PDA

View Full Version : Unreleased Home Recordings Auction

RobbieRadio
08-20-09, 11:48 PM
A tape of unreleased home recordings was auctioned on April 28, 2009.
The Auction House put up a promotional video with audio samples on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbHm2OHzjEI

purple jim
08-21-09, 01:25 AM
According to the guy in the interview, 37 such tapes exist. If this is true it is bizarre that all the content has not yet come into circulation. We already konow a few tracks from bootlegs like "Acoustic jams", "Happy Birthday Jimi" and "Out In The Sun". The "Hear My Train" is not the "Jimi By Himself" version.

Blues Jam
Bringin' It On Home
Tears Of Rage
Hear My Train A Comin"
Instrumental
1983 Intro
Long Hot Summer Night (3 or 4 versions)
My Freind (2 versions)
Our Lovely Home (Snowballs In the Snow)

Jimi_Uchihaeyez
08-21-09, 02:12 AM
Someone sent me a PM on YouTube about the Tape and said he had a track listening of the tape and what it contains, he wasn't a company or anything, just another random user, but he shot me a email with a txt file containing what's in this next post.

Jimi_Uchihaeyez
08-21-09, 02:13 AM
JImi Hendrix apartment tape

Title order Jimi Hendrix Tape ¼ inch -15ips

Blue Jam 1.53 ( High speed 7/12 ips )
Bring it on home 2.54
Quiet slow blues 1.48
Tears of rage (Dylan) 5.22
Hear my train a comin’ 4.37
Songwriting riff .19
1983.. A merman I shall be 4.48
Long hot summer night (1) 2.03
Long hot summer night (2) 2.15
Long hot summer night (3) 2.36
Long hot summer night (4) 1.57
Song idea (Snowballs) .49
My friend full version 3.58
My friend full version with key change 4.20

Total: 39.03

Track1. 3 blues harmonica jams with Jimi on guitar and Paul Caruso on harp, these titles were recorded at 7 ½ ips and has guitar on one side and harmonica on the other. At correct speed approx 4 minutes.
Track 2. Has a lengthy version of Willie Dixon’s ‘Bring it on home’ with Harmonica on one and guitar on the other, the listener can tell Jimi is obviously enjoying himself.
Track 3. Is another blues jam, slow paced with predominantly harmonica and guitar.
Track 4. A very well composed version of Bob Dylan’s ‘Tears of Rage’ originally from The Basement Tapes 1967. This recording is lengthy with Jimi and Paul sharing harmonies on the chorus’s and Jimi doing wonderful lead vocals. The guitar and vocals are both panned separate and extremely clear. Jimi’s voice on this is very passionate as he has obviously interpreted the original very well.
Track 5. is another lengthy version of Jimi’s original ‘Hear my train a Comin’, aka (by Hendrix) "Getting My Heart Back Together Again, which has never been recorded, this way, on any definitive album so this is a another rare track in which Jimi is working hard to capture his true blues style. Played on electric guitar with harmonica and panned vocals. This version is faster than other recordings and performed exquisitely.
Track 6. is a short interesting songwriting riff Jimi obviously wanted to capture for later use, It is played in a distinctive Jimi style and sounds like it could be used on his Cry of Love album.
Track 7. 1983.. A merman I should turn to be. Jimi is writing this song for the Electric Ladyland album. An interesting version as it has various sounds and noises throughout and due to the pan position changing, he has obviously approached the song at another time. One obvious noise is a telephone/doorbell ringing causing Jimi to play some wonderful improvisation and subsequently ignoring the disturbance. This is a beautifully played song with Jimi obviously working very hard on his lyrics.
Track 8, 9, 10, 11. Long hot summer night. There are three versions of the song with new verses added each time. This is a very different version to the Electric Ladyland version, being slower with a funky swing. It also sound like he has stopped at the end of each song as there are paper noises and some light laughter. This song is announced by Jimi saying “never song this song before”, was he talking to himself or did he have company? There are also various new lyrics added throughout. Electric guitar not plugged in and Jimi singing quietly, this is typical throughout the remainder of the tape, could have been due to the time of day and neighbourly disturbances. Sound quality still remains superb in this format
Track. 12. A short fast untitled song with one and a half verses preceded by opening riffs. Would of suited Electric Ladyland album if followed up.
Track 13’14. My Friend, originally intended for the Electric Ladyland album as this recording proves. There are two complete extended versions with the second played a key higher. The complete song lengths covers a total 8.18 seconds.

Voodoo Kush
08-23-09, 08:09 PM
I've heard snippets of hear my train with harmonica and "one stormy night" off the "private collection Reels" before, but 37 different tapes? thats a copious amount that we don't have half of in circulation! we're all on the same team aren't we? Jimi's musical contributions on or off stage should be shared on sites like this for those who really care to hear, and not buried in a dusty chicago basement until the owner dies and they get discarded! damn hermits... hehe. Well i suppose i need a million $$ to go find the black gold tapes first. good news though, thanks for sharing.

TwoAlpha
08-23-09, 10:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwtpkMQNFNI&feature=related

Thank you Jimi Uchihaeyez!

Sounds great!

Roland Stone
08-23-09, 11:45 PM
Trying to discern the Snowballs lyric at the end of the YouTube video. This is the best I could do. Feel free to make any corrections if you hear something different.

When the sun throws snowballs at my windows
Birds and airplanes flying through the halls
Shoot for the holes like my wallpaper people
Besides all that ain't too much of it at all
All the freewheelers try to steal money from my flowers
I don't mind as long as they - - (that's all)

Crdx
08-25-09, 07:54 AM
Wow. How amazing. I hope we will find this in circulation soon!

The Earth Blues
08-25-09, 11:12 AM
Trying to discern the Snowballs lyric at the end of the YouTube video. This is the best I could do. Feel free to make any corrections if you hear something different.

Sounds perfect to me.

And thanks Uchi... :)

stplsd
08-25-09, 07:03 PM

OUR LOVELY HOME<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
They’re out in the sun throwing snowballs at my windows
Shoe full of holes laughin’ at wallpaper people
Besides all that ain’t too much happenin’ at all
<o:p> </o:p>
Ah’-all the free bees tryin’ to steal honey from my flowers
I don’t mind as long as they
That’s ha-ha all
Mind as long as they…