PDA

View Full Version : Would You Want A Hendrix Biopic?

bogey_j
08-23-09, 07:38 AM
there has already been a [tv] movie in 2000 with wood harris as jimi, but it was low budget and they couldnt use any of hendrix' original music. I commend the director for having the balls to go through with it despite that fact, and it wasnt as bad as I expected. There were grumbles of a hendrix biopic from 2004-2006 with andre 3000 as jimi but nothing ever came of it. What's up with experience hendrix, why dont they want to have a biopic made?

RobbieRadio
08-23-09, 08:10 AM
No. Because it wouldn't be any good. The facts would all be disregarded and twisted to make an "entertaining" Hollywood story. It's the old "based on a true story" line. Yeah 1 percent of it is true, the other 99 percent is Hollywood fabrication. They would have to "puff it up" with drama, mystery, love, irony, heartbreak etc. so it would have a "broad" appeal which is necessary to make a profitable film. Otherwise the only people that will be interested in it are the music fans, which equals a "small audience" and little profit.

Also his lifestye of drug use, sex romps, womanizing, and constant legal problems, etc. is not exactly Family fare.

You gotta remember. The reason ANY MOVIE is made is to make MONEY! To make money it has to have a broad enough appeal so that LOTS of people will be interested in seeing it. Not everybody is a Jimi Hendrix fan. So the only way to make it palatable to the non-fan and general public is to "puff it up." Which will turn off and gag the real Hendrix fan and Rock music fan.

Look at all the other Rock biopics, Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis, Tina Turner, Selena, etc. There was more emphasis on the "drama" in their lives than on their artistry or music. A biopic on Jimi would just be another Hollywood Rock movie joke!

bbagm
08-23-09, 09:29 AM
there has already been a [tv] movie in 2000 with wood harris as jimi, but it was low budget and they couldnt use any of hendrix' original music. I commend the director for having the balls to go through with it despite that fact, and it wasnt as bad as I expected. There were grumbles of a hendrix biopic from 2004-2006 with andre 3000 as jimi but nothing ever came of it. What's up with experience hendrix, why dont they want to have a biopic made?

That biopic was bad. Not because it was low budget, but because so many scenes were pointlessly fictionalised versions of actual events or real people. Jimi's girlfriend in England, a blonde haired American? Come on.

I'd like to see a biopic only if it were done correctly and stayed true to the actual story. I've never understood why Hollywood always feels the need to "fluff up" life stories. The celebrities who usually warrant having films made about them tended to have unusual lives anyway.

In my view, if you take an unusual individual with an unusual life and have to add fiction to make their story even more unusual, it's a sign that you're a bad writer.

A couple of years back Quentin Tarintino was speaking of making a Hendrix movie. I dread to think what he would have come up with.

scoutship
08-23-09, 11:12 AM
A couple of years back Quentin Tarintino was speaking of making a Hendrix movie

False. That was just a rumor someone else had started.

bbagm
08-23-09, 12:54 PM
False. That was just a rumor someone else had started.

That's good to hear!

MourningStar
08-23-09, 03:26 PM
... They would have to "puff it up" with drama, mystery, love, irony, heartbreak etc. so it would have a "broad" appeal which is necessary to make a profitable film. ...Are you serious???? .... it seems to me all of that (and much more) WAS a part of Jimi's life. I therefore feel that a movie written just right and 100% damatization/fictionalization-free would be a hit with a properly designed strategic marketing campaign. As to not being 'Family Fare', that's silly. The Hendrix phenomenon, pre & post-mortem, was never about 'family values'. In fact, back in the day, if you were a tenny-bopper - unless you had 'older'-'experienced' siblings or happened to be one of the few that was allowed to 'hang' with the 'older'-'experienced' crowd, you were most likely to have never heard of something called The Jimi Hendrix Experience and if you did you would have most likely just groaned and returned to your 'Monkees'-drenched bubble-gum world.

Regarding the Harris movie, yeah, it was not the best, it is all there is out there right now, and definitely better than alot of stuff coming out of the movie/tv industry at present.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/XiKano/AVATAR/peace5.gif

cleanuponaisle76
08-23-09, 03:59 PM
Ceasar Glebeek offered to make a biopic or documentary about Jimi's life, but EH didn't see things the same way....

needless to say he would have done Jimi real justice...

cleanuponaisle76
08-23-09, 04:11 PM
sorry about the double.

