PDA

View Full Version : Hendrix heaviest song? (Studio or live)

purplehazechild
09-21-09, 10:00 AM
I think Voodoo Child from Woodstock 1969 is one of the heaviest he ever played. And Purple Haze live Blackpool 1967:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMkuSyjrYAs

univibs
09-21-09, 10:23 AM
Machine Gun - from the official live release.

Jimi_Uchihaeyez
09-21-09, 11:57 AM
Red House - Randall's Island, NYC, 7/17/70 (Live)

Somewhere Over The Rainbow - ??? (Studio)

Hey Baby - Sweden, 9/1/70 (Live, Favorite Version/Favorite Song)

Red House - Fehmarn, Germany, 9/6/70 (Live)

I Don't Live Today - San Diego, CA 1969 (Live)

Machine Gun - New York, NY, 1/1/70 2nd Show, not infamous 1st Show.

purple jim
09-21-09, 12:31 PM
I think I'll stay with "Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)" - studio version.
The sound is just sooo heavy the way it swirls around your head (or your lounge). The treatment of his vocals, the guitar, WOW. Certainly also the heaviest song ever to top the singles chart (UK - 1970).
I'm working up a sweat just thinking about it.

manfree
09-21-09, 02:13 PM
I guess it depends on the term "Heavy" Do you mean in a Black Sabbeth kinda Way, or Lyrics? Shit, Jimi Was as Heavy as you want and also as Light as you want. Isn`t that what we love about the Man?

yelapavision
09-21-09, 02:48 PM
Cherokee Mist (the feedback one with Brian Jones) is pretty heavy, man.

purplehazechild
09-21-09, 02:56 PM
I guess it depends on the term "Heavy" Do you mean in a Black Sabbeth kinda Way, or Lyrics? Shit, Jimi Was as Heavy as you want and also as Light as you want. Isn`t that what we love about the Man?

yes I mean in a black sabbath way. hard riffs and stuff like that haha:D yes you have right he is fucking heavy but sometimes he is more heavy!

bogey_j
09-21-09, 02:58 PM
Jimi's last performance of Machine Gun Sept 3 in Copenhagen. gives off a sense of impending doom

purple jim
09-21-09, 03:08 PM
yes I mean in a black sabbath way. hard riffs and stuff like that haha:D

In that case, "Calling All Devils Children" !!
"Peace In Mississippi" !

Chris M
09-21-09, 10:24 PM

That's all Jimi and Mitch. Brian Jones wasn't involved.

Chris M
09-21-09, 10:25 PM
Jimi's last performance of Machine Gun Sept 3 in Copenhagen. gives off a sense of impending doom

Do you mean Berlin on 9/4? That's one of my favorite versions. Some parts are pretty rough there are some seriosuly intense moments that rival Fillmore East and Norman.

bogey_j
09-21-09, 10:30 PM
Do you mean Berlin on 9/4? That's one of my favorite versions. Some parts are pretty rough there are some seriosuly intense moments that rival Fillmore East and Norman.

youre right, I went back and checked and that was the version I meant

and is this the version of cherokee mist you guys were talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDK7AnoQD8c

imo thats one of jimi's best songs

MourningStar
09-22-09, 12:03 AM
I guess it depends on the term "Heavy" Do you mean in a Black Sabbeth kinda Way, ...fwiw, the term 'heavy' predates the Sabbs by a few years. We were tossing it around a lot here on the coast and in this context it found it's first home with "Purple Haze" & "Foxey Lady" (crank bass, treble and volume to 11 for full effect). These would be the original molds imho. Some cats out of the San Diego area soon afterwards titled their debut album after this term. However, only a few tunes are representative of the term with the instrumental closing track being the one to bring the house down.

dino77
09-22-09, 02:02 AM
fwiw, the term 'heavy' predates the Sabbs by a few years. We were tossing it around a lot here on the coast and in this context it found it's first home with "Purple Haze" & "Foxey Lady" (crank bass, treble and volume to 11 for full effect). These would be the original molds imho. Some cats out of the San Diego area soon afterwards titled their debut album after this term. However, only a few tunes are representative of the term with the instrumental closing track being the one to bring the house down.

Iron Butterfly's "Heavy"? Danny Weiss played on that, and Lou Reed's Sally Can't Dance - wonderful!

I'd go for "Peace in Mississippi" (the Crash Landing version is very heavy...). Not that "heavy" implies quality etc.

