PDA

View Full Version : I Wonder What People Were Thinking When..

bogey_j
09-13-09, 01:20 PM
Brian, Jimi, Janis, And Jim--these influential rock legends--all died within two years of each other. were conspiracy theories abounding? how was the rock press handling this? you think other rock musicians were paranoid?

I mean, as a fan, that must've been a trip. all these rock stars just dieing suddenly..

cleanuponaisle76
09-13-09, 02:15 PM
I know that Jim Morrison was paranoid. he fled to Paris because his manager told him he could be "next". John Lennon also, he let it be known if anything happened to him, to be suspicious.
of course conspiracy theories were abundant; at least half of those deaths could easily be conspiracies and probably were.

MourningStar
09-14-09, 12:21 AM
... I mean, as a fan, that must've been a trip. all these rock stars just dieing suddenly..yeah, as a fan it was a trip. Most of us here on the West Coast just shrugged it off like 'wow man, that's a drag - another one?"
And then we'd go back to partying.

(this attitude prevailed mostly amongst those of us that had yet to reach full-responsiblity, sober and mature adulthood - some of us never achieved this and many of these are now keeping company with afore-mentioned rock legends)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/XiKano/AVATAR/peace5.gif

RobbieRadio
09-14-09, 09:16 AM
Robbie Kreiger of The Doors in an interview quotes Morrison as actually saying " Jimi's gone, Janis is gone, I'm next."

This interview can be found in CT interviews section.

Q Did you ever talk to Jim Morrison or any of the other guys in the band about Jimi?

RK Oh, I’m sure we talked about him. Only thing I remember is Jim Morrison saying, “Well, Jimi’s gone and Janis is gone and I’m next.”

Q Wow, he really said that?

RK Yeah.

purple jim
09-14-09, 09:41 AM
At the time, we just thought that the deaths were simply directly related to the excessive lifestyles and drink/drug habits. The conspiracy thing came up two or three years later and it seemed an attractive theory to help reinforce the "us verses them" attitude. After all the research, it looks like the first impression was the right one.

Roland Stone
09-15-09, 01:24 AM
Don't forget Alan "Blind Owl" Wilson of Canned Heat also died in 1970.

bogey_j
09-15-09, 03:16 AM
Don't forget Alan "Blind Owl" Wilson of Canned Heat also died in 1970.
yeah, he was 27 when he died as well..

That Jim Morrison quote is some trippy stuff...Morrison is one of those guys that just knew he would never see 30. Jimi was the same way, so they did all they could with the time they had.

Olvator
09-15-09, 04:51 AM
I did an interview last week with Chris Farlowe, singer for Collosseum, and he said he was not surprised at all when he heard that Jimi had died. At that time you just got used to people dying away it did not seem to be a "big deal"...
He knew Jimi well and had witnessed him numerous times while partying and to him it had always been obvious that people like Jimi usually wouldn´t live to be very old....
I will post the interview on youtube soon....

RobbieRadio
09-15-09, 05:56 PM
Alan "Blind Owl" Wilson of Canned Heat died on 9/3/70 just before Canned Heat played the same bill with Jimi in Berlin, Germany 9/4/70.
Al is the 4th person to the right.
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o93/Grapost/CannedHeat.jpg

Crdx
09-18-09, 05:39 AM
Alan "Blind Owl" Wilson of Canned Heat died on 9/3/70 just before Canned Heat played the same bill with Jimi in Berlin, Germany 9/4/70.
Al is the 4th person to the right.
*Image*
There's actually an audience recording available of Canned Heat at that sad night in september '70. Perhaps it's made by the same person who recorded Jimi that night..

It always makes me happy when people mention the Blind Owl :) Boogie on!

purple jim
09-18-09, 08:52 AM
It always makes me happy when people mention the Blind Owl :) Boogie on!

Just to let you know that Alan Wilson is present on my Shrine page:
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/hendrix.guide/shrine.htm

stplsd
09-18-09, 09:28 AM
I did an interview last week with Chris Farlowe, singer for Collosseum, and he said he was not surprised at all when he heard that Jimi had died. At that time you just got used to people dying away it did not seem to be a "big deal"...
He knew Jimi well and had witnessed him numerous times while partying and to him it had always been obvious that people like Jimi usually wouldn´t live to be very old....
I will post the interview on youtube soon....

Yeah, right, in 20/20 hindsight.

Farlowe knew Jimi well? like when? a casual aquaintance maybe? even Mitch and Noel didn't claim to know Jimi "well."

Surely surprising it was Jimi rather than all the known heroin junkie musicians at the time, who went on to live for another twenty odd years at least???

Crdx
09-18-09, 02:32 PM
Just to let you know that Alan Wilson is present my Shrine page:
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/hendrix.guide/shrine.htm
Cool shrine, and nice site in all!

Surely surprising it was Jimi rather than all the known heroin junkie musicians at the time, who went on to live for another twenty odd years at least???

There may have been a lot of musicians that were more profound users of hard drugs (especially heroin), but that stlll doesn't mean that Jimi led a healthy life. And in that aspect such a comment about his death is still valid.

I agree with you upon 'knowing' Jimi though. However the music scene back then was way more intimate than it is now, and a lot of the major artists bumped into eachother at various occasions. I guess some of them could've seen Jimi going at it wildly at parties they've attended... And based their opinion about him on those encounters. It's funny that I can't recall any artist saying that they thought Jimi was arrogant or annoying. Must've been sad to see such a nice and talented guy blow himself out so bad.

Looking forward to that interview. Olvator!

purple jim
09-18-09, 02:41 PM
Yes, a lot of musicians felt that they knew Jimi "well" as at each encounter with him, he was so warm and friendly. Who knew him really well ? Devon, Kathy, Fayne, Billy, …

Crdx
09-18-09, 04:24 PM
Yes, a lot of musicians felt that they knew Jimi "well" as at each encounter with him, he was so warm and friendly. Who knew him really well ? Devon, Kathy, Fayne, Billy, …
Which probably makes Billy Cox his most 'important' musical sideman. (Though one could argue of course that that should be Mitch Mitchell. since he's practically been playing with Jimi from start to finish. ) Cox and Hendrix had this history together and I find it really awesome that Jimi invited his old friend to play with him again after all those years and after his rise to fame.

purple jim
09-19-09, 02:38 AM
…I find it really awesome that Jimi invited his old friend to play with him again after all those years and after his rise to fame.

Yes, that is significant. At the height of his fame he leans back to his old mate, not only for the moral support but to get that solid groove into his sound. It was a good move as he had taken "psychedelic rock" to its limit by then and admitted that The Experience were repeating themselves. In mid-69 he knew that it was time to get back down to Earth, to a more rootsy music, and for him that also meant, back to Billy.

The Earth Blues
09-19-09, 12:11 PM
Yes, that is significant. At the height of his fame he leans back to his old mate, not only for the moral support but to get that solid groove into his sound. It was a good move as he had taken "psychedelic rock" to its limit by then and admitted that The Experience were repeating themselves. In mid-69 he knew that it was time to get back down to Earth, to a more rootsy music, and for him that also meant, back to Billy.
The Experience were definitely repeating themselves, but I wouldn't say they completely went back to rootsy music...I mean listening to Band of Gypsys "Stone Free"...I feel like I am in space during that solo. In my opinion, one of his most psychedelic solos with that univibe swooshing so fast.