PDA

View Full Version : "101 Red Houses" - Does it exist?

Crdx
05-29-09, 09:28 AM
Hello,

Does anyone know if the tape discussed here (http://www.guitarzone.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=97318) actually exists?

Basically a user there says he once owned a tape consisting entirely of different performances of Red House by Jimi, including acoustic recordings. Sadly, so he claims, the tape was stolen.

So.. Collective of Hendrix wisdom, is this all made up or is it possible such a compilation actually exists. If someone actually compiled all those Red Houses, there should've been more copies..

BURTCOBAIN
05-29-09, 11:38 AM
if i remember rightly, there was an official release back in the late 80's (oh well i got the era wrong ) of a casette with booklet titled Red House Variations on a Theme . .or something like that, however i also remember a set ov compiliation discs that did the rounds in the early days ov the 'net' . .these discs contained numerous version ov this song, if i recall any more details, i'm sure i'll comment further . .

purple jim
05-29-09, 01:19 PM
It sounds like a compilation of all available versions of the song. I've never heard of an acoustic version, I doubt that such a thing exists.

murray451
05-29-09, 03:32 PM
You're on to the Jimi Hendrix Reference Library Published by Hal Leonard which consisted of the following books, each of which came with a cd - (ISBN are to the best of my knowledge.....,)

Jimi Hendrix Reference Library: Rhythm
(Hal Leonard HL 0066 0275 (ISBN 0-7935-1406-1) 1992

Jimi Hendrix Reference Library: Octavia & Univibe
(Hal Leonard HL 0066 0275 (ISBN 0-7935-1403-7) 1992

Jimi Hendrix Reference Library: Fuzz Feedback
(Hal Leonard HL 0066 0275 (ISBN n-nnnn-nnnn-n) 1992

Jimi Hendrix Reference Library: Whammy Bar & Finger Grease
(Hal Leonard HL 0066 0279 (ISBN 0-7935-1407-X) 1992

Jimi Hendrix Reference Library: Variations on a Theme - Red House
(Hal Leonard HL 0069 9358 (ISBN 0-7935-1719-2) 1992

There was also "Tone Poems" according to the "Red House" cd sleeve but I have never come across this.

All the books came with a cd or cassette of clips and outtakes to illustrate the various subjects. Each part was transcribed in notation and tab. Descriptions are very accurate; for example;

"More impossible vocal blues riffing, this time through a wah-wah pedal".

The Red House cd included 7 full versions of "Red House" ;

- Berkeley Community Theatre, Berkeley, CA 30.05.70 [1st Show]
- New York Pop, Downing Stadium, Randall's Island, New York City, NY 17.07.70
- Studio Version, Hollywood, CA, 1969
- LA.Forum 24.04.69
- Royal Albert Hall, London 24.02.69
- Winterland Arena, San Francisco, CA 10.10.68 [1st Show]
- John Lee Hooker Studio Version, Hollywood, CA 1989

The Red House transcription book has three versions fully transcribed, for guitar (in notation and tab) and also bass and drums. There are also several pages of chord diagrams and additional licks in notation and tab. Most of which is impossible of course......., The other books notate/tab extracts from various versions ; Rhythm contains 33 extracts for example.

Also in the Red House book are a few awesome b/w pictures of the man in action.

I have been lucky enough to find the Red House book/cd in immaculate condition for a very reasonable price. I also have the Rhythm book/cd again in immaculate contition but costing a bit more this time.

I am ever hopeful to find the rest, well worth the search IMHO...,

stplsd
05-29-09, 05:25 PM
If someone actually compiled all those Red Houses, there should've been more copies..

Why not put your own collection together? Many versions are available here. There are only 100 listed in 'Benjamin Fanklin Studios' so far. The acoustic version must be the '101', never heard nothin' about that though, maybe a mix up for JL Hookers version on 'Variations On A Theme' (See above) This title is interesting as it would appear to borrow it from Haydn's original 'classical' work, which is considered to be "the first set of independent variations for orchestra in the history of music."

