PDA

View Full Version : Effects pedal suggestions?

Gold_And_Rose
07-18-09, 05:14 PM
A slightly odd place to ask this...but I'm hoping there are a few people here who know a thing or 2 about effects pedals. In researching about the Voodoo-Vibe Plus from Roger Mayer, I have learned about this pedal called Vox Univibe Shin-ei, which is supposedly legendary in terms of it's tone and was also used on Machine Gun...and I love the sound of that song =D. Seeing as they are no longer being manufactured, and no one wants to part with theirs (who can blame them? haha), I was wondering if there were other pedals with a sound that is a replica of or similar to it.

Any and all information is greatly appreciated =D

carlygtr56
07-18-09, 05:31 PM
the original Univox Univibe is hard to come by, and very expensive.
The Roger MayerVoodoo-Vibe Plus is a great one.
Also check out Fulltone Effects, FoxRox Effects, and KR Effects. All make a great Univibe clone.

here is the KR-

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6419844

Jimi_Uchihaeyez
07-18-09, 05:34 PM
I have a Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe, which is a extremely good Uni-Vibe copy, goes for $149 now I think. :) Strat + Fuzz + Uni-Vibe = Good sounds.

The Earth Blues
07-18-09, 06:06 PM
Do not and I mean DO NOT order the KR Megavibe. I put an order in for mine in late November and have yet to hear from him despite him saying it is an 8-12 week period. Not to mention the amount of negative reviews about him.

I used to also have the Microvibe...but I didn't really like it as, atleast on my set up, it added to much low end.

univibs
07-18-09, 06:10 PM
I have the small KR mega vibe and it's o.k, I heard the big unit is better sounding.

carlygtr56
07-18-09, 06:39 PM
Do not and I mean DO NOT order the KR Megavibe. I put an order in for mine in late November and have yet to hear from him despite him saying it is an 8-12 week period. Not to mention the amount of negative reviews about him.

I used to also have the Microvibe...but I didn't really like it as, atleast on my set up, it added to much low end.

yes, VERY long wait but it will be worth it

The Earth Blues
07-19-09, 12:29 AM
yes, VERY long wait but it will be worth it
I'm sure it is, me and you talked on Youtube around the time I put my order in about Jimi's sound and how to achieve it.

Problem is the customer support is just flat out awful...and as I said, there have been many reviews the past year where he just hasn't even sent the megavibe even after a year...which has me extremely worried on the status of my order...since he doesn't answer emails.

Gold_And_Rose
07-19-09, 03:00 AM
Ouch >< Sorry to hear that. Well, I am definitely getting the voodoo-vibe plus, as something to go with my new guitar (getting a Reverend, which is an awesome brand =D). As far as the other suggestions, thank you very much! I greatly appreciated it.

It's too bad that the guy who's selling the KR megavibes have terribad customer service =\. I liked your covers carlygtr, very nicely done ^^. And the tone was also very nice!

How is the Fulltone MDV-2 Mini Deja Vibe 2 Pedal? My only concern with the Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe is that it's a little inconvenient when you want to change speed, as there is no pedal control. One thing I should have pointed out is that I have the Jimi Hendrix Effects Pedal (yeah I do...my dad got it for me for Christmas...and I'm not gonna lie, it's a sweet pedal ^^ It's got 6 different effects from his "signature songs" [good selection at least], including the Machine Gun one.). I would like to know how that compares to other uni vibe pedals.

Also, any suggestions for an Octavia pedal?

Again, thanks guys! =D
:thayou219bl:

Freedom
07-19-09, 03:16 AM
+1 for the KR Megavibe... ;)

Try to find a second hand to avoid the long wait...both the small and large box sound identical in my humble opinion so go for either one (actually the large box was overkill size-wise, thats the only reason i sold it, but i am keeping the small box for ever)...used to have the Fulltone Mini Deja vibe but that was 2 years ago (sold it right after i bought my first megavibe and stopped gasing for another vibe)

About the octavia, i love the Chicago Iron Octavian, for my ears, taste and gear (=subjective) its perfect...i had also the Fulltone Octafuzz, Fulltone Ultimate Octave, KR The Doubler and RM Octavia (actually i still have the last 2)...never tried the Dunlop Octavio though...

Whatever you decide, try it with your gear first if you can and decide what's best for you... ;)

carlygtr56
07-19-09, 05:16 AM
Ouch >< Sorry to hear that. Well, I am definitely getting the voodoo-vibe plus, as something to go with my new guitar (getting a Reverend, which is an awesome brand =D). As far as the other suggestions, thank you very much! I greatly appreciated it.

It's too bad that the guy who's selling the KR megavibes have terribad customer service =\. I liked your covers carlygtr, very nicely done ^^. And the tone was also very nice!

How is the Fulltone MDV-2 Mini Deja Vibe 2 Pedal? My only concern with the Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe is that it's a little inconvenient when you want to change speed, as there is no pedal control. One thing I should have pointed out is that I have the Jimi Hendrix Effects Pedal (yeah I do...my dad got it for me for Christmas...and I'm not gonna lie, it's a sweet pedal ^^ It's got 6 different effects from his "signature songs" [good selection at least], including the Machine Gun one.). I would like to know how that compares to other uni vibe pedals.

Also, any suggestions for an Octavia pedal?

Again, thanks guys! =D
:thayou219bl:

thanks! I have the Fulltone MDV-2 but havent recorded with it yet. It is EXCELLENT and NO wait time.

