PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia 1970-05-16 ATM106

johanincr
03-22-08, 04:38 AM
A Crack in the Liberty Bell (Collector's Disc / 2000 / 1CDR)
(Temple University Stadium, Philadelphia, PA 16.05.70) Aud; 1st Gen - Partially Digitally Restored (Some noise removed)
notes:
- The ATM 030 "Praying at the Temple" (http://www.crosstowntorrents.org/#praying) version of Phiadelphia 1970 has also been circulated as "A Crack in the Liberty Bell".
Live in Philadelphia (ATM 106 / 30.05.2000)
Temple University Stadium, Philadelphia, PA 16.05.70 Both Shows: Aud; 1st Gen - Partially Digitally Restored (Some noise removed)
notes:
- Philadelphia, PA 16.05.70 is an upgrade of ATM 030 "Praying at the Temple" (http://www.crosstowntorrents.org/#praying).

1970-05-16 (Saturday): Temple University Stadium, Philadelphia, Philadelphia, USA

tracks:
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Johnny B. Goode
Machine Gun
Lover Man#
Foxy Lady
Red House
Freedom#
Fire
Hear My Train A Comin' Keep On Groovin'
Purple Haze
Voodoo Child (slight return)
audio: audience recording; 57 minutes, very good quality (1-11)There also exists a short 8mm film from this show that includes a little part of the Grateful Dead's show. Its quality is so horrible however that i didnt include it.

There might be artwork for this disc. If it exists, i dont have it. If you have it, add it as an attachment to this thread or link to it some other way so we can all add it to our collections. Thanks!

Emilovious
03-22-08, 04:48 AM
Thanks for the upload Johan.

If nobody has the original artwork (does it exists at all ?) I can make one.
Please let me know (I'll make one for myself anyway).

hpjohnse
03-22-08, 06:09 AM
This disc is actually part of a 2 disc set paired with the Philadelphia 1969 recording (ATM 105-106). Here are links to the "original" artwork for that set:

http://home.online.no/~hpjohnse/ATM/105-2-backa.jpg
http://home.online.no/~hpjohnse/ATM/105-2-fronta.jpg

... and for the "A Crack in the Liberty Bell" version (1970 only), unfortunately low-res:

http://home.online.no/~hpjohnse/ATM/crack-front.jpg
http://home.online.no/~hpjohnse/ATM/crack-back.jpg

HP

johanincr
03-22-08, 06:43 AM
Super, Thanx HP!

Steev
03-22-08, 06:11 PM
Thank you SO MUCH for this. I was there, having been punished by my dad for the 1st Electric Factory & the 2nd Spectrum shows (Creep). I snuck out with my 2 closest friends for this one. I'll include some memoirs next time. But THANK YOU ! ! ! And Thank you Kees also from the bottom for the connection. I'll upload what I have (3 or 4 things-nothing you guys don't already have) next week. HAPPY EASTER - All those who partake :-]
My PS would have to be - Do copies of the Factory & Spectrum shows exist? Somebody will have to help me with uploads next week as I am totally clueless. . . . . Musicians - Go figger :-D
Thanx again. Peace - Steve

jerry1970
03-23-08, 02:49 AM
Thanks for this, also for not combining it with the other Philadelphia show!

Emilovious
03-23-08, 02:50 AM
I've tinkered a little with the original front cover (thank you Hans-Peter).
If you like it, use it, the main reason to do it was to get a slightly better resolution and at the same time preserve as much as possible of the original cover's atmosphere (idea?).

http://img156.imageshack.us/my.php?image=crackfronteditedeu8.jpg

jimijames
03-24-08, 05:44 AM
Thank you very much :)

Steev
03-24-08, 10:43 AM
I just left a HUGE thank you & a request for some tech assistance in Seed Requests which I probably should have left here. It's a tad long but maybe one of you guys could peruse it for a minute & give me a hand with down/up loading protocols. I just wanted to say THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for this & the artwork. It is HUGELY listenable, compared with some of the audience mic shows I've recently heard. I'll stop back when I have a second & type a couple minutes of memories of the show, including why I can't listen to the Dead anymore . . . . . :</
Peace - Steve

Olompali
03-24-08, 09:33 PM
Thanks...
Curous indeed by last poster who cannot listen to the GD anymore...

doobie1
03-25-08, 11:12 PM
Thanks a lot for this post and for the artworks too ;)

Herman Cherusken
10-10-08, 08:08 PM
Damn, how cool isnt it to listen to another version of Johnny B Good, than the usual but oh so excellent gem at Berkeley May 30, 1970. As far as I know, Johnny B Good wasnt exactly a frequent piece Jimi played. As a matter of fact, I know of only 3 other occations than the one played at Berkeley.

