PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Stills/Hendrix album to be released soon?

RasFreeman
08-26-09, 05:11 PM
http://www.examiner.com/x-20368-Little-Rock-Entertainment-Examiner~y2009m8d26-New-Release-old-music-from-Stills-and-Hendrixtogether

RobWats67
08-26-09, 06:24 PM
Brilliant.

dino77
08-27-09, 02:29 PM
I'm almost as excited about the Manassas album :). They were a great band.

Roland Stone
08-27-09, 10:21 PM
"Trying to work out a deal now with John McDermott"? What's the hold up Janie? Loosen those purse strings!

RasFreeman
10-29-09, 03:32 PM
More info on the Stephen Stills release.
http://www.reuters.com/article/peopleNews/idUSTRE59N0E820091024
He mentions he overdubbed bass guitar on some of the tracks Jimi recorded
with Johnny Winter.

Peace & Love,
Ras Freeman

Roland Stone
11-04-09, 03:23 PM
So if I'm reading that correctly, now it sounds like the only tracks are "Old Times Good Times" and "White Nigger"? And if I'm reading it correctly he is in the process of adding overdubbed bass to some Hendrix/Winter recordings? Shades of Alan Douglas! (Not that I wouldn't want to hear it!)

manfree
11-04-09, 03:58 PM
Agreed, I look forward to hearing it. but I didn`t know there was a lot of Jimi/Johnny tunes, I`ve only heard the one thats common to many discs.

RasFreeman
11-04-09, 04:28 PM
Stephen Stills has been sitting on this stuff for
40 years now and has repeated in several interviews
he has an album's worth of jams he and Jimi recorded.
Now if these jams are loose and unfocused (lots of starts
and stops, not really going anywhere), maybe EH will only let
him release what they consider "songs". So now he has to
change his story to "there's not as much as people think".
The stuff from the sessions i've heard has been pretty shoddy
quality (soundwise not playing). So any "new" Jimi in excellent
quality would be welcomed by me, just hope i don't have to wait
another 40 years to hear it.

Peace & Love,
Ras Freeman

RobbieRadio
11-04-09, 05:43 PM
When ever I hear "Hendrix" mentioned with the word "release" I get excited but then realize I will once again be disappointed as I have been so many times in the past.

ilovejimi
11-04-09, 05:57 PM
I get the feeling too that not much is going to come of this project. I guess the Stills Hendrix basement tapes really dont include Jimi-

dino77
11-05-09, 12:53 AM
The stuff from the sessions i've heard has been pretty shoddy
quality (soundwise not playing). So any "new" Jimi in excellent
quality would be welcomed by me, just hope i don't have to wait
another 40 years to hear it.

Peace & Love,
Ras Freeman

What have you heard from the sessions? We only have Old Times and White N**ger circulated. Oh yeah, and the Winter/Stills/Hendrix jams which are nothing special musically. The so called "basement tapes" are obvious fakes.

buffalorattle
11-05-09, 03:12 AM
What about the version of 'Woodstock' featuring Jimi on Bass ? I have this somewhere on audio tape,Sure it made it to youtube,Not great quality recording-wise,But the Bass line is funky & driving,Was hoping to hear an official release,Dont think that will happen now

Roland Stone
11-10-09, 11:52 PM
What about the version of 'Woodstock' featuring Jimi on Bass ? I have this somewhere on audio tape,Sure it made it to youtube,Not great quality recording-wise,But the Bass line is funky & driving,Was hoping to hear an official release,Dont think that will happen now

Isn't Stills also on "Send My Love To Linda" and "Live & Let Live"? And in fact doesn't Jimi play that same bassline hook in "Woodstock", "Live & Let Live" (including the Tim Leary version) and "Linda", making me wonder if all those songs are related somehow. I wonder which came first?

Ayler
11-11-09, 03:51 AM
"Live & Let Live" was produced by... our dear friend Alan Douglas who took the basic track of "Woodstock" (recorded on 1969.09.30 with Jimi on bass) to make one side of the Timothy Leary "Live And Let Live" LP (released april 70):
http://hendrix.aceboard.fr/264448-2565-2610-0-Timothy-Leary-Live-Live-Participation.htm

Jimi took the same pattern to record his own song with the Band Of Gypsys on 1970.01.16 : "Send My Love To Linda". Only the band version of the song has the riff.

