PDA

View Full Version : The ultimate Jimi Chord

univibs
08-18-09, 05:05 PM
let's do a survey, your opinion about what is the ultimate Jimi Guitar chord, that he used on many of his songs. and also what was his special chords, the ones that he used and gave magic to his tunes....

karsten
08-18-09, 07:31 PM
Definately the #9 chord!
Foxy Lady, Purple Haze, Voodoo Child etc.
Don't think it was really used that much before Hendrix..

Voodoo Kush
08-18-09, 10:59 PM
Yes, #9 and the Intro Chords to Angel. There's a slew of others i use but don't know the names ;)

Who Knows
04-07-11, 10:21 PM
Is the #9 chord aka the "Hendrix chord"?

From low to high it goes (in E):
E - open
B - 2nd fret
E - 2nd fret
G# - 1st fret
D - 3rd fret
G - 3rd fret

or
E - open
E - 7th fret
G# - 6th fret
D - 7th fret
G- 8th fret
high E string not played

Spencer Davis "borrowed" that chord for I'm A Man, btw.

He used a lot of nice chords in Red House too.

Dolly Dagger
04-07-11, 10:25 PM
isnt it the G9 chord? i dont remember. i just call it the purple haze chord. bands i was in used to hate it when i'd say "i dont remember what it is, but it was in this one song"

Who Knows
04-07-11, 10:29 PM
I don't think it's a G9 because of the G#.

It's like a E7/9 blues chord, with the 9th (F#) being raised one fret to G.

Dolly Dagger
04-07-11, 10:34 PM
I don't think it's a G9 because of the G#.

It's like a E7/9 blues chord, with the 9th (F#) being raised one fret to G.

your right (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hendrix_chord)

J.Lucas
04-07-11, 11:33 PM
Definately the #9 chord!
Foxy Lady, Purple Haze, Voodoo Child etc.
Don't think it was really used that much before Hendrix..

I'm pretty sure it's used in Jazz often and some R&B....
Jimi's use brought it into the 'world view'...hence it became known as the 'Hendrix chord'..

J.Lucas
04-08-11, 12:04 AM
isnt it the G9 chord? i dont remember. i just call it the purple haze chord. bands i was in used to hate it when i'd say "i dont remember what it is, but it was in this one song"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hendrix_chord
Purple Haze and all the others make use of the #9th..
I always felt those give a kind of 'razor edge'or'rough/harsh'' feel to them.
He worked them well for say 'heavy''harder' sounding songs..(Midnight,etc)
you will rarely hear a #9th is any of his 'mellow' songs.
a regular 9th(to me) is a bit more mellow...he seemed to use them very effectively for closing songs
live and studio...going up(Astro Man...Freedom) the neck or down(Lover Man live) or even to bridge a gap(Come On: Part 1)
can't really say what the 'ultimate' one would be...most recognized is for sure the #9th...pick up any guitar at a music shop or party...strum a few #9ths and someone is bound to yell out 'Hey! Hendrix"..
just like years ago...when you would pick up a acoustic ...and the 1st thing you hear is "Can you play 'Stairway to Heaven?'...
I'm sure some of you guys/girls must be able to relate to those days......:)
J.L.

Ezy Rider
04-08-11, 01:17 AM
^ :-)

Yes, definitely the #9 chord. Another chord, if it can be called a chord that is, comes to mind as one that was made famous by Jimi and used throughout his songs. I don't even know if it has got a name but it is that double note chord you can hear for example in the slides of Third Stone from the Sun. He also uses it in I Don't Live Today and Ezy Ryder to name a few. He further was able to incorporate in his solos, which I find quite amazing.

It is not a chord, but I find Jimi's use of open strings also quite exceptional. It gives his chords a longer ring and richer sound as well as some dissonant sounds, very nice!

pederpropell
04-08-11, 01:36 AM
Yes, #9 and the Intro Chords to Angel. There's a slew of others i use but don't know the names ;)

H,ha,ha! I agree upon that!!

PP

Who Knows
04-08-11, 01:50 AM
I feel like a goob...I just figured out "#9" means sharp 9th instead of "number 9".

