PDA

View Full Version : Simple Question: What does Jimi Hendrix mean to you?

The Earth Blues
07-01-09, 10:10 AM
Maybe not such a simple question, but I am curious to hear the different stories and answers we get here.

Nonhuman
07-01-09, 10:24 AM
Jimi Hendrix represents to me an individual constructing a highly observed "marker, signpost, or testimony", revealing music as a portal to the present moment where ego cannot exist.

Nonhuman

purple jim
07-01-09, 12:57 PM
That's a helluva question EB.
For me, he represents the ultimate musician. His soul just flowed so unpretentiously into his music. He is unique I think, in the fact that he was the only musician of such high calibre, to have worked in the field of pop/rock, whatever you want to call it. Such a beautiful, natural and instinctive talent as a guitarist, vocalist, songwriter and performer. The best.

BURTCOBAIN
07-01-09, 02:18 PM
when i was a young teen about 11-12 i discovered Jimi because ov the BBC newscast concerning his death . .i'd never directly heard or seen such a perculiar noise eminating from the telly. .my mum then informed me about an incident at a railway station in London circa 1967 where i was nearly pushed onto the track by a very sudden scrum ov reporters with huge silver-disc type flashing cameras . .my dad picked me up onto his shoulders and i could see very breifly a coloured man with a hat on, (i think there might ov even been feathers too) my knees where bruised and sore, i cried in fear at the rush ov people milling around . .and that was it . .soon after he died i then discovered Stones/Beatles/Floyd/the Who . .in fact my whole world ov musical discovery began from that moment on . .to me that was the most important effect his music had on me . .he opened my mind to what was to become a staple ingredient in my life, after all this time i still bug my mum and dad (much to their annoyance too ) as to the 'seeing' Jimi incident all those years ago . .the only fact that remains unknown is wether the station was Waterloo, Paddington or Victoria . .maybe i should dig out Gleebeks book or similar and try nail it once and for all, the only fact confirmed is the year was 1967. .and lastly, its comforting to know for a man ov my age who still enjoys collecting . .is that, in this world of very often flakey crap purile music, his first 5 albums and maybe a handful ov the posthumous ones . .will be the building blocks ov a young persons music collection as it was for me back in 1970 . .thats the important part . . maybe Jimi knew something we don't, but in the end we are all a little wiser from his influence . .when we are all dust n bones . .someday somewhere will be sat in their room (or wherever) listening to those opening chords to 'Watchtower' thinking . .what and who the fuck is this !! . .those moments can change a persons life . .i doubt if Lili Allen etc would have ever have the same effect . .ho ho and all that . .peace xx
ps, Lenny says 'Blah Blah Woof Woof' (some ov you will get that ) . .

and as an afterthought about his influence back then . .i did notice that all the major players back then . . Clapton Page Townshend etc . .all got their careers back after Jimi's passing . .now theres a thought indeed.

Jimi_Uchihaeyez
07-01-09, 05:37 PM
Jimi was a man who had a sound in his head that felt the need to share it with the world. His outlook on life, playing style, and sound all have an influence on me and countless others. He was a trendsetter in everything he did.

yelapavision
07-01-09, 05:44 PM
That's a hard question to answer. It's all about feeling, to me. The music has so much emotion, it's hard to not be taken in by it all. It's like Jimi;s tapping into the heartstrings of the universe. It's not all sterile sounding like other bands of the time, Led Zeppelin for instance. Dazed and Confused is a great tune, sure, but it sounds like a lot of wanking off compared to something like the SSB solo and the following instrumental bit at Woodstock. The total mastery of the guitar is something to behold. The ability to take a simple tune like Dylan's All Along The Watchtower and turn it into an epic masterpiece, shows Jimi's ability to see or hear things in the music that are totally obscured before he gave it his own unique vision of what it could be.

just a few thoughts.

MourningStar
07-01-09, 06:00 PM
Everything.

peace,

ilovejimi
07-01-09, 06:09 PM
Quality of (my) life.

Voodoo Kush
07-01-09, 07:49 PM
Jimi Hendrix is the most talented and creative individual (Musicially and in appearance) I have ever heard touch the guitar. His music creates its own atmosphere and I personally have not heard anyone else make so many songs that have that magical quality about them. I'd like to say he has pioneered the genres of Funk/Rock and Fusion as well as made some of the most intense and emotionally charged guitar solos i have heard yet. He NEEDED to play his guitar to give that abundant release of energy swelled up in him - and thats what made him a true musician.
Despite his death 39 years ago, Because of that musical drive, his music will vibrate for a very long time.