Roland Stone
11-13-09, 10:35 PM
"Live & Let Live" was produced by... our dear friend Alan Douglas who took the basic track of "Woodstock" (recorded on 1969.09.30 with Jimi on bass) to make one side of the Timothy Leary "Live And Let Live" LP (released april 70):
http://hendrix.aceboard.fr/264448-2565-2610-0-Timothy-Leary-Live-Live-Participation.htm

Jimi took the same pattern to record his own song with the Band Of Gypsys on 1970.01.16 : "Send My Love To Linda". Only the band version of the song has the riff.

Actually the LP is called "You Can Be Anyone This Time Around". The track is "Live & Let Live". That title is the refrain of Leary's rap.

ilovejimi
07-06-12, 10:40 AM
UPDATE http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/interview-stephen-stills-talks-guitars-csn-classic-songs-jimi-hendrix-550798

Experiencereunited
07-06-12, 12:40 PM
Nice article. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like any of the stuff with Jimi will be released anytime soon. Best we can probably hope for is a song or 2 and maybe one of the jams released from the sounds of his interview.

ranasakawa
07-06-12, 04:16 PM
What hapened to the album worth of material?

dino77
07-06-12, 04:40 PM
What hapened to the album worth of material?

It never was, it was only a rumour.

purple jim
07-07-12, 01:59 AM
A year or more ago, this appeared in Billboard:
"He's also been working with the Jimi Hendrix family's Experience Hendrix company on a tape recordings
the two guitarists made together, which Stills claims "doesn't have as much as people think is on there."
There are two mostly finished tracks, though, "Old Times Good Times" and another with only a working title,
which Stills says might be part of a Hendrix sessions disc for which he's also overdubbed some new bass parts on
recordings Hendrix made with Johnny Winter."

RasFreeman
09-07-12, 01:59 PM
3 Years Later! Still negotiating........Still Dreaming.......

http://www.registerguard.com/web/entertainment/28672736-41/stills-crosby-nash-hendrix-rubin.html.csp

Hendrix collaboration still in vault
One rather famous session that will not be included in the box set is a collaboration between Stills and Jimi Hendrix.
Instead, Stills said negotiations are under way to release the tracks the two guitarists recorded through the Hendrix
family and its Experience Hendrix umbrella.

In the time leading up to Hendrix’s death in 1970, the two guitarists were planning to make an album together. Hendrix,
in fact, played guitar on “Old Times Good Times,” a song on Stills’ 1970 self-titled debut album.

Stills also came close to joining Hendrix’s band as bassist for one of Hendrix’s tours. Stills picks up the story from there.

“I was a pretty cracker-jack bass player,” Stills said. “So somebody in David Geffen’s office, probably David, intercepted
the message and didn’t pass it on. I found out about it, I was in Hawaii. ...

“By the time I did get the message, it was pretty cryptic. It was like ‘Jimi Hendrix called and they want you to come and
play bass, and I think you should pass. It’s too late anyway. They found somebody else to play it.’

“I would have done it in a heartbeat,” Stills said. “But you can imagine the terror around the CSN&Y management. ‘My God,
we’re going to lose him to Jimi Hendrix.’ ”

Roland Stone
03-21-13, 09:01 PM
The latest from Rolling Stone:

"After these sessions with Hendrix were rediscovered, did you wonder if there was anything else that you'd forgotten about?
No. What was forgotten was that there was a lot of loitering. Of course we just said "Just record everything we do," and so there are boxes and boxes of two-inch tape of barely decipherable conversation, laughing, and someone would occasionally pick up an instrument and clunkety-clunk. Boxes of loitering! There is one song that Jimi did that I gave to [Hendrix's estate] because it's just him. ["Somewhere"?] And then I had another one which I turned into an instrumental eventually, because I wasn't happy with the title ["White Nigger"?] and the words never came, and it was kind of in the wrong key. The way the session had started, he came in to do overdubs on it. Then there was another one, when he came to New York, and I was showing him my arrangement of "Woodstock," before I showed it to the boys [leaked years ago]. And then I played on something of his ["Send My Love to Linda"?] – but the discovery was that the "hidden Jimi Hendrix tapes" didn't really have much on them. Just a lot banging and talking and "maybe let's do this," and then "Jim, let's go to Tramps," or something. It wasn't the goldmine we thought it was going to be. Everyone made very much of a myth out of it. None of it really backed up. I have this one great song. ["Old Times Good Times'] There might be some other great stuff – who knew? It was 30 years ago, and we were hammered."

