PDA

View Full Version : What does she have??

backfromthestorm
10-19-09, 05:41 PM
Hi..

This is probably all guesswork, though I believe that by meterphorically `counting the cards`, one might be able to give a calculated answer to my question... -

What does Janie have in the mystery EH Vault???

What possibly could be left?

What was known to be recorded/filmed and not surfaced?

I`ve heard about the `RAH reality TV show` thing but then I heard it was a whole lotta lies.. anyone have any info?

Thanks nice beings of CTT!

Crdx
10-20-09, 07:26 AM
The Miami Pop Festival in 1968 seems to have had Hendrix's set filmed. I've been wanting to open a thread regarding this for a while, but might as well ask it here: does anyone know more about this footage?

My guess is, anyway, that EH has that footage.

buffalorattle
10-20-09, 08:55 AM
Crdx I believe ABC TV have footage from Miami Pop, Didn't they show some of it when they announced Jimi's death on air 1970 ? I think it is detailed on the Rockprophesy ? site, I have certainly seen some of it, Both onstage & backstage although it was b/w and a little 'grainy'

karsten
10-20-09, 10:50 AM
The Miami footage seems to have been lost from ABC's archieves some time between september 18 1970 and 1972..

purple jim
10-20-09, 02:00 PM
What does Janie have in the mystery EH Vault??? What possibly could be left? What was known to be recorded/filmed and not surfaced?

Experience Hendrix will be serving up some goodies from next year onwards as they have signed a new deal with Sony. Thiere will be a new studio collection early in the year followed by the Royal Albert Hall double CD and DVD, a new Dagger release (which is a mystery for now) and the Janie has mentioned the Band Of Gypsys sets at the Fillmore East (one one or many releases).
There will be the Legacy re-releases of Jimi's own three albums with some surprises.
Apart from all that, John McDermott mentioned various outtakes and jams in his recent book which will obviously appear one day.
The Albert Hall concerts were filmed by Gold & Goldstein. The bootleg DVD
(taken from their original 1971 film "Experience") reveals the second show of Feb. 24. We know that they also filmed the show of Feb. 18 - will it be featured as a bonus ? Will it come out later ?
They also filmed other dates on the brief European tour (before the Albert Hall) though it is unclear if they filmed complete shows or if the concerts were recorded adequately for cimema and now DVD release.
Keith Shadwick says in his book that G&G also filmed the Philharmonic Hall, NY show at the end of 1968 (their first assignement).

Apart from that:
• Maui - complete recordings but poorly recorded. Mitch had to retouch the drums for the few numbers that made it to the cimema screens.
• Randall Island ?
• Newport ?

I`ve heard about the `RAH reality TV show` thing but then I heard it was a whole lotta lies.. anyone have any info?
It's not lies, you can see some of that stuff in the Albert Hall bootleg footage. It is mighty boring, so let's hope that there is not too much of it. Janie has enthused about this footage on a couple of occasions, let's hope that there will be more concert footage also.

vibratinglens
10-20-09, 02:29 PM
Janie has mentioned the Band Of Gypsys sets at the Fillmore East (one one or many releases).

Really? You mean there are recordings of the Fillmore East Show??

There will be the Legacy re-releases of Jimi's own three albums with some surprises.

Surprises? Come on. Everyone throws out some kind of this, everyone.

Apart from all that, John McDermott mentioned various outtakes and jams in his recent book which will obviously appear one day.

Now That is what I am talking about, studio jams and some outtakes.

The Albert Hall concerts were filmed by Gold & Goldstein. The bootleg DVD
(taken from their original 1971 film "Experience") reveals the second show of Feb. 24. We know that they also filmed the show of Feb. 18 - will it be featured as a bonus ? Will it come out later ?
They also filmed other dates on the brief European tour (before the Albert Hall) though it is unclear if they filmed complete shows or if the concerts were recorded adequately for cimema and now DVD release.
Keith Shadwick sais in his book that G&G also filmed the Philharmonic Hall, NY show at the end of 1968 (their first assignement).

Apart from that:
• Maui - complete recordings but poorly recorded. Mitch had to retouch the drums for the few numbers that made it to the cimema screens.
• Randall Island ?
• Newport ?

I personally would like to hear something I have never heard before most of this seems oh hmm material. Come on someone out there somewhere has that tape, that recording no one has heard before. Please?

purple jim
10-20-09, 02:52 PM
Even if we already have all of the BOG Fillmore East concerts on Box Of Gypsys, it is not professionally masterd by any means and some of it is audience. The whole thing with top sound would be "interesting" even if the band didn't totally have their shit together.
Janie just rushed Woburn to us and that was previously unheard of. As far as other unheard" concerts are concerned, I don't know of anything. Anybody ?

Chris M
10-21-09, 12:37 AM
If you want to know what they have read Ultimate Hendrix. Any entry that has stuff like "18 takes were recorded, take 15 was marked best but they pressed on and take 18 yeilded the backing track, overdubs were added that included yada yada yada..."

Regarding interesting unbooted studio material they have..

- approx 64 reels of 4 track session tapes from Olympic Studios (where much of AYE and all of Axis was recorded). Most of this is unbooted. Most interesting IMO are the instro backing tracks to 2 unreleased and unbooted Axis era songs. Lots of unre takes of Castles Made Of Sand, Bold as Love, another version of Little Wing, a unbooted version of SSD from the Axis sessions.

- lots of unreleased material from the EL sessions at the Record Plant. 2 unre versions of Tax Free (released version is from 1/68 Olympic), tons of alt mixes, some unheard jams, a few unheard solo demos recorded at the Record Plant.

- more from 10/68 TTG

- more from 2/69 Record Plant including a JHE run through of Valleys of Neptune, studio versions of Hound Dog, 23 minute JHE jam said to be excellent, Go My Own Way demos and JHE version (unre Jimi song), JHE song with horn section and Chris Wood, more Ezy Ryder takes, versions of "Slow Thing" from the day after the Dagger version.

- 3/70 Stills session

- 4/69 Olmstead sessions inc several JHE versions of Hear My Train and a JHE run through of Ships Passing In The Night. All unbooted.

- 8-9/69 Hit Factory, complete untampered studio versions of Jam Back At The House, finished studio version of Mastermind, Woodstock band version of Burning Desire, Jimi solo demos of Burning Desire (Jimi on all instruments). All unbooted.

- 10/69 BOG session(s) at Juggy Sound. BOG versions of Nightbird Flying!

- 11/69 Buddy and Jimi versions of Look Over Yonder and the unreleased song Lonley Avenue (unbooted, boots use the title "Lonley Ave" for all sorts of things).

- 11-12/69 - BOG studio versions of Lover Man, Changes, Hear My Train

- 2/70 - Jimi and Buddy version of Hey Baby. Early COL versions of Bolero

First Rays sessions - several unbooted versions of Hey Baby recorded throughout the sessions, Messing Around and All God's Children (both unre Jimi songs), some amazing alt takes of Freedom, that 26 min medley, First Rays run through of Hear My Train

Chris M
10-21-09, 12:38 AM
The Miami Pop Festival in 1968 seems to have had Hendrix's set filmed. I've been wanting to open a thread regarding this for a while, but might as well ask it here: does anyone know more about this footage?

My guess is, anyway, that EH has that footage.

EH 100% has the Miami Pop footage and pro recording. No doubt about it.

Chris M
10-21-09, 12:43 AM
It's not lies, you can see some of that stuff in the Albert Hall bootleg footage. It is mighty boring, so let's hope that there is not too much of it. Janie has enthused about this footage on a couple of occasions, let's hope that there will be more concert footage also.

You've seen the 15 hours + of RAH material?

I don't know how much of Vienna, Strasbourg and Berlin were filmed but considering they went to the expense to hire a pro film crew it is safe to say a significant amount was filmed. I think the audio is from 2 track Nagra tapes. 2/18/69 is multitracked and pro shot. 2/24 soundcheck was also filmed and as was a jam at the Speakeasy. If we put the film aside we at least would have major sonic upgrades of several 1/69 shows. That's fucking huge IMO.

purple jim
10-21-09, 01:24 AM
Nice one Chris. Thanks for all the details.

manfree
10-21-09, 03:28 AM
Now, if only Janie would read it......................

johanincr
10-21-09, 10:02 AM
If she did, possibly (no, make that 'hopefully') she'd realise it's about time to release 'whatever is suitable for release' of those mythical 'Black Gold' tapes - as you can see in this thread, its already pretty much a 'forgotten' item/bunch of tapes.
This is an item they HAVE - no legal complications, whatever.......
Its an item that would rank as high in our 'collective anticipation' as RAH video, IMHO.

