PDA

View Full Version : Room Full Of Mirror Edit (19690216?)

Ayler
05-29-09, 06:49 PM
The complete title should be "Room Full Of Mirrors/Shame, Shame, Shame (aka "It's Too Bad")/Cryin' Blue Rain (aka "Gypsy Blood")"
Source: Studio Haze
I tried to put the 3 tracks together. It works very nicely with the 2 first ones, as there's no audible edit on the source. I edited few bars as there was too much noise when I tried to manage with the fade out and the fade in.
The last part works not so well, but it's the same spirit IMHO, so it's interesting to hear it without a pause. According to John McDermott last book, they played it in that order.
Chris M wrote about my source: "What is odd is overdubs on some tracks (Cat Talkin', Lover Man, Sunshine, etc) have these incredibly dated 80's drum sounds with tons of reverb but others (Crying Blue Rain, Room Full of Mirrors, Shame Shame Shame) are tasteful. I wouldn't be surprised if the drums and bass on those 3 tracks are Mitch and Noel's original contributions but with lots of reverb added 20 years later."

Hope you’ll enjoy !

norocker
05-29-09, 09:41 PM
Looking forward to hearing it. All other edits I've heard had to contend with the fade out/in and unfortunately get hissy. Thanks again.

Makkinen
05-30-09, 04:43 AM
This has been done several times on different collector's discs.
One version is already available on this site here (track 04):
http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthread.php?t=270

without the third part (?) of the jam (only RFOM and SSS)

Here's another edit of the same jam:

Olvator
05-30-09, 04:46 AM
Chris M wrote about my source: "What is odd is overdubs on some tracks (Cat Talkin', Lover Man, Sunshine, etc) have these incredibly dated 80's drum sounds with tons of reverb but others (Crying Blue Rain, Room Full of Mirrors, Shame Shame Shame) are tasteful. I wouldn't be surprised if the drums and bass on those 3 tracks are Mitch and Noel's original contributions but with lots of reverb added 20 years later."

i believe that those too have been overdubbed in the 80ties and are not the original drum tracks from the old days....

Makkinen
05-30-09, 03:14 PM
I wanted to add something about ChricM's comments.
I'm not a fan of Alan Douglas overdubs but what exactly means "dated 80s drum sound"?. In my memory and musical experience, typical 80s drum-sound is a sound of the "rhythm machine". These tracks, if they were overdubbed at all, were done by original musicians who did not (at least as far as I know) further develop and change their sounds after Jimi's death.
So, to detect which track is overdubbed and which is not is the same guess as on any track from the Cry of Love album.
The other thing that doesn't make much sense to discus about is "reverb". Although I'm not a fan of that effect either, Jimi did use it often on all his albums so on these tracks it really doesn't sound at all unnatural. I wouldn't be surprised if it was there from the start (1969).

Makkinen
05-31-09, 12:38 AM
Guys, it would really be nice to hear some comments about these edits.
It's not like you have to listen to the whole CD, it's only a 6 minutes with 2 edits!

norocker
05-31-09, 01:27 PM
Makkinen, loved your edit. Good job, although I'm still not sure that Gypsy Blood followed so closely on the heals of the other two tracks. If you listen to the rehearsals from Feb 24,1969, Jimi seemed to play and invision RFOM and Shame as one track. Both your and Ayler's edits are definitely the best I've heard. Thanks for taking the time.

Makkinen
05-31-09, 02:50 PM
You're right norocker, we can only speculate.
In fact, I'm quite sure that Gypsy Blod wasn't part of the same medley because Jimi was tuned a bit higher. To fit that track with two previous ones I had to do a slight pitch adjustment (lower the pitch a little).
But it surely was the same day, same studio, same musicians, engeneer and as Ayler said "same spirit". So it was worth a try and a nice listen nevertheless.

drivinsouth
05-31-09, 03:54 PM
thank you nice nice !!!!!

i 'm thinking ?? is there any more split hendrix ?(there is a lot of split hendrix/curtis knight sessions 67

Makkinen
06-02-09, 04:40 PM
Well, regarding Curtis Knight material, you're right, in a way,
because it has been rearranged and edited on many LPs
produced by Ed Chalpin but 99% of the recorded material,
studio and live, did eventually surface in their (more or less)
original form, so there isn't much left to correct (if anything).

stplsd
06-04-09, 07:16 AM
I like it best with the first two tracks joined together with the correct original volume full length regardless of the phased sounding swell at the join which I quite like, and the end of Shame kept turned up till it breaks down

stplsd
06-04-09, 07:25 AM
thank you nice nice !!!!!

i 'm thinking ?? is there any more split hendrix ?(there is a lot of split hendrix/curtis knight sessions 67

Yeah there's

Once I Had A Woman

(2) This less complete version contains part of
the introduction missing from (1). (5:19)
Eyes And Imagination (B427)

(4) This is the same version as the :blues track (1),
but runs an extra (0:29) to the end as opposed to fading prematurely (8:16).
Am I Blue (B810)

Splice the intro from (2) onto (4) & you’ve got the complete (9:15) (T)
I've never heard this anywhere else, but I like it.

If you want to make a best quality Berkeley 1st show there's quite a few split tracks, but unfortunately some are of widely differing quality.

Makkinen
06-06-09, 11:00 AM
So you like "phased sounding swell at the join"

stplsd
06-06-09, 03:29 PM
So you like "phased sounding swell at the join"

Well I'd rather it was just available complete, without the phased bit, but I prefer it to cutting bits out, or whatever, it sounds - spacy.

Makkinen
06-06-09, 04:19 PM
How do you know what to prefer when
you did not download any of the above edits?
How do you know that anything at all was edited out?
Actually, fade-outs and fade-ins are effects that distorted
the original music.
On both of these edits, very little or nothing was cut out
between the RFOM and SSS.
Between SSS and CBR, only less than a second was edited
out (just on my version) to make the bridge smoother.

dekitaper
06-22-09, 02:28 AM
thank u

zombywoof57
07-31-10, 07:32 PM
Dank u wel

terrybarber
10-14-10, 11:28 AM
Thanks! Im looking forward to hearing it!