My fav Octavia is the Dunlop Octavio. It has the look and sounds great. Also like the roger Mayer Octavia.

thunderbaas
07-19-09, 07:14 AM
Hi there carlygtr 56,though a lot of suggestions are given in the reply's allready,here's another suggestion.I bought me the "Boss V Wah pw 10" pedal a couple of months ago,for about 150 Euro. It's a wahwah pedal that contains a.o. : The Vox wah/The Cry Baby/The Morly Wah and a Univibe which tempo can be controled by the pedal.
It also has a great distortion,which you can add from 0 to 100 by a separate pot. meter.
It also has three presets,which you can create yourself,and which you can activate by a heel switch.
All 'n all I really like this pedal,and it really sounds great through my gear (a.o. A Fender Twin Reveb Amp.) After carefully studying the internet,and extensive try outs at the guitarshop,this one to me was the best vallue for money.And the Univibe sounds great too!!!
Also this one is easy obtainable.So I hope this info ads to your search,and if you're gonna try all the above mentioned pedals,I'm sure you'll find/improve your sound.
(The Machine Gun intro on Band of Gypsys sure is a killer!!!)

All the best,
Thunderbaas.

thunderbaas
07-19-09, 07:25 AM
Here's a link to the boss site,about the above mentioned Wah Pedal

Thunderbaas.

http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=145

The Earth Blues
07-19-09, 11:02 AM
Isn't it funny...yesterday I posted here how Kevin Randall NEVER answers emails. And this morning I receive an email saying very soon I will be receiving an email asking for a payment, as it's almost ready.

LOL...

Funny how things work sometimes.

I still stand by what I said, and that for some people the wait isn't worth it. I'm sure for me it will be, but regardless...some people can't wait.

~~~

QUESTION FOR CARL: Hey...you say you like the Dunlop Octavio the best for Octave Pedals, and honestly in all the demos I've heard...it sounds the best as well. What I found most interesting is that for all other pedals...boutique pedals seem to give the best sound for effects...why is that DUNLOP captures the octavia the best? I mean you would think Roger Mayer would have a better octavia pedal (and I really hate the sound of his new one).

carlygtr56
07-19-09, 12:27 PM
Isn't it funny...yesterday I posted here how Kevin Randall NEVER answers emails. And this morning I receive an email saying very soon I will be receiving an email asking for a payment, as it's almost ready.

LOL...

Funny how things work sometimes.

I still stand by what I said, and that for some people the wait isn't worth it. I'm sure for me it will be, but regardless...some people can't wait.

~~~

QUESTION FOR CARL: Hey...you say you like the Dunlop Octavio the best for Octave Pedals, and honestly in all the demos I've heard...it sounds the best as well. What I found most interesting is that for all other pedals...boutique pedals seem to give the best sound for effects...why is that DUNLOP captures the octavia the best? I mean you would think Roger Mayer would have a better octavia pedal (and I really hate the sound of his new one).

Cool on the KR. Its a long wait. I waited a year for the FoxRox Aquavibe.

I have the Roger Mayer Octavia, the silver spaceship. Its cool and has a lighter flutey kind of early Jimi Octavia tones.

They (Dunlop) reverse engineered an Octavio in the Hendrix museum, but in actual fact, that Octavio was never one that belonged to Jimi......yet it seems closest to the BOG Octavio sounds we shoot for.

I know who has the BOG Octavio and it is indeed different than the Dunlop. These things were all experimental, remember, all different from each other.

Check my page, I have a cool demo tune of the Dunlop Octavio.

The Earth Blues
07-19-09, 12:56 PM
Cool on the KR. Its a long wait. I waited a year for the FoxRox Aquavibe.

I have the Roger Mayer Octavia, the silver spaceship. Its cool and has a lighter flutey kind of early Jimi Octavia tones.

They (Dunlop) reverse engineered an Octavio in the Hendrix museum, but in actual fact, that Octavio was never one that belonged to Jimi......yet it seems closest to the BOG Octavio sounds we shoot for.

I know who has the BOG Octavio and it is indeed different than the Dunlop. These things were all experimental, remember, all different from each other.

Check my page, I have a cool demo tune of the Dunlop Octavio.
To be honest I've listened to every single one of your demos on your myspace page, lol. You're incredible...such great tone.

Yea I have read that about the Dunlop Octavia...I currently have a MXR Jimi Hendrix System (JH3S) Octave Fuzz. I like it when it's in use, but when it's off, it really kills my tone. I don't think it's true bypass.

Also do you use your octavia before or after your wah? I think Jimi used it after...
http://images.uulyrics.com/cover/j/jimi-hendrix/album-live-at-the-fillmore-east.jpg
As you can see that in photo...guitar>wah>octave>fuzz>univibe>marshall stacks...

But I've read in various spots Jimi used it BEFORE the wah.

Gold_And_Rose
07-19-09, 03:13 PM
Hurray Earth_Blues!! Congrats on hearing from those people! I hope that pedal is everything you've hoped for. ^^

And thank you thunderbaas for your suggestion for that pedal. It looks awesome. And a Dunlop Octavia sounds great.

Thank you guys! =D

carlygtr56
07-19-09, 05:02 PM
To be honest I've listened to every single one of your demos on your myspace page, lol. You're incredible...such great tone.

Yea I have read that about the Dunlop Octavia...I currently have a MXR Jimi Hendrix System (JH3S) Octave Fuzz. I like it when it's in use, but when it's off, it really kills my tone. I don't think it's true bypass.

Also do you use your octavia before or after your wah? I think Jimi used it after...
http://images.uulyrics.com/cover/j/jimi-hendrix/album-live-at-the-fillmore-east.jpg
As you can see that in photo...guitar>wah>octave>fuzz>univibe>marshall stacks...

But I've read in various spots Jimi used it BEFORE the wah.

Thanks! I put the Octavia after a wah, before any fuzz or distortion.

thunderbaas
07-19-09, 11:11 PM
Hey carl,there's quite a lot of great guitar work on your site.Really like the sound of the "Fulltone mg 500.And what are these "Bogner" Amps,they are new to me,but really sound excellent.is this an american brand of Amps? I wonder if you can find them here in Holland,or even in Europa. Really apreciate,if you could give me some info or a link to a "Bogner" site,if it exists.

