PDA

View Full Version : Lyrics questions

Ayler
09-25-09, 03:30 AM
Who is the electric lady Hendrix is talking about in the album second track? He said in a interview it was about groupie(s), but could it be about guitar? Or something else?

It's very often said that his mother was the woman of "Gypsy Eyes". Is that really sure? Did Hendrix mentioned that in a interview (I don't remember anyone)?

Thanks for the answers!

Ayler
10-09-09, 10:46 AM
Anyone?

Jimi_Uchihaeyez
10-09-09, 10:55 AM
Who is the electric lady Hendrix is talking about in the album second track? He said in a interview it was about groupie(s), but could it be about guitar? Or something else?It was probably about groupies like said in that interview. I can't think of anything else. Electric Lady could be reffering to one groupie in particular though.

It's very often said that his mother was the woman of "Gypsy Eyes". Is that really sure? Did Hendrix mentioned that in a interview (I don't remember anyone)?I've always thought it was that. Maybe stplsd can find a interview that says different.

stplsd
10-09-09, 11:05 AM
Who is the electric lady Hendrix is talking about in the album second track? He said in a interview it was about groupie(s), but could it be about guitar? Or something else?

It's very often said that his mother was the woman of "Gypsy Eyes". Is that really sure? Did Hendrix mentioned that in a interview (I don't remember anyone)?

I've never heard of an interview where Jimi discusses who the "Woman" was in either of these songs, or any song for that matter [any info to the contrary, very welcome]. It's really up to the (informed?) listener. From it's context "Electric woman" appears to me to be clearly generic (ie in the plural, the type of women who inhabit "Electric-Lady Land" [ie "groupies" - whatever that means? - a stupid, pejorative word - Jimi's "band-aids" is far better, if you must]) not about a specific woman.
As to "Gypsy Eyes" it very much appears to be written from a child's point of view: "Oh, little boy, you know I could love you, but first..." and: "sitting up in my tree beside my fire", and given Jimi & his mother's relationship and history it can be seen as being semi-autobiographical. Although, as Jimi himself mentions, his songs can each address more than one subject at at a time.

For instance Jimi mentioned that 'Machine Gun' is about both personal relationships, (Devon esp.?) and about war, (a listen to the lyrics supports this) which most writers [conveniently/ignorantly?] overlook.

norocker
10-09-09, 04:48 PM
I thought I remember reading somewhere that Gypsy Eyes was about Kathy Etchingham?

ElectricWing
10-09-09, 05:40 PM
Since we're on the topic of lyric questions:

She drew her wheelchair to the edge of the shore
And to her legs she smiled you wont hurt me no more
But then a sight shed never seen made her jump and say
Look a golden winged ship is passing my way

And it really didnt have to stop, it just kept on going...

I've always wondered about the last two lines. What happened? What do they signify?

thefrenchowl
10-09-09, 06:48 PM
Since the other two verses are autobiographical, I'd like to think it's about Jimi... He just saw this earth, could have gone somewhere else but decided to stop here for a while...

Patrick

stplsd
10-10-09, 04:54 PM
Since we're on the topic of lyric questions:

I've always wondered about the last two lines. What happened? What do they signify?

The girl who couldn't speak a sound and couldn't walk on seeing the spaceship jumped up and spoke, ie was cured, so it doesn't really matter that it didn't stop as the sight of it was enough to cure her, and her plan to throw herself of the cliff was thwarted - a happy outcome, unlike the previous two who's plans didn't work out and had unhappy endings.

