PDA

View Full Version : why not all concerts recorded ?

drivinsouth
08-22-09, 03:21 AM
it's strange ??????? that!!!!! not more recorded soundboards ?
during jimi's concerts ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

bbagm
08-22-09, 05:02 AM
It's not really that strange. Back in the 1960s they wouldn't have forseen the market that now exists for such recordings, so why go to the extra trouble and expense of taping shows?

Even today concerts aren't usually professionally recorded unless needed for TV/Radio broadcast or live albums.

drivinsouth
08-22-09, 05:10 AM
thanks .i remember bbc did not save beatles.but thanks to the radio/tv stations
we can see and hear a lot /hendrix/stones /ao,,,

stplsd
08-22-09, 05:28 AM
Is there anyone with as much surviving 'live' soundboard from this period?

johanincr
08-22-09, 05:40 AM
the grateful dead probably?
apart from that not many

sixwasnine
08-22-09, 06:37 AM
Zappa !

:homer1:

RobbieRadio
08-22-09, 10:29 AM
It costs money do to make live soundboard recordings. All the people involved have to be paid for their services plus the cost of transporting the equipment to the show (no on location equipment in the 60's). The Rollings Stones solved this problem in the 70's with a mobile on site soundboard recording facility in a truck. This is still done today.

Then there are storage fees for storing the tapes, and the cost of the tape itself. Because of this, Record Companies during the 60's only made soundboard recordings when there was a plan to release a live album. And "live" albums have historically not sold as well as studio albums. So there was no financial incentive for the Record Companies to go to the expense of recording them or to release them. Up until Frampton Comes Alive in 1976, (BOG's an exception) most live albums were poor sellers and after "Frampton" most still are.

In Jimi's case, the BOG Fillmore shows were all recorded because a live album release was planned. Some of the 1969 & 1970 shows were recorded because he hadn't released any studio material since 1968 and a "live" album was planned as a way to "fill the void" until a studio album was ready, and as a way to settle the Ed Chalpin lawsuit. In effect killing 2 birds with one stone. The studio album didn't happen, so Smash Hits was released in July 1969 to get some Hendrix "product" in the marketplace, followed by Band Of Gypsys in March 1970.

You have to keep in mind that during in the 60's an artist was expected to release an album every 6 MONTHS! AYE was released in the USA in August 1967 and Axis in January 1968, Ladyland in October 1968. The Beatles released 3 albums in one year, and CCR did too. No studio product for 23 months, like in Jimi's case, was an exception, not the rule like it is today.

Also, almost all of the venues in the 60's that Jimi played did not have soundboard recording equipment on site. We forget this since it is "common" today. Bill Graham was one of the very few promoters/venues that had his own professional inhouse audio and video recording equipment in the 60's. Things were very primitive in the 60's. The music business was not the mega worldwide billion dollar comglomerate it is today. There wasn't a ton of money floating around to finance projects.

drivinsouth
08-22-09, 11:32 AM
thanks ! good info..thats' why the cassette tape recorder..(1966-1967)save the concerts.
or uher (reporter tape recorder)stones recorded with that i guess ??) already in 1964.(riot concert)
i know .the la forum 69.was taped & planned to be released in 1969...
strange is that .not much live recordings was released in 70's ..we had to wait untill 1980 with "concerts" .

but anyway !!!!!!!!thanks too all the people who recorded hendrix concerts...
and now we had wonderful merge stereo concerts......

Crdx
08-22-09, 04:50 PM
I find it interesting to see the amount of Grateful Dead soundboard recordings from those days. Always makes me wish other bands were recorded that much as well..

purple jim
08-22-09, 05:24 PM
…and now we had wonderful merge stereo concerts......

Absolutely. The hard work that goes into them is highly commendable. I big thank you to the merge makers !!!

The Earth Blues
08-22-09, 06:53 PM
What is amazing to me is the lack of live Pink Floyd from the 1970's.

ilovejimi
08-22-09, 07:03 PM
What is amazing to me is the lack of live Pink Floyd from the 1970's.
yes in deed- Im a big Floyd fan- its incredible how very few there are- even into modern times with The Wall live concerts:wave:

stplsd
08-22-09, 07:41 PM
. Things were very primitive in the 60's. The music business was not the mega worldwide billion dollar comglomerate it is today. There wasn't a ton of money floating around to finance projects.