Olvator
09-22-09, 03:55 AM
PEACE IN MISSISSIPPI...when I first listened to the version from "Gypsy on Cloud Nine" (yes, that was before I even knew or heard any Crash Landing stuff!)....it blew me away. I thought it was the most brutal sounding Hendrix piece ever. Little did I know about the hundreds of Hendrix tapes I would start to collect shortly after this...:-)

purple jim
09-22-09, 06:16 AM
expjimi[/B] http://crosstowntorrents.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthread.php?p=23176#post23176)

That's all Jimi and Mitch. Brian Jones wasn't involved.

Jones was of course also rumoured to have played sitar on "Little One" (which became "There Ain't Nothing Wrong" in 1988, complete with a Noel Redding vocal). There was even a bootleg built around the idea called "He's Not Dead". It was of course Dave Mason who played the sitar.
The only known Hendrix recording with Brian Jones is "All Along The Watchtower" (as far as I know).

backfromthestorm
09-22-09, 08:24 AM
Peace in Mississippi for me.

I agree about the Woodstock Voodoo Chile though.. I was watching it just last night with my new girlfriend who knows absolutly nothing of Jimi.. She seemed to dig it though! How cool.. Good job too cos I had told her `if ya gonna get with me.. you gotta get with Jimi too`.. thats the way it is.

purple jim
09-22-09, 12:21 PM
…I had told her `if ya gonna get with me.. you gotta get with Jimi too`.. thats the way it is.

:D

yelapavision
09-22-09, 02:54 PM
Where did you read this? I've always heard it was Brian Jones.

thanks,
Mike

Jones was of course also rumoured to have played sitar on "Little One" (which became "There Ain't Nothing Wrong" in 1988, complete with a Noel Redding vocal). There was even a bootleg built around the idea called "He's Not Dead". It was of course Dave Mason who played the sitar.
The only known Hendrix recording with Brian Jones is "All Along The Watchtower" (as far as I know).[/QUOTE]

thefrenchowl
09-22-09, 03:19 PM
"When things get too heavy, just call me helium, the lightest known gas to man" Jimi, 1970

univibs
09-22-09, 03:48 PM
In that case, "Calling All Devils Children" !!
"Peace In Mississippi" !

let us all not forget "Midnight" the full version, also knowen as Trash Man.
that blowes me away every time...

tallboy333
09-22-09, 03:53 PM
Jimi's heaviest moment for me, has got to be the "Machine Gun" from 5/8/70 Norman OK, and the spooky instrumental passage that precedes it. Just the mood the country was in at the time, the Vietnam war, and the slain students at Kent and Jackson State colleges. At that moment in time it felt like the whole country was coming apart and all it would take would be a spark to send the whole thing up in the flames of anarchy. Jimi just conjures up this feeling of chaos slowly coalescing into something evil and giant looming over us all, it reminds me of some of H.P. Lovecraft at his most desparate and despairing. It just doesn't get any heavier than this, no matter what musician or artist you're talking about.
:eek2::mad::eek2::mad::82cfc67d3dd9b9c3ad1

purple jim
09-22-09, 04:29 PM
Where did you read this? I've always heard it was Brian Jones.

thanks,
Mike

The only known Hendrix recording with Brian Jones is "All Along The Watchtower" (as far as I know).[/QUOTE]

The erroneous assumption that it was Jones was corrected years ago.The Kramer and Mcdermott books also list Mason as being the sitar player.

Voodoo Kush
09-22-09, 05:08 PM
Its so hard to pick one

Voodoo Child @ Woodstock (WOW)

Midnight (for sure)

Red House @ Randall's Island! Woodstock, Norman and Isle of Wight are brilliant too

Hey Baby (The New Rising Sun) anywhere, but especially @ Stockholm & Copenhagen

Hear My Train @ Filmore East 69', Atlanta (listen to that univibe!), Berkeley, Gothenburg 1970, and Royal Albert Hall ofcourse!

Woodstock was a milestone in his career and Foxy Lady, Villanova Junction, Message to Love and the rest of the set are really impressive. Thats a heavy performance!