Whether the BG tapes and RAH Film is as nice/mindblowing as we anticipated remains to be seen/heard, e.g. Woburn....

ilovejimi
10-21-09, 11:52 AM
Janie is planning on releasing a Hendrix album entitled "Duets" featuring Janie overdubed singing with Jimi. It will be just like when Natale Cole teamed up with Nat King Cole whom died decades ago (song called Unforgivable). Now we get to hear Purple haze and Foxy Lady just the way Janie wants them to sound. I CANT WAIT.:superg9lp:

vibratinglens
10-21-09, 12:35 PM
Janie is planning on releasing a Hendrix album entitled "Duets" featuring Janie overdubed singing with Jimi. It will be just like when Natale Cole teamed up with Nat King Cole whom died decades ago (song called Unforgivable). Now we get to hear Purple haze and Foxy Lady just the way Janie wants them to sound. I CANT WAIT.:superg9lp:

:thban1::thban1::thban1::thban1::thban1: if she does you will be the one I will blame from now til 2012 because that is when the Myans say it is all over.

vibratinglens
10-21-09, 12:38 PM
Dear Chris M.,

Please be right? Please? Axis is my favorite album The Experience ever released, let the jokes begin, but I honestly believe it is a wonderful, inspiring, soulful album. If there are more tapes out there BRING THEM ON! I love hearing the process of musical invention and hearing every take would bring me joy beyond words.

Sincerely,

Johnny

backfromthestorm
10-21-09, 12:51 PM
Janie is planning on releasing a Hendrix album entitled "Duets" featuring Janie overdubed singing with Jimi. It will be just like when Natale Cole teamed up with Nat King Cole whom died decades ago (song called Unforgivable). Now we get to hear Purple haze and Foxy Lady just the way Janie wants them to sound. I CANT WAIT

Oh God no... please no... I hope thats a joke... aaaaggghhhhh! :thban1::thban1::thban1::thban1:

Herman Cherusken
10-21-09, 01:11 PM

Lmao, it has to be a joke, tell us you're pulling a joke on us, right?

purple jim
10-21-09, 02:13 PM
:scarface7mn: The Janie Hendrix Experience !

vibratinglens
10-21-09, 02:16 PM
That was the greatest album concept to bring up here because there are a few that would totally believe she would do something like that. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! OH you guys are great.

vibratinglens
10-21-09, 02:32 PM
http://i433.photobucket.com/albums/qq53/dtgunslinger/2003965845copy.jpg

The album art was just emailed to me by Janie herself, AHHHHHHHH!!!!

Jimi_Uchihaeyez
10-21-09, 03:37 PM
Janie is planning on releasing a Hendrix album entitled "Duets" featuring Janie overdubed singing with Jimi. It will be just like when Natale Cole teamed up with Nat King Cole whom died decades ago (song called Unforgivable). Now we get to hear Purple haze and Foxy Lady just the way Janie wants them to sound. I CANT WAIT.:superg9lp:Give my arm to hear it. Probably better then that stuff on "Axis" or "Electric Ladyland" :rolleyes:

univibs
10-21-09, 05:13 PM
If you want to know what they have read Ultimate Hendrix. Any entry that has stuff like "18 takes were recorded, take 15 was marked best but they pressed on and take 18 yeilded the backing track, overdubs were added that included yada yada yada..."

Regarding interesting unbooted studio material they have..

- approx 64 reels of 4 track session tapes from Olympic Studios (where much of AYE and all of Axis was recorded). Most of this is unbooted. Most interesting IMO are the instro backing tracks to 2 unreleased and unbooted Axis era songs. Lots of unre takes of Castles Made Of Sand, Bold as Love, another version of Little Wing, a unbooted version of SSD from the Axis sessions.

- lots of unreleased material from the EL sessions at the Record Plant. 2 unre versions of Tax Free (released version is from 1/68 Olympic), tons of alt mixes, some unheard jams, a few unheard solo demos recorded at the Record Plant.

- more from 10/68 TTG

- more from 2/69 Record Plant including a JHE run through of Valleys of Neptune, studio versions of Hound Dog, 23 minute JHE jam said to be excellent, Go My Own Way demos and JHE version (unre Jimi song), JHE song with horn section and Chris Wood, more Ezy Ryder takes, versions of "Slow Thing" from the day after the Dagger version.

- 3/70 Stills session

- 4/69 Olmstead sessions inc several JHE versions of Hear My Train and a JHE run through of Ships Passing In The Night. All unbooted.

- 8-9/69 Hit Factory, complete untampered studio versions of Jam Back At The House, finished studio version of Mastermind, Woodstock band version of Burning Desire, Jimi solo demos of Burning Desire (Jimi on all instruments). All unbooted.

- 10/69 BOG session(s) at Juggy Sound. BOG versions of Nightbird Flying!

- 11/69 Buddy and Jimi versions of Look Over Yonder and the unreleased song Lonley Avenue (unbooted, boots use the title "Lonley Ave" for all sorts of things).

- 11-12/69 - BOG studio versions of Lover Man, Changes, Hear My Train

- 2/70 - Jimi and Buddy version of Hey Baby. Early COL versions of Bolero

First Rays sessions - several unbooted versions of Hey Baby recorded throughout the sessions, Messing Around and All God's Children (both unre Jimi songs), some amazing alt takes of Freedom, that 26 min medley, First Rays run through of Hear My Train

hi Chris and thanks for the info, do you have any info about the ABC TV footage from the VC session and the rest of this footage?

ilovejimi
10-21-09, 06:19 PM
Lmao, it has to be a joke, tell us you're pulling a joke on us, right?
yes yes I was kidding around :wave:

ilovejimi
10-21-09, 06:20 PM
http://i433.photobucket.com/albums/qq53/dtgunslinger/2003965845copy.jpg

The album art was just emailed to me by Janie herself, AHHHHHHHH!!!!

lmao-- job well done :)

vibratinglens
10-21-09, 07:01 PM
lmao-- job well done :)

Thank you although recent update, the new title is Across The Universe: Janie and Jimi Twogether.

Voodoo Kush
10-21-09, 10:17 PM
Hearing Juma read the Black Gold lyrics, and knowing that hendrix songwriting was pretty strong by march 1970, i know that it would surpass expectations, being so similar to the "scorpio woman" tape.
There's also the Berlin 1970 inteview (unlikely or never), The Dusty Springfield show? (06-05-68) and actually, janie has hinted on at least 2 other Shows on film or something? Atlanta 1970, a "authentic" ranbow bridge release perhaps? I have a pile of soiled underwear from all the 1969 footage (haha)

Everything Chris mentioned gets me really excited but i have a feeling these will take longer to comeout. Hopefully the Sony deal will speed up the process!

Makkinen
10-22-09, 01:47 AM
I know some of you will think about this as bull... but there are MANY recordings in limited circulation among collectors TODAY (!) that general traders population had never heard (off). Unfortunately people sit on them. Why, it's hard to say. There's a harsh rule in these circles - you can get non-circulated stuff only for other non-circulated material or cash. So, one day, we'll hear them ... or maybe not - when all these old guys die I doubt their grandchildren (if they have them) will rush to upload some of grandpa's dusty tapes for us ... They'll probably throw them as garbage (which most of it actually is).
Oh yes, there's another way. You may start emailing to some of them on a daily basis, tell them how nice, smart and beautiful they are and maybe someday they will drop you a few bobs with a large label "not for share" ....
P.S. Many people were crying for months (years?) about Woburn tape. Why it hasn't been released?! Why not this, why not that...
I don't hear them now saying: "Oh, I have a Woburn tape every day on my CD.
Oh how beautiful it sounds. Oh how Jimi plays great!"
Silence! Complete silence.
And we all know why.
It SUCKS!
I'd give to some of you an advice.
Put Electric Ladyland more often on your players. Or AYE or Axis.
That's what Jimi aproved. Those are his crown achievements!
He would also prefer it.
New tapes? Great if they come. All the same if they not!
Regards...

purple jim
10-22-09, 01:49 AM
If she did, possibly (no, make that 'hopefully') she'd realise it's about time to release 'whatever is suitable for release' of those mythical 'Black Gold' tapes - as you can see in this thread, its already pretty much a 'forgotten' item/bunch of tapes.
This is an item they HAVE - no legal complications, whatever.......
Its an item that would rank as high in our 'collective anticipation' as RAH video, IMHO.

Yes, they are sitting on that mystery tape. According to Janie, they were planning a new Dagger for this year, just before the Sony deal kicked in. She went on to say that it will be out early next year. "Black Gold" ? We can only hope.

Voodoo Kush
10-22-09, 03:07 AM
I completley forgot! Jimi was working and producing with "The Ghetto Fighters" and Eddie Kramer in 1970 too. I know they have at least 1 song... "mojo man". I think it was nowhere near complete but there was some buzz about a release awhile back from their label. It would likely sound something like Dorriella Du Fontaine. Oh and i love the woburn performance, but the tape sounds like shit in my car! it's more like the Noel Redding Experience (no thanks haha)

dino77
10-22-09, 05:41 AM
I completley forgot! Jimi was working and producing with "The Ghetto Fighters" and Eddie Kramer in 1970 too. I know they have at least 1 song... "mojo man".