Thanks &
All the best,
Thunderbaas.

carlygtr56
07-20-09, 05:03 AM
Hey carl,there's quite a lot of great guitar work on your site.Really like the sound of the "Fulltone mg 500.And what are these "Bogner" Amps,they are new to me,but really sound excellent.is this an american brand of Amps? I wonder if you can find them here in Holland,or even in Europa. Really apreciate,if you could give me some info or a link to a "Bogner" site,if it exists.

Thanks &
All the best,
Thunderbaas.

Bogner amps are made in America. They have a less expensive line that are built in China. here's the site-

http://www.bogneramplification.com/

thunderbaas
07-20-09, 11:59 AM
Hey Carlygtr,
Thanks for the link about the "Bogner" Amps,I allready found out that you can buy them overhere as well.

Keep up the good music,
Thunderbaas.

univibs
07-22-09, 04:04 PM
by the way I'm selling my Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz if anyone interested.

weavzy
11-10-09, 06:35 PM
i personally think the kr megavibe is the best. i live in australia and they dont send them here, but i got one anyway from LA Sound design. but i thin Kevin Randall is pissed off at them for sending them over seas coz on the KR website it states that he is no longer affiliatede with them i consider myself very fortunate to have one, considering legally i shouldnt! here is mine in action- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPS856de37U

backfromthestorm
11-11-09, 11:41 AM
I`ve spent years trying to get the `tone` but its an endless quest.. Heres what I found to be the closest.

KR Mega vibe is great and maybe the best sounding Vibe, but its one man boo-teek so expect a long wait and not great customer service.. Worth it though. Small box and big box sound the pretty much the same, too be honest as they are booteek every pedal has its own `character` as regards to sound, but they are VERY good. Deja Vibe or Sweetsound Mojo would be my next choice.

Early Fuzz? Analogman NKT 275.. with the red dot trannies. (For mojo lol).

Late 69`/70` Era Fuzz? Roger Mayer Axis!

Wah? I havnt found a new wah that sounds as great as my vintage Thomas Organ VOX Crybaby from 1968.. so find one of them! Though i sold that for $700 (£360) so save up lol. I think Fulltone Wahs are SHIT! No mids at all and not vocal.... thats my experience anyhow.

Oh, curly lead (again for mojo) OR, for great tone, get FULLTONE Gold Standard Leads.

Octavia? Fulltone Octafuzz is cool, plus it has the fuzz only switch which is a heavy sounding fuzz.

Pick ups, Texas or 69` Custom Fender... 69`s are bright though... better with the texas maybe.

Thats my pick... Though if I had the money I`d be constantly swapping and changing my pedals for the endless quest of TONE!

carlygtr56
11-11-09, 01:48 PM
Some of the best I found. The Area 51 wah, RM Axis Fuzz, KR Megavibe.
This clip has the KR wah, KR The Fuzz, which I helped R&D, and the KR Megavibe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6axFVdeWMzM

Lord Summerisle
11-11-09, 05:10 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6axFVdeWMzM

Great stuff!!

I've had the Mayer Axis fuzz for years but it's not doing it for me these days. I'm toying between KR and Fulltone as I want a new Fuzz and Deja Vibe or the Megavibe.

I haven't played one as no stores near me sell them and have checked out alot of clips of both. I need to flip a coin I guess as they both sound great.

kalender1
11-13-09, 08:28 AM
I have had old fuzzfaces,new ones,fulltone 70 and my favorite is
KR Gypsy Fuzz.Whoa baby...very nice.

backfromthestorm
11-13-09, 12:35 PM
I have had old fuzzfaces,new ones,fulltone 70 and my favorite is
KR Gypsy Fuzz.Whoa baby...very nice.

Dont you find its a bit woolly? A bit bassy for me...

I sat comparing a Gypsy and the Axis for about 6hours! In the end i settled with the Axis.... But maybe I should of stuck with the Gypsy thinkin about it... I dunno... i can never make my mind up. Analogman Nkt 275 Fuzz is awesome though for a Germanium fuzz I know that...

The Earth Blues
11-13-09, 02:05 PM
If I was a rich man, I am pretty sure I would have about ten fuzzes all hooked up to a loop.

Can't get enough of the fuzz.

Right now I have a MXR BC108 Silicon Fuzz...and Dunlop Jimi Hendrix JH2S Silicon Fuzz.

Looking to get these modded into box, and then probably buy a Cats Eye Mista Fuzz...I've heard those are fucking great. There aren't much out there about them, but I'm willing to give it a chance.

Also does anyone have experience with Kevin Randalls "The Fuzz"?

kalender1
11-13-09, 04:48 PM
I dont know if I would call it woolly..I will say that it was made with a Marshall amp in mind.I use it with a jcm800 and when it kicks in,it is great.I also use it with a vibrolux.
In the case of the Fender ,I just leave it on and control it through the guitar.Sounds different but still great.I have also stacked it with a Fulltone OCD and and leave the OCD on and kick in the Gypsy Fuzz for total sonic mayham.I like it and often think about getting another one in case mine dies or KR Musical goes under.

MourningStar
11-13-09, 05:03 PM
interesting topic. is all this discussion in relation to attempting to attaining the classic 'Hendrix-sound"?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/XiKano/AVATAR/peace5.gif

carlygtr56
11-13-09, 05:38 PM
If I was a rich man, I am pretty sure I would have about ten fuzzes all hooked up to a loop.

Can't get enough of the fuzz.

Right now I have a MXR BC108 Silicon Fuzz...and Dunlop Jimi Hendrix JH2S Silicon Fuzz.

Looking to get these modded into box, and then probably buy a Cats Eye Mista Fuzz...I've heard those are fucking great. There aren't much out there about them, but I'm willing to give it a chance.

Also does anyone have experience with Kevin Randalls "The Fuzz"?