But the Heaviest song? Machine gun... at 01/01/70 First Set, Berkeley 2nd set... isle of wight, berlin....... thats just a bad question!! lol

Jimi_Uchihaeyez
09-22-09, 05:08 PM
Do you mean Berlin on 9/4?Just in response to Berlin 9/4/70, it was really a heavy show. Dark, heavy. Jimi just seemed tired and the music really dark and powerful. That whole show is something to put into this Catergory imo.

univibs
09-22-09, 05:14 PM
Its so hard to pick one

Voodoo Child @ Woodstock (WOW)

don't forget the RAH Coodoo Chile version, to me it's the most powerfull VC there is.

purplehazechild
09-22-09, 05:45 PM
great everybody! but do anyone of you know if Jimi ever listened to Black Sabbath´s first album that was released in februari 1970?

Roland Stone
09-23-09, 02:26 AM
The riffs at the beginning of Jimi/Jimmy Jam are pretty "heavy".

Roland Stone
09-23-09, 02:28 AM
Wasn't it Jimi who said when things get too heavy just call me "helium, the lightest gas known to man!"

purple jim
09-23-09, 06:10 AM
Yes.

ap0llo
09-23-09, 01:39 PM
great everybody! but do anyone of you know if Jimi ever listened to Black Sabbath´s first album that was released in februari 1970?

You know, this reminds me, do you think Jimi ever gave Issac Hayes' Hot Buttered Soul a listen? The reason I wonder is because the album's second track, "Hyperbolicsyllabicsesquedalymistic" has a similar bassline and rhythm to Jimi's "Izabella"! The album came out around June-July 1969, around the same time Jimi broke up with the Experience and began rehearsals for Woodstock, where he first performed "Izabella". Just a random thought that popped into my head.

MourningStar
09-23-09, 02:07 PM
... but do anyone of you know if Jimi ...All we really know is what Jimi says as captured on audio or video (when telling the truth). All else is hearsay?

MourningStar
09-23-09, 02:19 PM
You know, this reminds me, do you think Jimi ever gave Issac Hayes' Hot Buttered Soul a listen? The reason I wonder is because the album's second track, "Hyperbolicsyllabicsesquedalymistic" has a similar bassline and rhythm to Jimi's "Izabella"! ....I have no doubt Jimi listened to a lot of stuff. Agree that Hyper.../Izabella share similar sounds. Which reminds me - wouldn't it be 'fun' to list all the tunes that used the same chords as the legendary "Louie Louie". It would be encyclopedic in scope!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/XiKano/AVATAR/peace5.gif

scoutship
09-23-09, 06:57 PM
I'm not gonna even try to pick one.

But, last night after I got off work at about 1:00 am, I stopped by the supermarket to pick up something for breakfast this morning. As I walked down the aisle toward frozen foods, one of just a handful of shoppers that time of night, "Third Stone From the Sun" came up on the radio playing over the store's PA.

That was heavy.

bogey_j
09-23-09, 08:11 PM
just listened to peace in mississippi and that song is really damn heavy for 1968

lsdmofro
05-30-10, 03:39 PM
I think Killing Floor, Live, from the Kiss the Sky comp is just murder! I really can't think of a song where he plays so hard and fast. He is definetly out there to prove something...it might even pass for the 1st blues song that is punk...all my opinion...but all my life, i've have always been impressed with that track and the feriouciousness of this cut! Anyone agree with me?

Fenders Fingers
05-30-10, 03:53 PM
Quite few to pick from but PIM, Trash Man and Machine Gun, which blows me away today as it did in 1970. Heavy Man.

purplehazechild
05-30-10, 04:10 PM
man this is so heavy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QRrvnEZehs&feature=related

my favorite part begins at 1.40 its so fucking good!

thunderbaas
05-30-10, 04:12 PM
Just gues it depends on what you call heavy.
Midnight,Trashman for sure,but "Come on part2" in terms of a heavy drive sure comes close in my opinion.

Thunderbaas.

yelapavision
05-31-10, 03:23 AM
Just in response to Berlin 9/4/70, it was really a heavy show. Dark, heavy. Jimi just seemed tired and the music really dark and powerful. That whole show is something to put into this Catergory imo.

One thing to consider is, from that interview, he was horse & didn't ahve much of a voice that day. So, more playing, less singing maybe.

that version of MG gives me the shivers every time.

I'm also partial to (for being "heavy"
Peace In Mississippi
Calling All Devil's Children

and from other bands (why not, eh?) that are not Black Sabbath (everything they did is heavy!)
The Beatles Helter Skelter
Deep Purple Into The Fire from Deep Purple In Rock

yelapavision
05-31-10, 03:25 AM

I'd love to know that also. Always been a Sabbath fan.