"Mojo Man" we have as an incomplete clip (from the Univibes site - or was it Jimpress?).

I have to agree with Makkinen about the Woburn tape. It's hardly a stellar performance (outside of Red House and Tax Free), and the quality sucks.
But we collectors go crazy about stuff we can't get our hands on :).
Black Gold would surely be interesting to hear, but the tapes are apparently rather primitive home recordings, not some finished masterpiece.
"Sounds like crap in the car", will be one comment after a short period of general collector euphoria after its release, perhaps. ;)

RobWats67
10-22-09, 06:20 AM
A "duets" CD would suck. Janie can not sing. Ugh! :(

carlygtr56
10-22-09, 06:26 AM
Where's the BOG MSG footage?

vibratinglens
10-22-09, 10:00 AM
I know some of you will think about this as bull... but there are MANY recordings in limited circulation among collectors TODAY (!) that general traders population had never heard (off). Unfortunately people sit on them. Why, it's hard to say. There's a harsh rule in these circles - you can get non-circulated stuff only for other non-circulated material or cash. So, one day, we'll hear them ... or maybe not - when all these old guys die I doubt their grandchildren (if they have them) will rush to upload some of grandpa's dusty tapes for us ... They'll probably throw them as garbage (which most of it actually is).
Oh yes, there's another way. You may start emailing to some of them on a daily basis, tell them how nice, smart and beautiful they are and maybe someday they will drop you a few bobs with a large label "not for share" ....
P.S. Many people were crying for months (years?) about Woburn tape. Why it hasn't been released?! Why not this, why not that...
And we all know why.
It SUCKS!
He would also prefer it.
Regards...

Righee? (NY accent) Of course we all know that the only three approved Jimi albums are what his vision best displays but it's the studio not so much the live material that fills me up. I want to hear how the song initially formed, the growing pains it went through.

Now to the hoarding Dragons sitting in their prizes, share. Ok fine, please? Like you said most of the grandchildren or children do not appreciate what gems are there and the tapes would and will be lost forever. Don't let that happen. As for money well, make a deal finally. Love you and your tapes, hope you win. Mwah.

I am not going to kiss any butt here, share, don't share, it's your right.

vibratinglens
10-22-09, 10:06 AM
A "duets" CD would suck. Janie can not sing. Ugh! :(
Have you heard the worst part? The album is a tribute to Neil Diamond songs. How the hell Janie has tapes of Jimi singing Sweet Caroline is beyond me.:bang:

Doron
10-22-09, 12:50 PM
I'd believe that. If they sell Hendrix's wine, then anything is possible. Kurt Cobain's signature guns. Brian jones's style pools. Mama Cass sandwiches...

vibratinglens
10-22-09, 01:02 PM
. Mama Cass sandwiches...

Throat blocking lozenges brought to you by the maker of Halls.

karsten
10-22-09, 03:25 PM

<code class="html"><code class="html"></code>Michael Fairchild's exelent article on Miami:

http://www.rockprophecy.com/abcmiami.html

</code>

MourningStar
10-22-09, 03:35 PM
...That's what Jimi aproved. Those are his crown achievements! He would also prefer it.
...Pehaps, what with 'AYE' & 'Axis'-era tunes ending up on 'ELL'!

As for the exploitation products, one must remember that the marketing strategy behind this is to target NON-Hendrix consumers. These people typically are attracted to these products because they know of so-and-so is a Hendrix fanatic and wouldn't it be cool to get them such-and-such for their next birthday or Christmas. How else would I wind up with Hendrix pajamas or salt-pepper shakers???!!!?!?? (rag on Janie & co. all we want but, EH is a business venture and is therefore not limiting their target markets to only us - suck it up peoples, it ain't gonna change)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/XiKano/AVATAR/peace5.gif

ilovejimi
10-22-09, 03:47 PM
Couple of other things about Miami Pop: (taken from Just Ask The Axis website) :wave:

Apparently filmed in whole or part by ABC-TV, some footage was used for the Jimi obit 9/70 but all film went missing soon after.
The late Linda Eastman (McCartney) travelled with the band and photographed them on and off stage in Miami (also streaked blonde into Jimi's hair!)
Much of the fest was rained out, and Eddie Kramer, on scene supposedly to engineer the multitrack recording, tells the story of Jimi writing "Rainy Day, Dream Away..." in his notebook during a car ride in the rain.
Miami Pop was co-produced by Michael Lang, who would go on to have a part in the Woodstock fest the following year. He tells an amusing, but probably untrue, story of Jimi renting a helicopter to get to the Miami show, and making his entrance onstage directly down a ladder from the chopper! Then again, Jimi *was* a Screaming Eagle in the 101st Airborne...
Apparently all the performers from the fest stayed at one hotel, The Castaway, and many jammed in the hotel bar, including Jimi, John Lee Hooker, Frank Zappa, and others. Now where is THIS tape ?!?

manfree
10-22-09, 03:48 PM
Excuse me, but isn`t this whole "duets" thing a Piss-take, or am I missing something?

ilovejimi
10-22-09, 03:49 PM
BTW anyone know if the Second Jimi show (night) at Miami was filmed or if an audio recording exist or even what songs were preformed?

backfromthestorm
10-22-09, 04:26 PM
<CODE class=html><CODE class=html></CODE>Michael Fairchild's exelent article on Miami:

</CODE>

Jeez man, them dudes over there are paranoid.... though i saw a pic of Jimi with Monica I`ve not seen before... odd that Jimi looks sad and depressed in every pic with Monica I`ve ever seen.

Anyhow... I guess time will tell with the Miami thing... looks like an awesome gig though, and nothing like what i`ve seen before... never seen the JHE at a festival..

vibratinglens
10-22-09, 04:33 PM
Apparently all the performers from the fest stayed at one hotel, The Castaway, and many jammed in the hotel bar, including Jimi, John Lee Hooker, Frank Zappa, and others. Now where is THIS tape ?!?

Where is this tape? Come on FZ and JLH and JH? That is righteous.

vibratinglens
10-22-09, 04:36 PM
Jeez man, them dudes over there are paranoid....

I used to live in RockProphets home town and spoke with him, yes a bit left of right and right of left. Still behind the spinning wheel is one hell of a story I an sure of it.

ilovejimi
10-22-09, 04:51 PM
{Website (News) says jimi once dropped round to see Frank Zappa at his house and the two jammed together with a tape deck rolling. The Zappa family owns the tape and have expressed an interest in releasing it.} Maybe this tape has already been sold to Janie http://pagesperso-orange.fr/hendrix.guide/hendrix2.htm F:wave:rk Zappa
Jimi once dropped round to see Frank at his house and the two jammed together with a tape deck rolling. The Zappa family own the tape and have expressed interest in releasing
Frank Zappa
Jimi once dropped round to see Frank at his house and the two jammed together with a tape deck rolling. The Zappa family own the tape and have expressed interest in releasing it.
Frank Zappa
Jimi once dropped round to see Frank at his house and the two jammed together with a tape deck rolling. The Zappa family own the tape and have expressed interest in releasing it.

Chris M
10-22-09, 07:39 PM
<CODE class=html><CODE class=html></CODE>Michael Fairchild's exelent article on Miami:

</CODE>

The ABC Special is thought to be lost/stolen/erased but the raw 16MM color pro shot footage exists. People have seen it.

purplehazechild
10-22-09, 08:37 PM
was the concert in L.A forum 1970 professional recorderd or filmed?

cleanuponaisle76
10-22-09, 09:04 PM
was the concert in L.A forum 1970 professional recorderd or filmed?

apparently, Jimi was being projected onto a giant screen near the stage for the folks far in the stands. this would be the holy grail of video footage if it's around.

Chris M
10-22-09, 10:33 PM
apparently, Jimi was being projected onto a giant screen near the stage for the folks far in the stands. this would be the holy grail of video footage if it's around.

Some b&w video exists, IIRC 15 mins or so. Not pro shot but said to be very good.

The feed from the big screens might not have been preserved. Either that or the tape was lost/stolen. The video master for the '75 Houston Summit Who show was kept on a shelf in some local news affiliate for years so who knows..

karsten
10-23-09, 05:36 AM

Could you even do that in 1970? (unless you were NASA or something)

Crdx
10-23-09, 06:41 AM
Thank you for all the information on the Miami film :)

MourningStar
10-23-09, 05:30 PM
Could you even do that in 1970? (unless you were NASA or something)Oh, ... closed-circuit technology was used as early as 1942 by the Nazis at Peenemünde.

vibratinglens
10-23-09, 05:44 PM
Oh, ... closed-circuit technology was used as early as 1942 by the Nazis at Peenemünde.

I was thinking the same thing about closed circuit TV. The chances of the tape still being around, slim if none. Probabally deemed as nothing inportant enough to keep. Sad.

MourningStar
10-23-09, 08:33 PM
I was thinking the same thing about closed circuit TV. The chances of the tape still being around, slim if none. Probabally deemed as nothing inportant enough to keep. Sad.While on the subject of LA Forum, what about the 69 film? I've seen bits & pieces on that U-Tube thing.