Check my Machine Gun i posted in this thread. That's The Fuzz and his wah and Megavibe. I helped R&D Kevin's The Fuzz for two months. I got clips of the prototype The Fuzz which in hindsite, I liked even more.

carlygtr56
11-13-09, 05:41 PM
This is the RM Axis Fuzz-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDxx5xJV4vo

The Earth Blues
11-13-09, 07:26 PM
Check my Machine Gun i posted in this thread. That's The Fuzz and his wah and Megavibe. I helped R&D Kevin's The Fuzz for two months. I got clips of the prototype The Fuzz which in hindsite, I liked even more.
Ah for some reason I always seem to think that is the Gypsy Fuzz...not sure why.

Your example there is incredible, and was one clip that absolutely sold me on the Megavibe.

Do you like "The Fuzz"? Like it more than the Gypsy Fuzz or what?

The Earth Blues
11-13-09, 07:35 PM
Also has anyone used the "Roger Mayer Classic Fuzz"? The harmony central reviews are great...but I can't find any sound samples or anything anywhere on it

Lord Summerisle
11-14-09, 02:06 AM
Also has anyone used the "Roger Mayer Classic Fuzz"? The harmony central reviews are great...but I can't find any sound samples or anything anywhere on it

Have you tried his site? He has audio clips there of his pedals.

carlygtr56
11-14-09, 05:28 AM
Ah for some reason I always seem to think that is the Gypsy Fuzz...not sure why.

Your example there is incredible, and was one clip that absolutely sold me on the Megavibe.

Do you like "The Fuzz"? Like it more than the Gypsy Fuzz or what?

I liked The Fuzz but I sold it. I liked it more than the Gypsy Fuzz, which I also sold.

backfromthestorm
11-14-09, 10:51 AM

The Classic Fuzz was one of the first i had.. Its not bad for an early Jimi sound, uses AC 128 transistors so its not exactly the same as the one Jimi used.. His would of had Nkt 275's in it. They are much nicer sounding and they clean up much better with the guitar volume control than the Ac 128's. All the same its a nice sounding fuzz. The main issue with Roger Mayers pedals in the Rocket series is the shape of the things, they take up far too much space on a pedal board, a place where real estate is quite precious. If i were you i'd go on Analogmans site and check out the Sunface, its a clone of the first Fuzz face and is amazing. It uses the real vintage transistors too that are getting harder and harder to find. Fits nicely on a board, cleans up perfectly with the guitars volume knob and has the most beautiful bluesy fuzz i ever heard. Also has a dial to bias the transistors depending on how hot it is. Thats important, means it'll always sound at its best. :-)

Gold_And_Rose
11-14-09, 11:43 AM
I'll have to look for one of those Sunface pedals in action then! I'm sure they are expensive though. At any rate, which Octavia would you guys recommend? I've tried the Digitech one and I wasn't all that impressed. Or perhaps I was using it all wrong haha. By the way, thank you everyone for all this info! I recently got myself a Mini Dejavibe 2 and it's sounds beautiful! Definitely worth the money.

@ Carlygtr56 - fantastic cover of Machine Gun! That pedal sounds amazing.

MourningStar
11-14-09, 02:26 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6axFVdeWMzMFantastic!

I am very interested in any original material you all may have available utilizing the 'Classic Hendrix' sound and the tunes being in the 'Classic Hendrix' vein. Not much available commercially. All I've found is a few tunes from Robin Trower's first releases, SRV (naturally!), Tia Carrera (check out track-2 from the Heaven/Hell ep, very 'Hey Baby-esque') and Sons Of Otis of more recent times.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/XiKano/AVATAR/peace5.gif

The Earth Blues
11-14-09, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the reply, backfromthestorm. The only question I have with the Sunface's is the amount of options you have. Obviously it'd be smart to get the sundial...but what kind of transistors should you get? The standard germanium (no extra charge)...or NKT-275 (add $50)? The red dot sound better to my ears...but is it worth the extra 50 over the standards?

I'll have to look for one of those Sunface pedals in action then! I'm sure they are expensive though. At any rate, which Octavia would you guys recommend? I've tried the Digitech one and I wasn't all that impressed. Or perhaps I was using it all wrong haha. By the way, thank you everyone for all this info! I recently got myself a Mini Dejavibe 2 and it's sounds beautiful! Definitely worth the money.

@ Carlygtr56 - fantastic cover of Machine Gun! That pedal sounds amazing.
For octavia I use the Dunlop Octavio...I think it's perfect. People say the Chicago Iron Octavian is better, but listening to sound demos and such, it doesn't seem to be worth the huge amount of money compared to the Octavio.

You can hear the Octavio here-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahaAmQP3l9Y

For octave make sure to get the Jimi sound, turn the volume all the way up (or to level) and the fuzz all the way down. Control the distortion with a fuzz behind it, or an overdrive (or overdrive of your amp). Then use the volume knob on your guitar to control the sound from there.

Also the great thing about the Dunlop Octavio is that it REALLY responds to your pick attack. Fantastic effect.

backfromthestorm
11-14-09, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the reply, backfromthestorm. The only question I have with the Sunface's is the amount of options you have. Obviously it'd be smart to get the sundial...but what kind of transistors should you get? The standard germanium (no extra charge)...or NKT-275 (add $50)? The red dot sound better to my ears...but is it worth the extra 50 over the standards?

Oh its definately worth the $5o I think... In a fuzz circuit, theres a couple of trannies, a few resisters/caps and thats it.. as its such a tiny circuit the individual parts have a big effect on the sound. I use a fuzz from number 10 on the guitar volume knob to number 4, all out fuzz to clean and jangly.. thats one of the best features of a good fuzz circuit. Some trannys wont clean up at all, or some wont have enough `fuzz`.. the red dot NKTs clean up great, and they were the ones that were in Jimi`s fuzz face, so if their good enough for Jimi! NKTs and the fuzz face are a match made in heaven. Analogman has a whole page dedicated to Fuzz on his site.

As for options, if I had to buy another Sunface I`d have -

On/Off switch on the volume knob is useful.. saves you having to pull the input lead out when its not used (awkward on a pedal board).
Dont need the 9v socket (zinc cheap batterys sound better and last forever).
Sundial.
White or Red dot NKTS.