So, in other words, there's nothing we haven't heard except maybe "White Nigger" (which I think has been leaked).

Radiobirdman1973
03-21-13, 09:59 PM
Here's a couple snippets from: http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/interview-stephen-stills-talks-guitars-csn-classic-songs-jimi-hendrix-550798 (which you've probably all read by now) that I came across which also discuss the tapes

Jimi Hendrix –
"Not much taller than me. A little wisp of a guy. Very soft spoken. I wouldn't be able to hear him today – my ears are so bad, even with these. [Points to a hearing aid in his right ear.] But he was funny, and he taught me a great deal about playing lead.
"I remember he was showing me something and I said, 'Jimi, Jimi... put your hand up.' So he held his hand up, and I put mine next to his, and I said, 'That's Wilt Chamberlin. This is me. Your thumb is longer than mine. I can't do what you're doing.' So he went, 'Oh yeah…' And he figured out a way to show me the same thing.
"Jimi was astonishing. Very dear, a dear soul. We'd decompress and talked for hours and hours."

You guys did a lot of jamming together.
"Yeah, but I went through it, and a lot of it is waiting for somebody to start something. It isn't really usable. It deteriorates into giggles and then the tape stops. I've been through it.
"There's a couple of things in there. Now that the family has worked their business out, I've done some of the things I did at Electric Lady with him. I've finished a couple of those. There's one song that's sitting there in want of a lyric - there's babbling but no good lyric."

Who was playing with you two at the time?
"Buddy Miles was playing with us one time, and then Mitch was playing one time. There was a nonsensical bass part that I replaced, and I'm also playing rhythm guitar. I don't know, we could just take guitar and drum and start screaming."

You mentioned that Jimi was showing you some things on the guitar. What specifically did you glean from him?
"You hear my playing, you should be able to figure that out. I channel him. I do that rarely, though – I just don't have the chops. I'm getting there, although it's a little late. I've already got carpal tunnel, so some of those things are a little hard to do." [Laughs]

Do you feel as though you're still getting better? What are you trying to improve on?
"Improve on? My stroke, my touch… chops. Chops! There's reach – that's chops. The ability to do… chops! How fast you can do it, and what your armature is like, what your stroke is like. Whether you can do it and dig in. What you can think of and what your physical ability is."

And Jimi Hendrix played on Old Times, Good Times.
"Yeah. That was pretty quick. That was the song I needed to finish the album. We started doing something else, so we made some demos and then went out… never to return, unfortunately."

Where were you when you heard that he had died?
"I was in LA, and I was so fucking mad I almost broke the television. I threw something at the screen. I was furious. 'Cause assholes would keep giving him things, and he'd forget what he had taken."

dino77
03-22-13, 01:48 AM
The latest from Rolling Stone:

"After these sessions with Hendrix were rediscovered, did you wonder if there was anything else that you'd forgotten about?
No. What was forgotten was that there was a lot of loitering. Of course we just said "Just record everything we do," and so there are boxes and boxes of two-inch tape of barely decipherable conversation, laughing, and someone would occasionally pick up an instrument and clunkety-clunk. Boxes of loitering! There is one song that Jimi did that I gave to [Hendrix's estate] because it's just him. ["Somewhere"?] And then I had another one which I turned into an instrumental eventually, because I wasn't happy with the title ["White Nigger"?] and the words never came, and it was kind of in the wrong key. The way the session had started, he came in to do overdubs on it. Then there was another one, when he came to New York, and I was showing him my arrangement of "Woodstock," before I showed it to the boys [leaked years ago]. And then I played on something of his ["Send My Love to Linda"?] – but the discovery was that the "hidden Jimi Hendrix tapes" didn't really have much on them. Just a lot banging and talking and "maybe let's do this," and then "Jim, let's go to Tramps," or something. It wasn't the goldmine we thought it was going to be. Everyone made very much of a myth out of it. None of it really backed up. I have this one great song. ["Old Times Good Times'] There might be some other great stuff – who knew? It was 30 years ago, and we were hammered."

So, in other words, there's nothing we haven't heard except maybe "White Nigger" (which I think has been leaked).

Probably there's snippets we haven't heard but Stills is basically saying it's not good enough for commercial release. So that might mean he woulnd't want a Dagger release of this stuff either.