Lord Summerisle
10-25-09, 07:24 AM
And we all know why.
It SUCKS!
He would also prefer it.
Regards...

I'm sure most of the people who frequent this board know that there are tapes out there that are in limited circulation. Infact, there's probably people on here who have hoarded material. If you know where to look, who to ask and have anything of value you can get hoarded material.

As for what EH has, there are things which have been mentioned in this thread that we know they have, I think it's safe to say there's alot we don't know about.

I am excited about 2010, the Sony deal will mean Janie will have to put stuff out she's been holding (it doesn't take a genius to figure out why she's not released stuff in the past) and the Legacy series will be great. The multi's from BOG are something I am very happy about aswell.

All in all I do believe we will finally get some nice releases next year.

manfree
10-25-09, 08:00 AM
I`m Kinda interested what paticular Carrot was at the end of Sony`s stick? Money? Surely Not, EH short of Cash? I doubt it, What has changed? Janie could have released stuff before but didn`t. So what difference will this new agreement make to her way of thinking. Sony will obviously want a return on their investment- Good for Us- So I`m back to my original question WHY?

backfromthestorm
10-25-09, 08:39 AM
I`m Kinda interested what paticular Carrot was at the end of Sony`s stick? Money? Surely Not, EH short of Cash? I doubt it, What has changed? Janie could have released stuff before but didn`t. So what difference will this new agreement make to her way of thinking. Sony will obviously want a return on their investment- Good for Us- So I`m back to my original question WHY?

EH has the goods, SONY has the Marketing skills..?

Could do next year what The Beatles did this year.. i.e lots and lots of PR, marketing, re-releases, computer games etc. The Beatles Remastered set coincided with their video game, (for extra publicity I imagine). There isnt a Hendrix Guitar Heroes yet is there, so it could all come out next year in the same sorta way?.. Who knows..

I`m well happy with this thread though....

Thanks everyone!!

Jimi_Uchihaeyez
10-25-09, 09:12 AM
It all goes back to what MS said. EH is a business, and what ever they do, it's tailored to get people who know nothing of Hendrix, or are curious, into Jimi. Of course they will put on Monterey and ELL as they're big promotion, most casual Hendrix fans wouldn't know or go out they're way to buy some rouge live show, so they have 40 sets of AYE, Axis, and ELL for them to choose from. In the end we have Dagger, so let's pray for release from that.

manfree
10-25-09, 11:16 AM
EH has the goods, SONY has the Marketing skills.. Probably do next year what The Beatles did this year... Lots and Lots of PR, marketing, Computer Games, (Sony make the Playstation!), Re-releases etc, (the Beatles Remastered set coincided with their Video game). There isnt a Hendrix Guitar Heroes yet is there?

Just a theory... Makes sense why they`ve held off.
Very valid point - It makes Sense, It`s gotta be good for us, But as to your point about Guitar heroes, isn`t that where the BOTML Etc. Master Tapes were supposed to have come from? PS Love the Tor, I`m in the NE. Got sick of LDN.

backfromthestorm
10-25-09, 11:38 AM
Very valid point - It makes Sense, It`s gotta be good for us, But as to your point about Guitar heroes, isn`t that where the BOTML Etc. Master Tapes were supposed to have come from? PS Love the Tor, I`m in the NE. Got sick of LDN.

I dunno!..

Yeah right, I keep meanin to go up the Tor, ent lived ere too long, but it looks nice.. Hippies love it i hear... and this is the land of Hippies is Glastonbury!

manfree
10-25-09, 11:54 AM
OOH Have You got a lot to look forward to, last time I was there maybe 6 yrs ago, late at night , stumbled up to the Tor,in pitch dark, found a Guy playing Didgeridoo, many Freaks lighting candles some of the Best Weed I`d ever smoked and The Vibe.... Really, Really Special Place, stayed up there til Sunrise, You are very Lucky

backfromthestorm
10-25-09, 01:53 PM
Geez... sounds like YOU were very lucky... and I was only gonna go up there for the view lol...! Oh your right though.. the old hippies round ere definatly grow the best weed. Years of practice i imagine.

karsten
10-25-09, 01:58 PM
By the way there is also the Fehmarn footage, that might have made its way to Exp Hendrix's vault, and there should be some unrelesed Pennebaker footage left as well..

Olvator
10-25-09, 07:52 PM
By the way there is also the Fehmarn footage, that might have made its way to Exp Hendrix's vault, and there should be some unrelesed Pennebaker footage left as well..

actually which Fehmarn footage are you referring to?

weavzy
10-25-09, 11:17 PM
maybe she has found all the missing berkeley footage - sound checks and both shows! all in pristine condition and filmed in 16.9! now that would be awsome! all i really want is an analog remaster of ELL on vinyl. i cant understand why you cant get it on vinyl. makes no sense at all

but, to be fair, not everything EH gives us is shite. stuff like Hear My Music, burning desire, morning symphony ideas and even the 4 disc box set i think have all been fantastic. they just gotta release some more live stuff. and more often. they just drip it out sporadicly.

oh, and i dont believe for a second that albert hall will ever see the light of day. if you notice at the start of the IOW dvd he is asking one of the road managers about it and he is told of legal problems. well...here we are...40 years later...

karsten
10-26-09, 04:14 AM
actually which Fehmarn footage are you referring to?

Just the raw film made by german television. I guess they only used short clips for the Fehmarn documentary for legal reasons. There must exist somewhat more..

purple jim
10-26-09, 07:23 AM
oh, and i dont believe for a second that albert hall will ever see the light of day. if you notice at the start of the IOW dvd he is asking one of the road managers about it and he is told of legal problems. well...here we are...40 years later...

Good news Weavzy, the legal issues have been cleared up and the film makers Gold & Goldstien have been working with Experience Hendrix on the release which is now set for mid to end 2010 by the look of it.

weavzy
10-26-09, 08:40 AM
Good news Weavzy, the legal issues have been cleared up and the film makers Gold & Goldstien have been working with Experience Hendrix on the release which is now set for mid to end 2010 by the look of it.

although i believe that you have heard this from a reliable source, i just dont believ it will ever happen. we hendrix fanse seem to get hand fed this bullshit every year. it is an annual event. i wish i could be as certain as you. but i'm sure last year, i heard it was going to be released this year. same goes for the year before that. and so on, and so on. if it ever does see the light of day in some sort of official release, we wont get t he full 100 minute concert. it will be some poorly digitaly cleaned up version of that shite that has been available on bootleg for years, with all the lame effects and and bad edit jobs. and even that wont see the light of day until 2025. i hope am wrong. I PRAY THAT I AM WRONG!! but, it seems that the man that was - and the spirit that is jimi hendrix - got screwed by suits whilst he walked on earth, and he's gettin screwed by suits still.

Lord Summerisle
10-26-09, 08:54 AM
although i believe that you have heard this from a reliable source, i just dont believ it will ever happen. we hendrix fanse seem to get hand fed this bullshit every year. it is an annual event. i wish i could be as certain as you. but i'm sure last year, i heard it was going to be released this year. same goes for the year before that. and so on, and so on. if it ever does see the light of day in some sort of official release, we wont get t he full 100 minute concert. it will be some poorly digitaly cleaned up version of that shite that has been available on bootleg for years, with all the lame effects and and bad edit jobs. and even that wont see the light of day until 2025. i hope am wrong. I PRAY THAT I AM WRONG!! but, it seems that the man that was - and the spirit that is jimi hendrix - got screwed by suits whilst he walked on earth, and he's gettin screwed by suits still.

We're going to get it and something tells me we'll be getting a whole lot more over the next year.

karsten
10-26-09, 10:45 AM

I believe according to Univibes that Gold or Goldstein (who ever is the surviving one) was determined to edit the DVD himself. The result was probably far from Janie's idea of a "reality show-like" concept, so that might have delayed the whole thing...

manfree
10-26-09, 10:59 AM
Is your glass half empty or half full?

backfromthestorm
10-26-09, 01:52 PM
About the Berkeley footage.. isnt it all on the cutting room floor? I thought there was hardly enough to what they did.. hence cutting away to the street battles during machine gun and so forth.. them camera men fucked loads up by trying to do `psychodelic` shots in time with the music, zooming in and out and shaking the camera side to side... I HATE it when they did that.. let the artist be the artist..

I guess there is reels and reels of footage of Woodstock and IOW but from different angles.. that they definately have.. you get a taste on the Blue Wild Angel DVD.

ilovejimi
10-26-09, 03:18 PM
About the Berkeley footage.. isnt it all on the cutting room floor? .
My thought is that the footage still exist-- any good editor is going to make a saftey copy of the orignal before cutting up the film.

