PDA

View Full Version : Short (very) bits of unique JHE footage from the Xmas on Earth show

Chris M
06-30-09, 09:17 PM
There is an obscure Joe Cocker promo film for With A Little Help From My Friends that is comprised of very breif bits of footage from several acts that played the Xmas on Earth festival including Jimi, Floyd, The Move and Eric Burdon. AFAIK the Jimi clips are different than anything else that has surfaced (Sgt Pepper, Wild Thing and Foxy). I'm not sure if all the clips are unique but at the least the ones of Jimi playing a Flying V are.

Also of note is an audio recording of Tomorrow's set was officially released a few years back as the "50 Minute Technicolor Dream" on CD.

Here is the Cocker promo..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR0xMR-1z2U

stplsd
07-02-09, 09:12 AM
So there is more out there somewhere! What a pity it hasn't all been brought together with Sgt Peppers, Foxy, Wild Thing and the silent clips used in the 'Hear My Music Talking' film (inc shots of Jimi with FV onstage & backstage, audiece etc). It has been only 41 years after all. Are these three the only songs that have sound? It does appear so unfortunately. I imagine the V was brought out for Red House. There's a rough set list (unconfirmed order) which has:
Sgt Pepper, Hey Joe, Red House, Foxy Lady, Wind Cries Mary, Purple Haze, Wild Thing. Possibly some others were played? The original film of JHE according to 'Look Over Yonder' was supposedly 30 mins long.

BURTCOBAIN
07-02-09, 11:52 AM
an interesting little promo . .thanks ..

Chris M
07-02-09, 01:44 PM
So there is more out there somewhere! What a pity it hasn't all been brought together with Sgt Peppers, Foxy, Wild Thing and the silent clips used in the 'Hear My Music Talking' film (inc shots of Jimi with FV onstage & backstage, audiece etc). It has been only 41 years after all. Are these three the only songs that have sound? It does appear so unfortunately. I imagine the V was brought out for Red House. There's a rough set list (unconfirmed order) which has:
Sgt Pepper, Hey Joe, Red House, Foxy Lady, Wind Cries Mary, Purple Haze, Wild Thing. Possibly some others were played? The original film of JHE according to 'Look Over Yonder' was supposedly 30 mins long.

Good questions. I have no idea unfortunately. I'm going to try and get some info on where the people that put together the 80's Jimi at Monterey release got this footage and when/who put together the Cocker promo.

Anyone have any photos (not screencaps) from this show?

johanincr
07-02-09, 05:17 PM
There used to be an active torrent over at Hungercity by MCP, also a CTT member i think. It has (among other things) the 'complete' Watch out for your Ears film, which runs a little over 30 minutes.

It includes the 3 familiar songs by the JHE, 1 song by E Burdon & the New Animals, and that same Cocker 'promo' including the Jimi-with-FlyingV footage. Here is a link to the torrent, its being seeded by me at the moment, so might be slow.

http://www.hungercity.org/details.php?id=2486

Whether we can or should have that disc torrented on CTT, i dont know.
I'm not familiar with all the artists' official material, i suppose you could say the JHE part with sound has been partially officially available in the old Monterey video.

stplsd
07-02-09, 09:33 PM
many thanks johanincr, you the man.

Chris M
07-05-09, 01:58 PM
Look at 3:00 and 3:51. Definitely from Xmas on Earth. Douglas put that together so I wonder if he had the entire show?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn8goXWBm3I

bolexje
07-06-09, 03:58 AM
There used to be an active torrent over at Hungercity by MCP, also a CTT member i think. It has (among other things) the 'complete' Watch out for your Ears film, which runs a little over 30 minutes.

It includes the 3 familiar songs by the JHE, 1 song by E Burdon & the New Animals, and that same Cocker 'promo' including the Jimi-with-FlyingV footage. Here is a link to the torrent, its being seeded by me at the moment, so might be slow.

http://www.hungercity.org/details.php?id=2486

Whether we can or should have that disc torrented on CTT, i dont know.
I'm not familiar with all the artists' official material, i suppose you could say the JHE part with sound has been partially officially available in the old Monterey video.

maybe it would be good to get this here on CTT. over at hunger city the torrent is not being seeded ( actually, now its is THANKS ! ), and here at CTT people always seem to jump in as soon as you try to download something. Anyway, I would be very interested in seeing this.

Olvator
07-06-09, 04:39 AM
i agree....i think this could be seeded here at CTT as well...it might be a bit questionable how official we could rate this or not...what do you think johan & Co.??

by the way, i just came back from my holidays and had a splendid time. i was also attending this year´s Saturnia Hednrix meeting in Pitigliano, Italy, which was a blast! i played with Rudy Kronfuss and Verona based Voodoo Groove and really had a fantastic time. thanks to all involved! i saw someone already put up a clip from our soundcheck, hehe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGDxI61UZK0

i sorely missed Roberto (voodoochild58) but i understand that he feels a bit better now, hope you are ok my friend!!

johanincr
07-06-09, 08:25 AM
i agree....i think this could be seeded here at CTT as well...it might be a bit questionable how official we could rate this or not...what do you think johan & Co.??

Hi Olve,
Nice to see you drumming in some recent footage!:)

I made a new torrent for a composite version of the Christmas on Earth, all the JHE footage on the hungercity torrent is also here, in even better quality, plus more.

http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthread.php?p=20472

Chris M
03-11-11, 05:54 AM
Can someone give me the skinny on the "Watch Out For Your Ears" film? Was it intended to be a concert film or a short feature along the lines of 'See My Music Talking'? Any details are appreciated!

Chris

purple jim
03-11-11, 07:16 AM
^ For that film, does anyone know if Jimi overdubbed his vocals after the event or are they his actual vocals which are badly synched from the actual recording?