PDA

View Full Version : Hendrix - An Observation & Appreciation

MourningStar
09-05-09, 11:13 PM
More than a musician ... more than a man :

Hendrix - Much has been written and said of this enigmatic icon in regards to all aspects of his musicianship - from playing the instrument/s, composition & arrangement, written lyrics and production, not to mention the Man also sang the damn songs himself (while playing rhythym AND lead guitar licks in the live settings). And it does not end with that. There is also the creativity, virtuosity, and the unrivaled mastery to reign it all in and give everybody one hell of an entertaining show to boot!. For sure, the 'Experience' in the nomenclature - The Jimi Hendrix Experience. Volumes have been written already so I need not go any further.

One aspect rarely touched upon is the Man himself. After Jimi achieved international fame a strange thing happened to him. He transcended humanity itself. However, I feel that only those fans fortunate enough to have been in his 'presence' can testify to this unique attribute, a characteristic common to very few mega-stars. Mine and others' recollections are documented here and elsewhere. Even from the nose-bleed seats a billion light-years from stage at the massive LA Forum, we all 'felt' the presence. Listen to audience recordings of both Forum shows and others. The ensuing pandemonium is there for all to hear. I've witnessed sold-out, SRO concerts that had fans descend on the showgrounds ticketless, if only to line up along and listen thru the outer venue walls, and/or be at the same ground-zero where their hero had come to perform. I recall attending the Swing Auditorium 1970 show and exiting the venue after the concert only to paw my way thru all the tear-gas that the police had set off in order to disperse the ticketless thousands assembled outside and clear the way for those of us exiting the show. I was witness to a quite evident increase in adulation from the previous year. Moments in time I will never forget.

It is hard to put in words. Call it akin to a religious experience of the kind that inspired the lyric "Mine eyes have seen the glory ..." - It delights me to no end that The Man (how I and the crew I hung with referred to him) still has one of the strongest, and fanatically dedicated international league of followers to this day.

In summary, I am quite sure that Jimi did not desire the adoration that befell him and it saddens me to ponder the inner struggles he must have dealt with when realizing himself but mere mortal, yet having to deal with the worship, by any other name.

R.I.P. my man, and ...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/XiKano/AVATAR/peace5.gif

Roland Stone
09-05-09, 11:28 PM
I can tell you that the last time I saw Jimi live, in June 1970 at Ventura, I had the distinct feeling that he had outgrown his "mortal coil". It was both awesome and sad to behold. Coincidentally, it was the night after you saw him at the Swing Auditorium and his first words were, "tonight we're going to make up for San Bernardino." Unfortunately his good intentions were foiled by bad weather.

Jimi_Uchihaeyez
09-06-09, 01:38 AM
Never got to see Led Zeppelin.
Never got to see The Who in their Prime.
Never got to go to Woodstock.
Never got to see Jimi.

Only one of them really trully matters, and that's not being able to see Jimi. In the flesh that is. Everytime I look at a picture, or hear a few sounds of his, I feel like I knew him, Like we sat there on a couch goin' "That sounds cool, do a little more of that." I don't think there's one being on this Earth, or in this Universe, That doesn't like at least one Song, Note, Feedback Filled Jam, or Teeth Playing solo of His and if they don't, They have to look and see what he did in 4 Years. People now, and people who saw him, Look at Him as someone who just could make these sounds from Heaven, and sometimes Hell ;), And blow everyone and anyone away. And that's exactly what he did and does. They'll never be a second "Jimi", Could be another extremely talented guitar player with a ability to do spilits and teeth solo's, but. There's one Jimi. There will always be one Jimi Hendrix. Have fun in the Clouds Jimi. :)

ilovejimi
09-06-09, 10:38 AM
I observe that Jimi wore the same outfit on the albums AYE and Electric Lady (USA version).

The Earth Blues
09-06-09, 11:19 AM
Never got to see Led Zeppelin.
Never got to see The Who in their Prime.
Never got to go to Woodstock.
Never got to see Jimi.