Fenders Fingers
03-22-13, 04:01 AM
I'd buy a Dagger of these guys having a stoned laughing session :-)

sunrise
03-22-13, 05:53 AM
I'd buy a Dagger of these guys having a stoned laughing session :-)

Well, send all the tapes to me, and I´ll happily edit them...

RobbieRadio
10-14-13, 10:20 PM
DALLAS TAYLOR - CSNY

You met Jimi Hendrix when you were with Clear Light and jammed with him. Since most of the time the tapes were rolling, I wonder if there are still tapes around.

DT: I don’t know, but I wouldn’t be surprised. Jimi and I were fighting over the same girl (Denise Betincourt) [perhaps Betancourt], so we didn’t talk much. He was a very quiet and shy person off stage.

As far as Hendrix goes, I met Hendrix in New York first when I was with Clear Light. I remember a couple of us ended up sitting in and playing with him at a place called Steve Paul's Scene, which was really kind of a basement, shady little nightclub that a lot of great bands were playing in, coming through. A small place. Jimi and I of course ended up fighting over the same girlfriend and that was the end of that until later on he ended up... I remember one night Stephen and I, he showed up at Stephen's house and I was there. So, we played. Every time he played, the tape recorder went and I guess Stephen still has a lot of that stuff.

RobbieRadio
10-14-13, 10:31 PM
Graham Nash 2012

You guys were all friendly with Jimi Hendrix. I know Stephen played guitar with him – did you ever?

"Oh, no, no. I would never play guitar with Jimi [laughs]. But I hung out with him. I used to share an apartment in London with Mitch Mitchell, and I got to hang with Jimi a lot. By the way, nobody could ever beat Jimi Hendrix at Risk. No one. Nobody ever. He would drop acid and play Risk, and he was still unbeatable.

"He was very different from his image. He was a very serious cat – very humble, but very serious. He realized he was trapped. He was trapped into playing the guitar behind his head, playing with his teeth, sticking his tongue out, Foxey Lady and all that. He had created this sexual image that… Who the hell could live up to that constantly?

"I first met Jimi in '65. He was in Little Richard's band at the time. This was at the Paramount Theatre in New York City, the Soupy Sales Easter Show. I'll give you a story from my book: When we came to America for the very first time, we went to the Paramount Theatre where the gig was, and we thought we were going to do our set – 45 minutes of dynamite. 'Which two songs are you were doing?' we were asked. We were like, 'What? Two songs?' But there were 12 other acts on the bill, five shows a day – two songs. So that was a shock.

"Little Richard closed the show, and we would watch him from the side of the stage. One night I heard this argument before they went on: 'Don't you ever fucking do that again! I'm Little Richard, the king of rock 'n' roll, you fucking guy! Stop playing your fucking guitar behind your fucking head!' And he was yelling at Jimi. It was this argument as they got in the elevator to go up. The volume decreased as they went, but you could still hear them arguing. I can hear it now. So that was Jimi. It was obvious he was a talented guy.

Did Graham Nash know Jimi Hendrix?
Nash used to hang with him in England. He said he was with Jimi watching a live show when the act on stage pointed out the fact that Jimi was in the audience and then the spotlight was pointed at [them]...Said he was a quiet, funny nice guy....but that was the first time Nash had realized what a sensation he was with the public.

But recently we learned that Nash and Hendrix were actually much closer than this. Mitch Mitchell, Hendrix's drummer, shared a flat with Nash in London during 1967 and they all spent quite a bit of time together, according to Mitchell's book "The Hendrix Experience". Nash sings on a couple of choruses on Jimi's second album "Axis; Bold as Love" and stomped his feet for extra rhythm on "If 6 was 9". Mitchell in turn played on a couple of Hollies songs during this period. Nash and Hendrix were also in the studio together for the "McGough and McGear" album, produced by Paul McCartney. The standout track "Ex Art Student" features Graham's harmony vocals and Jimi's guitar. Apparently they both played percussion together on a track "Oh to be a Child", which was never released.

According to Mitch Mitchell, Jimi enjoyed Nash's company and the peacefulness of his house: "Graham and Jimi would often play together at the house, and there would be some thought given to them writing together , but I have the feeling that it was officially discouraged". Probably by Hendrix's management, who didn't like Nash's habit of asking awkward questions about what was happening to Jimi's money and publishing contracts.

Source: Mitch Mitchell "The Hendrix Experience", 1990, p.28.