MourningStar
10-11-09, 12:37 AM
Well, not neccesarily a spaceship (true spaceship has no need of wings), a 'golden winged ship' - one can interpret it to be a fanastic sea vessel, perhaps with golden sails giving the appearance of 'wings'. However, with so much fantasy-themes involved a spaceship is ok. Jimi's lyrics are often such that everybody can 'visualize' their own interpretation and remain valid. (Which is why I always am curious why people would ask for an interpretation of Jimi's written works. Like his music, the lyrics also are subject to individual absorption)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/XiKano/AVATAR/peace5.gif

buffalorattle
10-11-09, 01:11 AM
I read somewhere ( maybe a Tony Brown book) that the last verse in "Castles made of sand" relate to Jimi's sister Pamela who was born with a physical disability and was wheelchair bound, Will find further info when I dig the book out

bogey_j
10-11-09, 01:41 AM
I think in most of his songs, Jimi used the main women in his life as his muse. Example:

Little wing and Dolly Dagger were about Devon

Wind cries mary and Gypsy Eyes were about Kathy

Castles made of sand and Angel were about his mom

dino77
10-11-09, 03:41 AM
I think in most of his songs, Jimi used the main women in his life as his muse. Example:

Little wing and Dolly Dagger were about Devon

Wind cries mary and Gypsy Eyes were about Kathy

Castles made of sand and Angel were about his mom

Where did you read that LW is about Devon?

bogey_j
10-11-09, 04:28 AM
Where did you read that LW is about Devon?

http://books.google.ca/books?id=0UU2TUNrNaQC&pg=PA132&lpg=PA132&dq=devon+wilson+little+wing&source=bl&ots=88WBIZPJyu&sig=QbIl_t3RRN8Bflj8WfReChq2oDY&hl=en&ei=8pbRSqSkAsiwlAeWnLCpCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CBoQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=devon%20wilson%20little%20wing&f=false

there's also another book that says little wing was really for devon, but I cant remember it right now

stplsd
10-11-09, 04:58 AM
http://books.google.ca/books?id=0UU2TUNrNaQC&pg=PA132&lpg=PA132&dq=devon+wilson+little+wing&source=bl&ots=88WBIZPJyu&sig=QbIl_t3RRN8Bflj8WfReChq2oDY&hl=en&ei=8pbRSqSkAsiwlAeWnLCpCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CBoQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=devon%20wilson%20little%20wing&f=false

there's also another book that says little wing was really for devon, but I cant remember it right now

According to Jimi it was his feeling about Monterey, summed up in the shape of a girl.

Hopkins book is full of other dodgy nonsense as well.

stplsd
10-11-09, 05:14 AM
Well, not neccesarily a spaceship (true spaceship has no need of wings), a 'golden winged ship' - one can interpret it to be a fanastic sea vessel, perhaps with golden sails giving the appearance of 'wings'. However, with so much fantasy-themes involved a spaceship is ok. Jimi's lyrics are often such that everybody can 'visualize' their own interpretation and remain valid. (Which is why I always am curious why people would ask for an interpretation of Jimi's written works. Like his music, the lyrics also are subject to individual absorption)

Whatever the form her "ship" vision/siting took is really immaterial, Electricwing was asking about the last two lines relevance. Have you got a better/different interpretation? Why not share your's with us?;-)

As for the form of the vision/siting, maybe it was a flying oil-tanker with giant bird's wings ;-). It would need to be something pretty startling to effect a "miracle cure". Since we have no reliable evidence of any actual "spaceships" or of the science that would involve it could be any shape you like, they are frequently pictured in old fantasy mags etc. as round with swept back rounded "wings" ending in long trailing points, or "saucers" with a prominent disc running around them, which "poetically" can be seen as "wings"

Or maybe it was just a ship sailing by with yellow sails?

And then there's his "giant boat from space" in House Burning Down,

bogey_j
10-11-09, 05:15 AM
According to Jimi it was his feeling about Monterey, summed up in the shape of a girl.

Hopkins book is full of other dodgy nonsense as well.

yeah i know Jimi said that, but back in those days it wasnt hip to say a song was written for a particular person (be it a wife, girlfriend, whatever). Songwriters like to leave that stuff open for the public to interpret. The reason why he didnt divulge to the public that he was dating Kathy or Devon was to protect his image as a ladiesman.

