PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl pressings

purple jim
08-12-09, 04:07 AM
As we all know, Experience Hendrix have re-released Jimi's albums on 180g vinyl. How do these recent pressings compare to the original Reprise vinyls in terms of sound quality ?

purple jim
08-24-09, 08:37 AM
Has nobody got an opinion on this matter ?

MourningStar
08-24-09, 10:55 AM
^
I am going to make a real poor guess and say that it's because no one has both sets to make the comparison. Yes?

:confused:

MourningStar
08-24-09, 11:05 AM
Oh wait! I do seem to recall a discussion stating that the current EH vinyl were produced from digital sources whereas the original releases (USA/Foreign) were analog source (obviously). I don't remember the out come or if the discussion was here or at Electric Sky Church. What I can say is I have original releases of both USA and german-manufactured vinyl and the german sonic quality is superior to the Reprise (at least mine are) as is the the vinyl material itself (thicker and stiffer) and the cover (very glossy, like a photograph with plastic-lined insert sleeve).

:)

dino77
08-24-09, 11:57 AM
It seems pointless to make vinyl sourced from digital remasters...you're polluting the source, as audiophiles would say!

cleanuponaisle76
08-24-09, 01:06 PM
vinyl pressings based on digital = fail

Experiencereunited
09-10-12, 06:36 PM
Reviving this thread for the vinyl heads out there. Unfortunately for me I sold almost all my reprise pressings a long time ago during the transition from Vinyl to CD era.

What I can compare is First Rays to Cry of Love and Rainbow Bridge. Although First Rays on vinyl is light years beyond the CD version I still prefer my pressings of Cry of Love and Rainbow Bridge. Rainbow Bridge in particular is just so smooth and pleasant to the ear.

Here is a great interview with Bob Weir on the current technical state of music, how horrid mp3s are, CDs and analog and I particularly like the segment between 7:27 and 9:00 minutes. Same thing I have been saying for years now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfjjzZvYnkE

Interesting hearing Bobby say what he says in that not only did consumers buy the whole digital CD wave as better than vinyl in the 80's but musicians obviously did too. Also interesting that GD never did embrace releasing vinyl once the CD era came about (until very recently with a couple of test releases) the way EH did but did in fact go with only HDCDs after a certain point. At least they get credit for that. Also a lot of GD songs and sequences simply would not fit on one album side!

Keep in mind before CDs came out everyone would say this music would be so awesome if only we could get rid of crackles, pops and hiss. Prior to CDs there was no such thing as music without those things only minimized as much as possible through great equipment and constant cleaning. When technology finally offered music without those things I think society was collectively wowed by the fact you could get rid of these imperfections so much so that the loss of fidelity and depth was ignored until people started waking up and saying why don't I enjoy music like I used to? Or why can't I seem to listen to it as long as I did before without wanting to simply turn it off?

Fenders Fingers
09-11-12, 07:36 AM
Reviving this thread for the vinyl heads out there. Unfortunately for me I sold almost all my reprise pressings a long time ago during the transition from Vinyl to CD era.

What I can compare is First Rays to Cry of Love and Rainbow Bridge. Although First Rays on vinyl is light years beyond the CD version I still prefer my pressings of Cry of Love and Rainbow Bridge. Rainbow Bridge in particular is just so smooth and pleasant to the ear.

Here is a great interview with Bob Weir on the current technical state of music, how horrid mp3s are, CDs and analog and I particularly like the segment between 7:27 and 9:00 minutes. Same thing I have been saying for years now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfjjzZvYnkE

Interesting hearing Bobby say what he says in that not only did consumers buy the whole digital CD wave as better than vinyl in the 80's but musicians obviously did too. Also interesting that GD never did embrace releasing vinyl once the CD era came about (until very recently with a couple of test releases) the way EH did but did in fact go with only HDCDs after a certain point. At least they get credit for that. Also a lot of GD songs and sequences simply would not fit on one album side!