I don't want Hollywood touching Jimi Hendrix...he's misunderstood as hell as it is.

ilovejimi
08-23-09, 04:51 PM
(this from the EH website) In light of the recent press reports surrounding a Jimi Hendrix Biopic, Janie Hendrix, President & CEO of Experience Hendrix, L.L.C. explains, "Just like the many discussions we have had over the years with other producers who have expressed an interest in developing a feature biography that will bring the true story of the amazing life of my brother, Jimi Hendrix, to the silver screen, we have had similar discussions with Legendary Pictures. However, our talks with Legendary and others are in the preliminary stages so there is nothing substantive to report at this time."

ilovejimi
08-23-09, 04:55 PM
I just hope if a BioPic is done- its done first rate and not like that goofy biopic years ago- didnt even feature his music. For me I also like The Doors and felt the Oliver Stone movie was pretty darn good-- Perhaps doing a movie in that vein would be cool. But if there going to throw out chessy junk-- it wont interest me.

ilovejimi
08-23-09, 04:56 PM
sorry about the double.

I don't want Hollywood touching Jimi Hendrix...he's misunderstood as hell as it is.

I agree about being 'misunderstood'- especially when it comes to his death :wave:

The Earth Blues
08-23-09, 07:57 PM
I would absolutely love to see one. I would just hope it is accurate, if not, even if the facts aren't straight...it will promote the Hendrix name, this continuing his legacy. And that's the bottom line, really.

deek57
08-24-09, 04:24 AM
Can someone tell me what "Meh" means.......Is it some kind of slang ?... it's something i'm not familiar with. Maybe i'm just getting old and it's some kind of teen thing.

bogey_j
08-24-09, 06:26 AM
Can someone tell me what "Meh" means.......Is it some kind of slang ?... it's something i'm not familiar with. Maybe i'm just getting old and it's some kind of teen thing.

Indifference; the verbal equivalent of a shrug of the shoulders

deek57
08-24-09, 02:21 PM
Indifference; the verbal equivalent of a shrug of the shoulders

Thank you.

DevilsAvocado
08-24-09, 05:42 PM
I'd like to see one, if it was done right. By that i mean with the facts right, and not some sleazy sensationalistic "rock n roll" movie, OR a heavily glossed-over portrait, with Jimi as a total saint (which he wasn't!) . While i enjoyed the Oliver Stone "The Doors" movie and found it very entertaining (first time i watched it was on my 17th birthday, last row in the cinema, with a bottle of scotch being passed around between us), parts of it were, i believe, heavily fictionalised, with several persons written into one, etc. While Val Kilmer gave a magnetic performance, i believe the movie gave a pretty one-dimensional image of Jim Morrison as just your typical walking disaster, where i'm sure "the truth" about Morrison has many more facets.

The "Hendrix" biopic (the one from 2000) should only be taken for what it is, shallow TV fare for the everyday TV viewer, with only little or no interest in Jimi except the headlines. In this light, i actually thought it was okay. I consider it a paraphrase of Jimi's story (and historical events of the time), not an attempt at making the definitive Hendrix portrait.

Jimi was a complex person, with a complex life. It would be a real tightrope act, to get the whole image across, withˇut exaggerating one side or another. So yes, if done right...

Just my 2 cents...

Pali Gap
08-25-09, 09:19 AM
But this is the problem, some are truely awful like Jerry Lee Lewis, but sometimes they are very good, like the Ray Charles, and Johnny Cash biopics. The Doors one was ok, the best bit was the live music, as the Doors stuff has never been remastered very well or updated.

Also EH would want to change the true facts about his childhood, that he grew up starving and didnt get along with his Dad. They would have it with a saintly Al nuturing the genius in their midst and all that bs they like to promote and Monica Danneman as his fiance etc. They would likely present his mother in not a good light at all.

So I dont think it will happen as fans would like, not until the influence of Janey is gone. But if it was done well it would be great.

The Harris biopic sounds gringeworthy!

RobWats67
08-26-09, 06:27 PM
You're on target, Pali Gap.

E-Dubb
09-04-09, 12:57 AM
from my understanding the biopic that was suppose to star andre 3000 had a completed screen play written by the hughes brothers(menace 2 society,dead presidents,american pimp)...but after reading the script janie refused the rights to use jimis music unless they removed all drug and sex references from their intended film...sounds like janie is so intent on cleaning up her "brothers" image that they only way a biopic will be done is if it is a mickey mouse version of jimi's life...so,if that is the case i would rather do with out a watered down version of the life of jimi hendrix...

RobWats67
09-05-09, 11:13 AM
from my understanding the biopic that was suppose to star andre 3000 had a completed screen play written by the hughes brothers(menace 2 society,dead presidents,american pimp)...but after reading the script janie refused the rights to use jimis music unless they removed all drug and sex references from their intended film...sounds like janie is so intent on cleaning up her "brothers" image that they only way a biopic will be done is if it is a mickey mouse version of jimi's life...so,if that is the case i would rather do with out a watered down version of the life of jimi hendrix...

Me, too.