But i'm not claiming to know anything for sure. The only person who knows fully what his songs were about was Jimi.

stplsd
10-11-09, 05:17 AM
But i'm not claiming to know anything for sure. The only person who knows fully what his songs were about was Jimi.

With all that's been written, I think it's a pretty sure bet that Dolly is about Devon though?
There's also a song called Power of God [aka 'Power of Soul' it would appear from the context with the other songs on the list] - has "love to Devon" written next to it on his "list of songs to try in studio"
And then there's 'Crash Landing' fairly obviously about Devon's shooting up?

It's still nice to interpret Jimi's work as we do with any other lyricist or poet?
But just to assert something without any qualification as Hopkins does is pointless.

The reason why he didnt divulge to the public that he was dating Kathy or Devon was to protect his image as a ladiesman.

Well, he did do a photo article with and about Kathy ("my Yoko Ono from Chester") in a mass circulation British daily in January 69.

stplsd
10-11-09, 06:56 AM
I thought I remember reading somewhere that Gypsy Eyes was about Kathy Etchingham?

You probably did, it's a quote from Kathy, surprise. Definately unlikely, as it would be very difficult to interpret the lyrics as being in any way about Kathy.

I find her story about Wind Cries Mary quite convincing though.

MourningStar
10-12-09, 01:51 PM
...Have you got a better/different interpretation? Why not share your's with us...I don't trip on the lyrics and typically just take them literally. Therefore, my 'interpretation' is exactly how the lyrics read.

:rolleyes:

stplsd
10-12-09, 03:27 PM
I don't trip on the lyrics and typically just take them literally. Therefore, my 'interpretation' is exactly how the lyrics read. :rolleyes:

Exactly how they read 'literally' to your interpretation in other words, no?

eg "one can interpret it to be a fanastic sea vessel, perhaps with golden sails giving the appearance of 'wings'"

purple jim
10-12-09, 05:41 PM
I always imagined that the ship was a space vessel that took the girl as it passed.

MourningStar
10-12-09, 09:31 PM
Exactly how they read 'literally' to your interpretation in other words, no?

eg "one can interpret it to be a fanastic sea vessel, perhaps with golden sails giving the appearance of 'wings'"Works for me!

MourningStar
10-12-09, 09:32 PM
I read somewhere ( maybe a Tony Brown book) that the last verse in "Castles made of sand" relate to Jimi's sister Pamela who was born with a physical disability and was wheelchair bound, ...... also works for me!

stplsd
10-13-09, 06:53 AM
Works for me!

What your interpretation of the type of ship or who was in the wheelchair was not the question. Read above.

I was pointing out that your statement that you didn't "interpret" Jimi's lyrics was not valid and that what is "literal" or not, is itself an 'interpretation".

I never said your interpretation didn't "work" (of course the vision 'could be' a sailing ship as well as a 'spaceship';-).

stplsd
10-13-09, 07:45 AM
I read somewhere ( maybe a Tony Brown book) that the last verse in "Castles made of sand" relate to Jimi's sister Pamela who was born with a physical disability and was wheelchair bound, Will find further info when I dig the book out

Leon says Jimi told him it was about his mother who he says was in a wheel chair the last time he saw her, and it may well be, although there was nothing wrong with her legs, and she wasn't dumb (wasn't allowed to give her opinion by Al - poetic licence?), in which case the imagery would suggest she went off/was whisked away from the "edge of the shore"/cliff (the edge of life/death) and (died) flew off to heaven on the "golden winged ship" (Jimi described stories of visiting angels as being about UFOs on occasion). The 1st verse he says is about his mother & (drunken) father and the second about him (Leon - the little Indian boy) being taken away by the 'welfare' at night ("surprise attack killed him in his sleep that night" - ie killed his "dreams").

The only mention of Pamela I have seen is in Charles Cross' book, he merely says she was born with lesser disabilities than her (& Jimi & Leon's) sister Kathy (born blind), he doesn't specify what these disabilties were.

