Audio) set featuring Santana, Janis,Jefferson Airplane and Sly will be released at the end of this month. The Rhino set (audio) will be released on Aug 18.-- the torrent on these will be delayed at least until released officially

ilovejimi
06-17-09, 08:32 PM
http://quicksilverscreen.com/watch?video=44984 Woodstock The Lost Performances from vhs 1990

deek57
06-18-09, 12:46 PM
http://quicksilverscreen.com/watch?video=44984 Woodstock The Lost Performances from vhs 1990

Thanx for that.....Nice one ilovejimi.

RasFreeman
07-02-09, 11:35 PM
If anyones wants it the Amazon 4 disc collection is now on Demonoid.
http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/1977762/10110378/
It's big over 18gb, but worth the wait. I got the Target version,
so I might check this out. The "unreleased" Spanish Castle Magic
on the target disc is basically the same as the other versions with
more shots of the rest of the band and crowd shots.

Peace & Love,
Ras Freeman

deek57
07-04-09, 07:42 AM
If anyones wants it the Amazon 4 disc collection is now on Demonoid.
http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/1977762/10110378/
It's big over 18gb, but worth the wait. I got the Target version,
so I might check this out. The "unreleased" Spanish Castle Magic

Peace & Love,
Ras Freeman

Checked this out (the Amazon bonus disc).Thank you.............It's all on the Blu-Ray.

Chris M
07-04-09, 06:00 PM
The "unreleased" Spanish Castle Magic

I wouldn't say it is basically the same as most of the angles are different. Most of the close up shots of Jimi during the first half are different.

- we see Jimi sing most of the first 2 verses and the funny face he pulls as he mock inhales a joint before the "as we travel by my dragonfly" line. You can also see a helicopter fly by behind the stage during the verses.

- the new angle shows Jimi playing the start of the first solo.

- one of the new angles shows a fairly bulky reel to reel player in the mud close to the stage. I wonder where that tape is today?

- the new close up shots reveal that there were a ton of people on stage.

deek57
07-05-09, 06:43 AM
I wouldn't say it is basically the same as most of the angles are different. Most of the close up shots of Jimi during the first half are different.

- we see Jimi sing most of the first 2 verses and the funny face he pulls as he mock inhales a joint before the "as we travel by my dragonfly" line. You can also see a helicopter fly by behind the stage during the verses.

- the new angle shows Jimi playing the start of the first solo.

- one of the new angles shows a fairly bulky reel to reel player in the mud close to the stage. I wonder where that tape is today?

- the new close up shots reveal that there were a ton of people on stage.

Same as the Blu-Ray then...........So the 3 tracks on the Amazon bonus disc And the 3 tracks on the Target disc ARE all on the Blu-Ray. But as far as i can tell the Amazon Website does have an exclusive - The audio restoration clip - now that's not on either the B-R or the Amazon bonus disc.................In conclusion the Blu-Ray IS the one to get.

Sharpstat
12-29-09, 11:39 PM
Sharper picture awsome sound plus you can watch the black & white footage pcture in picture with the main footage.

Jimi Hendrix live at Woodstock Blu Ray

The DVD and the Blu Ray have the same B&W footage. In comparison the DTS MA soundtrack is of course hotter than the standard 5.1 track. Meaning it's going to sound louder when played back. The footage considering how old it is is relatively good.The video is slightly sharper but my complaint on this transfer is whomever did the telecine (transfer) of the film failed to correct the colour on Jimi's headband. It's an orange tint in the movie but from every photo I've seen including the few that I purchased from Allan Koss several years ago it's more of a pink tint to it! It also doesn't show up as orange on the standard DVD release. No edge enhancement used in transfering and the aspect ratio is shot at 1:43 pillarbox. You'll have black bars around your screen when played back. Sound quality is better than the standard DTS track but not by much. There's no way to improve audio on such an old recording very much. If you own a Blu Ray player you owe it to add this to your collection.

manfree
01-02-10, 05:10 PM
Check out G`ovt Mule New year concert at The Beacon. Very nice Woodstock Tribute Bt.Etree for info.