Fenders Fingers
04-08-11, 02:50 AM
I remember a radio b-cast awhile ago from the BBC in which it dealt with the History of the "Hendrix Chord".
I'll see if I can dig it out.
Sure some art work was done for it too so maybe one or two of you folk have it as well :-)

thunderbaas
04-08-11, 05:05 AM
just like years ago...when you would pick up a acoustic ...and the 1st thing you hear is "Can you play 'Stairway to Heaven?'...
I'm sure some of you guys/girls must be able to relate to those days......:)
J.L.

How about "House of The Rising Sun" by the animals,I'm from that generation,and though it's a great song ,heard it so often that I can not hear it and keep serious LOL
Though some guys on my high school,playing "stairway" on recorder (wood flute) wearing a green cape gave me some trauma's also LOL
You guys should check out Zappa's version of "Stairway",it's on "the best band you never heard in your life"
It's hilarious!!!

bowsher
04-08-11, 08:30 AM
^ :-)

Yes, definitely the #9 chord. Another chord, if it can be called a chord that is, comes to mind as one that was made famous by Jimi and used throughout his songs. I don't even know if it has got a name but it is that double note chord you can hear for example in the slides of Third Stone from the Sun. He also uses it in I Don't Live Today and Ezy Ryder to name a few. He further was able to incorporate in his solos, which I find quite amazing.

It is not a chord, but I find Jimi's use of open strings also quite exceptional. It gives his chords a longer ring and richer sound as well as some dissonant sounds, very nice!

The 'chord' in those tunes is really just the use of two notes an octave apart. You hear that alot (and 6th runs) in Wes Montgomery's work, who we know Jimi appreciated from his record colelction (always laughed at the guy who says 'Wes Montgomery' to his friend on the first Gypsys concert at Fillmore when Jimi busts out some great octave runs in the last verse of Bleeding Heart!). It is surprising really how few people make use of octave runs in their soloing - Jimi was superb at it. A prime example coming to mind right now is Stone Free at Atlanta 1970.

Fenders Fingers
04-08-11, 10:03 AM
6th'S are used by many. Found in country, blues, rock, jazz. The better guitarist <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-GB</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:EnableOpenTypeKerning/> <w:DontFlipMirrorIndents/> <w:OverrideTableStyleHps/> </w:Compatibility> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="&#45;-"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} </style> <![endif]-->embellishes this simple technique.

pederpropell
04-08-11, 10:06 AM
I really like the ending chord in Beginning (War Heroes). its a E chord in 12. fret and has a 6.th and a 7. as well (D-G#-B). And whats that great chord in the "chorus" in If 6 was 9???

Pederpropell

J.Lucas
04-08-11, 03:26 PM
I really like the ending chord in Beginning (War Heroes). its a E chord in 12. fret and has a 6.th and a 7. as well (D-G#-B).

Yeah...E13....great 'accent' chord ....B13 closing chord of 'Crash Landing'...
Bb13..is that cool....note-picked chord that bridges...'Villanove Junction' live Woodstock version

And whats that great chord in the "chorus" in If 6 was 9???
Pederpropell
I think it's the A9...same chord in same position used in 'Are You Experienced'...backward strummed(with finger??) right before the lead starts..
7389http://crosstowntorrents.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Sharpstat
04-09-11, 02:06 PM
For me it will always be "Hey Baby" and it's opening chord after he hits the open E.

J.Lucas
04-09-11, 06:10 PM
let's do a survey, your opinion about what is the ultimate Jimi Guitar chord, that he used on many of his songs. and also what was his special chords, the ones that he used and gave magic to his tunes....

Being the thread starter....I'm curious...can I ask what your 'view/take' on this subject is?
Thank you
J.L.

serp
04-10-11, 10:12 AM
This isa beautiful chord I use a lot.. and variations of this chord were used in angel, and in bolero but the song i figured it out from was scorpio woman,

basically its interesting to play and actually quite easy once you get it and i'm positive he would have played it in the same manner

anyway here we go:

the two 11's (A and D strings) you play with ONE finger which is your middle finger

shift this down 2 frets to

then down to

then down one fret to

and there you have the scorpio woman intro

univibs
04-10-11, 04:21 PM
Being the thread starter....I'm curious...can I ask what your 'view/take' on this subject is?
Thank you
J.L.

well it's all about learning, I as a guitar player used to sit for hours and trying to understand what he was doing, and after listening to the same song for let's say 100 times, and on the 101 time you suddenly hearing a new element like the "thunder" effect he did with the guitar on "the burning of the midnight lamp", in some point you starting to get lost, the chord thing is actually to go back to the basic patterns of his songs and to see what was more appealing to him in some songs and what was more sexy for him in most of his songs.