Is it possible you may have conflated these two stories?
If not, it would be very interesting to read the other account.

I see no reason why these three tales should be about anyone in particular though, there's nothing in them that can't be interpreted more easily in a general sense. Apart from Gypsy Eyes (which is easily interpreted as being about his (frequently & ultimately completely absent) mother, a general interpretation would be hard to argue - but feel free;-)and possibly Wind cries mary viz Kathy story. The only songs that appear to have anyone particular in mind are the 1969/70 ones about Devon, relating unambiguously to her fairly well documented behaviour and history.

Pali Gap
10-13-09, 10:35 AM
I think they could be about multiple people as I guess he'd work on lyrics but them away came back to them or have old lyrics in the back of his mind which he reworked.

I think Wind Cries Mary was about an earlier girlfriend called Regina which means Queen , "somewhere a queen is weeping, somewhere a king has no wife" and Kathy and the domestic fraca they had which inspired the rest of the lyrics- when all the jacks are the boxes, the clowns, footsteps dressed in red etc. Mary was Kathy second name so I guess that fit.

I think Kathy used Gypsy Eyes as a good title for her book as she was partly descended from Gypsies. I dont think the song was about her.

I think Dolly Dagger, Freedom and Crash Landing were about Devon.

Angel was about is mom and Castles Made Sand seems to refer to all the family breakdown and his mothers death...Beautiful song though.

Little Wing was about the Monterey Pop festival and these hippy girls running around high having the time of their lives and the general vibe there.

MourningStar
10-13-09, 08:51 PM
... I was pointing out that your statement that you didn't "interpret" Jimi's lyrics was not valid ... sez u ...

... and that what is "literal" or not, is itself an 'interpretation". ...... then we agree. Read above.

stplsd
10-13-09, 10:13 PM
... then we agree

Yeah, I agree that you're contradicting yourself.

You also missed the point, which was someone asking for an interpretation of what the last two lines mean.

Nonhuman
10-13-09, 10:24 PM
Reading this thread and considering "Castles Made Of Sand" takes me back about 25 years. My daughter was born in 1983 with cerebral palsy and used a wheelchair until she had surgery to release certain muscles so she could learn to use a walker. I remember she learned to talk extremely early as she spent a great deal more time with us adults. She couldn't roam like other small children. My friends were always amazed to be holding intensively articulate conversations with this tiny little girl. She really was a constant source of amazement.

I can remember playing Castles Made Of Sand and wondering what might be going through her mind listening to the lyrics. I used to watch her reactions, but I was always too hesitant to directly mention the lyrics to her. I always felt like I would be overstepping boundaries. I was only 24 years old myself when she was born. She was our second child, yet we were still learning things day by day. Our son was only 4 years older. I think it may be easy to think simplistically about how another person might handle such personal situations. But I think some situations nearly escape empathy. I tend to think Jimi might have been very guarded about his personal feelings wrapped within this song. Some things hurt forever.

purple jim
10-14-09, 01:43 AM
Your daughter sounds like a great lady. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us Nonhuman. As you say, Jimi had a talent for blending his emotions within the beautiful poetry of his songs.

MourningStar
10-14-09, 01:47 AM
Yeah, I agree ... ok - that's your interpretation.

have a nice day,

MourningStar
10-14-09, 01:48 AM
Your daughter sounds like a great lady. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us Nonhuman. As you say, Jimi had a talent for blending his emotions within the beautiful poetry of his songs.ditto!

bogey_j
10-14-09, 03:04 AM
This is probably Jimi's most autobiographical songs concerning his relationships. This one is also about Devon. The sad irony of this song is that he warns her that the road she's on will only lead to death, yet Jimi died before she did...

You got me sitting up on the shelf
While you're out bewitching someone else.
Do I live, do I die
Do I laugh, do I cry
What game am I supposed to lose this time ?

