PDA

View Full Version : I need to make a speech in my Communications class...

The Earth Blues
10-01-09, 09:42 AM
And it'll be about Jimi Hendrix.

My problem is, what should it be about? The teacher doesn't want this to be a biography, and it must be interesting. Obviously Jimi was one of the most interesting humans ever, but it isn't as easy as it seems.

What I had in mind was how Jimi has influenced every single type of music we know...as I think Guitar World said, "there was guitar before Jimi Hendrix, and guitar after Jimi Hendrix."

It's a five minute speech so it's kind of short, but I'm open to ANY suggestions.

Note: this is an informative speech, NOT an persuasive speech.

Thanks guys.

buffalorattle
10-01-09, 10:37 AM
That's a toughie,How about describing "The Star Spangled Banner" at Woodstock and all the elements that Jimi was able to get across in that piece ? I once heard it described as "The greatest aural painting of America", Point out the Vietnam war was taking place at the time & Jimi replicated the sound of War & peace and basically it was a message, Something along those lines, Im sure other Crosstown regulars will chip in a few ideas, Good luck Earth Blues

backfromthestorm
10-01-09, 12:53 PM
Talk about how when all he wanted to do was play his guitar, he got absolutly screwed, as did his brother, as did mitch and noel and how one women got everything to ruin and cheapen at her pleasure... sorry i`m still pissed about the gibson thing.. or..

talk about what his music means to you and why.. and how it got him down when people cried out for the old numbers when he had so much more to give them..

or.. i like this one.. instead of talking of how he`s changed music, talk about how you think the musical world would be today if jimi had never been around at all?? You can use your imagination that way..

MourningStar
10-01-09, 01:58 PM
...,How about describing "The Star Spangled Banner" at Woodstock ...Bufff!!! You beat me to it. This is my choice, the moment that made Hendrix immortal.

:bang:

thefrenchowl
10-01-09, 02:24 PM
You could just read the words from "Castles made of Sand" and talk about life being a bitch... The second verse about the young Indian is certainly both about premonition (unfullfilled dreams) and past history. Third verse, is that Jimi in the Golden Ship? He could have gone anywhere else but decided to stop on this Earth for a short while...

Everything about Jimi is in that song, makes me cry everytime I listen to it...

Patrick

The Earth Blues
10-01-09, 03:21 PM
That's a toughie,How about describing "The Star Spangled Banner" at Woodstock and all the elements that Jimi was able to get across in that piece ? I once heard it described as "The greatest aural painting of America", Point out the Vietnam war was taking place at the time & Jimi replicated the sound of War & peace and basically it was a message, Something along those lines, Im sure other Crosstown regulars will chip in a few ideas, Good luck Earth Blues
I love this...perfect idea really, and I think I could somehow try and relate it to the war going on in today to show it stands true today, just to modernize it for the "teeny boppers" I probably have in my class (and I'm a 19 year old saying this lol)...

Thanks guys. I could also do the same thing with Machine Gun, but I would personally need a half hour to talk about that song alone haha.

Talk about how when all he wanted to do was play his guitar, he got absolutly screwed, as did his brother, as did mitch and noel and how one women got everything to ruin and cheapen at her pleasure... sorry i`m still pissed about the gibson thing.. or..

talk about what his music means to you and why.. and how it got him down when people cried out for the old numbers when he had so much more to give them..

or.. i like this one.. instead of talking of how he`s changed music, talk about how you think the musical world would be today if jimi had never been around at all?? You can use your imagination that way..
Lol at the Janie Hendrix reference...thanks.

I could do that, that would be interesting, it'd be tough to do in a five minute speech though. But maybe.

You could just read the words from "Castles made of Sand" and talk about life being a bitch... The second verse about the young Indian is certainly both about premonition (unfullfilled dreams) and past history. Third verse, is that Jimi in the Golden Ship? He could have gone anywhere else but decided to stop on this Earth for a short while...

Everything about Jimi is in that song, makes me cry everytime I listen to it...

Patrick
Very cool idea...I was thinking of talking about one song. Thanks Patrick.

I do appreciate it all the help, and I'm open to anything else too.

thefrenchowl
10-01-09, 04:15 PM
The Earth Blues: Machine Gun, I would personally need a half hour to talk about that song alone haha.

LOL!!! I'd rather keep listening to it, which I do more than regularly!!! Words are too shallow to describe such a high... Its ending... I just see all the lost souls in WW1 Flanders howering aimlessly 100 years later above the poppy fields, too much...

Personnally, even with like minded friends around me, I can only discuss Jimi's words, not his music...

Patrick

Jimi_Uchihaeyez
10-01-09, 05:07 PM
Yeah, Star Spangled Banner, most of 'em probably heard it atleast once (I hope ;)) and maybe explain the effects combination and the fact that he tuned the guitar while he was playing it! Like nothin. Back to the effects setup, maybe mention that it was 1969 and people are STILL trying to get that sound now, even with all the effects we have now. Still boggles the mind.

Nonhuman
10-01-09, 07:26 PM
Way too easy to get past 5 minutes. I would grab an old vacuum tube to pass around the room and explain how amazing it was for Hendrix to get the sound he did without present day technology. I'll bet 99% of your class has never seen a tube.