Purplz
04-10-11, 06:27 PM
This isa beautiful chord I use a lot.. and variations of this chord were used in angel, and in bolero but the song i figured it out from was scorpio woman,

basically its interesting to play and actually quite easy once you get it and i'm positive he would have played it in the same manner

anyway here we go:

the two 11's (A and D strings) you play with ONE finger which is your middle finger

shift this down 2 frets to

then down to

then down one fret to

and there you have the scorpio woman intro

Do you know the name of this chord?

J.Lucas
04-10-11, 08:07 PM
Do you know the name of this chord?

Scorpio/Bolero chord seems to be a 6th...but the open E on the bottom makes it different names in various positions...
here's a little 700k program called Super Guitar Finder...
I still use it(like today to see what it shows for a name)...
you just go to 'fretboard input' ..then just click where you want the notes and the names will come up in the little box..
here a cropped screen look....
you don't even have to install it...you can run it right in the RAR file...
it works great in reverse also...in the 'older days' when a book would have something like 'C7+5(-9)'..I hadn't the slightest idea of what it was...so this came in handy show different positions...
http://www.4shared.com/file/eQvAX8ke/SuperChordFinger5.html
J.L.

J.Lucas
04-10-11, 08:20 PM
well it's all about learning,

Absolutley.....information/idea exchanges....for sure...when I was into the 'garage band' stuff years back....I thoiught there was nothing better than jamming with anybody just to see how they would do it...see their variations ,etc...only problem I remember...is when the 'friggin' ego trip thing getting in the way sometimes....
books,tapes,DVDs,internet forums,etc...you name it....I learn from them all...see what I can use ...disregard the rest....try to find new things that will fit my physical limitations...

I as a guitar player used to sit for hours and trying to understand what he was doing, and after listening to the same song for let's say 100 times, and on the 101 time you suddenly hearing a new element like the "thunder" effect he did with the guitar on "the burning of the midnight lamp", in some point you starting to get lost, the chord thing is actually to go back to the basic patterns of his songs and to see what was more appealing to him in some songs and what was more sexy for him in most of his songs.

Yep.....the demos are the tracks that fascinate me these days...listening to the 'stripped down raw beginnings'...and then understanding why this or that was changed to the finished studio recording....some great learning stuff right here on CTT..Oh.thank you for responding....I was just curios as to maybe you had some 'hidden gem' to share..
J.L.

Purplz
04-11-11, 11:52 AM
I've been looking for a program like this for some time now. Thanks a million.

Edit: DO you know a free software like this program?

J.Lucas
04-11-11, 06:35 PM
I've been looking for a program like this for some time now. Thanks a million.

Edit: DO you know a free software like this program?

Yep....

http://www.blackbeltguitar.com/ChordScaleGenerator.php

04-12-11, 12:47 AM
He uses the same chord in a in third stone from the sun

bluesunday
04-12-11, 01:20 AM
Jimi's special chords are almost all used during the intro to Machine Gun from Norman '70. Absolutely sublime.

serp
04-12-11, 08:26 AM
Jimi's special chords are almost all used during the intro to Machine Gun from Norman '70. Absolutely sublime.

wow yeah that is one amazing intro, the source i found is very reverb drenched, is this the only source?

backfromthestorm
04-15-11, 11:58 AM
What?...E7#9! Without a doubt. THe Hendrix chord. And my fave too. ;-)

Hogtown
04-20-11, 05:50 PM
How about "House of The Rising Sun" by the animals,I'm from that generation,and though it's a great song ,heard it so often that I can not hear it and keep serious LOL
Though some guys on my high school,playing "stairway" on recorder (wood flute) wearing a green cape gave me some trauma's also LOL
You guys should check out Zappa's version of "Stairway",it's on "the best band you never heard in your life"
It's hilarious!!!

Purple Haze is covered on that album as well and they sing "'Scuse me while I kiss that guy"...