Horizon
05-31-10, 06:35 AM
I'd love to know that also. Always been a Sabbath fan.
I don't know if Jimi heard their debut but their is a sad coincidence in that they released their second album on September 18th 1970:(

Sharpstat
05-31-10, 03:17 PM
One of my favourites is MLK/Easy Rider. Not too fond of some of Buddy's drumming during the song. The whole recording how good Jimi was at improvisation! In my mind I have yet to hear any guitarist living or dead that can/could just stand there and come up with that much soulful playing mistakes and all? :afro:

MourningStar
05-31-10, 08:10 PM
Midnight from War Heroes

ilovejimi
05-31-10, 08:14 PM
^agreed
New Rising Sun from Voodoo Soup
Peace in Mississippi from Crash Landing-- the dueling quitars in the beginning make this my favorite version

MourningStar
05-31-10, 08:29 PM
Midnight from War Heroes^that was my studio choice - for live I have to give it to the Winterland 1968.10.10 opener 'Are you Experienced?' - contains the most awesome intro and outro ever, the intro sort of like the birth and rising of Godzilla and the outro the fall & death of same, whew! It slays me start to finish everytime.

ilovejimi
05-31-10, 08:36 PM
^for live that is a great choice-- lets see i dig Hey Joe from Second set Jan9 69 Sweeden--SOYL from Austria Jan 69 and Machine Gun from Norman Oak

susep73
02-16-11, 09:20 PM
yes I mean in a black sabbath way. hard riffs and stuff like that haha:D yes you have right he is fucking heavy but sometimes he is more heavy!

I would say Midnight from April 1969 Olmstead. Very heavy, gritty, urban sounds almost like a slowed down chainsaw.

let us all not forget "Midnight" the full version, also knowen as Trash Man.
that blowes me away every time...

this.

Also Ezy Ryder has some metallic influence in its slashy melodicism. I've noticed in particular Spring through early Summer of '1969/pre Shokan, Jimi was really playing more of a harder edge style. Not in his live performances per se but definitely in his studio work. Although some of his riffs and chordal arrangements were rudimentary comparitively speaking, his lead and solo work was phenomenal in this period.

johngolby
02-17-11, 02:05 AM
If 6 was 9 sounds pretty heavy played loud.

smokinchains
02-17-11, 08:24 AM
The main riff in Calling All the Devil's Children is like proto-metal with the palm muting.

amazed
02-17-11, 11:30 AM
What could be heavier than Some GOD'S Making LOVE?, "All Along the Watchtower" is like a time machine back to the 60's, part of why it gets used so much in film. I've had Jimi pull me under water and twisting and revolving endless universal possibilities while he was a Merman. That entire double L.P. left everyone... from the Beatles and below wondering what the hell they were doing.

stplsd
02-17-11, 06:22 PM
[Midnight] that was my studio choice - for live I have to give it to the Winterland 1968.10.10 opener 'Are you Experienced?' - contains the most awesome intro and outro ever,

I'll second that choice musically.
But Belly Button Window is the "heaviest" topically. Has any other 'popular artist' written a song before that deals with birth control and the reality of and emotional issues of abortion? And has anyone since - from his non judgemental position? Apart from Madonna's "Papa Don't Preach" which is not considering that option.

rocknroll
02-18-11, 12:39 AM
voodoo child

purple jim
02-18-11, 02:19 PM
The main riff in Calling All the Devil's Children is like proto-metal with the palm muting.

Sounds like Link Wray was an influence there also.

MourningStar
02-18-11, 02:52 PM
voodoo childif you mean Voodoo Chile, i'm w/ya.

soccertackle14
02-18-11, 03:59 PM
Yeah, I can't imagine picking any other song than VCSR. That intro is like an earthquake tearing my house down. just NASTY!

thefrenchowl
02-19-11, 06:39 AM
STPLSD: Has any other 'popular artist' written a song before that deals with birth control and the reality of and emotional issues of abortion?