Happy Fuzzin. :wave:

Freedom
11-15-09, 06:02 AM
I sat comparing a Gypsy and the Axis for about 6hours! In the end i settled with the Axis.... But maybe I should of stuck with the Gypsy thinkin about it... I dunno... i can never make my mind up.

That's why i've kept them both...the KR Gypsy fuzz can get a bit wooly just like the Axis Fuzz can get extremely bright...it all has to do with the rest of your gear (very improtant) and the settings (of both the fuzz and the rest of your gear)... ;)

PS: i had also owned the Fulltone '70, KR The Fuzz, the BC108 Dunlop etc etc...all gone, the 2 mentioned above stayed...both fit to my gear and needs...;)

The Earth Blues
11-15-09, 11:50 AM
Hey, atleast with KR pedals if you don't like it, you can sell it back for more...it's crazy how much the Megavibes go for on ebay. I can see why Kevin Randall hates when they are sold on there.

weavzy
11-15-09, 05:40 PM
Hey, atleast with KR pedals if you don't like it, you can sell it back for more...it's crazy how much the Megavibes go for on ebay. I can see why Kevin Randall hates when they are sold on there.

Imagine how much they will be worth when he stops making them. i mean, he cant make them forever. i love mine. i just got an aquavibe, and as far as getting "Machinegun" tones, the megavibe one in the shootout. but the aquavibe has the superior vibratto tone. the vibraotto on the megavibe is real cold and sterile. but the aqua vibratto is just beautiful and warm. think studio version of Hey Baby. Nails it to perfection!! if only the 2 could combine...The Mequavibe?

The Earth Blues
11-15-09, 06:17 PM
Imagine how much they will be worth when he stops making them. i mean, he cant make them forever. i love mine. i just got an aquavibe, and as far as getting "Machinegun" tones, the megavibe one in the shootout. but the aquavibe has the superior vibratto tone. the vibraotto on the megavibe is real cold and sterile. but the aqua vibratto is just beautiful and warm. think studio version of Hey Baby. Nails it to perfection!! if only the 2 could combine...The Mequavibe?
Yea I know what you mean on the vibrato of the Megavibe, it's not bad at all and better than most stuff...but compared to what I've heard from the Aquavibe it's not close. I never really use the vibrato anyways...so I don't mind that.

weavzy
11-15-09, 06:56 PM
I never really use the vibrato anyways...so I don't mind that.<!-- controls --><!-- / controls -->
<!-- message, attachments, sig --><!-- post 24553 popup menu --><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead>The Earth Blues</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vbmenu_option>View Public Profile (http://crosstowntorrents.org/member.php?u=632)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vbmenu_option>Send a private message to The Earth Blues (http://crosstowntorrents.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=632)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vbmenu_option>Find all posts by The Earth Blues (http://crosstowntorrents.org/search.php?do=finduser&u=632)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vbmenu_option>Add The Earth Blues to Your Contacts (http://crosstowntorrents.org/profile.php?do=addlist&userlist=buddy&u=632)</TD></TR><!-- v3 Arcade --><!-- /v3 Arcade --></TBODY></TABLE>

yeah, the vibrato is sort of the forgoten effect on all univibe pedals.

weavzy
11-16-09, 07:41 AM
if anyone is interested i just made a megavibe vs aquavibe shoot out video on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HO2cen7QYo

backfromthestorm
11-16-09, 02:27 PM
Your as bad as me.... I can sit for hours comparing pedals. Can never decide.. keep the axis or the sunface, the red fulldrive or blue one, mega or deja..... its neverending.
I`d keep them all if I had the money.. and the space.

Nice guitars dude..! I`m green with envy.

weavzy
11-16-09, 04:52 PM
`d keep them all if I had the money.. and the space
i have neither the space or the money...but i manage to find away to keep them all!

thunderbaas
11-21-09, 10:06 AM
Hey you explorers of the true HENDRIX SOUND,check out the Machine Gun cover from these swedish guys called "Ducks can groove" .It can be found on the Jimpress Site under the section "News" I'd say this guy comes quite close to the original BOG recording!!! Wonders what he uses,hope some of you can discover his signal path???

http://www.jimpress.co.uk/latestnews.html
Thunderbaas.

Xplorer
06-06-10, 12:22 PM
You should rather check this one... it certainly needs a whole life of devotion to work such extremely good cover :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A28-urxUd8

MourningStar
06-06-10, 12:56 PM
You should rather check this one... it certainly needs a whole life of devotion to work such extremely good cover :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A28-urxUd8is the video reversed or is that a left-handed Strat strung & played right-handed?

Xplorer
06-27-10, 06:56 AM
no, the guitar is reversed, voodoo style. i saw him last week in Seattle. incredible player, he really understood jimi.
for the effects, don't look further than kr musical effects. it's deep hendrix tone, 200 % , i want a gypsy fuzz now.
and of course a nice plexi ! ; ) ( metroamp )

thunderbaas
06-30-10, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the link Xplorer,great version Randy Really Rocks on this impressive version.
Think he comes pretty close to jimi's sound.Sure must have been great to see this guy perform live. Hope he'll be around here in Europe some time.

All the best
Thunderbaas.

Xplorer
07-05-10, 05:41 AM
i saw him two weeks ago actualy, in seattle !
i'm in paris now.
he deserves the flight ; )
i started with the old dunlop univibe, not bad, deeper and better than the fulltone mini dejavibe that i've sold ( crap ) , and then, i have a roger mayer voodoo vibe, very nice but far away from jimi tones, and quite mecanic. but it's a very good pedal by itself, and the tremolo is great too. you can do many things with this pedal. and i keep it also because roger mayer signed it.
and endly, the marvellous megavibe, mine is really great. i bought it on ebay, expensive but as long as it has "that thing" it's fine for me. really really good. but some complain about it : might be because they seem to be all different a bit. but if you compare an unicord 69, you'll see the same board, and the same components, or almost the same.
the roger mayer octavia is really nice, really.
now i want the gypsy fuzz, or building a clone of it, but i can't find nice pictures , detailed pictures. if someone can post it that would be cool. it's just a fuzz, not a complicate circuit, easy to build. just need to know the layout and the components he choosed.