Anyway, I had a very strange English teacher in high school who somehow managed to pull out his guitar and play tunes to the class...not really part of the curriculum. HOWEVER, he once was making a point about poetry, why it rhymed, authorship, etc. and played three songs in a row to prove his point. They were:

1. An old English folk song
2. House of the Rising Sun
3. Stairway to Heaven

In effect they all managed to follow an intreresting pattern through history...

...what is the topic of this thread again??

Lord Summerisle
04-20-11, 09:35 PM
It's what he did with Major chords that I love so much. Rooting with his thumb and releasing his pinky to hit hammer on's, pull off's etc. As great a lead guitarist as he was, and his use of feedback etc it's his rhythm playing that I love the best. You'll all have seen it hundreds of times but check out his thumb work at Woodstock!

4RX3W7kEiS9f
04-22-11, 03:21 AM
Wouldn't it really be Eb7#9, since he was usually tuned a 1/2 step down?

Ezy Rider
10-27-11, 09:27 AM
an article on the "Hendrix chord":

http://pi.library.yorku.ca/dspace/bitstream/handle/10315/2886/Bliek_HendrixChord.pdf

Cherokee Mist
11-11-11, 01:45 PM
Ooo, I love this thread....one of my favs is the very last chord from Villanova Junction at Woodstock, a beauty....it goes like this

top {high E string } on 7th fret

I could listen to that all day.... My guitar tutor is Tim Slater...the guy who wrote the Black Beauty article in Guitarist mag back in the 90's { on another thread in CTT }...he showed me it amongst others.

Simple but beautiful.

Ezy Rider
11-12-11, 04:21 AM
It is very well possible that Jimi Hendrix got the sharp ninth chord from Billy Butler, the guitarist of Bill Doggett, who had a song called "Hold It" which was a hit in 1958, and the time when Hendrix was in his teens and started playing guitar. In the Winterland interview, after being asked about his main influences, Hendrix mentions, in this specific order, "Billy Butler, Muddy Waters, and Eddy Cochran," suggesting that Billy Butler ranked also as one of his first influences. Ironically, the ninth sharp chord popularized by Billy Butler, was first known as the "Hold It chord", and when Hendrix got a hold of it, it was known as the "Hendrix chord."

Instances of the seventh chord with a sharp ninth appear with some regularity in blues
and rhythm-and-blues of the 1950s and 1960s, but guitarist Billy Butler’s use of the
chord in Bill Doggett’s ‘Hold It’ (1958), subsequently popularised by James Brown in
the early 1960s as a ‘break tune’, proved to be so memorable that musicians began
referring to it as the ‘Hold It’ chord, at least until Hendrix ‘appropriated’ it through
‘Purple Haze’.

http://pi.library.yorku.ca/dspace/bitstream/handle/10315/2886/Bliek_HendrixChord.pdf

gregg
11-03-12, 07:10 PM
Look at this chord! http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_first_rays/5203855139/ (Hollywood Bowl soundcheck sept. 67)
I tried to play it and it sounds good, but i find it very hard to grip, even if i have very long fingers and i usually play with my thumb over the neck like Jimi!

bandit
11-04-12, 06:36 AM
Players must understand chord shapes with scales. the E7 with little finger/b string on 8 fret(f sharp) which is part of the E pentatonic scale and also introducing a partial transcribed piece of the E minor chord played in the A minor shape. Hendrix was a wizard at playing one chord rhythm and applying scales, the crossovers points with transcribed chords and lead scales in the same key giving color and flavor to the song. Test your own ability by finding all (for example) the D chords on the fretboard, overlaying a basic D scale to find the interaction points and build a rhythm around these points. the scales will become evident enabling one to create different chord shapes and fills, that still fit with the overall tone of the song. one will start notice the relationship between keys and the harmonics involved as one tries this with all the basic chords.

gregg
11-04-12, 12:36 PM
E |---|---|---|---| muted
B |---|---|---|---| muted
G |-X-|---|---|---| (index finger)
D |-X-|---|---|---| (index finger)
A |---|---|---|-X-| (ring finger))
E |---|---|---|---| muted

This is another chord that he uses on ''Castles Made Of Sand'' and ''Have You Ever Been (To Electric Ladyland)''

It's inside the major pentatonic box:

E |---|-0-|---|-0-|
B |---|-0-|---|-0-|
G |-X-|---|-0-|---|
D |-X-|---|---|-0-|
A |-0-|---|---|-X-|
E |---|-0-|---|-0-|