Before the Woodstock (EH version)release, I was told in writting by S Peasant that no additional footage existed due to being destroyed by the Douglas administration. Turns out that was a complete lie-- I wrote EH again and called them out on it-- I was then told ""we told you the truth based on information presented to us by Warner Brothers- it wasnt until recently the footage was discovered- not to mention when Ownership was transfered Douglas clamed he had nothing more"" I still wrote back saying that based on the time that I inquired and the subsequent release date that EH already had the film in their possession in order to edit and develope the color treatment and advertise it release-- EH never responded to my comments thereafter..

I dont trust EH at all .

weavzy
10-26-09, 06:24 PM
We're going to get it and something tells me we'll be getting a whole lot more over the next year.

i wish i could share the confidence that most of you share on the Albert Hall footage. i have never wished so hard that i will be wrong. i want to be wrong.

And on the berkley footage - anyone notice how much better the picture quality is on the 73 Jimi documentary (with little richard, mick jagger, faye, the twins ect) compared to the actuall berekley release? why is this? the berekly dvd is one of the most frustrating dvds available. we all know how good he was at this gig ( a few low spots in the first show, but the second set is one of his best, i feel). and all we are given is a visual tease. the edit jobs are just plain horrid. they must have been so stoned when they took the hatchet to this. Is there anyone out there that is under the impresion that the rest of the footage exists? or do we resign to the fact that its all lost and gone for ever?

Jimi_Uchihaeyez
10-26-09, 07:48 PM
although i believe that you have heard this from a reliable source, i just dont believ it will ever happen. we hendrix fanse seem to get hand fed this bullshit every year. it is an annual event. i wish i could be as certain as you. but i'm sure last year, i heard it was going to be released this year. same goes for the year before that. and so on, and so on. if it ever does see the light of day in some sort of official release, we wont get t he full 100 minute concert. it will be some poorly digitaly cleaned up version of that shite that has been available on bootleg for years, with all the lame effects and and bad edit jobs. and even that wont see the light of day until 2025. i hope am wrong. I PRAY THAT I AM WRONG!! but, it seems that the man that was - and the spirit that is jimi hendrix - got screwed by suits whilst he walked on earth, and he's gettin screwed by suits still.Now why in the world would Janie edit the hell out of one of EH's biggest marketing items? Janie maybe a idiot in many dimensions, but she's not a marketing idiot, and she won't f*** up something like RAH to the point of the HORRIBLY edited RAH bootleg. And why would Janie hold back on RAH, something we KNOW is good. It's garrenteed to not be another Woburn. So have some optimism, because RAH'll happen. But for me, BRING ON THE '69 GERMAN TOUR FOOTAGE! That's what I really want. Maybe a package deal? Ah dreams. :(

weavzy
10-26-09, 08:44 PM
BRING ON THE '69 GERMAN TOUR FOOTAGE! That's what I really want. Maybe a package deal? Ah dreams. :( <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

tell me more! what is this german tour footage you speak of?

I'll try to be more positive. all you guys are making me more optomistic, but surely you can understand why i am doubtful.

johanincr
10-27-09, 01:51 AM
And why would Janie hold back on RAH, something we KNOW is good.

I respectfully disagree with you on that. On the boot video or on any photos from both RAH69 shows, i cant see Jimi having *any* fun/joy at all.
RAH24 sounds good, many classics like the last complete Little Wing, fairly good versions of the blues songs and an 'interesting' finale, but really do they look like they're enjoying themselves onstage at any point?

It's garrenteed to not be another Woburn. So have some optimism, because RAH'll happen. But for me, BRING ON THE '69 GERMAN TOUR FOOTAGE! That's what I really want. Maybe a package deal? Ah dreams. :(

It wont be another Woburn, because we already have the SOUND of the whole RAH show. Whatever they will release on DVDs, it wont be enough - we will want more. That '69 German tour footage, i'd love to be wrong, but i dont think that ever happened (to any extent). Take a look at all the photos you can find from the gigs that were supposedly filmed on that tour, any film cameras there? :-(

Best case scenario? Footage of both RAH rehearsals and shows, and a bit from the Speakeasy jam session. If we're really lucky NAGRA sound reels of those German shows, but i guess if they had those, they would have bragged about that by now....as so often, i'd love to be wrong:)

ilovejimi
10-27-09, 05:43 PM
Goldstein could answer many questions regarding what was filmed on the German tour-- never read of any interviews he may have given

weavzy
10-27-09, 05:54 PM
Goldstein could answer many questions regarding what was filmed on the German tour-- never read of any interviews he may have given

but do we know for sure it was filmed professionaly? i have never heard of tsuch a film existing. are we talking about live at the koln and shows like that?

Jimi_Uchihaeyez
10-27-09, 06:26 PM
but do we know for sure it was filmed professionaly? i have never heard of tsuch a film existing. are we talking about live at the koln and shows like that?The 1/8/69-1/23/69 chunk of shows. EH mentions that "reports indicate" that the 1/23 Berlin was filmed for a rebroadcast on Germany TV. http://jimihendrix.com/encyclopedia/document,19690123,1.html

ilovejimi
10-27-09, 07:32 PM
but do we know for sure it was filmed professionaly? i have never heard of tsuch a film existing. are we talking about live at the koln and shows like that?
I do not know one way or the other- Im just saying if Goldstein and Gold were the ones involved in any such filming, then Goldstein could tell us what he knows. What is the harm in just telling us what he has- i never got with all the secrecy. I cant get over the stubbornnes of folks like Goldstein to hold out so long, chrisss sakes- this tape is 40 years, how long does he plan to live. I try to think of my glass as completely full when it comes to RAH- however Janie comes along and kicks the glass over. She has had this tape for years (4+ by my count)- why dosent she just release the damn thing- she promised in an interview this year- we would have it released this year- so thats an outright lie- which gives credence to those whom have just lost all hope in its release. From a business stand point- how does EH expect to make money by teasing their fan base. Well one thing is for sure- we are about to enter into yet another cycle of buying the same 3 core albums yet again- :wave:

Makkinen
10-27-09, 08:16 PM
Gold and Goldstein?
There are two possibilities.
1. They are crazy bastards nobody can reach any reasonable deal with.
2. They are greedy bastards without talent who screwed up the RAH job and
are trying for years to sell mediocre quality for the 'non-mediocre' price.

Regarding the RAH concert. True, it's better not to look at it. However, contrary to 'popular belief' that's one of the best Experience's concerts ever. Just check Stone Free, Red House, Little Wing, Voodoo Chile/Room Full of Mirrors Jam, Bleeding Heart, Foxy Lady or Hear My Train and try to find another concert with so many excellently played tunes. You will not find it.
Yes, Jimi looked bored but he played like GOD and we already have the complete audio in excellent quality.

I agree with the guy who said that we'll get what we already have in much better video quality (audio is alread great as I've said before) plus some (probably silent) collage footage from the January '69.
An hour of additional quality material from European '69 tour? C'mon guys, Janie would have made a separate DVD out of it if she'd have it.

P.S. Regarding Woburn.
Guys think about this.
They bought the tape, released it few months later.
Poor quality 48 minutes long CD.
Would't they put few outtakes as a bonus on it if they have such enormous amount of interesting unreleased material? Of course they would.
In fact I'm sure that Caesar's decision to sell the tape saved the
year for them. They have nothing guys. THE WELL IS DRY!

weavzy
10-27-09, 08:28 PM
try to think of my glass as completely full when it comes to RAH- however Janie comes along and kicks the glass over. She has had this tape for years (4+ by my count)- why dosent she just release the damn thing- she promised in an interview this year- we would have it released this year- so thats an outright lie- which gives credence to those whom have just lost all hope in its release.

man, you summed up how i feel exactly. i've been built up so many times by talk of this footage being officially released for years now. and now we are getting told next year again. i just know that next year we will be told "next year", and so the pattern continues. how hard is it to release. do EH have the rights to this film yet? if not, fair enuf, but just tell us so we dont keep getting our hopes up. if they do, just release it. it cant be that difficult. people swear black and blue that EH own the footage, and its being prepared for release. how long does this process take? its just doesnt make sense. now, i'm not a pesamist, but i am a realist. and realisticly speaking, i just dont think that EH have the rights to release this film or otherwise they would. if anyone out there can give me a fair and logical reason for them to keep pushing the release date back a year, every friggen year then i am all ears. it just can not be that difficult, or take this long to put a film into a dvd format and release it to the public.

Janie, you are a trechorous, mean spirited, money grubbing wench with the morals of a whore on acid. you are hitler in a skirt. Mr burns with a perm. Corruption, thy name is Janie.

backfromthestorm
10-27-09, 08:33 PM
it just can not be that difficult, or take this long to put a film into a dvd format and release it to the public.

Janie, you are a trechorous, mean spirited, money grubbing wench with the morals of a whore on acid. you are hitler in a skirt. Mr burns with a perm. Corruption, thy name is Janie.