The first was when Jimi, Mitch, and Noel, had to impress the London music scene after they had come back from the short tour in France in October 1966, and they were to play on Bag O'Nails on November 25 and Chas had made sure that everyone that counted was there (Jagger, Lennon, the important music journalists, representatives of the music industry, the whole nine yard), and he pulled a Johnny B Good among a bunch of other tunes. Damn, I wish I could have been there, because that day was like a Jahre Null, a dividing line after which everything was counted in a before and an after. Jimi hit them in the gut and head with his public sax, and the world was not the same after that...

Sorry, I got carried away there a bit (which often happens when it involves Jimi), and the other two occations were in Hamburg in Jan 11, 1969, and at Temple University Stadium May 16, 1970. The Hamburg version is inaudiable, its just a blurr, while the one at Temple Stadium is in a better shape. And darn cool to listen to. But we can be damn happy that providence left us with the Berkeley version for posterity in such a good audio and video shape, as it was the best version he probably ever played...

1811thomas
04-10-09, 04:19 PM
Thanks a lot

Mark7
04-11-09, 09:55 PM
Great show...I still hope one day another source pops up to fill the gaps :-)

zerstoren037
04-12-09, 05:23 AM
Thank you muchly. I will seed this the best I can for the next 3 days.

Lestatkatt
04-12-09, 09:02 PM
Greetings:

In addition to this set, the original taper also recorded part of the Grateful Dead's set. I was able to track down 26:26 of the Grateful Dead's set and the sound quality matches the Jimi Hendrix set. The Info I got with the Dead's audio says:

Grateful Dead
Saturday, May 16, 1970
Temple University - Philadelphia, PA
Audience Recording

1. //Casey Jones
2. Mama Tried
3. Hard To Handle
4. China Cat Sunflower >
5. I Know You Rider
6. New Speedway Boogie//

tt [26:26]

notes: There is a brief (5 seconds) Frozen Logger just before China Cat Sunflower. Before New Speedway Boogie the taper(s) can be heard trying to improve things (Moving Closer, etc...) . Then during the song Sam Cutler can be heard first trying to buy the tape from the tapers, then moments later demanding that they shut down completely.

AUDMC>?>C>CD/0>EAC>WAV>SHN>CD
EAC'd and SHN'd by Noah Weiner (noahbw@attbi.com) January, 2003

A Non-tracked CD was burned direct from the cassette. Sound Forge was used for normalizing and track balancing, as well as track IDs (SBE fixed with SHNTOOL). Nothing was done to edit the tape glitches and dropouts. It seemed that the raw tape, as a historical document, worked best as is, than with "Improvements." There is occasional Over-saturation that could not be "Improved" upon either.
---------------------------------

I don't have the original SHN files anymore, just the converted WAV files. I thought it would be a good idea to post this info here.

- Michael

Roland Stone
04-13-09, 01:02 AM
Interesting! Thanks!

neerjoop
04-16-09, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the upload, Johan.

Trotzkee
04-16-09, 05:41 PM
Thanks. This is a minor upgrade for me, but appreciated nonetheless.

Roland Stone
04-16-09, 07:30 PM
Where is the photo in Zerstoren'a avatar from? It doesn't look like Monterey to me. In fact I'm not even sure its Jimi. Wasn't the Monterey burning at night? And the white vest doesn't look right to me. Could it be Randy Hansen? I know Randy plays a lot of Northern California festivals. And somehow that picture just looks kind of recent to me. But I could be wrong. Anybody know the answer?