The Sex Pistols, Bodies...:

"""She was a girl from Birmingham
She just had an abortion
She was case of insanity
Her name was Pauline, she lived in a tree

She was a no one who killed her baby
She sent her letters from the country
She was an animal
She was a bloody disgrace

Body! I'm not an animal
Body! I'm not an animal

Dragged on a table in factory
Illegitimate place to be
In a packet in a lavatory
Die little baby screaming
Body screaming fucking bloody mess
Not an animal
It's an abortion

Body! I'm not animal
Mummy! I'm not an abortion

[Spoken]
Throbbing squirm,
gurgling bloody mess
I'm not a discharge
I'm not a loss in protein
I'm not a throbbing squirm

Fuck this and fuck that
Fuck it all and fuck a fucking brat
She don't wanna baby that looks like that
I don't wanna baby that looks like that
Body, I'm not an animal
Body, an abortion

Body! I'm not an animal
Body! I'm not an animal
An animal
I'm not an animal.....
I'm not an abortion.....

Mummy! UGH!"""

Patrick

<!-- 11471612 -->

purple jim
02-19-11, 09:21 AM
^An incredible blast of fury from the Pistols. Fabulous.

MourningStar
02-19-11, 11:25 AM
The Sex Pistols, Bodies...: ...hmmm, ... well there's art (Hendrix's 'Belly Button Window'), then there's this, stuff that seeps out of open wounds and leaking septic tanks.

peace1

dino77
02-19-11, 11:53 AM
hmmm, ... well there's art (Hendrix's 'Belly Button Window'), then there's this, stuff that seeps out of open wounds and leaking septic tanks.

peace1

Yes, but sometimes you need that kind of music. And Pistols were high IQ if you only count the singer :).

purple jim
02-19-11, 12:14 PM
hmmm, ... well there's art (Hendrix's 'Belly Button Window'), then there's this, stuff that seeps out of open wounds and leaking septic tanks.

What a silly thing to say. The Pistols were absolutely brilliant at what they did. Few groups acheive perfection in their art but they nailed it. OK, no great solos, no "high level of musicianship", that wasn't the point. It was flat out fuck you rock 'n' roll. Old hairies didn't get it and some still don't (even younger music lovers don't see it). Shame.

MourningStar
02-19-11, 12:44 PM
Yes, but sometimes you need that kind of music. ...probably, if i'm ever on a death-bed battling every disease imaginable in a determined struggle to stay alive until the last possible second, that kind of music will provide me the strength to quickly reach for the shotgun and ...

peace1

dino77
02-19-11, 03:14 PM
Hmmm...I refer to Purple Jim. Let's say the Pistols and their contemporaries saved "rock music" which had grown very very stale during that time.

MourningStar
02-19-11, 03:38 PM
Hmm... Let's say the Pistols and their contemporaries saved "rock music" which had grown very very stale during that time.we agree to disagree, however, fact is this 'may' be true for UK/Euro-based 'rock music' but the good ol' USA 'rock music' scene has been world-class since rock's birth.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/XiKano/EMOTSMILEY/music-smiley-1306.gif

thefrenchowl
02-19-11, 05:53 PM
Sorry guys,

I did not want to start a fight, just answered a querry by STPLSD...

Personnally, and I've listened and enjoyed a lot of stuff over the last 50 years since my 1st LP, Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited, out of all the so called Rock'n Roll, I'll keep Jimi and the Pistols and leave the rest for you to fight over!!!

Patrick

dino77
02-19-11, 06:25 PM
we agree to disagree, however, fact is this 'may' be true for UK/Euro-based 'rock music' but the good ol' USA 'rock music' scene has been world-class since rock's birth.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/XiKano/EMOTSMILEY/music-smiley-1306.gif

Mmm, yes America had a healthy music scene ever since some young UK lads imported and exported it ;). PeACE beer3

MourningStar
02-19-11, 09:17 PM
Mmm, yes America had a healthy music scene ever since some young UK lads imported and exported itSex Pistols, right? oops, wrong, they ripped off USA original proto-punkster Iggy and his crew, heh heh,. Go USA!

jhendrixfanatic
02-19-11, 10:39 PM
The lyrics of I Don't Live Today (pretend your hearing it for the first time) are heavy and grim.

Mourningstar, I saw Iggy and the Stooges at Coachella in 2003. It was the first time they had been on stage together in 40 yrs. Do correct me if I'm wrong.bump1

dino77
02-20-11, 03:40 AM
Sex Pistols, right? oops, wrong, they ripped off USA original proto-punkster Iggy and his crew, heh heh,. Go USA!