You got chains attached to my head
You spreading magic honey all in your bed
What is it you want ?
Just a puppet that talks
Or maybe just a lover who makes love to the dead.

Step onto the stage...just a few more minutes...
Let's see what kind of juggler you really are.
Say without that whip and those bloody boots
Which are rented...you actually could become
A morning star...
But you rang your last bell
Even your planets, they've gone to hell
And your world turns to nothing but a bubble
In a shotgun jar.
And now you don't know who you really are.

So instead of trying to make me your slave
Why don't you just...call it a day.
Either way I'm gonna win
So save yourself some wind
Don't make me to be the last to see
You to your grave...
Well well, ball and chain...for sale.
New day come...masters gone to hell...
Well well, ball and chain...for sale.
Sunrise come...master's dying in hell...

stplsd
10-14-09, 08:06 AM
^
Thanks for that bogeyj. It's interesting that this is one of the very few pieces by Jimi with a date on it (July 19 1969) this was the time that Jimi spent a fair bit of time up at his Boiceville house, where he was photographed with Devon. It was written on Hotel Navarro (NYC) stationary, Jimi appears to have stayed there quite often around this time. Many of his songs around this time can be seen to be based on his turbulent relationship with Devon & drugs (esp Dolly Dagger & Freedom), including Machine Gun (partly) which he said was about relationships ("people fighting wars within' themselves") as well as about war:
"I ain’t afraid of your bullets babe, ain’t afraid no more
After a while your cheap talk don’t even cause me pain…
So let your bullets fly like rain
Knowing all the time that you’re wrong babe…
And you’ll be going just the same 3 times the pain
And your own self to blame"

He also appears to have been doing quite a bit of gear of one sort or another himself around this time (as it appears was most everyone else around him), although not fixing, which he put's down several times in songs including this one:
"And your world turns to nothing but a bubble in a 'shotgun' [syringe] 'jar' [(cylinder/barrel) just prior to "shooting"]
And now you don't know who you really are."

And in 'Trashman':

I am your trash man <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Throw out all your trash today <o:p></o:p>
Clean out your mind today <o:p></o:p>
Please pass the weed <o:p></o:p>
and please take some heed. <o:p></o:p>
Take your ‘fast glass guns’* and <o:p></o:p>
throw them away. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
*‘Fast glass guns’ = syringes
"Or maybe just a lover who makes love to the dead."
This is not the only time Jimi complained in a song about making love to her when she was too out of it ("dead"):

CRASH LANDING[I]*<o:p></o:p>

He-ey! you don’t love me, girl, but you, you just want me so-uh
Let’s make it baby so I can leave
You don’t need me, you just wanna bleed me
So take out your dagger and-uh cut me dee-eep
Cut me free mm-mm, cut me free-ee-ee, hey
He-ey! you don’t love me, girl, you’re just tryin’ to suffocate me
So hand me your blankets and-uh take your dirty shee-eets
Take your dirty, dirty, dirty sheets, yeah take your dirty sheets
Well I must admit that you could be a pretty good artist-uh
By noticin’ that smile painted all across your face
Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh
I do declare you should be a rocket
Well-uh take a look how easy you get me
Spaced out, laid out, look at the sun and fade out
And you almost made me leave my faith outsi-i-ide
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Hey!<o:p></o:p>
You don’t love me, hey, look at you
All lovey dovey when you’re messin’ round with that needle
Well I, I wonder how would your lovin’ be otherwi-i-i-se
I wonder just how would your lovin’ be he-he otherwise
Well dig this I’m uh, I’m gonna spank your hands
And I’m gonna throw away your stupid needle
I’m gonna try and make love straight
For the very first and last time
And I’ll take it easy this time, sugar
Unless you want to hurry up and die
You don’t love me girl, you just wanna hurt me
So let’s hurry up and get this scene over
So you can hurry up with that old speed ha-ha
You don’t need me, you just wanna see me watch you
Run after that old suicide ball
Bouncin’ across the freewa-a-a-y, yeah
Bang, ba-ang, shoot, shoot
As long as you’re your old self girl
I’ll try not to give a hoot
Yea-eah, yeah-ea-yeah slow down
Ba-ang, bang, Lord, shoot, shoot, shoot
As long as you’re a silly ass
I don’t give a hoot
Yeah slow down, slow dow-own
Ba-ang, bang shoo-oot , shoot
As long as you’re goin’ to be all messed up
I don’t give a damn
Slow down, slow down, slow down
Ba-ang, bang, shoot, shoot
As long as you’re your silly self I don’t give a hoot
* Probably directed at Devon Wilson & her shooting up (“Dagger” [needle], “messin’ round with that needle”, <o:p></o:p>
“bang,bang, shoot, shoot” [shooting up – injecting], “suicide ball” [speedball – heroin & coke mixed together, a very dangerous combination resposible for many an overdose] <o:p></o:p>
This title and also ‘Paper Airplanes’ [paper wraps for powder drugs] was later used for earlyversions of ‘Power Of Soul’ Jimi’s main song about breaking free from heavy drugs