MourningStar
07-01-09, 11:30 PM
Bennett Marco: "Jimi Hendrix is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life."

The Earth Blues
07-02-09, 12:28 PM
Jimi Hendrix, to me, is more than a musician that I love, I mean...I love the band Pink Floyd...but not like I LOVE Jimi Hendrix. I love Jimi Hendrix, the man, and not just the music.

For me, Jimi is like a best friend...since I really discovered him the past two years, his music and his message have taught me how to treat others, and more importantly, how to treat myself. To have confidence, and to live carefree, but still to live ever so caring about the world.

Jimi once said something like, "we want people to hear our music not just in their ears, but in their hearts too." And I think that's the key thing here...I feel it in my heart...Jimi has a way of taking emotion and feel and just putting it on his guitar. Most people don't understand that he was more than songs like Purple Haze, Fire...they don't understand the songs like Machine Gun, Hey Baby, where during the live versions Jimi just poured his entire soul and heart out onto the stage.

I guess to sum it all up, Jimi to me is a friend who has helped me grow as a person, and has helped me mature and turn into a better person. I definitely consider him an idol and a hero of mine. I only wish I could thank him.

thefrenchowl
07-02-09, 02:36 PM
Jimi's the most "naked" person I ever saw or heard...

Patrick

hytag9
07-06-09, 06:34 PM
To me Jimi was the greatest of all times:avatar39032_3:

Roland Stone
07-06-09, 08:29 PM
Nice to know that Jimi is still meaning as much to people who only discovered him "two years ago" as he does to those of us who actually saw him in person. I was only 16 when Jimi died - and unfortunately I only really discovered him AFTER Electric Ladyland was released, so I pretty much missed out on Jimi in 1967. But I made up for lost time and was able to see him live in person 4 times before he died. Just the fact that I saw him 4 times in 2 years shows that he made an immediate, profound and lifelong impact on me. Glad to know he's still having that effect. Anyone who loves Jimi believes his music will truly last forever. If they put his music on a spacecraft and launched it to the outskirts of infinity, whoever finds it a billion light years away will feel the same way then as we do now!

thunderbaas
07-06-09, 11:00 PM
What does Jimi mean to me??? This can not be answerd in two words.My first LP I bought 12 years old was " The cry of love" in 1970 shortly after his untimely death,and it was love at first sight.The hendrixvirus struck imediately.A couple of months later I bought the "Woodstock" 3 LP set,and the comfort The Hendrix part of this Album with StarSpangled/Purple Haze and especially Villa Nova Junction (which I think is one of his greatest beauties) gave me through my difficult adolecence,still stands out. (I aranged that they play it at my funeral,which hopefully will be not verry soon) Apart from these personal thoughts,I also think that jimi was a great inovator for the electric guitar.Apart from his great lyrics and wonderfull melodys,he also was one of the first(apart maybe from Roy Buchanan) who experimented and mastered Feed Back verry well (just listen how he controlls it in "Bleeding Heart" from the Royal Albert Hall concert) And he was probably the first who mastered the Wah Wah pedal so excellently as well as for instance the Univibe pedal (I recently bought me a reissue of this vintage pedal,and though there are numerous guitar pedals on the market nowadays this vintage one still really sounds great to my ears!!!)
And though I like and investigated Frank Zappa & King Crimson quite thoroughly as well,there's only still one Artist which I can listen to for days in a row,and that's Jimi of course.And when you listen to his brilliant live performances,they're never the same.Just like the great Jazz Musicians he allways made up a new musical story in every interpretation of his songs.
Etc Etc. This world would be a lot colder and a lot less colorfull, if this rough diamond hadn't be around.So a million thanks to you Jimi.

Thunderbaas.

Experiencereunited
07-07-09, 12:46 AM
I saw Jimi Hendrix albums in record stores in the mid 70s when I was a bopper. Didn't know much about him except that he OD'd. Kind of scary. Plus that X on end of the name and the whole "Experience" thing was intriguing. My obsession at the time was The Who who I still love but in a different way. Towards the end of the 70's I got familiar with the "hits" and decided to buy Smash hits in the early 80's. A steady flow ensued in buying and listening to Jimi Axis. Ladyland, Cry Of Love, Midnight Lightning. I did not buy AYE until much much later because I thought most of it was on Smash hits. May This Be Love was a wonderful surprise after I knew The Cry Of Love like the back of my hand!

Anyway to me Jimi opened more doors like The Who had in a different way and The Grateful Dead did a little bit later. While not polished it seems like there is always some little thing you hear you haven't heard before when you listen to Jimi. Unpolished and raw but yet still not outdated. I am still amazed by Jimi and who knows what he might have done. Did anyone in '68 think Clapton would have gone on to record Slow Hand, Forever Man, Rock and Roll Heart etc.....

