PDA

View Full Version : Back cover of "Cry of Love"

lostarchives
06-17-09, 10:32 PM
Just learned today that the back cover of "Cry of Love" was shot from 31 Crescent in Sausalito, California. It's a view of the sun rising over the Berkeley hills as seen from a home in the hills of Sausalito.

lostarchives
06-18-09, 06:57 PM
It was also shot on the morning of 9/18/1970.

Jimi_Uchihaeyez
06-18-09, 10:53 PM
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/hendrix.guide/images2/col_back.jpg

purple jim
06-19-09, 12:46 AM
It was also shot on the morning of 9/18/1970.
I had always thought that is was a sunset, the end. So it's a new rising sun ! If this was known by those responsible for the sleeve, was it a subtle reference to "Hey Baby -New Rising Sun" (which wasn't even on the album), or to "First Rays Of The New Rising Sun", rumoured to be the title that Jimi was to use for his planned double album ?

bbagm
07-24-09, 05:15 AM
Just learned today that the back cover of "Cry of Love" was shot from 31 Crescent in Sausalito, California. It's a view of the sun rising over the Berkeley hills as seen from a home in the hills of Sausalito.

Where did you get that address from? I had a look on Google Street View and there's no land mass like that to the East of Crescent Avenue.

This is the view from the road directly below Crescent Avenue, looking East.

<iframe marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/sv?cbp=11,83.65,,0,-1.3&cbll=37.850082,-122.479729&panoid=&v=1&hl=en&gl=" scrolling="no" width="425" frameborder="0" height="240"></iframe>
<small>View Larger Map (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=off&q=%2231+Crescent+Avenue%22++Sausalito&ie=UTF8&split=0&ei=E4ZpSvTMIZ-6jAfVytClCw&ll=37.85832,-122.480564&spn=0.002304,0.017166&z=14&layer=c&cbll=37.850082,-122.479729&panoid=GHutLEp9W60YWfMrt-ibsA&cbp=11,83.65,,0,-1.3&source=embed)</small>

lostarchives
08-15-09, 03:07 PM
the info came from the photographer - Victor Kahn. The google map image shows a shot looking north - the Berkley hills would be directly east. Victor told me his house was up a hill.

stplsd
08-15-09, 04:58 PM
I had always thought that is was a sunset, the end. So it's a new rising sun ! If this was known by those responsible for the sleeve, was it a subtle reference to "Hey Baby -New Rising Sun" (which wasn't even on the album), or to "First Rays Of The New Rising Sun", rumoured to be the title that Jimi was to use for his planned double album ?

Thanks for pointing this out, but as far as the general public was concerned with the downcast face of Jimi on the front and Belly Button Window as the last track I would imagine that 99.9% (looking back that would include me, subconciously, as I don't particularly rationalise my emotions, and if I did "Whoopee! Jimi's dead and gone to heaven - it's a new rising sun" would not be the one) would think it to be a setting sun (at least in semi-atheist Europe) - that's if they thought about it at all. Actually the title was not a "rumour" Jimi had mentioned this as a possible title several times, although the last one he mentioned was "<STRIKE>>></STRIKE>Strate Ahead<STRIKE>></STRIKE>" [sic]

bbagm
08-15-09, 08:06 PM
the info came from the photographer - Victor Kahn. The google map image shows a shot looking north - the Berkley hills would be directly east. Victor told me his house was up a hill.

The Google Street View picture is facing East. Look at the compass in the upper left.

The only land mass over that way is Angel Island. Could it not be the case that although Victor Kahn lived on Crescent Avenue, he took the picture at a different location nearby? Possibly somewhere slightly more North, better lined up with the island?

MourningStar
08-15-09, 10:56 PM
Could it not be the case that although Victor Kahn lived on Crescent Avenue, he took the picture at a different location nearby? Possibly somewhere slightly more North, better lined up with the island?Quite probable. I've been in this area many times. However, the hills look awfully close on the album photo. That address is ~10 miles from the hills. Perhaps photographed from a boat in the bay?

lostarchives
09-09-09, 09:25 PM
This link will explain it all including the address -- enjoy!!

http://web.me.com/mculmore/hendrix.html/weblog.html

MourningStar
09-09-09, 11:03 PM
hmmmm, ... sunrise (album cover) and daylight photos claiming to be from the same location don't matchup from my perspective. So be it.

purple jim
09-10-09, 07:36 AM
This link will explain it all including the address -- enjoy!!

http://web.me.com/mculmore/hendrix.html/weblog.html

So, Kahn seems to suggest that it was he who titled the album "The Cry Of Love".
The Hendrix/Cox/Mitchell band is sometimes reffered to as The Cry Of Love band, even though they were always billed as The Jimi Hendrix Experience. Did Jimi ever call the band Cry Of Love or use the term ?

stplsd
09-10-09, 08:47 AM
So, Kahn seems to suggest that it was he who titled the album "The Cry Of Love".
The Hendrix/Cox/Mitchell band is sometimes reffered to as The Cry Of Love band, even though they were always billed as The Jimi Hendrix Experience. Did Jimi ever call the band Cry Of Love or use the term ?

The only time I have seen this title mentioned prior to the posthumous release of the LP was when Keith Altham interviewed Jimi in New York on the 13th of April 1970. Jimi: “I called the tour ‘The Cry of Love’ because that’s what it’s all about.” It was published in the 9 May 1970 edition of the UK magazine MELODY MAKER under the heading: ‘Hendrix: I’d Like A Hit Single’ [& also in 'Petticoat' [girl's mag] 4 July 70]

Also the photo of the bay with the island is patently a different place from the album cover shot!

It does appear that most people that had anything to do with Jimi are compulsive bullshitters, only interested in trying to sell something; bumming themselves up, or embroidering/making up stupid stories. But, hey, that's show-biz! Keep a large jar of salt handy at all times;-)

purple jim
09-10-09, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the info !

scoutship
09-10-09, 02:16 PM
the photo of the bay with the island is patently a different place from the album cover shotNo, it's the same place, if you take bbagm's Google shot (click on the larger image link below it) and pan slightly to the right of the boat, then zoom and compare with the back cover of CoL (I also increased brightness & contrast), you can see the matching land masses (through the glare of the rising sun), ever so slightly off but then if you account for the small perspective changes as shown in that daylight-across-the-bay pic (bit more elevation and N. latitude) off VK's site, plus almost 40 years of development, it's there.

& fwiw Luther Rabb had also said Jimi'd referred to the tour as Cry of Love.

D.

scoutship
09-10-09, 02:22 PM
btw if you want to see Victor Kahn then & now, go to

The Great Illusion (http://www.thegreatillusion.com/author.html)