Well, there go the plans for next years release of RAH and 90mins of unseen extras lol.. I blame Weavzy.. ;-)

ilovejimi
10-27-09, 09:08 PM
Well, there go the plans for next years release of RAH and 90mins of unseen extras lol.. I blame Weavzy.. ;-)
I blame Mr. Burns with a perm-- lmao- that line is classic:) Sharon Lawrence calls Janie the poser sister ""The Bitch From Hell""

weavzy
10-27-09, 10:36 PM
ha! sorry guys. but someone had to say it. what can i say? i just dont like the woman.

purple jim
10-28-09, 01:56 AM
… if anyone out there can give me a fair and logical reason for them to keep pushing the release date back a year, every friggen year then i am all ears.

It was going to come out a year or two ago but once Janie saw that she could get a good deal with Sony, it was put on hold until the papers were all legally wound up.
All this RAH noise began back in October 2005, when in an interview with Marc Brown of RockyMountainNews.com, Eddie Kramer revealed that he was working on a new project, which he said would blow away everything he had done up till then ! He reckoned it was the greatest performance he has seen or heard by Jimi.
This makes you think that it surely must be an improvement on the bootleg video in circulation (in terms of editing I mean).

Chris M
10-28-09, 03:47 AM
I believe according to Univibes that Gold or Goldstein (who ever is the surviving one) was determined to edit the DVD himself..

Exactly, part of the hold up is Goldstein wanted some creative control thinking it was his film.

The result was probably far from Janie's idea of a "reality show-like" concept, so that might have delayed the whole thing...

The reality show quip is likely Janie, not bring that familiar with the music and context, was asked a question she was unfamiliar with and blurted out the reality show comment becuse she knows the raw footage has offstage stuff.

Chris M
10-28-09, 03:52 AM
It all goes back to what MS said. EH is a business.

No different than any other including botique lales like MFSL, Rhino Handmade, etc.

if course they will put on Monterey and ELL as they're big promotion.

They aren't putting Monterey out again. Most of the alt angles were on the EH DVD.

so they have 40 sets of AYE, Axis, and ELL for them to choose from. In the end we have Dagger, so let's pray for release from that.

I don't follow, EH has had the catalog for over 10 years and AYE, Axis and EL have been reissued exactly once. Dougas put out 3 masterings for each JHE LP. When issued again next year you can bank on unheard studio stuff as a bonus..

Chris M
10-28-09, 04:00 AM
if it ever does see the light of day in some sort of official release

I'd blame Goldstein more than EH for the lack of a RAH release. Google Jerry Goldstein and Sly Stone and prepare for some interesting reading.

we wont get the full 100 minute concert. it will be some poorly digitaly cleaned up version of that shite that has been available on bootleg for years, with all the lame effects and and bad edit jobs.

There is a 0% of that happening. They have or have access to the raw, unedited 16MM footage; why would they use a poor quality vhs dub of a very rough cut? If it coms out expect coverage at least as good as Woodstock.

EH put out every song played IOW. The didn't edit the 22 min Machine Guy. What makes you think they would futz w/ RAH? Forget about Janie, McDermott produces reissues and he is a HUGE fan. Just as obsessive as we are. He won't fuck up RAH.

buffalorattle
10-28-09, 04:32 AM
If you watch the bootleg footage of RAH, Some of the crowd scenes are definately from another venue, so I imagine stage footage does exist

purple jim
10-28-09, 07:23 AM
If I'm not wrong, all that we know is that Gold & Golstein went off with the band on the short European tour to film the group. It is not clear if this was simply to film them "on tour" (i.e. on the road) or actual concert performances. After what Janie is enthusing about ("reality TV") I fear it will be just Jimi hanging around, catching a train, getting in a car, etc. If not, perhaps a few scraps of concert footage.
What we should get in all fairness is rehearsal footage for the RAH gigs and more importantly, the Feb 18th concert (on DVD 2 ?).

weavzy
10-28-09, 07:23 AM
They have or have access to the raw, unedited 16MM footage

what are the odds of this footage being in 16.9? that would be awsome. why isnt yoodstock in 16.9? i'm sure i've seen footage of other bands at woodstock in 16.9.

weavzy
10-28-09, 07:25 AM
What we should get in all fairness is rehearsal footage and more importantly, the Feb 18th concert (on DVD 2 ?). <!-- / message -->
is that the gig where he is waering the hat with the big feather? has that been confirmed as being filmed?

purple jim
10-28-09, 08:10 AM
is that the gig where he is waering the hat with the big feather? has that been confirmed as being filmed?

Photographic proof:
http://www.noob.fr/upload/8538a_03jpg.jpg (http://www.noob.fr)

More photos of the rehearsals on Ayler's site:
http://hendrix.aceboard.fr/264448-2563-293-0-Londres-Royall-Albert-Hall-fevrier-1969-Soundcheck.htm

weavzy
10-28-09, 08:24 AM
Photographic proof:
http://www.noob.fr/upload/8538a_03jpg.jpg (http://www.noob.fr)

More photos of the rehearsals on Ayler's site:
AWSOME!!!! jeez, i hope we get the works when this RAH dvd finally see's the light of day. christ knows we deserve it for how long we've had to wait!!!

Makkinen
10-28-09, 08:45 AM
Ok, so what do we see on these photos?
One camera in front of Jimi, many photographers on the other,
a guy holding a long microphone on several others...
Lot of comotion in front of Jimi playing drums (is camera still there?
If it is, that must be a hell of a fillming/rehearsing in the middle
of that crowd).
Either Gold & Gldstein had no clue about the job or there
actually was no 'pro-filming' there.

You know guys, I think the next Dagger release will be Stockholm,
January '69. Probably a double CD.
Something to look forward too, don't you think?
:o-((

P.S. Concentrate on the photo above. Is that Gold holding a
newspapers to protect the camera from unwanted light?
Or is it Goldstein?
(Contrary to popular belief, not all Jews have talent.)

backfromthestorm
10-28-09, 08:57 AM
That doesnt look like a photo to me... it looks more like its a Still taken from a moving image.. ...to me anyway.

Oh and there was more than one camera at that rehearsal if i remember correctly, I've seen other pics with at least two maybe three cameras filming them rehearse.. There must be a lot of footage somewhere.

Makkinen
10-28-09, 09:14 AM
Yes, it looks like a still. Looks like...

Yes, there were many more cameras,
photo cameras.

One more thing.
About Jimi's bad mood. Maybe Gold & Goldstein are to blame for that too.
Jimi was expected to smash the guitar at the end as well as act like a clown.
And all that just to be exciting enough for the film.
Knowing Jimi's character, enough for him to boycott the project
by standing still and look uninterested.

johanincr
10-28-09, 10:29 AM
Very good point about Jimi's foul mood Makkinen!
This is from the rehearsal on the 24th:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3544/3843914034_fef49eeb12_o.jpg

and this from the rehearsal on the 18th:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3452/3969094739_6f705dfa9f.jpg

More than 1 film camera yes, professionals at work? i dunno :-)

univibs
10-28-09, 05:12 PM
P.S. Concentrate on the photo above. Is that Gold holding a
newspapers to protect the camera from unwanted light?
Or is it Goldstein?

I think he is doing a white balance for the camera.

ilovejimi
10-28-09, 06:40 PM
these rehersal pics are incredible (ive never seen them)- WOW, and we see the video cameras in action. I have the audio from JPIO and from CTT- I wonder where that audio came from? Anyone know if a soundboard recording exist or was the sound captured only via Goldstein/Gold microphones? Ive mentioned this before, but to keep with the discussion- I wrote S Peasant back in 2005 and asked if the awful effects shown in the RAH would be included or excluded (ie sparklers, mirror images, zooming in out way to fast). He wrote back stating those effects will not be included.) Now for him to say that, has to mean that EH was going to able to have at least some input into the editing process. Maybe it also means that Goldstein himself felt that it was a good idea to get rid of this nonsence. EH and Goldstein need each other, so Im optimistic there may have been some reasonable compromises between the two. I believe the hold up is Jane/Janie/Jika/Hendrix poser sister wanted to wait for a better deal from Sony/Legacy- if that is the case, then of course MS is correct, afterall folks are in business to be profitable- if not, by definition there is no business. As noted above, I never noticed different crowd shots from other concerts included in the RAH video bootleg- ill check it out. In the mean time can anyone identify the other venues where the footage may have come from- this might give us a clue if the cameras were at least filming at concerts on the Euro tour (it may not mean they caputrued the concert but at least cameras were on site). even if not much footage was captured- I would at least hope that they captured the audio- which just might be a sweet upgrade to the boots we have. GREAT TOP TOPIC DISCUSSION EVERYONE- GOOD WORK. :wave:

ap0llo
10-28-09, 07:29 PM
There is a soundboard tape of the Feb. 18th 1969 show at RAH, one of the songs from it is on the tracker here (a nice Hear My Train A Comin'). Unfortunately it does not circulate yet :(.

Jimi_Uchihaeyez
10-28-09, 07:35 PM
One more thing.
by standing still and look uninterested.I'd buy that.

http://curtsys.com/tomatom/images/henx4.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3477/3974813403_bec4f085fc.jpg

Facial expressions, not very intrested. Playing, well you know that.