Xplorer
07-05-10, 05:52 AM
... there's something that you should try, if you didn't allready :
divide the guitar signal in tow signals, and with any univibe clone, use the vibrato with an amp, and a second amp straight , directly to the guitar signal : now blend them , and you'll have a vibe tone. the vibe tone is obtained directly into the pedal by blending the guitar signal straight, with the vibrato signal, to have a leslie effect, a simulation. but if you blend it yourself, through the amps, the sound, you'll have a very nice univibe/leslie tone. you have to try it, it's very nice.

bandit
07-05-10, 06:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v1lBqFJ1yw

heres a guy on you tube that swears by roger mayer pedals.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sabtahi13#p/u/129/hMVNaPmQmZg (http://www.youtube.com/user/sabtahi13#p/u/12/T_hDnK9Og1Y)

The Midnight
07-21-10, 03:06 PM
Hi there. I've owned a Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe it's a good pedal...but like a lot of his gear it doesn't quite live up to the 'hype'. I now own a UniVibe with an expression pedal and I love it to bits, amazing pedal...If your looking for that 'Machine gun' sound this is it.
One Roger Mayer pedal that I have kept and still use is the Axis Fuzz, great pedal unlike most fuzz pedals your guitar doesn't end up being a dull 'fuzzy' mess, you can play chords with this and still hear the individual strings.

Freedom
07-24-10, 11:28 AM
I now own a UniVibe with an expression pedal and I love it to bits, amazing pedal...If your looking for that 'Machine gun' sound this is it.

Which univibe exactly? The Dunlop UV-1?

One Roger Mayer pedal that I have kept and still use is the Axis Fuzz, great pedal unlike most fuzz pedals your guitar doesn't end up being a dull 'fuzzy' mess, you can play chords with this and still hear the individual strings.

+1

cartman
08-02-10, 05:06 AM
i got one of these..... its the shit!
digitech Jimi Hendrix Experience effects pedal demo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIDfcVwBcdM&feature=related

isolated fx & fx combos put together w/ eddie kramer...
http://www.digitech.com/Classic/JimiHendrix.php

got mine new $150 import about 18 months ago....

Models - 7 way selector

1. Purple Haze
Intro and solo: Based on: Fuzz Face™*; 100-Watt Marshall® * Super
Lead™* Amp; EMT Plate Reverb; Roger Mayer Octavia (solo)

2. Little Wing
Intro and Solo: Based on: 100-Watt Marshall®* Super Lead™* Amp;
Miniature Rotary Speaker (Homemade at Olympic Studios in England)

3. Voodoo Child
Intro and Solo: Based on: Vox® * Clyde McCoy Wah™*; Brown
Fender®* Bassman™* Amplifier; EMT Plate Reverb

4. All Along the Watchtower
Intro and Solo: Based on: Acoustic Guitar; 100-Watt Marshall®*
Super Lead™* Amplifier; EMT Plate Reverb

5. Foxey Lady
The intro and solo use a DallasArbiter™ Fuzz Face™ distortion pedal,
a Marshall™ 100 watt Super Lead™ amp, and an EMT Plate reverb.

6. Star Spangled Banner (woodstock) / Machine Gun
Jimi used a Unicord™ Univibe™ pedal, Marshall™ 100 watt Super
Lead™ amp, and a hall reverb. The solo adds a Dallas Arbiter™ Fuzz Face™.

7. Wind Cries Mary
The intro and solo both feature an EMT Plate Reverb and a Marshall
100 watt Super Lead™ amplifier.

soccertackle14
11-19-10, 01:47 PM
I didnt want to take up space with a new post topic for a tiny question so I decided to ask here... When they are playing tune up time blues before Machine Gun at Isle of Wight, you can see Hendrix messing with a box by Mitch's drums. Im assuming this is an effects pedal, but does anyone know what kind? And if not an effects pedal, will someone please enlighten me as to what it is! Thanks

manfree
11-19-10, 02:29 PM
Dont know for sure, but didn`t Jimi keep his Recorder next to the Drum Kit?

soccertackle14
11-19-10, 03:21 PM
Hmm. Not sure. But I wouldnt think that would be something you would go over to and mess with mid show? Did he ever say what he intended to do with all of his "home recordings" of shows?

Sharpstat
11-19-10, 05:39 PM
In the IOW film doesn't Jimi ask Gerry Stickells right before he goes out if they're recording the show?

J.Lucas
11-19-10, 05:47 PM
.......... before Machine Gun at Isle of Wight, you can see Hendrix messing with a box by Mitch's drums. Im assuming this is an effects pedal, but does anyone know what kind?
http://home.comcast.net/%7Elucasj1210/pwpimages/pedal1.jpg

I believe that is part of the old univibe(remember this was 40 years ago)...it is connected to a foot controlled expression pedal(can be seen in the video as well)....
you can see Jimi pull the foot pedal forward just prior to adjusting the main box...he hits his 'A' string while adjusting to hear the 'vibe'...and you can hear the pops and clicks as he turns the switches...on some of the bootleg live shows you can sometime hear him slowing or speeding up the univibe.
I think at Woodstock he pretty much used the same setting all the way thru when he needed it....at Wight there were so many things 'f*cking up' sound wise ...I think he was just trying to figure out how to keep control of the sh*t sound situation by(switching guitars,pedals,settings,etc)
At Fillmore he was turned to basically a bit lower than 'D' for Machine Gun..
which gave it that warm,fatter sound...that and aslo it was an 'interior' concert..not outside like Wight...outside recordings always sounded drier, raunchy and less warm to me...
Wight he's tuned to 'D#'..it may not seem like much but just a semi-tone can make a hell of a difference in the way a guitar can sound.