Another song that appears to be about Devon is:

Stepping Stone

Woo-wee!
I sure got the blues this mornin’ baby-he-he-heh
Yeah, and I’m here to tell you about it
So you might as well pick up on it...yeah
I’m a man at least I’m tryin’ to be
But I’m looking for the other half of me
I’m looking for that true love to me
But I ain’t gonna search for nothin’ desperately
Hell, I’m tryin’, tryin’ not to be a fool
Well, I’m tryin’, tryin’, Lord, to keep my cool, baby
Tryin’ so hard to keep it together
After I find, baby, that true love of mi-ine
I’m just rollin’, screamin’, cryin’
Flyin’ can’t be trusted, got busted, babe, Rollin’ Stone* yeah
Look at you
You’re a woman at least you say you are
You’re a woman at least you look like you are
You’re a woman at least you taste like you are
But you’re makin’ off in bed with my guitar
And then you leave the real me outside
To cry, cry to the moon and the night time
You say my soul you can’t find ha-ha
All you want is a ticket to ride
oh-After you assured me that everything’d prove otherwise
You’re just rolling, screamin’, cryin’
Good lovin’ sometimes but can’t be trusted
Steppin’ sto-one, steppin’ sto-one, baby
*Obvious reference to his flying into Toronto and being busted, leading to front page cover in Rolling Stone Magazine. “Good lovin’ sometimes but can’t be trusted” - did Jimi suspect Devon of putting/leaving the heroin in his bag?<o:p></o:p>

Pali Gap
10-14-09, 10:21 AM
How very interesting I never really look into the lyrics of steppin' stone but your right.

Where are these pictures of Jimi and Devon at the house in Boiceville. It would be cool to seem them. Ive only seen a few pictures of them together back stage with billy and collette, in the street somewhere and at the begining of Berkley in the limo with stella..an airport somewhere and thats it as far as I know.

bogey_j
10-14-09, 11:31 AM
"I ain’t afraid of your bullets babe, ain’t afraid no more
After a while your cheap talk don’t even cause me pain…
So let your bullets fly like rain
Knowing all the time that you’re wrong babe…
And you’ll be going just the same 3 times the pain
And your own self to blame"

the bold is really trippy if he was actually talking about devon there, because she died a horrible death, much worse than he did. I guess besides his mother, devon was his greatest muse...a lot of songs written about her.

but another thing about Jimi's lyrics that trips me out is his fascination with death. I know tons of musicians write about death, but when I listen to songs like I don't live today, voodoo chile, and if 6 was 9 you kinda get the feeling he just knew he would never live to grow old.