RasFreeman
05-29-09, 11:28 PM
I seen a few collector's disc in this fashion. Collecting all
known versions of Hendrix songs. I know of a 5 CD Machine
Gun comp with 31 versions from the early 2000's. I think there's
Ezy Ryder & Hey Baby sets too. The only Red House I know about was a 1
CD set that had Vol. 1 in the title, but Vol. 2 never showed up.

Peace & Love,
Ras Freeman

stplsd
06-02-09, 12:44 AM
^
There's room for a new 'Machine Gun' comp, BFS now has 40 versions listed.

Crdx
06-02-09, 04:49 AM
Thank you for all of your insights. I guess what we can conclude is that there are a lot of great Red House recordings preserverd, but that this tape - in the way this person describes it - does not exist, just as the acoustic version.

purple jim
06-02-09, 06:14 AM
On the many weak audience recordings, "Red House" is often one of the only song which is "listenable", with less distorsion. I made myself some neat compilations of these which are very enjoyable (I threw in a few "Little Wings", "Wind Cries Marys", "Catfish Blues" and "Hear My Trains" also).

breathe
06-17-09, 01:59 AM
There used to be a website that offered up mp3s of 61 versions of Red House. I downloaded all of them and listened to most of them too. I gotta say that 1970 brought the most sophisticated versions of the song...if I remember correctly I think Baltimore was a standout. But my all time favorite is still Isle Of Wight.

Powerofsoul
10-30-10, 09:08 PM
I downloaded a torrent called Red Houses a while back and it had every version of Red House available (to whoever made it anyway) and I still got it on my ipod so it does exist and it will drive any non-Jimi fan crazy!

Roland Stone
10-30-10, 09:29 PM
I downloaded a torrent called Red Houses a while back and it had every version of Red House available (to whoever made it anyway) and I still got it on my ipod so it does exist and it will drive any non-Jimi fan crazy!

Naah, the one that drives non-Jimi fans crazy is the "Cowboy" compilation. Every recorded instance of Jimi tuning up!

zombywoof57
10-31-10, 12:01 AM
i once made a cd of every diff. version of Heybaby from live concerts, i never get tired of that song....we can make up our own versions as we like,,,but murray451 is correct and i do have those releases on cd's, most suck, except the redhouse variations as others had only short clips of unreleased stuff another Douglas ripoff

Dolly Dagger
10-31-10, 07:20 AM
i once made a cd of every diff. version of Heybaby from live concerts, i never get tired of that song....we can make up our own versions as we like,,,but murray451 is correct and i do have those releases on cd's, most suck, except the redhouse variations as others had only short clips of unreleased stuff another Douglas ripoff

Yeah hey baby is my all-time favorite JH song and I remember there was a compilation of all available Hey Baby's (studio and live) an the gypsy boy takes (BoG) but I lost that when my computer crashed months ago. Might start trying to find it again on the web now that my interests in it are heightened. I think it was the pirate bay that it. Well the search begins.

As for the topic, acoustic red house could have just been someones name for an acoustic blues piece similar in tempo.

Crdx
10-31-10, 07:50 AM

Just checking, but there was no acoustic version included, right?

johanincr
10-31-10, 07:51 AM
Just checking, but there was no acoustic version included, right?
The acoustic version on the 'variations on a theme: Red House' disc is John Lee Hooker in 1989.

RobbieRadio
10-31-10, 09:39 AM
I remember somebody (maybe Dadfad, maybe not) posting a message a few years ago in a topic about Jimi Hendrix. The post was about this bootleg audio tape of Jimi doing the song "Red House" one hundred and one times. Unfortunately, the GTUer who owned the tape had their car stolen while the tape was in it. Does anyone know anything about this tape? I'm a huge Hendrix fan and I'd like to get a copy.

Another Urban Legend. Some people are so gullible!

These "I heard from a guy, who heard it from another guy, who told him" stories are so rediculous.

My favorite one is:

'I heard from a guy who played with Hendrix that he soaked his headband in LSD and when he was playing his sweat would roll down his his face and the LSD would be absorbed into his skin and he would be high when he was playing"

Hey if anybody has any "I heard" stories I'd love to hear them. They're always good for a laugh!