Only one of them really trully matters, and that's not being able to see Jimi. In the flesh that is. Everytime I look at a picture, or hear a few sounds of his, I feel like I knew him, Like we sat there on a couch goin' "That sounds cool, do a little more of that." I don't think there's one being on this Earth, or in this Universe, That doesn't like at least one Song, Note, Feedback Filled Jam, or Teeth Playing solo of His and if they don't, They have to look and see what he did in 4 Years. People now, and people who saw him, Look at Him as someone who just could make these sounds from Heaven, and sometimes Hell ;), And blow everyone and anyone away. And that's exactly what he did and does. They'll never be a second "Jimi", Could be another extremely talented guitar player with a ability to do spilits and teeth solo's, but. There's one Jimi. There will always be one Jimi Hendrix. Have fun in the Clouds Jimi. :)
This.

I was born in 1990...20 years after Jimi died. 20 years!!! And I still feel his presence and I still love 'the man'.

For about a year before discovering Jimi Hendrix, I loved Pink Floyd, I thought they were the best thing ever...then I found Jimi. And it was really a new level of love. There's something about Jimi's music, that I think most of us at this site can say, just touches us. We all like other music, but there is something about Jimi's music on another level.

There is something different about Jimi and I really can't put my finger on it, and I don't think enough people understand it. But as Jimi said, you have to listen with open ears and an open heart. Luckily for me, I have. Because he has changed my life.

Everytime I pick up guitar and no matter what I play, it's for Jimi.

Thanks Jimi

MourningStar
09-07-09, 12:19 AM
^^
It is always awesome for me reading such cool testimonials from people. Especially from those that never had the chance of seeing Jimi live. Their experience's are much more varied, unique, individualized, - compared to those of us who saw him ('were there'), because we were sharing the same experiences thus we would most likely all pretty much relate very similar thoughts. Maybe this topic can evolve into a 'what Jimi means to me' kind of thing. Would love for more of you to share your 'observations & appreciation'.

.... Because he has changed my life.Yikes! Those six words. Now THAT is a whole topic in itself!

johanincr
09-07-09, 09:56 AM
I first 'heard' Jimi around 1990, Cornerstones (the AD compilation on musicassette)!
Couldnt and cant put my finger on exactly 'what' it is either, hard to put in words.

Some general observations: Lifelong Hendrix fans tend to 'get into' Hendrix at roughly 13-16 y.o. This seems true for those who 'where there' and those 'born too late' just the same. Once bitten by the Jimi-bug, there's no real cure.

What i appreciate perhaps most in Jimi's music is the fact that for some reason whichever mood i find myself in, there's a matching Jimi-recording. If i told you 'today is a MG@IOW-day' or 'today is Love or Confusion' you'd know what i mean, i think :-)

With Jimi, the music flows, like water, fluid. It can be very ragged, but fluid it remains, at least to my ears. No other musicians that i've heard have quite the same thing.

Its too hard for me to put into words, all this, but indeed very interesting to hear what everyone has to say - so keep going!

btw nice observation 'ilovejimi' :-)

purple jim
09-07-09, 01:32 PM
This subject is close pretty close to the one stplsd created about "what made Jimi so unique". This one is well under way, so here I go.
As has been said, it is difficult to put into words but for me Jimi's music just hits that spot inside you. He created such exiting pop music, deeply felt blues, abstract free-form expressions/impressions, beautiful ballads, gut wrenching rock, orchestral imagery. His guitar is hypnotic in it's colour and texture. It was beyond guitar, his instrument was the whole PA system, the recording studio, life itself. He had a fabulous singing voice and cool rap. He WROTE gorgeous songs (something that other "guitar greats" couldn't match), from top ten hits to the most profound statements. Yes, who else could write a top ten hit and acheive a depth of expression on an instrument and receive comparisons with Charlie Parker or John Coltrane ? He had a fabulous look and untouchable stage act. My God, what else ? He revolutionised the music of his epoch, influencing pop, rock, blues and jazz artists. The Beatles, Clapton, Beck, hell, everyone who crossed his path froze in awe. We are all in awe.