Yes, quite right in that case. But also New York Dolls (love em).

dino77
02-20-11, 03:41 AM
The lyrics of I Don't Live Today (pretend your hearing it for the first time) are heavy and grim.

Mourningstar, I saw Iggy and the Stooges at Coachella in 2003. It was the first time they had been on stage together in 40 yrs. Do correct me if I'm wrong.bump1

The original band played up to 1971 or something, so about 30 years.

Now back to a heavy music from Mr Hendrix...

purple jim
02-20-11, 03:47 AM
Sex Pistols, right? oops, wrong, they ripped off USA original proto-punkster Iggy and his crew, heh heh,. Go USA!

Oh yeah, and Dylan "Ripped off" Woody Guthrie and Leadbelly, Jimi "ripped off" Muddy Waters and Link Wray, The Beatles "ripped off" The Everly Brothers and Buddy Holly,... Bollocks.

purple jim
02-20-11, 03:56 AM
we agree to disagree, however, fact is this 'may' be true for UK/Euro-based 'rock music' but the good ol' USA 'rock music' scene has been world-class since rock's birth.

In the early 60s, American rock was dead. Only the arrival of The Beatles and Stones fed life back into it.
In the same way, traditional American rock music in the mid seventies was dire. Even if The Ramones and Television triggered "the punk movement" in the mid seventies it would have remained a quirky New York club thing if the British bands hadn't have picked up on it and made it international. What the Pistols did with that was phenomenal, short lived but beautiful.

MourningStar
02-20-11, 11:07 AM
In the early 60s, American rock was dead. Only the arrival of The Beatles and Stones fed life back into it.
....bs2

purple jim
02-20-11, 01:13 PM
^Pray tell us what was happening on the rock front in the USA between 1960 and 1964.

souldoggie
02-20-11, 01:17 PM
OK, I know this is a Hendrix forum but the New York Dolls were just mentioned in this thread, so here's my New York Dolls story.
On Friday, May 24, 1974, I saw the Dolls live and in concert at the Hara Arena (a hockey arena) in Dayton, Ohio.
Just look at this crazy, "you don't see them like this anymore", old school, 1970's rock concert line-up:
Billy Cobham ($2,500)
Blue Oyster Cult ($1,500)
The New York Dolls ($500)
Isis ($500, all girl rock band, reportedly all living an "alternative" lifestyle)
Dixie Peach ($500)
The money I've noted was the fee the promoter (Tom Wiser) paid each band. A couple anecdotes:
First, the show was running so late that the Dolls ended performing last, after the headliner Blue Oyster Cult, around 2:00 AM, and by that time the arena had cleared out leaving only a couple of hundred people who stayed to watch the Dolls. Including me.
Cobham's fee was largest even though he wasn't the headliner.
The promoter cut everyone a check backstage, except the Dolls. There was a shouting match, the Dolls insisted on being paid in cash.
So with whole band (including the Dolls manager) climbed in a station wagon with NY plates and followed the promoter, Tom Wiser, as they all drove 20 minutes to his record store (Forest Records) where-upon he opened up his safe, and handed the Dolls manager $500 cash. Each guy took $100.
The only thing I remember about the concert was the Dolls performance as I'd never seen anything like it. They all looked wild and acted nuts. At least to my 17 year-old eye balls. Plus, me and my buddies were higher then kites by that hour.
OK, I know it was way off topic, thanks for indulging me. Back to Jimi.

stplsd
02-20-11, 01:54 PM
^
Sounds like fun:-)
Amazing how little they were paid, and that in 1974 too. Put's Jimi's fees into pespective somewhat;-)

MourningStar
02-20-11, 02:07 PM
^Pray tell us what was happening on the rock front in the USA between 1960 and 1964.Dude, you're just wanting to be argumentative for it's own sake and possibly to increase your post count. Do your own research. There's a ton of material if you'll just get off your lazy butt and seek. And just to show you there's no ill-will from this end I'll get you started with :

http://rockhall.com/story-of-rock/timelines/

Now go and happy studying -

the end!

souldoggie
02-20-11, 02:26 PM
^
Sounds like fun:-)
Amazing how little they were paid, and that in 1974 too. Put's Jimi's fees into pespective somewhat;-)

Thanks stplsd, it was fun.
I looked up the value of those fees in 2011 dollars.
$500 in 1974 = $2,337.11
$1,500 in 1974 = $7,011.33
$2,500 in 1974 = $11,685.55

purple jim
02-20-11, 03:01 PM
Dude, you're just wanting to be argumentative for it's own sake

Not at all, I just don't agree with what you said. This is a friggin' forum after all and not your website.