Well observed, read and learn conspiracy buffs.

DoctorGero
08-29-09, 02:41 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grateful_Dead
Like several other bands during this time, the Grateful Dead allowed their fans to record their shows. For many years the tapers (http://www.crosstowntorrents.org/wiki/Taper_(concert)) set up their microphones wherever they could. The eventual forest of microphones became a problem for the official sound crew. Eventually this was solved by having a dedicated taping section located behind the soundboard, which required a special "tapers" ticket. The band allowed sharing of tapes of their shows, as long as no profits were made on the sale of their show tapes. Sometimes the sound crew would allow the tapers to connect directly to the soundboard, which created exceptional concert recordings.

MourningStar
08-29-09, 03:44 PM
No DeadHead would be caught 'dead' paying for a 'live' G-D show!

;)

purple jim
08-29-09, 03:51 PM
No DeadHead would be caught 'dead' paying for a 'live' G-D show!;)

Not even any of the 36 "Dick's Picks" ?

zososhane69
08-29-09, 04:25 PM
I have become spoiled by bands like Pearl Jam and the Black Crowes who offer various forms of download (flac, mp3 dtd) of their concerts. Shit back in 07 after the Crowes show you got in line and picked up the friggin disc of the show then!!

MourningStar
08-29-09, 09:41 PM
^
Pearl who? Black what?

:confused:

univibs
08-30-09, 08:08 PM
^
Pearl who? Black what?

:confused:

The Black Crowes !

#2 Rock & Roll band of all time... #1 Rock & Roll band was the Experience...

Jimi_Uchihaeyez
08-30-09, 08:13 PM
The Black Crowes !

#2 Rock & Roll band of all time... #1 Rock & Roll band was the Experience...Cream? :confused:

purple jim
08-31-09, 01:51 AM
The Black Crowes !
#2 Rock & Roll band of all time... #1 Rock & Roll band was the Experience...

The Rolling Stones ???:confused:

univibs
08-31-09, 05:58 PM
Cream? :confused:

The Rolling Stones ???:confused:

from wikipedia: "They were hailed by Melody Maker (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melody_Maker) as "The Most Rock 'n' Roll Rock 'n' Roll Band in the World".<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-1>[ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Crowes#cite_note-1) </SUP>
<SUP>nuff said.</SUP>

purple jim
09-01-09, 01:58 AM
from wikipedia: "They were hailed by Melody Maker (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melody_Maker) as "The Most Rock 'n' Roll Rock 'n' Roll Band in the World".<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-1">[ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Crowes#cite_note-1) </sup>
<sup>nuff said.</sup>

One journalist said it. That's all.

Jimi_Uchihaeyez
09-01-09, 02:04 AM
One journalist said it. That's all.Ditto. And I'm not trying to put them down but, There's so many bands that deserve a #2 spot, #1's the Hendrix/Cox/Mitchell EXP. for me. :), I mean, The Stones, Cream, The Who, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, and etc. etc. It's just hard for me to but them all above those groups.

MourningStar
09-01-09, 02:14 AM
... and etc. etc. ...etc = Santana, CSNY, Janis/BB&HC, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Zep, ELP, Yes, Moody Blues, and Jimi's hometown ultimate party melt-down rockers The Kingsmen!

Wait!, ok - and more etc. ...

;)

univibs
09-01-09, 05:17 AM
Ditto. And I'm not trying to put them down but, There's so many bands that deserve a #2 spot, #1's the Hendrix/Cox/Mitchell EXP. for me. :), I mean, The Stones, Cream, The Who, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, and etc. etc. It's just hard for me to but them all above those groups.

o.k sounds fair :) #2 for me only ...

purple jim
09-01-09, 05:37 AM
o.k sounds fair :) #2 for me only ...

Just to say that I wasn't putting down The Black Crowes, on the contrary, they have done some excellent work. I like the "By Your Side" album and the Pagey thing.

univibs
09-01-09, 05:08 PM
Just to say that I wasn't putting down The Black Crowes, on the contrary, they have done some excellent work. I like the "By Your Side" album and the Pagey thing.

check out their second and third album as well.
and amazingly, they released a new album yesterday..