Makkinen
10-28-09, 09:17 PM
IloveJimi, here's info from H-P's site:

- Royal Albert Hall, London 24.02.69
plus
- Home Recordings 1969
- Footage from German Tour, January 1969

Re-worked version of the unreleased film "Experience" aka."The Last Experience" (http://home.online.no/%7Ehpjohnse/hendrix.html#rah)

Features:
Full Stereo Sound
Actual song order
Dozens of 'out of sync' shots corrected
Songs extended to full length
Psychedelic effects added to fill in missing scenes
Compiled from different video sources
Plays back in full screen mode

---------------------------------------------------

Regarding which non-RAH footage is included, here is what I remember:
- Arriving to Vienna, kissing an unidentified girl and driving in the
car towards city centre
- Unidentified (very short) live clip (Berlin? - doubt it's Vienna
because I know Konzerthaus concert hall very well -
been in it many times including the concert just few months ago,
however, it's very short and quality is bad so I guess anything is possible)
- Hound Dog (Jimi on acoustic guitar with Kathy and few friends
in their home - Brook Street, February '69).
- Short clip of desperate Jimi sitting backstage at RAH after the 2nd concert.

I can't remember if there is anything else ...

Chris M
10-29-09, 01:40 AM
There is a soundboard tape of the Feb. 18th 1969 show at RAH, one of the songs from it is on the tracker here (a nice Hear My Train A Comin')..

Not just a SB tape but a professional 8 track recording. Quality every bit as good as the 2 RAH songs on In the West.

I'd love to *see* the footage of the 2/18 HMT since Mitch totally, totally screws up the first minute of the song. If Jimi gave Mitch a curt look on the 2/24 version I can only imagine how frustrated he was when Mitch comes in on the wrong beat and takes ages to turn it around.

I'm also keen to see what was played at the 2/18 soundcheck.

Chris M
10-29-09, 01:44 AM
Knowing Jimi's character, enough for him to boycott the project by standing still and look uninterested.

C'mon, Jimi had a lot at stake in the RAH project. One look at his handwritten letters detailing the filming and recording is evidence he was involved in the process.

Chris M
10-29-09, 01:48 AM
One camera in front of Jimi, many photographers on the other,
a guy holding a long microphone on several others.Either Gold & Gldstein had no clue about the job or there actually was no 'pro-filming' there.

Dude, there are photos that show 3 professional 16MM cameras 5 feet from Jimi at the 2/18 soundcheck. Are you suggesting that isn't pro filming? Do you think 3 guys arrived at the soundcheck seperately with their 16MM cameras and set up shop onstage to film the JHE?

purple jim
10-29-09, 01:56 AM
by standing still and look uninterested.

I don't think that Jimi's mood was determined by his "obligation" to do the Wild Man routine. Look at the Stockholm date of a month or so earlier also, it illustrates his general attitude to his performances at this stage in his career. He had had enough of whole Jimi hendrix Experience thing. The band had even announced in December 68 that they were splitting up to persue solo projects.
What we will see in the film(s) is not necessarily a miserable Hendrix but a man in total concentration for his art, determined to show the world that it is the MUSIC that matters.

Chris M
10-29-09, 02:03 AM
Before the Woodstock (EH version)release, I was told in writting by S Peasant that no additional footage existed due to being destroyed by the Douglas administration. Turns out that was a complete lie.I wrote EH again and called them out on it-- I was then told ""we told you the truth based on information presented to us by Warner Brothers- it wasnt until recently the footage was discovered- not to mention when Ownership was transfered Douglas clamed he had nothing more"".

You really shouldn't speak from a position of ignorance. Did it occur to you that maybe, just maybe, Douglas wasn't forthcoming about the Woodstock outtakes?

Douglas thought the rest of the unused Woodstock footage was worthless. He had no interest in film of Message to Love, Lover Man, Foxy, et al. You know Douglas right? Same guy that hacked up a bunch of Jimi multitracks, recorded over original parts, got session musicians to play guitar 'with' Jimi 5 years after he died, same guy that didn't put Earth Blues out because his 13 year old daughter thought it was corny, same guy that passed on 64 reels of session tapes from 1967 because he figured "those tapes are probably just unre Noel Redding songs"...that's the villian in the story.

The Woodstock motion picture and all outtakes were/are owned by Warner Brothers. If EH said they didn't have the outtakes or they were lost/destroyed they had good reason to believe it. Notice how they went out of their way to mention in the Berkeley DVD liners that they would love to issue a more complete version but the outtakes are MIA? If they had more Berkeley footage they would've used it as they realize a 'new' version with unseen footage would sell way more than a straight reissue (w/ remixed sound) would.

Chris M
10-29-09, 02:12 AM
If I'm not wrong, all that we know is that Gold & Golstein went off with the band on the short European tour to film the group. It is not clear if this was simply to film them "on tour" (i.e. on the road) or actual concert performances. After what Janie is enthusing about ("reality TV") I fear it will be just Jimi hanging around, catching a train, getting in a car, etc. If not, perhaps a few scraps of concert footage.
What we should get in all fairness is rehearsal footage for the RAH gigs and more importantly, the Feb 18th concert (on DVD 2 ?).

The film crew filmed Jimi, Mitch and Noel both on stage and off stage. At least 15 hours of unseen pro footage. Some concert, backstage, Jimi at the Brook Street flat, catching a train, making out with hot German models. Lots of footage. I don't think we know how much of Austria, Strasbourg and Berlin was filmed but a pro film crew was definitely there. I can't imagine they followed Jimi around Eurpoe with all that equipment and didn't film any performances. Even if coverage is spotty in the shows you'll have unheard 2 track Nagra recordings of the shows.

Chris M
10-29-09, 02:33 AM
An hour of additional quality material from European '69 tour? C'mon guys, Janie would have made a separate DVD out of it if she'd have it.!

The Gold/Goldstein stuff has been tied up in the courts since a couple months after Jimi died. Jeffery tried to release it and couldn't, Joe Boyd tried to use it in his Film About Jimi Hendrix and couldn't, Douglas tried to release it and couldn't and now EH has (obviously) struggled to get it out. That should tell you something.

Goldstein is/was Sly's manager. Notice how there aren't any Sly outtakes on the 40th Anniversary edition of Woodstock?

P.S. Regarding Woburn.
Guys think about this.
They bought the tape, released it few months later.
Poor quality 48 minutes long CD.
Would't they put few outtakes as a bonus on it if they have such enormous amount of interesting unreleased material? Of course they would!

Is that a haiku? Seriously, what is the deal with putting 4 or 5 words per line? That makes it hard to read.

How do you know they bought the Woburn tape? Is that your assumption or do you know that to be fact? Sounds like you are making guesses and posting them as fact.

In fact I'm sure that Caesar's decision to sell the tape saved the year for them. They have nothing guys. THE WELL IS DRY!

If professional multitrack recordings of half a dozen unreleased and unbooted original Hendrix songs, 10 hours of alt takes from the Axis sessions, multitrack recordings and daylight pro shot color footage of the JHE at Miami Pop, full band JHE studio versions of Valleys, Ships Passing In The Night, Go Your Own Way and Bleeding Heart, pro recordings of all 4 BOG shows, BOG versions of Look Over Yonder, Come On and Clarance Carter covers, several completely unheard 1970 studio versions of Hey Baby and Black Gold is a dry well then you may be right.

johanincr
10-29-09, 02:54 AM
The Gold/Goldstein stuff has been tied up in the courts since a couple months after Jimi died. Jeffery tried to release it and couldn't, Joe Boyd tried to use it in his Film About Jimi Hendrix and couldn't, Douglas tried to release it and couldn't and now EH has (obviously) struggled to get it out. That should tell you something.

That its just not gonna happen?

Goldstein is/was Sly's manager. Notice how there aren't any Sly outtakes on the 40th Anniversary edition of Woodstock?

You mentioned this before and i googled a bit, doesnt look too promising...

How do you know they bought the Woburn tape? Is that your assumption or do you know that to be fact? Sounds like you are making guesses and posting them as fact.

They didnt buy the tape nor did they use it for the Dagger, they only had a digital copy to use, which they managed to screw up in the mastering process, there's for example a dropout in Tax Free at 4:42 on the Dagger that isnt on the mastertape.
This I know to be a fact, not an assumption, and i dont think its news to you, either.;)

purple jim
10-29-09, 03:42 AM
Has Caeser Glebeek's commented on the Dagger release of the Woburn tape ?

Lord Summerisle
10-29-09, 03:44 AM
So who bought the Woburn tape?