Now go and happy studying -
the end!

Just did my research (not that I needed to, it proved what I said), NOTHING was happening on the rock front in the US in the early 60s. Soul music was as strong as hell with the Motown artists and Jaaaames Brown but apart from that all that was coming out was surf music, Del Shannon, Bobby Vee etc.

Check these timelines

http://pages.prodigy.net/cousinsteve/rock/feat4.htm
http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_timeline-r2.html
http://www.scaruffi.com/music/chrono60.html

Here's a little quote from John Lennon also (from "Lennon Remembers"):

"And when we got here, you were all walkin' round in fuckin' bermuda shorts with Boston crewcuts and stuff in your teeth.... The chicks looked like 1940s horses. There was no conception of dress or any of that jazz."
"We came over here and...nobody was listening to rock 'n' roll and black music in America. We were coming to the land of its origin but nobody wanted to know about it."

MourningStar
02-20-11, 03:14 PM
...Soul music was as strong as hell with the Motown artists and Jaaaames Brown ... surf music, ....you rest my case.

and Lennon was as myopic as all hell, but I luved him anyways, very funny bloke!

purple jim
02-20-11, 04:07 PM
Good, that clears that up then, nothing was happening on the rock front.

MourningStar
02-20-11, 05:17 PM
Good, that clears that up then, nothing was happening on the rock front.wrong again, you conveniently dismiss soul, funk, rhythym & blues, etc. as non-rock. Fortunately, the Rock Hall of Fame does not, as do most historians. However, I concede that you just 'don't get it'.

laters,

purple jim
02-20-11, 11:55 PM
"Rock Hall Of Fame" - utter BS. So ALL is rock now? It's all music, popular music if you like but it ain't all rock. One shouldn't succombe to journalistic stylisations. Pardon me but Funk did not exist in the early 60s even some music could be described as "funky". Rock was not happening in America in the early 60s.
Hell we're off subject again.

Sharpstat
02-21-11, 01:09 AM
"Rock Hall Of Fame" - utter BS. So ALL is rock now? It's all music, popular music if you like but it ain't all rock. One shouldn't succombe to journalistic stylisations. Pardon me but Funk did not exist in the early 60s even some music could be described as "funky". Rock was not happening in America in the early 60s.
Hell we're off subject again.

Tell James Brown that funk didn't exist.Fucking Mick Jagger stood backstage and watched James Brown do his moves on TV before they performed and then himself got on Ed Sullivan and copied his moves! It's all what we identify with while growing up isn't it?Honestly, I didn't pay any attention to groups like the sex pistols until I read about Sid Vicious killing himself.

purple jim
02-21-11, 02:50 AM
The term "funk" wasn't used to describe the music in the early 60s. It was R'n'B. There was even seperate charts for it.
We're talking about Rock, Rock n Roll. Sure, James Brown and Marvin Gaye "rocked" to use a more modern expression but they wern't "rock n roll artists". That is what Lennon was saying. Rock just wasn't happening in the USA in the early 60s.

MourningStar
02-21-11, 09:53 AM
^
pontificate till you turn blue purplejim (or would that be purple?), as said before, you just don't 'get it'.

Sharpstat
02-21-11, 11:07 AM
The first deadly sin is.....................? Pride!!! Eliminate that first one and the other 6 don't enter into the equation. Purple Jim I give you credit for stubborness.stir1

purple jim
02-21-11, 12:52 PM
It's nothing to do with stobborness. I just react when I see that someone says something stupidly patriotic à la George Bush "You're either with us, or against us". It's pathetic.

MourningStar
02-21-11, 01:37 PM
It's nothing to do with stobborness. I just react when I see that someone says something stupidly patriotic à la George Bush "You're either with us, or against us". It's pathetic.statements such as this are what's pathetic, not to mention that it brings the list's collective IQ to new lows.

peace1

soccertackle14
02-22-11, 11:28 AM
The SSB/Straight Ahead Connection and the start of Straight Ahead at Atlanta 70. A mastery of rocknroll

Papi
02-22-11, 03:29 PM
Gotta agree that VCSR is pretty heavy, but I think that Little Miss Lover should be mentioned toojimi1