PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta 7/4/70 (3 Source Merge) ??

drivinsouth
09-16-09, 03:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7EHnjdx6os

this sounds great ! anyone knows more bout it ..????

purple jim
09-16-09, 05:40 AM
After a Google search, it looks like it is listed at the Trader's Den.

firstrays
09-16-09, 07:43 AM
Hi,
this is a 'Vibratory', 3 Source merge.
mick

Atlanta International Pop Festival, Middle Georgia Raceway, Byron, GA 04.07.70 - Vibratory 3 Source Merge (Version 2.0) [aka. "First Row Fireworks II"] (Vibratory 009 / 01.01.2005 / 2CDR)
(Atlanta International Pop Festival, Middle Georgia Raceway, Byron, GA 04.07.70 [Complete Show - Vibratory Stereo Effect Mix]) 3 Sources synchronized

RobbieRadio
09-16-09, 11:15 AM
I wish Jimi had stopped playing Star Spangled Banner after the Woodstock film and album had come out and left it as the "statement" that it was. The Woodstock version, to me, is the definative and best version. Very powerful, and with film, making a great impact. All other versions pale in comparision. To play it after Woodstock is, to me like reducing it to another "hit" to be performed in the set. These lesser performances take away from the greatness of the Woodstock performance. Some of the performances of it after Woodstock sound half-hearted, poor and and in some cases awful and embarrassing for an artist of Jimi's stature.

cleanuponaisle76
09-16-09, 11:36 AM
I wish Jimi had stopped playing Star Spangled Banner after the Woodstock film and album had come out and left it as the "statement" that it was. The Woodstock version, to me, is the definative and best version. Very powerful, and with film, making a great impact. All other versions pale in comparision. To play it after Woodstock is, to me like reducing it to another "hit" to be performed in the set. These lesser performances take away from the greatness of the Woodstock performance. Some of the performances of it after Woodstock sound half-hearted, poor and and in some cases awful and embarrassing for an artist of Jimi's stature.
I have to disagree. the LA Forum 1670 version reigns supreme to me. Berkeley 1970 isn't bad either.

Olvator
09-16-09, 01:03 PM
That is a very subjective view though. First of all Jimi had played it well before Woodstock...and the film did not come out right away, i think it came out in March 70 and how should Jimi have known that this version would be so heartfelt for most fans. It was a political statement and it had to be done even more desperately in 1970 than in 69...

purple jim
09-16-09, 01:38 PM
Jimi was a "pop star" after all, so he leaned heavily on crowd pleasing numbers. I'm sure he also really enjoyed letting rip with "SSB", and with "Machine Gun", the political overtones were still relevent a year after Woodstock. It worked in so well with "Purple Haze" also.

Jimi_Uchihaeyez
09-17-09, 06:24 PM
August 16th, 1968, Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia, Maryland (been there NUMEROUS times, happily enough :D) was the First Star Spangled Banner. He didn't just play it for Woodstock, and just because the Woodstock version may be the best, in some people's opinion, I don't think "I wish he didn't play that." is a good thing to say! I'd be happy to hear a recording of him playing the bongo's, let alone 30+ Star Spangled Banners! Woodstock's SSB was a defining moment but think. Is it JUST because it was at Woodstock and not the actual version? ;) I sound like I hate the Woodstock version but I absolutely love it.