Fenders Fingers
10-31-10, 10:06 AM
I remember somebody (maybe Dadfad, maybe not) posting a message a few years ago in a topic about Jimi Hendrix. The post was about this bootleg audio tape of Jimi doing the song "Red House" one hundred and one times. Unfortunately, the GTUer who owned the tape had their car stolen while the tape was in it. Does anyone know anything about this tape? I'm a huge Hendrix fan and I'd like to get a copy.

Got you talkin' tho' :-)

Doron
10-31-10, 02:48 PM

I don't know...I'd love to hear those but they're nowhere to be found on the internet. Why not upload them somewhere? (except the red house variations on a them which most have anyway).

murray451
10-31-10, 03:49 PM
Naah, the one that drives non-Jimi fans crazy is the "Cowboy" compilation. Every recorded instance of Jimi tuning up!

Oh PLEEEASE someone tell me that it's on here. I so want that one !!! Even better than leaving the Woodstock Star Spangle Banner on my American neighbors anwer machine on the 4th of July....,

Dolly Dagger
10-31-10, 03:57 PM

These "I heard from a guy, who heard it from another guy, who told him" stories are so rediculous.

My favorite one is:

'I heard from guy who played with Hendrix that he soaked his headband in LSD and when he was playing his sweat would roll down his his face and the LSD would be absorbed into his skin and he would be high when he was playing"

Hey if anybody has any "I heard" stories I'd love to hear them. They're always good for a laugh!

"I heard Jimi Hendrix had his guitars made upside down cause he thought they looked cool."

rocknroll
11-10-10, 02:03 AM
only cowboys stay in tune anyway.

kdion11
11-10-10, 05:53 PM
if i remember rightly, there was an official release back in the late 80's (oh well i got the era wrong ) of a casette with booklet titled Red House Variations on a Theme . .or something like that, however i also remember a set ov compiliation discs that did the rounds in the early days ov the 'net' . .these discs contained numerous version ov this song, if i recall any more details, i'm sure i'll comment further . .

KD: And there was also a bootleg called "Born On The 4th of July"
which consisted (only) of every known version of Jimi playing the
Star Spangled Banner..................

pancho1111
11-10-10, 06:30 PM

demonoid dot com/files/details/1059499/28249236/

katznkitz
01-17-11, 02:00 PM
In case any body wants it:
http://rockonvinyl.blogspot.com/2010/07/jimi-hendrix-redhouse-variations-on.html

mitch69
05-26-11, 09:53 AM
with the risk of being late here , i do have an acoustic version of Red House in my head...so it could be...
There is lots of music in my head that after years come out on discs and such....but I am pretty sure there is red house acoustic from jimi himself...in style of the mermaid apartment tapes..okay it is electric guitar but pretty basic...

johanincr
05-26-11, 01:26 PM
with the risk of being late here , i do have an acoustic version of Red House in my head...so it could be...
There is lots of music in my head that after years come out on discs and such....but I am pretty sure there is red house acoustic from jimi himself...in style of the mermaid apartment tapes..okay it is electric guitar but pretty basic...

I have a DVD of Hendrix playing in Japan (1972) in my head but it never materialises either.

It could be that your memory of John Lee Hooker's acoustic Red House got somehow distorted into thinking Hendrix recorded an acoustic version...
Red House probably doesnt lend itself to an acoustic version the way Hear My Train does. At least no solo Jimi Red House seems to have been recorded.

danksquad
05-26-11, 02:49 PM
My favorite 2 recorded versions of Red House are from San Diego 5-24-69 and from the Fillmore East from 5-10-68.

I was overjoyed when the San Diego version was released in 2000 on the box set, and I'm still holding out hope that a professionally recorded version or a SBD from the Fillmore on 5-10-68 exists and may someday be released. (I believe this may be Jimi's longest known version of Red House).

I am also quite exited to hear the version(s) of Red House that will be included when Miami Pop is finally released...

breathe
05-26-11, 05:20 PM
There was a website that had 61 versions of Red House. I downloaded every single one of them. Still have it on my ipod.