Still a lot of great music out there now too. Love to hear jambands cover Jimi. Just not the core four. I think he got about all he could out of Fire, Purple Haze, Hey Joe and Foxey Lady. A lot of the later tunes were works in progress so it really is interesting to see where others take them.

Gold_And_Rose
07-07-09, 02:46 AM
Oh man...Hendrix has opened the doors on music for me. I met him about 2 years ago.

When I was about 17 years old, I was just coming out of a deep depression. Before Hendrix, I was listening to primarily The Beatles. To be honest, I attribute my recovery (if you want to call it that) to them. After awhile, my friends wanted to hear different music on my iPod aside from The Beatles, and some snip-its of modern music (like Rammstein and stuff like that). So, I went digging through my parent's CD collection, and found a bunch of Miles Davis, Pat Metheny, and some Pink Flyod. All alone, I saw this Hendrix cd "Kiss the Sky" (by the way, I love the cover artwork! =D). I thought to myself that I'd give it a go, since I heard my parents mention his name. So I put it into my computer...and have loved his music ever since. For those of you who know about Kiss the Sky, it's a wonderful compilation, starting first with "Are You Experienced?", which I think is a fantastic idea. What really caught my attention first though was that song, and "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)".

After that, my friend let me have his small Hendrix collection, which was basically all the officially released material. Since then, I have made it my dream to own as much Hendrix as possible. In cd's, I have nearly over 40, and have spent hundreds of dollars (that's right...I spent money haha, didn't know about this place). All that money spent though, totally worth it.

Most importantly, aside from his spectacular style and sound (which will most likely never be replicated as profoundly again) and magical beauty of his music, his music trained my ear to what GOOD music sounds like. If I heard Miles Davis before I heard as much Hendrix, I would not have appreciated it (I'm referring to his 1970's period). Same with Wes Montgomery, Pink Flyod, BB King, even classical music. He also gave me the musical curiosity of what is and what can be. Because of him, it's my dream to be half the musician he was.

As far as modern music...I thank Hendrix for showing me good music, so I can hear what the mood of songs. Sadly, I feel that today, music is a violent, ugly sound. Thus, I no longer have a single Rammstein, or music that sounds like that, on my iTunes.

He took a great page from the old Blues player's book, and that is to play with emotion! The emotion he put into his music is
simply spectacular. Machine Gun is, I feel, the song where you can feel the hardest emotions screaming from his guitar (the one on the BOG cd).

That is what Hendrix means to me.

P.S. If you do not already have it, I highly suggest getting the comic book Voodoo Child. It's a comic book about Hendrix's life, and the artwork is spectacular! You also get a damned good sense of who Hendrix was, even though he did not write it. It was created and produced by Martin I. Green, and illustrated by Bill Sienkiewicz. Also, you get a CD of some of his "home recordings" (very nice, and insightful on some of his songs and how they evolved).

Edit : Since this is a post about other people's stories as well, I felt I needed to acknowledge and agree with things that other people said, seeing as they put it in a way that I think is best.

purple jim - Yes, I agree except for the "The best" part, only because I am sure he himself would not have agreed with it too. However, I'm pretty sure he'd be flattered by it haha. (The Dick Cavett interviews illustrate that nicely).

Burtcobain - That story of yours is pretty sweet. I feel the same about my musical discoveries as you do. Also, I agree with the whole "building blocks of a person's musical collection" thing.

Jimi_Uchihaeyez - Couldn't have put that better myself.

expJimi - Couldn't have put it better myself.

MourningStar - Yes haha.

Voodoo Kush - Completely agree.

The Earth Blues - I wish it possible to thank Jimi too...

Roland Stone - I am very jealous of you haha. I wish I could have seen him.

thunderbaas - Thank goodness he mastered feedback haha. How much was that vintage pedal of yours? And about the Live performances and his constantly playing them differently, I think that is one of his staples. I think he is one of the few artists where you can buy all his live stuff, and it all sounds new and completely different. I also feel that his music has (and is) helping me go through my adolescence (cuz let's face it, this time in life sucks haha).

I just hope dearly that I haven't overstepped The Earth Blues (since this is his post). Thank you very much for the question! Hopefully we get to see more stories here =D (if I did overstep you, I sincerely apologize. This is the first real forum site I have been on and stuff, so please forgive.)

The Earth Blues
07-12-09, 11:28 AM
You didn't overstep anyone. :)

Bumping this up...