J.L.
Late 60's ..early 70's Univibe(single rubber)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/RedShack3/EFFECTS008.jpg

soccertackle14
11-19-10, 06:26 PM
Thats exactly what I was talking about. Thanks for taking the time to explain thatthumbup1

Dolly Dagger
11-19-10, 06:34 PM
Yes, as said a few posts ago it is a Shin-Ei (or UniVox, I cant remember) Uni-Vibe with a foot pedal to adjust the speed of the 'swirls'. My roommates dad has one (among many other pedals and guitars, he's a longtime guitar collector) and it's not exactly 'built like a tank'. It's really temperamental and I played it only twice, one time it was flawless, the other time it produced a really high 'hiss' and 'squeal'. Maybe it's age, or maybe they really were just temperamental like the Fuzz tones were. But at IOW, everything was a train wreck equipment-wise. Amps picked up radio signals, the Wah squealed, the Strat just wouldn't keep in tune for more then 3 minutes of play, and was just a weird atmosphere on the recording. Personally I love it, I can't say why.

But the things make a beautiful sound!

Dolly Dagger
11-19-10, 06:54 PM
And while on this thread.. I just got a late 60's Vox Wah from my roommate's dad, beautiful sound.

Strat -> Vox Wah -> Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe -> Cheap little Fender Showman 25w. All my little college dorm will allow. :(

soccertackle14
11-19-10, 06:55 PM
Yes, as said a few posts ago it is a Shin-Ei (or UniVox, I cant remember) Uni-Vibe with a foot pedal to adjust the speed of the 'swirls'. My roommates dad has one (among many other pedals and guitars, he's a longtime guitar collector) and it's not exactly 'built like a tank'. It's really temperamental and I played it only twice, one time it was flawless, the other time it produced a really high 'hiss' and 'squeal'. Maybe it's age, or maybe they really were just temperamental like the Fuzz tones were. But at IOW, everything was a train wreck equipment-wise. Amps picked up radio signals, the Wah squealed, the Strat just wouldn't keep in tune for more then 3 minutes of play, and was just a weird atmosphere on the recording. Personally I love it, I can't say why.

But the things make a beautiful sound!
Im kinda like you. I know the show was a mess, but theres something about the flaws that remind me of the time. The fact that they were just going on stage, cranking their stuff to 10 and making unbelievable sounds. I love the radio signals at the start of Machine Gun, to me it seems like hendrix eventually gets fed up and starts fighting them. Just me, but I dig it. I cant stand it when any of those types of difficulties are edited out

Dolly Dagger
11-19-10, 07:01 PM
Im kinda like you. I know the show was a mess, but theres something about the flaws that remind me of the time. The fact that they were just going on stage, cranking their stuff to 10 and making unbelievable sounds. I love the radio signals at the start of Machine Gun, to me it seems like hendrix eventually gets fed up and starts fighting them. Just me, but I dig it. I cant stand it when any of those types of difficulties are edited out

He was obviously fed up by the end, where he throws his strat down after 'In From The Storm'. During Red House you can see him just stand there for a few seconds, stare out into space and just exhale deeply like he was just tired and wanted to be back in a studio. Maybe i'm just playing into it too much, maybe he was just tired (it was 2 a.m!), but I always thought he'd rather have been sitting in the studio ironing out what he thought were 'flaws' in his experimental tracks.

But you know. :rasta:

Vibratory
11-19-10, 07:06 PM
Years ago I was on a Unovibe quest and couldnt find a decent sounding one.
The dunlop shit was just awful and I burnt it cos I hated it.
Then someone suggested using a Mojovibe. This one is built by a guy in his workshop. He builts custom fx for all sorts of celeb players. There is no waiting list and the mojovibe sounds the best imo. It has a nice wobble which in other clones usually sound weak. Using my SG with humbucker pickups it sounds exactly as IOW and KB Hallen.
FX are funny things and its dependant on quality of your guitar and cables.
I once had a cheapo fuzz and I realised by resoldering the jacks and adding extra thick layer of solder the fuzz sounded warm anf fuzzy kind of like Atlanta sound. Also in the 60s germanium was used in the transistors which picked up radio signals. modern fuzzes use different materials. you can still buy germanium fuzzes but beware of radio interference. All in all I dislike all the factory built FX except the roger mayer rocket series which are awesome sounding. the mojovibe comes without a pedal but you can use any volume footpedal for this.

there are many custom fx builders out there who do a better job at replicating vintage sounds then the big names. shop around b4 buying those factory built knock-offs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M19JU_7js9o

breathe
12-23-10, 01:03 PM
Captain Coconut(original), Teese Wah, Haze Vibe...Captain Coconut by FoxRox is unreal. It's so good. I'd like to also get a Captain Coconut 2. The vibe sounds exactly right by Foxrox.

backfromthestorm
12-24-10, 07:58 AM
KR Mega Vibe, (or Fulltone Vibe, their ok actually) NKT275 or Silicon Analogman Sunface fuzz (fantastic). Vintage late 60`s Crybaby. (you just cant get a wah that makes them sounds these days). Fender Strat! Big Marshalls!!!!!

The Fulltone Tonebender is a great pedal. Does that peace in Misissippi thing perfect. Really roars.

The Earth Blues
12-24-10, 08:20 PM
Years ago I was on a Unovibe quest and couldnt find a decent sounding one.
The dunlop shit was just awful and I burnt it cos I hated it.
Then someone suggested using a Mojovibe. This one is built by a guy in his workshop. He builts custom fx for all sorts of celeb players. There is no waiting list and the mojovibe sounds the best imo. It has a nice wobble which in other clones usually sound weak. Using my SG with humbucker pickups it sounds exactly as IOW and KB Hallen.
FX are funny things and its dependant on quality of your guitar and cables.
I once had a cheapo fuzz and I realised by resoldering the jacks and adding extra thick layer of solder the fuzz sounded warm anf fuzzy kind of like Atlanta sound. Also in the 60s germanium was used in the transistors which picked up radio signals. modern fuzzes use different materials. you can still buy germanium fuzzes but beware of radio interference. All in all I dislike all the factory built FX except the roger mayer rocket series which are awesome sounding. the mojovibe comes without a pedal but you can use any volume footpedal for this.

there are many custom fx builders out there who do a better job at replicating vintage sounds then the big names. shop around b4 buying those factory built knock-offs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M19JU_7js9o
I had both the Mojovibe and the Megavibe and I think the Mojo is a lot better, but that's just me.