Keep in mind before CDs came out everyone would say this music would be so awesome if only we could get rid of crackles, pops and hiss. Prior to CDs there was no such thing as music without those things only minimized as much as possible through great equipment and constant cleaning. When technology finally offered music without those things I think society was collectively wowed by the fact you could get rid of these imperfections so much so that the loss of fidelity and depth was ignored until people started waking up and saying why don't I enjoy music like I used to? Or why can't I seem to listen to it as long as I did before without wanting to simply turn it off?

Big differences of course between digital sourced vinyl and analogue sourced. Thing is, when we put the vinyl on the platter, just how easy is it to notice the difference? I found it very hard until recently. That was down to a change of HiFi gear. Now that I have a change it seems even my CD's sound better, well no. Not seems, actually do sound better. Plus the fatigue has gone from listening to none anaolgue sourced material. Another bonus is how "brickwalled" mastering sounds. So much less noticable in terms of ease of listening.
It seems when the industry changed over to digital as it's main outlet via CD they (the industry) appear to have been listening to playback on better equipment than us regular folk.
Another thing I have noted over the last few months is that the better the CD player the better the playback. If you put a red book CD on an expensive CD player it does just as good a job of HDCD's!

Crackles and pops? Once cleaned vinyl can and does sound better the you invest in audio gear. A very clean sound can be achieved for modest outlay but not modest enough for many.

Berkeley 2012 pressing is all analogue and beats the digital 2004 pressing hands down. Vinyl listeners are advised to get a copy, you will not be disappointed.

Luigi
09-11-12, 07:42 AM
Vinil Axis MONO (Track), for me, has the best sound of all

Fenders Fingers
09-11-12, 10:33 AM
Vinil Axis MONO (Track), for me, has the best sound of all

Do you own or have heard the repress mono Axis from EH / Classic Records, 2000?

Sharpstat
09-11-12, 01:17 PM
It all depends on how well you take care of your vinyl. I have the original Reprise releases and although a bit noisy they survived many times being played by using a decent turntable and arm combo and more importantly cleaning them but when dirty or dusty actually washing them in mild detergent and warm water rinse. Wiping the surface with a brush like the Discwasher brush before playing also helped. I guess I'm old!

Fenders Fingers
09-11-12, 02:23 PM
It all depends on how well you take care of your vinyl. I have the original Reprise releases and although a bit noisy they survived many times being played by using a decent turntable and arm combo and more importantly cleaning them but when dirty or dusty actually washing them in mild detergent and warm water rinse. Wiping the surface with a brush like the Discwasher brush before playing also helped. I guess I'm old!

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif][if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-GB</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:EnableOpenTypeKerning/> <w:DontFlipMirrorIndents/> <w:OverrideTableStyleHps/> </w:Compatibility> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="&#45;-"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif][if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif][if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} </style> <![endif]--> To an extent taking care of your vinyl like this will help (though washing only works fully when you clean the groove both ways AND you vacuum it after washing). I have noticed a difference between the different styli I have used over the last few years and how they perform. I have used three different Ortofon MM cartridges over the last few years, Red, Blue and Black. Sure the more costly the better they performed but also the cut of the diamond makes for a difference in how the vinyl sounds.
Up until recently they have all "worked" similarly. The big difference is the Black, the diamond is really cut differently, so much so that the "footprint" is radically different to the others and reads the information from deeper in the groove. This design was originally for the quad vinyl, it had to read four channels and not two for stereo. With a smaller footprint it can not only reach deeper into the groove, almost a virgin area on old pressings, but also it allows for less wear on the vinyl itself.
This along with other factors can and does have quite an effect on how much “cleaner” your vinyl sounds. The new speakers quite surprisingly, also smoothed out the crackle and pop of my older vinyl even more.
When I had chance to use an SME TT and arm earlier this year (through a set of Harbeth speakers) this had an even greater impact on how the vinyl sounded.

Still, cleaning and basic care is key because serious wear / damage cannot be overcome no mateer what you spend on gear.