MusicJunky
04-19-09, 08:31 PM
Johan, Thanks very much for this. 1970 was the year for me because when I listen to the level that Jimi acheived it makes me realize that if he had lived longer his ability to communicate thru his guitar would have reached a zen kind of state. By 1973 he would have been playing things that were so unrelated to anything else. But even by 1970 as we all know he had gotten to where he stands alone for all time.

tattoosue
09-19-10, 10:12 AM
i was there for the last song of jimi's.....the star spangled banner. i do not see this listed in the set list.

i was right at the stage, just under it, looking up at jimi, no one was in front of us. we had been let in at the end of the show by the guards at the outside of the stadium.

we climbed over people, most were prone- completely out, lying on the ground. we went to the very front, no one stopped us, and we heard jimi say something (what?) and start playing the star spangled banner. after the song, he said thanks, and left the stage. who has more info or pics fm that day? i would like to know, at least, what song jimi was playing as we made our way to the front of the stage. i don't remember what it was.

thanks, tattoosue

Steev
09-20-10, 10:05 AM
i was there for the last song of jimi's.....the star spangled banner. i do not see this listed in the set list.

i was right at the stage, just under it, looking up at jimi, no one was in front of us. we had been let in at the end of the show by the guards at the outside of the stadium.

we climbed over people, most were prone- completely out, lying on the ground. we went to the very front, no one stopped us, and we heard jimi say something (what?) and start playing the star spangled banner. after the song, he said thanks, and left the stage. who has more info or pics fm that day? i would like to know, at least, what song jimi was playing as we made our way to the front of the stage. i don't remember what it was.

thanks, tattoosue

tattoosue - I was there also. Nice ta meetcha' :) I left memoirs somewhere in the everything else thread [And, it will prove I'm certainly not a writer] :D I was real close to where U said U were. Wondering if we perhaps "Fell Over" each other at some point during that very l-o-n-g day :)
A day I shall NEVER EVER forget as long as I live, and perhaps a bit longer. I wish I could remember what he said B4 the SSB though. I did have 2 rolls of film for pics but they soon, after the ingestion of some fine mescaline that afternoon, [during Cactus, specifically] by my 2 beast friends, they became headbands for them 4 the rest of the day, to my deep sobbing ;) every time I saw the 'exposed' film wrapped around those 'american indians' heads . . . . . Not only was that Johnny B Good just barely under the playing quality from Berkley [the next show 4 him] but the Intro from Machine Gun almost brought me to tears, standing in that field of mud. I know U said U got in late, but why don't you find the thread & leave a memory or 3 for us? Even on the 'other side' of the gates, I'd bet U folks were enjoying yourselves greatly! I'm sure everybody would be appreciative. I certainly would! Thanx! And Welcome.
PS: There are maybe 8-10 pix right here in the photo section [I mean STUNNING] & there are more which I have not seen here yet, from private sources but I could not get them. :)
:homer1:

rocknroll
09-20-10, 04:33 PM
1970 is my favorite year altogether as far as both Hendrix and Grateful Dead recordings.

if anyone wants the Dead's opening set you can download SHNs directly from here:

http://www.archive.org/details/gd70-05-16.aud.cotsman.17027.sbeok.shnf

although it's really not a great recording
and doesn't exemplify very well that 1970 greatness that I love so much

crazy_cat
09-23-10, 11:31 AM
Thanks!!

jhendrixfanatic
09-29-10, 04:29 PM
OK, I'm in 6th grade, it's 1970 and I hear Jimi is playing, I ask my folks to drive me to the show, because even at this point, I am a "Jimi Hendrix fanatic". It's poker night and they can't do it. I never saw him. It was this show. I was at the dentist listening to Muzak and getting my teeth filled when the news came on and said Jimi died........Ugh!
Thanx for the download, I can't wait to check out the improved audio.

DIZWALTNEY
10-03-10, 02:58 AM
how old were you?
did you of your friends take any pictures?

zombywoof57
10-03-10, 08:34 PM
Thank's Johan

bluesgod417
10-13-10, 05:29 PM
thank you very much for sharing this...

edunk
11-18-10, 06:07 PM
Thank You

rocknroll
02-12-11, 07:49 PM
gonna throw this on now for steve

Radiobirdman1973
02-12-11, 08:07 PM
Where is the photo in Zerstoren'a avatar from? It doesn't look like Monterey to me. In fact I'm not even sure its Jimi. Wasn't the Monterey burning at night? And the white vest doesn't look right to me. Could it be Randy Hansen? I know Randy plays a lot of Northern California festivals. And somehow that picture just looks kind of recent to me. But I could be wrong. Anybody know the answer?

Def. not Jimi - Def. Not Randy

jhendrixfanatic
02-12-11, 08:59 PM
"gonna throw this on now for steve"

+1 great idea