PDA

View Full Version : Which Do You Prefer: Live Recordings Or Album Cuts?

bogey_j
09-28-09, 05:29 AM
I listen to both, but I think some of live recordings are another level. Something about the raw spontaneity of live shows that is far more powerful and poignant. For example: listen to this live version of 'I don't live today'. It just completely blows the album version out of the water

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4TY2q42qFU

vibratinglens
09-28-09, 10:16 AM
I agree the live show allows the listener in on the creativity of the performer, there is an intimacy, the spontaneity like you mentioned. Most of my favorite Jimi tracks are live or jam sessions where it is all about improvisation.

Crdx
09-28-09, 10:41 AM
Definitely live. Sound quality plays a role for me, though, but if we're talking about decent soundboard recordings I am likely to prefer live recordings of any band over their studio work.

dino77
09-28-09, 12:04 PM
Generally I prefer live versions. "I don't live today" is a good example, also "Spanish Castle Magic". The studio version is nice, but it sounds almost like a demo, rather tentative compared to some mind-blowing live versions (Stockholm '69, San Diego '69 etc.).
Have to say I prefer the devastating studio VC (Slight Return) to all live performances, tho the Allbert Hall version comes close. Then we have the more advanced arrangements of later songs - "Dolly Dagger" and "Room full of mirrors" definitely both worked better in the studio.

MourningStar
09-28-09, 12:34 PM
I have no preference - for me they are two completely different "Jimi" worlds. You know, like up or down, left or right, in & out, on or off, heaven & hell, etc. ....

:wave:

RobWats67
09-28-09, 12:57 PM
The live versions, man.

backfromthestorm
09-28-09, 01:36 PM
For me Jimi is far too freespirited to be confined to a studio; album recordings are all about creating a perfect sound for the masses.. i think he stayed free in the studio sense by opening up every possibility the studio has... but.. hearing Jimi unchained from fear of error and let loose is what Jimi Hendrix means to me. Machine Gun Filmore East says it all I think. Though almost any Jimi is Beautiful to my ears.. I love it all. :-)

purple jim
09-28-09, 01:52 PM
I'm not voting as I love the two.
I love beer, I love whiskey.
I love TV, I love cinema.
I love walking, I love festering at home.

Jimi_Uchihaeyez
09-28-09, 07:56 PM
Live > Studio.

Wall of Marshall's > 5-inch Speaker.

Live in the Moment Intensity > Playbacks, Overdubs.

etc. etc.

There's so many live versions of songs that blow away the studio versions so much, it's a wonder HOW he made it like he did, in the moment, no takebacks, just pure energy. You can get that in a recording studio but it's just different. Different atmosphere. And Jimi got into it with the crowd, so it's not just you in on it alone, there's other people getting they're minds blown, with you. :)

Herman Cherusken
09-29-09, 12:44 AM
Yeah, how can one prefer or live without any of the two.

When I began listening to Jimi, I had an awful difficult time listening to most Jimi's live material, with a few exceptions, as it deviated too much from his first studio albums, which is where my ride with Jimi started. The first live album was Hendrix In the West and the Johnny B Good blew me away completely and I appreciated the version of Little Wing on it, while I had a hard time for the longer Red House as it sounded nothing as the short, high tempo studio versions. Monterey did noting for me at first, with Rock Me Baby as an exception. I got a hold of a bootleg cassette with the second Jan 9 Stockholm show and was totally floored by the Spanish Castle Magic and Hey Joe, while most other live material that came my way, like Isle of Wight, left me cold and not appreciated in any shape or form.

All this was from 1972 until 1982, when Alan Douglas released The Jimi Hendrix Concerts with some of the most mind-boggling live material possible, and from then on I entered my second Jimi phase. It was as if listening with new ears, seeing things with a set of new eyes and I pestered everyone around with my rants about Jimi here and Jimi there. Luckily for me, I had a buddy who saw a potential in me as a guitar player, and he gave me the keys to his recording studio which I could use whenever there was no scheduled recordings or rehearsals going on. And used it I did, either playing and practicing with various constellations of people, or just staying in the studio on my own hours on end, cranking Jimi full blast and envisioning myself being back in time on whatever concert I played. No drugs involved, but with such high emotional intensity it was as if I dematerialized and meshed with the music becoming part of it. It's hard to put the experience into words...

In any case, it took me time to grow in to Jimi's live material. And I don't know if it had to do with my own maturing process or if it was something with his live music that was not easy to digest. Now I simply love Midnight Lightning, Machine Gun and In From the Storm from Isle of Wight, just as a large body of his other live material.

Hail Jimi, regardless if studio or live...

kees1954
09-30-09, 03:53 AM
My first real initiation into Jimi was at a record store in June of 1970 listening to Band Of Gypsys at loud volume over the speakers in a small booth at a record store in Zwolle ("De Artiest"). The intro of Who Knows totally blew me away. IMO Machine Gun is still one of the most haunting live numbers ever recorded.