Ezy Rider
10-15-13, 03:01 AM
DALLAS TAYLOR - CSNY

You met Jimi Hendrix when you were with Clear Light and jammed with him. Since most of the time the tapes were rolling, I wonder if there are still tapes around.

DT: I don’t know, but I wouldn’t be surprised. Jimi and I were fighting over the same girl (Denise Betincourt) [perhaps Betancourt], so we didn’t talk much. He was a very quiet and shy person off stage.

As far as Hendrix goes, I met Hendrix in New York first when I was with Clear Light. I remember a couple of us ended up sitting in and playing with him at a place called Steve Paul's Scene, which was really kind of a basement, shady little nightclub that a lot of great bands were playing in, coming through. A small place. Jimi and I of course ended up fighting over the same girlfriend and that was the end of that until later on he ended up... I remember one night Stephen and I, he showed up at Stephen's house and I was there. So, we played. Every time he played, the tape recorder went and I guess Stephen still has a lot of that stuff.

It must be Denise Betancourt.

The Pastor’s Wife was a $100-a-day Heroin Addict
It's true that I, a pastor's wife, was one time a drug addict, a $100-aday
heroin mainliner, and a criminal's girl friend. My boy friend, Fred,
was on the FBI's Ten Most Wanted list. When Fred was arrested and
sentenced to life plus 99 years, I continued to visit him at the penitentiary.
Another of the men I went with was a bass player with Jimi
Hendrix's band, and my picture is on ELECTRIC LADY, one of
Hendrix's LP album covers (Jimi Hendrix was a top-rated hard rock
musician who died of a drug overdose in 1970).

Now I want to tell an incident that happened in Knoxville over 15
years after I left Jimi Hendrix's bass player. One day my phone rang and
a girl's voice said, “Sandi, this is Denise Betancourt.”
“DENISE!” I shouted into the phone. I couldn't believe my ears.
Denise had been Jimi Hendrix's girl friend. At the time Hendrix died,
Denise was heavy into drugs and 13 years later she overdosed.
This is what she told me: After she overdosed, she was taken to a
Christian rehab center run by an outfit called Teen Challenge. There she
was introduced to Jesus, and Jesus also changed her life. Oh, I'm sure the
neighbors must have heard me shout for joy when I heard that over the
long-distance phone call.
But let me tell the rest of what she told me: After she left the rehab
center, she went to Miami and started attending a church. At the church
some of the people told her about the former pastor and his wife, whose
names were Steve and Sandi Fatow. Of course, at the time she did not
know that Sandi Fatow was the same Sandi that she had known 15 years
earlier when she was with Jimi Hendrix. However, the church people
talked so much about Steve and Sandi, that one day she found out who
Sandi was. I can just imagine it now: “What! Sandi Fatow is the same
Sandi that was one time going with Jimi Hendrix's bass player? I can't
believe it. Oh! I've got to call Sandi. Can you tell me where she is now?
I want to call her.”
She got my phone number in Knoxville and called me. The two of
us who once did drugs together, were now together in Jesus. The two of
us who were once destined for an eternity in hell, were now together in
Jesus forever.

http://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDgQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcourtofheaven.com%2Fpdfs%2Fbooks% 2F23-Fatow-Sandy-4pg.pdf&ei=zPJcUvrMB47K0AXGwIGIAg&usg=AFQjCNEPcB8178PUq-oePBaAATB4rD4leQ&bvm=bv.53899372,d.d2k

You can find Denise Betancourt on twitter:

https://twitter.com/denisebetancou_/statuses/334457475757645826

And Denise must have been with Hendrix during the Miami Pop Festival:

Does anyone out there remember the rock festival held at Gulfstream race track? It was the first time I saw Hendrix live, he landed next to the stage in a helicopter, it was really awesome. One of my sisters good friends (Denise Betancourt) was dating hendrix at the time and told us about how he would arrive.

http://limestonelounge.yuku.com/topic/748#.Ulz0dhAizwI

RobbieRadio
10-15-13, 09:05 AM
From CSNY Website

What was Jimi Hendrix' last guitar solo that was recorded?

Originally Jimi Hendrix recorded a guitar solo for Stills' Love the One You're With. The ones who heard it were buzzing about it as something incredible. Apparently it sat for a while and Stills recorded over it with the steel drums. It was Jimi's LAST guitar solo...
He died soon after.