However I an currently selling one on ebay as I just don't use the vibe enough with my sounds to warrant me having one. Do a search if you have interest in purchasing it, "crosstowntrafficsigns" is the ebay name.

breathe
12-27-10, 12:40 AM
KR Mega Vibe, (or Fulltone Vibe, their ok actually) NKT275 or Silicon Analogman Sunface fuzz (fantastic). Vintage late 60`s Crybaby. (you just cant get a wah that makes them sounds these days). Fender Strat! Big Marshalls!!!!!

The Fulltone Tonebender is a great pedal. Does that peace in Misissippi thing perfect. Really roars.

Sure you can get a wah that makes those sounds these days! It's an RMC Picture Wah. It's an exact copy of a 1967 Clyde McCoy. It's the best wah I have ever played. Every gig I play at, someone comes up and compliments me on how good the wah sounds. No shit...

edsounds
03-15-13, 01:39 AM
It has been a long time hasn't it ... I recently picked up what I think is a pretty decent Univibe called The Sabbadius Funky Vibe, doesn't have a variable speed pedal so is somewhat limited but so far It's sounds pretty good for the price, sounds best last inline before the amp.Thanks to all for all the good info in this thread!! would anyone know if the megavibe is still being made and if so, is it available and is he any easier to deal with these days....also any opinions on the older dunlop hendrix reissue bc108 silicone (greyish-blue) fuzz. Looking for a warm fuzz that is responsive to volume changes on guitar ..cleans up etc..:jimi: old school..

Lord Summerisle
03-15-13, 03:20 PM
The best Uni Vibe clone out there now is the Castledine one.

BobJahBob
03-15-13, 09:09 PM
There's actually some really good clones out there, The MJM Sixties vibe i tried recently was a really nice one, I have a Wilson Haze vibe which has a real nice throb I'm yet to use it with an expression pedal but i will.

lateralus
03-16-13, 07:58 AM
I'm a bass player who wanted that Univibe sound. I have a Perscription Electronics 'Vibe Unit'. Very cool sounds, no expression pedal but that works fine for my needs.

edsounds
03-16-13, 11:51 AM
Thanks. I've heard good things about the Castledine too. gonna look up the MJM and Wilson haze see what
youtube has to offer. OP....Does anyone have regards and opinions on the dodgey subject of... the
Older dunlop BC 108 silicon fuzz (bluish grey looking) hendrix fuzz,

carlygtr56
03-16-13, 01:10 PM
Thanks. I've heard good things about the Castledine too. gonna look up the MJM and Wilson haze see what
youtube has to offer. OP....Does anyone have regards and opinions on the dodgey subject of... the

The Castledine is the one as far as I'm concerned. Most clones are excellent.

The blue Hendrix Fuzz Face was very good. It gets the later silicon Hendrix live tones like Atlanta, Rainbow Bridge, IOW, etc. Keep an eye out for the Dunlop mini Fuzz Faces. There are a germanium and 2 silicon, one being the Hendrix fuzz.

Here's the Castledine-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDFYBb4g7Gc

Lord Summerisle
03-16-13, 08:32 PM

Contact Stu Castledine about the Vibe, he's a really nice bloke. He's actually making me a Germanium and Silicon fuzz face in one big enclosure, can't wait.

edsounds
03-17-13, 02:55 PM
Wow, I like this demo better then the one one Stu's site, It does sound nice.mabe the strat/marshall is the difference, This is def a step up from the Sabbidius. much appreciated carlygtr56 and lord summerisle, gonna look into the Dunlop mini Fuzz Faces.
I think I put the sabbidius above all 150-250$ vibes, got mine used for 150$
Seems like the Castledine,KR,dunlop etc, are on a higher level. Castledine w/speedpedal shipped to
New Jersey usa is over 500$ I'll have to work oh that one.Used fuzz's come up for sale often 'round here
on CL. :treasure:

woof
03-18-13, 11:41 AM
my "vintage" effects
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjEo8bJC

Fender Bassman Ten > (Crest Audio) Fuzz Face > Shin-ei Uni-Vibe > Vox Wah V846 > Fender Stratocaster

edsounds
03-18-13, 04:20 PM
Sweet !! It's like walking into a Museum. No doubt some good sounds coming from that studio !!

Sharpstat
03-19-13, 06:00 PM
I looked at the Flickr pictures and have to say my Univibe is in very good condition! Nice set of photos. :wink:

woof
03-20-13, 02:54 PM
Vintage Effects Museum
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjEqa11C

stratoblaster
05-19-13, 08:32 PM
well ill put my two cents in. i purchased the digi tech jimi hendrix pedal ,it has 5 or 6 diff settings includeding the woodstock sound combo and the machine gun sounding setting .to my ears this pedal recreates the woodstock and machine tone faithfully! the rason i bought the pedal was i figured i would sdave money rather than buying 3 diff. pedals. in fact i think it also has octvia sound! i haven;t used the pedal in ages! ill have to break it out!come to think of it the pedal dose a grat job in recreating the classic wah wah for voodoo chile! in fact i think digi tech refers to it as the voodoo chile setting!

goodluck i know this stuff can be cobfusing1
stratoblaster

johanincr
07-12-13, 11:31 AM
http://youtu.be/1vfBb1FgXxo

I got this new cheapo Behringer pedal, its a leslie emulator. Works quite well together with the also very cheapo Danelectro cool cat vibe.
Next up: The cry baby comparison video. Dont hold your breath :-)