PDA

View Full Version : The Blue Flame (aka Jimmy James & The Blue Flames)

Ayler
05-23-09, 04:23 AM
Here's a Randy California interview about that time:
http://www.bostream.nu/johanb/spirit/blfl.htm

[Edit] also here: http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthread.php?t=1066

From Steven Roby website:
Page 57: Bruce Gary (former Are You Experienced? Ltd. producer) via email:
"Randy California never had any tapes of his days with The Blue Flames. I know this for a fact. I went through Randy's entire tape cartel and found nothing of that kind. I also remember Randy telling me how much he wished he had a record of those times. David Lee Roth's uncle (Manny Roth) has been rumored to have all the tapes that were recorded at his club (The Cafe Wha?) during that period. I remember Alan Douglas trying to contact Mr. Roth and got nowhere. I recall that Alan contacted and commiserated with Manny. Nothing happened. Finally, Alan (and myself) didn't believe that there were any Cafe Wha? Blue Flames recordings. I know that he (Alan) would have paid substantially for them." (R.I.P. Bruce Gary)

Have we got more informations about the band's repertoire?

purple jim
05-23-09, 06:16 AM
I had read somewhere that he had Like A Rolling Stone", "Killing Floor", "Mr. Bad Luck", aswell as embryonic versions of "Third Stone From The Sun" and "Foxy Lady".
If anyone can confirm that.

Ayler
05-23-09, 07:26 AM
According to Shadwick, Linda Keith said that they played most of "Are You Experienced", at least in embryonic versions.
More informations would be apprecieted...

purple jim
05-23-09, 08:11 AM
How frustrating it is not to have a recording of this key period in Jimi's career.

purple jim
05-23-09, 12:35 PM
I dug out my copie of "Not Necessarily Stoned But Beautiful - The Making Of Are You Experienced" by Sean Egan and it has some details about New York 66. The book says that "Mr Bad Luck" and a primitive "3rd Stone" were in the repertoire of the Blues Flames.

Also in the book, Linda Keith remembers that Jimi had been "messing around" with what became "Red House" when he had frequented her red interiored appartment (which they also called The Red Place or Red Appartment).
Linda is also quoted as saying "All the ones on "AYE", I'd heard in their baby stages. I might be wrong, but I was not surprised by any song on the album"… "I think they were more than snatches. i think some of them were developed songs".
Another of Jimi's 1966 girlfreinds, Diane Carpenter, recalls that part of "Wind Cries Mary" hadbeen written for her "as a fragment of poetry" and claimed that "Long Hot Summer Night" was also written before London.

purple jim
05-23-09, 12:50 PM
Tony Brown's "Concert Files" details a July 5 gig at The Café Wha? with these songs in the repertoire:
- Hey Joe
- Like A Rolling Stone
- Mr. Bad Luck
- Killing Floor
- Shotgun
- Third Stone From The Sunday (sic)

I don't know where I read about "Foxy Lady" being in the repertoire at this time, but Billy Cox has pointed out (in McDermott's recent book) that back in their Nashville days, he and Jimi used to toy with a riff that they called "Stomp Driver" which later became "Foxy Lady".

stplsd
05-24-09, 04:16 PM
Of course we do have Jimi's "live" [studio more like!] recordings with the "Squires" [a variety of musicians, not neccessarily always involving C Knight, which included Lonnie Youngblood or Hendrix as lead singer on several songs] from six months previous, which include such JHE covers as: 'Killing Floor', 'Come On (Pt1)', 'Bleeding Heart', "Driving South", 'I'm A Man/Mannish Boy', 'Day Tripper' and 'Mercy, Mercy'. Not forgetting Curtis and Jimi's 1965 "civil rights" re-write of 'Like A Rolling Stone': 'How Would You Feel' which features his recently aquired fuzz box (from 'The Fugs' guitarist). Hendrix also covered the above mentioned 'Shotgun' with the "Squires" and a bit earlier in 1965 with Little Richard's band backing up 'Buddy & Stacy', where in the video he has fairly long hair and displays some of his familiar stage moves with the later JHE, including sweeping his arm down the fretboard, as he is pictured doing in Paris in 66. Apart from his hair not being rolled & back-combed he doesn't look much different from when he was photographed backstage at the 'Wha?' and in Paris slightly over a year later. His main development in his sound apart from covering 'Hey Joe' & his 1st? lyric composition 'Mr Bad Luck' appears to have been in a much freer approach, with a greater use of feedback in those intervening six months with 'The Blue Flame' (acid?), prior to his arrival in the UK. Although he does mention that with the Isleys he played a version of 'Midnight Hour' featuring feedback. Paris does not appear to have been such a great leap forward really, and if we consider the preceding and the subsequent Flamingo, Monterey and Paris 68 tapes it doesn't look too meteoric stage wise at any point, especially as regards set-list. Chandler's belief, commitment & vision, being appreciated by the cream of the UK rock fraternity, not forgetting Halliday & his reception in France & later in Hamburg giving him the confidence to unveil his lyric works and realise his recording visions appears to have been the great leap. Interesting that Hilton Valentine was given his first trip by Brian Jones in New York City in 1965 and that two of the other 'Animals' were turned onto it through this: Eric Burdon & Chas Chandler. The others stuck to the booze and they all appear to be agreed that acid was the main reason for the split.

dino77
05-25-09, 04:33 AM
Tony Brown's "Concert Files" details a July 5 gig at The Café Wha? with these songs in the repertoire:
- Hey Joe
- Like A Rolling Stone
- Mr. Bad Luck
- Killing Floor
- Shotgun
- Third Stone From The Sunday (sic)

I don't know where I read about "Foxy Lady" being in the repertoire at this time, but Billy Cox has pointed out (in McDermott's recent book) that back in their Nashville days, he and Jimi used to toy with a riff that they called "Stomp Driver" which later became "Foxy Lady".

Purple Jim, does Brown give any source, like an eyewitness account? Interesting that someone would remember the date and songs from such an obscure gig.
And what's the story behind the mistitled Third Stone...?

purple jim
05-25-09, 06:32 AM
Purple Jim, does Brown give any source, like an eyewitness account?
Unfortunately not.

And what's the story behind the mistitled Third Stone...?

No idea, it was printed that way (a printer's error ?).

jms8250
05-25-09, 12:52 PM
You guys seem to know much more than me about this (for now) but Roby in Black Gold says California claims to have had a tape from the Blue Flame days.

dino77
05-25-09, 02:25 PM
You guys seem to know much more than me about this (for now) but Roby in Black Gold says California claims to have had a tape from the Blue Flame days.

See the first post - this was an error by Roby.

lostarchives
05-25-09, 04:34 PM
Wait for Roby's next book.