MourningStar
09-08-09, 01:22 AM
... He had a fabulous look and untouchable stage act. ...This calls up some memories. I'm called a dinosaur by many since I go way back to the beginning and I (as most others at the time, I suppose) was 'drawn in' strictly by the music (AYE). Even Sgt. Pepper (I had been a Beatles fan ever since they hit the airwaves out here) did not even come close to messing up my brain like Jimi's music did. The only visual association I had to the music's source were the album photographs. The country here, as was myself, was going thru changes and I remember thinking how cool and a most relevant 'signs of the times' an integrated rock band playing this music was (actually 'music' is not a word I wanted to associate with these sounds). Eventually the image slowly emerged due mainly to the music-oriented magazines and the occasional 'Free Press' issues giving the Man exposure. The final portrait results of merging Jimi's showmanship with the music completed the mental assault and I went into total melt-down. Yes, as commented above, Jimi changed my life.

Pali Gap
09-08-09, 04:53 AM
I think Hendrix gave far more to life than he ever took out of it. Leaving much beauty behind him. And for a successful musician he kept his innocence (not to be mistaken with niaveity) which I think was a big part of his music-not that he was some kind of saint but you know what I mean. Some of his contemporaries seem, very jaded, trying to grasp out at the things they have lost on the path to fame and power they lose a bit of their souls and its like they always trying to grasp it back but keep missing. But Hendrix wasnt like this.Yes he got stressed out and burnt out but this was a physical/mental thing. He did what he had to do and and took off metaphoricaly speaking. He definately was meant to make people think,show them something, about music, shake things up so to speak, in a powerful way but a beautiful way. And his personal vibrations what he was really about continue in the legacy of music .

scoutship
09-08-09, 09:43 PM
Fall '72, opening chords to Purple Haze off AYE via headphones. My first exposure to bona fide interstellar transmissions. Hearing permanently altered. Never saw a sunrise, nor felt a shooting star fall, quite the same way again.

--Laughing Sam

pillbox bed
09-10-09, 08:19 AM
Hi Everyone.
So nice to read this thead, I couldnt help but share my little memories.
I was about 14 and had just joined my first school 'Band' - singing.
The bass player told me about "Hendrix" - who I mistakenly thought may have been something to do with this "heavy metal" so many people were into at the time...I loved the Beatles, but just did not get 'modern music'.
Then I saw "Monterey"...Oh Man...and was lucky enough to be born in a time when VHS versions of everything from "Lulu show" to "Rainbow Bridge" were available - and hungrily sought out.

I rode my bicycle into the summer sun singing "Manic Depression" and "Long hot summer night" to myself like I had just discovered Oranges or something.

It was an absolute revelation.

Since then many years and many psychedelic musical experiences have passed through my little world, and everytime I pick up the guitar I still feel a glow of Electric Church Music close by, and give thanks that I am lucky enough to plug-in to some element of what - I believe - is a force far greater than the 27 physical years granted, to this never-to-be-repeated-in-the-history-of-mankind soulpower.

(Patting Al Hendrix on the back in London at the blue plaque opening was the closest I ever got to say THANKS. so...)
Thank you Jimi :)

MourningStar
09-10-09, 10:22 AM
... (Patting Al Hendrix on the back in London at the blue plaque opening was the closest I ever got to say THANKS. so...)
Thank you Jimi :)Whoah! That must have been way cool. Nice first post and welcome aboard.

pillbox bed
09-12-09, 11:05 PM
Thank you very much MourningStar!

Yeah he seemed like a very sweet guy, signing autographs etc, - this experience was a major highlight of my time in London!

(BTW your avatar image rocks!...wotta world!)