'Will I live tomorrow?
Well, I just cant say
Will I live tomorrow?
Well, I just cant say
But I know for sure
I dont live today
No sun comin through my windows
Feel like Im livin at the bottom of a grave'

'Im the one thats gonna die when its time for me to die
So let me live my life the way I want to'

'If I dont meet you no more in this world then uh
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late'

I wonder if that's why he was so prolific in the studio, knowing it was just a matter of time..

stplsd
10-14-09, 01:29 PM
Where are these pictures of Jimi and Devon at the house in Boiceville. It would be cool to seem them. Ive only seen a few pictures of them together back stage with billy and collette, in the street somewhere and at the begining of Berkley in the limo with stella..an airport somewhere and thats it as far as I know.

Sorry to disappoint but I think my memory conflated the picture of Devon in Mitch's book on page 147, (labelled 'summer 1969' which implies it was taken at Boiceville and certainly looks to be a similar location as to the outdoor seating, although a different type of lounger) with that on page 114 of McDermott's 'Sessions' book, in which the girl would seem, on closer inspection, to be too 'comfortably situated' with someone else to be Devon.
The Woodstock DVD has the same picture but un-edited, revealing another "black" woman in frayed denim shorts posing with what appears to be a pump action shotgun! she may be Devon but whether either are is anyone's guess as their faces are mostly hidden. Devon may never have been there (unlikely).

stplsd
10-14-09, 04:32 PM
I wonder if that's why he was so prolific in the studio, knowing it was just a matter of time..

No one knows the date unless the doc or the executioner has given him one, or they've decided to end it. You might be aware the odds are stacked if you're a risk taker (drugs and drink), though most don't seem to consider this.

I think latterly he was only "prolific" in the amount of tape used trying to recapture/rekindle? his earlier level of creativity.
He was (more than) extremely prolific from 1 November 1966 (Stone Free) until 19 months later on 10 June 1968 (Rainy Day) between & including these dates he recorded 42 releasable, finished, original (& wonderful) songs, after that huge outpouring he (not surprisingly?) hit a wall creatively, or was it that he had overdone everything, or that he was bored and wanted a change of direction (funkier) with a new bass player, or was it the Chalpin demands, and that he didn't want to record his new tunes in case they were somehow taken from him for the Chalpin LP and "settlement" with Warners/Mo, the stress of the upcoming court case in the UK etc, plus the later prospect of going to jail for an extended period, or his increasing business & financial concerns/worries (ie Mike's shenanigans and EL studios) or all of the above plus etc etc. Whatever.
Rainy Day was the last useable (ie Jimi felt he could release it) recording of an original Hendrix song until a BOG’s session on <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:date Month="11" Day="17" Year="1969">17 November 69</st1:date> when he recorded the definative Room Full Of Mirrors which he had been working on since at least June 68), ie 1 year, 6½ months later. 10 days after this he stood trial and was found - NOT GUILTY. Whereupon he oganised the Fillmore "live" recording session to give the loathsome & disgusting Chalpin/Capitol (and their pathetic henchman Knight) their LP with as few fully (well, nearly) formed 'live' recorded songs as he could get away with, er, 3 & 1/2? (you know the one that was just a bit of jamming fun?). Well done Jimi! he gave them the big finger heh-heh, hope his "production company" - 'Heaven Research' picked up their (his) fee? heh-heh. Unfortunately the LP sold well, despite Jimi publicly putting it down. His single Izabella, from which he could have earned some cash, unfortunately flopped badly - not much of a surprise there.

It was only after the not guilty verdict that he seemed to recover a bit of momentum, but nothing anywhere near that first amazing 19 months (could anyone) and was not what you might call particularly prolific in the amount of finished songs at this later time.

manfree
10-14-09, 06:16 PM
How could it not sell well with the Wonderful Machine Gun? However, I fully understand You point of view. The "Problem" is that Jimi was incapable of making a duff album

stplsd
10-14-09, 06:33 PM
How could it not sell well with the Wonderful Machine Gun? However, I fully understand You point of view. The "Problem" is that Jimi was incapable of making a duff album

Yes exactly, but still unfortunate that it sold well, in that the scumbags got their grubby hands on the loot