Luigi
09-11-12, 05:56 PM
I own the first printing Track 612003 MONO (in excellent condition)

Sharpstat
09-11-12, 07:18 PM
To an extent taking care of your vinyl like this will help (though washing only works fully when you clean the groove both ways AND you vacuum it after washing). I have noticed a difference between the different styli I have used over the last few years and how they perform. I have used three different Ortofon MM cartridges over the last few years, Red, Blue and Black. Sure the more costly the better they performed but also the cut of the diamond makes for a difference in how the vinyl sounds.
Up until recently they have all "worked" similarly. The big difference is the Black, the diamond is really cut differently, so much so that the "footprint" is radically different to the others and reads the information from deeper in the groove. This design was originally for the quad vinyl, it had to read four channels and not two for stereo. With a smaller footprint it can not only reach deeper into the groove, almost a virgin area on old pressings, but also it allows for less wear on the vinyl itself.
This along with other factors can and does have quite an effect on how much “cleaner” your vinyl sounds. The new speakers quite surprisingly, also smoothed out the crackle and pop of my older vinyl even more.
When I had chance to use an SME TT and arm earlier this year (through a set of Harbeth speakers) this had an even greater impact on how the vinyl sounded.

Still, cleaning and basic care is key because serious wear / damage cannot be overcome no mateer what you spend on gear.

I swear you were thinking the same thought as me,LOL. I was going to mention the Ortofon black as it pairs well with the SME arm which sadly I was talked out of buying. It has a sweet top end doesn't it? Detail but not harsh or added sibilance on vocals. I was going to use that combo with a Thorens TD-160 I had at the time. I ended up trading it in towards an Oracle. Harbeths are known for their sweet "midrange" and smooth top end IIRC?

Experiencereunited
09-11-12, 09:43 PM
Berkeley 2012 pressing is all analogue and beats the digital 2004 pressing hands down Really? I think my 2K4 pressing is one of the best vinyl records I have. Can't imagine it sounding much better. Not sure I could handle it. I love my 2K4 pressing. The quality of the show and vinyl truly do Jimi justice. When do we get the early show on vinyl!?

Luigi
09-12-12, 12:09 AM

Some years ago i have found ultra rare Axis mono Reprise, cost € 1.500,00 (now surely cost more) but I have not bought. Too much for my pockets

J.Lucas
09-12-12, 05:10 AM
....Crackles and pops? Once cleaned vinyl can and does sound better the you invest in audio gear. A very clean sound can be achieved for modest outlay but not modest enough for many.copy, you will not be ...
:)........Couldn't resist

Fenders Fingers
09-12-12, 07:33 AM

I have both and find it hard to hear any difference between them, that's how good the repress is.
Price's are now quite high even for the repress but a good search can and will throw up a bargin for those looking to hear this as it sounds on the original Track issue.

Fenders Fingers
09-12-12, 07:37 AM
Really? I think my 2K4 pressing is one of the best vinyl records I have. Can't imagine it sounding much better. Not sure I could handle it. I love my 2K4 pressing. The quality of the show and vinyl truly do Jimi justice. When do we get the early show on vinyl!?

God know's, that early show (on any format) would be ever so welcome.

Yes, a huge improvement to my ears at least. What makes the difference is the lack of the harsh edge from the digital mastered version. Also, the latter pressing is clearly "blacker" than the previous press.
You will not regret getting this, I don't recommend it lightly or out of hand. Best $'s spent on vinyl this year :-)

Luigi
09-12-12, 07:48 AM
I have both and find it hard to hear any difference between them, that's how good the repress is.
Price's are now quite high even for the repress but a good search can and will throw up a bargin for those looking to hear this as it sounds on the original Track issue.
I have also EH "Classic Records"

jeffhmason
09-12-12, 10:11 AM
Best $'s spent on vinyl this year :-)

Have you tried that ZS 40th Anniversary LP through your new speakers ;)?

Fenders Fingers
09-12-12, 01:11 PM
Have you tried that ZS 40th Anniversary LP through your new speakers ;)?

Only done the two pressings of Berkeley thru' them so far, well from the Hendrix vinyl anyway.
Looking forward to having a good session soon. Really check out the differences between the recent legacy stuff against the mca / universal pressings. But more importantly, enjoying the music like never before :-)