PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question

vibratinglens
10-14-09, 11:49 AM
Some of you know me and know I have been around the Jimi trading world some of you do not, so my title can be misleading. I have a co worker whose daughter, 13, just discovered Jimi. I want to give her the best of the best from each year. What shows would rank you rank as number one through 1967-1970? She deserves to hear Jimi at his best and I have my opinions but I am seeking the collective wisdom form this illustrious group. Thanks so much in advance for your input.

Johnnyray:thayou219bl:

johanincr
10-14-09, 04:13 PM
Hi Johnnyray,

You're asking about shows so i assume you mean live recordings.
The 3 studio albums are a good start but for live material lets see:
67-Monterey
68-Winterland 10/68
69-Woodstock and/or BOG
70-Berkeley
Taken into account sound quality, and not much else :-)
Generally go for shows that Jimi enjoyed playing, so dont start with Atlanta and Randalls Island, for example. But there's plenty of other fine shows with good sound quality, as you know.

vibratinglens
10-14-09, 06:52 PM
Johan,
Good to hear from you. It seems we both agree on what shows not to start someone off when you are introducing them to the live Jimi experience. The 67 really was just formality, Monteray is without a doubt the show that has many different sources that are of good quality. 68 was a struggle for me there are so many shows and Winterland is a excellent suggestion, thank you. 69 and 70 are also years with excellent recordings and a wide variety. I am hoping for a show in the 70's that showcases the direction which Jimi was starting to explore and of course the Fillmore shows immediately come to mind but I will give the Berkely show another listen. It has been a while. :thayou219bl: To all others your suggestions are still welcome. Remember this is a new fan and a friend any chance to cultivate a new Jimi fan is a blessing.
Cheers.

stplsd
10-14-09, 08:25 PM
As an alternative I would suggest the 67 Paris show with the addition of Foxy and some chat from the "collectors" tape and a "toned down" addition of Mary & Catfish from the 4 disc set, a more exiting show musically etc. than Monterey? & a pretty good sound as well, although mono. (a complete travesty that EH haven't released this complete in best quality, when it would be easily his best recorded show from 67 (well there are only two listenable) obviously they don't want to take anything away from their 'holy grail' of Monterey, eh?)

Ah, but which show fom Winterland 68? maybe the "Black" Douglas can be useful?

Woodstock is another atypical "one off" and has not much to recommend it apart from SSB and the sublime and unequalled "Villanova" which are both stunning.

I'm sure San Diego/LA/or Albert Hall would be more representative and consistently entertaining.

69/70 Fillmore appears to me to have been an interesting "one" off and not a "typical" representation of his style. Maybe the foundation of his later funkier style, but still quite removed.
Berkeley to me is the one that has the best preserved/performed examples of where he was going

A selection of the best tunes might be better, a souped up 'Hendrix in the West'/'Concerts' idea

Like wot we only got in the 70's?

MourningStar
10-14-09, 08:48 PM
Hi Johnnyray,

You're asking about shows so i assume you mean live recordings.
The 3 studio albums are a good start but for live material lets see:
67-Monterey
68-Winterland 10/68
69-Woodstock and/or BOG
70-BerkeleyGreat suggestions Johan with the added benefit of being available (minus Winterland?) on video. Hmmmm, ... which now has me wondering, no 1968 concerts on video out there? Just bits & pieces? EH/collectors holding anything back?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/XiKano/AVATAR/peace5.gif

The Earth Blues
10-15-09, 07:36 AM
Berkeley...and make sure you turn her towards the video of Jimi's second Berkeley show, playing Voodoo Child (Slight Return) on his knees in front of those two lucky girls in the front row...lol.

Good luck turning her on to Jimi!!!

vibratinglens
10-15-09, 11:33 AM
Thank you all for your suggestions. She is already tuned in and turned on by Jimi's albums but this is a representation of Jimi live which is where his talents really shine. The 67 Paris show was on my list as well, love that performance. It is so difficult to point to one show as being the best of each year. Some years it seems were better than others.

vibratinglens
10-15-09, 11:42 AM
To throw out another suggestion, because I love to hear the genius at work and discover how the the music evolves, I believe Morning Symphony Ideas is the jam style, which of the studio jam recordings offer the best insight to the final product? Very curious here because I have a few in mind but never really explored this side. Thanks again, you guys are doing great.:bartmoon:
HA!

vibratinglens
10-15-09, 12:07 PM
As an alternative I would suggest the 67 Paris show with the addition of Foxy and some chat from the "collectors" tape and a "toned down" addition of Mary & Catfish from the 4 disc set, a more exiting show musically etc. than Monterey? & a pretty good sound as well, although mono. (a complete travesty that EH haven't released this complete in best quality, when it would be easily his best recorded show from 67 (well there are only two listenable) obviously they don't want to take anything away from their 'holy grail' of Monterey, eh?)

Would you elaborate on the "collectors", I always thought the Paris show was really a energetic performance a "HERE THE FU** I AM PEOPLE! DIG!" I have a one recording of this and it was my first B&P. Wow amnesia lane.

Ah, but which show fom Winterland 68? maybe the "Black" Douglas can be useful?

Some many copies of these shows very in content, quality, "Black" Douglas? More info please?

Woodstock is another atypical "one off" and has not much to recommend it apart from SSB and the sublime and unequalled "Villanova" which are both stunning.

Come on Star Spangled Banner?

I'm sure San Diego/LA/or Albert Hall would be more representative and consistently entertaining.

I'll give San a listen again, AH is another good suggestion but it falls under that whole, "which recording is the best" category. LA, hmm had not really given that much thought so that means I am going to do a lot of listening to Jimi and enjoying :rasta: you know some funky good times.

69/70 Fillmore appears to me to have been an interesting "one" off and not a "typical" representation of his style. Maybe the foundation of his later funkier style, but still quite removed.
Berkeley to me is the one that has the best preserved/performed examples of where he was going

Listening to Berkeley as I respond and so far it is awesome. The Fillmore shows were ground breaking but, sorry, over played a little. Still remains as one of the only shows I have all copies and still love to listen to it and how ground breaking those four shows were especially the 69 late show with Auld Lang Syne. Just a great show but again it's is a typical suggestion, easy if you will.

A selection of the best tunes might be better, a souped up 'Hendrix in the West'/'Concerts' idea

Thanks for this idea reflects my last entry.

Like wot we only got in the 70's?

My comments are in red, stplsd please give a read. Many thanks.

stplsd
10-16-09, 05:25 AM
My comments are in red, stplsd please give a read. Many thanks.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">

Would you elaborate on the "collectors", lane.

There is a collectors tape which has been doing the rounds for years and has been bootlegged it has Foxy Lady not available on the official releases, and a bit of extra chat too.

"Black" Douglas? More info please?

A Douglas produced two CD's worth of material from the winterland unofficially released as 'Winterland Nights,' I think, which your daughter may find more accessible than the boots etc.

Come on Star Spangled Banner?

I mentioned that one, see 'SSB'?

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>My comments are in red, stplsd please give a read. Many thanks. <!-- / message -->

yelapavision
10-17-09, 03:10 AM
Good starter stuff:

Monterey
Paris
TV compilation (Beat Beat Beat, Lulu, wild stuff!)
Winterland on Ryko (single disc, good for beginners)
Stockholm 1-9-69 2nd show
Berkeley both shows!

cleanuponaisle76
10-17-09, 12:12 PM
Blackpool 67

vibratinglens
10-20-09, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the responses folks. Blackpool? Hmm, interesting.