Chris M
10-29-09, 04:00 AM
They didnt buy the tape nor did they use it for the Dagger, they only had a digital copy to use, which they managed to screw up in the mastering process, there's for example a dropout in Tax Free at 4:42 on the Dagger that isnt on the mastertape.
This I know to be a fact, not an assumption, and i dont think its news to you, either.;)

Yep, that is what I was hinting at :)

weavzy
10-29-09, 06:18 AM
man, just reading all this talk about RAH made me youtube some stuff. reading the comments i came across a simple yet jarring one.
"He died at 27".
i've been idolizing this dude since i was 14, and i'm now just about to turn 31. i've out lived him by four years and i still look up to him. but thats not what jarred me. what blew my mind was that there is so much hendrix music still out there and i'm always hearing new things, and noticing little bits of his music i've never heard before.
sometimes you forget that he ever actually died. he keeps on giving 39 years later. it nearly bought a tear to my eye. but that mite just be the joint and glass of red i was enjoying at the time...
onya jimi. love ya mate.

backfromthestorm
10-29-09, 09:07 AM
man, just reading all this talk about RAH made me youtube some stuff. reading the comments i came across a simple yet jarring one.
"He died at 27".
i've been idolizing this dude since i was 14, and i'm now just about to turn 31. i've out lived him by four years and i still look up to him. but thats not what jarred me. what blew my mind was that there is so much hendrix music still out there and i'm always hearing new things, and noticing little bits of his music i've never heard before.
sometimes you forget that he ever actually died. he keeps on giving 39 years later. it nearly bought a tear to my eye. but that mite just be the joint and glass of red i was enjoying at the time...
onya jimi. love ya mate.

Ditto. Totally. I cried when I was about 14 (1994) and told that Jimi was dead. That really hurt, odd really, when all I had of him was a few old Backtrack LP`S of me Dads and In the West. My 27th birthday was pretty depressing but I kept that to myself, people wouldnt understand. Depressin cos I`d looked up to him like an older brother, he taught me to play the guitar and was there at an instant at the press of a button when no one else was around. Nothins changed though really, I still look up to him and I`m sure I will if I live to be 60.. And I`ll still be hearing new sounds in ELL even then.

His souls been around for a thousand years and his music will be around for a thousand more.

vibratinglens
10-29-09, 10:58 AM
Ditto. Totally. I cried when I was about 14 (1994) and told that Jimi was dead. That really hurt, odd really, when all I had of him was a few old Backtrack LP`S of me Dads and In the West. My 27th birthday was pretty depressing but I kept that to myself, people wouldnt understand. Depressin cos I`d looked up to him like an older brother, he taught me to play the guitar and was there at an instant at the press of a button when no one else was around. Nothins changed though really, I still look up to him and I`m sure I will if I live to be 60.. And I`ll still be hearing new sounds in ELL even then.

His souls been around for a thousand years and his music will be around for a thousand more.

I was born the year after he died. I still wish he was around in a more alive sense. Was that insensitive? To bad it's how I feel. All of these people selling or sitting on material or EH continuing to determine what Jimi's legacy should be, disgusts me.
The well is not dry, it is stopped up by people without musical appreciation for what Jimi meant to the world.
Or everybody was to stoned to know what they kept and forgot where it is. Let's go with that.

Makkinen
10-29-09, 11:22 AM
So they have three camers there
(I see only two thatks to Johanincr's post)
but I'll take your word for it (you're so well informed).

ChrisM.
Who are you?
What's your name?
Do you work for Experience Hendrix?
Are you an important man in the 'organization'?
Do you have some information Janie told you personaly?

I don't work for them.
I don't know anyone there (and don't want to, but that's another story).
I don't email them on a daily basis.
I don't think about new releases night and day.
I just love Jimi and follow what's REALLY happening with his catalogue in the past 40 years and what's most important to me, I LISTEN TO HIS MUSIC AND I CARE HOW MUSIC CATALOGUE OF ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT MUSICIAN OF THE 20TH CENTURY LOOKS LIKE.
(not shouting just 'underlining').
AND, people know who am I.

So, they didn't buy the Woburn tape.
Does that make my argument weaker? I don't think so.
Why would they release a digital copy of the crappy tape if they really have so many fine quality recordings in their 'vaults' (or is it maybe a dusty basement with unmarked boxes so they actually can't find them at the moment and that's why thei release is delayed).

How much time you need to master, for example, BOG tapes?
Since all EH releases (especially Dagger) have LOADS of various noises
and digital errors - please don't ask me where because if you didn't notice
them so far you're a lost case) they are obviously not too much about details.
So why the delay (I'm sure you have very logical reply)?

You know ChrisM, you can repeat 100 more times what's written in McDermott's book and say they have this and they have that. Until it's released it DOESN?T EXIST.
And I'm sorry but I simply need to conclude at the end that I fear that it's going to stay that way for a long, long time,

Every Jimi's fan out there that lives his life without participating in our "blahblahs"
knows this: in the past two years he got - Paris'68 and now GREAT disovery Woburn.
I don't think that's enough for a big enthousiasm.

Purple Jim, of course you might be right, I just speculated about it but check for example Berkeley '70 film. All the fun and 'gymnastics' are there. Yes, Jimi wanted to be taken seriously but his 'stage-persona' was also a true part of his personality. So when he was approached and asked to specifically do smashing and playing with his teeth I suspect he wasn't too happy.

(my last post in this thread)

vibratinglens
10-29-09, 12:36 PM
Every Jimi's fan out there that lives his life without participating in our "blahblahs"
knows this: in the past two years he got - Paris'68 and now GREAT disovery Woburn.
I don't think that's enough for a big enthousiasm.

Purple Jim, of course you might be right, I just speculated about it but check for example Berkeley '70 film. All the fun and 'gymnastics' are there. Yes, Jimi wanted to be taken seriously but his 'stage-persona' was also a true part of his personality. So when he was approached and asked to specifically do smashing and playing with his teeth I suspect he wasn't too happy.

(my last post in this thread)

I like the way you type your notes,
I truly do.
You type like it is poetry,
Ah, I think it's true.

It is sad to see this is your last post, it seems you do not believe anything of value will find it's way to the ears of the masses. Sad.

AS for The Experience being 'Jimiless', we all know that is true, by 69 it was getting old to Jimi.
Jimi was an ever evolving musician in changing times but those airs of revolution all changed as well, thus the public did not want to loose that "Wild Man Of Borneo" aura of the past because it reminded them of something to be that never was.

After that rambling how many of you think my potato been bakin' to long?(anyone know this reference??)

The last true fans who lived and witnessed his universal understanding, I am envious of but still love to hear those stories. Hope is all I have left, hope for a chance to listen to how his music evolved and wonder what it would be like today to hear him............oh the places we would go.

Lord Summerisle
10-29-09, 12:41 PM
Why would they release a digital copy of the crappy tape if they really have so many fine quality recordings in their 'vaults' (or is it maybe a dusty basement with unmarked boxes so they actually can't find them at the moment and that's why thei release is delayed).

Eh have been shopping around for a new deal, we knew that for some time, she wasn't going to release anything major because those unreleased tapes would be sweeteners for a new deal. They've got the new deal sorted now so you will see new stuff released.

purple jim
10-29-09, 03:34 PM

Hang on, Berleley is a different story, a lot had happened since early 1969 where Jimi was pretty fed up with The Experience routine. He seemed generally more fed up with the state of things within the band, feeling that they were repeating themselves.
For the 1970 tour he had negociated to do mainly weekend only shows, leaving himself time to get it together in the studio. Perhaps his mood was more bouyant because of this. Then again, he seemed to be in a miserable mood at Atlanta, so one can't really generalise.

univibs
10-29-09, 04:21 PM
I'd buy that.

http://curtsys.com/tomatom/images/henx4.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3477/3974813403_bec4f085fc.jpg

Facial expressions, not very intrested. Playing, well you know that.

interesting.
there are happy moments of him on stage that night as well .

there is something very interesting thu, the last number "Wild thing", is terribly out of tune, now that you mention that, it almost sound like the Guitar was out of tune deliberately, if this asumption is true, maybe his line of thinking was, if it would be so out of tune, then no one will ever is going to release it.

thoughts?

purple jim
10-29-09, 04:46 PM
Could be true.

dino77
10-29-09, 05:12 PM
More likely, he was exhausted, or simply didn't care for playing Wild Thing yet again.
Though it will be interesting to see if EH include Wild Thing on the dvd or on the soundtrack. It's painful listening and maybe shouldn't be included.
It would be lika a release of the Atlanta concert with Hey Baby.

purple jim
10-29-09, 05:43 PM
…or IOW with "Midnight Lightning" !

dino77
10-29-09, 05:48 PM
Sure, but ML is at least....reasonably close to being in tune :)

backfromthestorm
10-29-09, 06:04 PM

I`d LOVE to see Midnight Lightning from IOW! I like that track, what with all them sliding 6ths.. Hey Joe not quite as much though!..

ilovejimi
10-29-09, 06:24 PM
IloveJimi, here's info from H-P's site:

- Royal Albert Hall, London 24.02.69
plus
- Home Recordings 1969
- Footage from German Tour, January 1969

Re-worked version of the unreleased film "Experience" aka."The Last Experience" (http://home.online.no/%7Ehpjohnse/hendrix.html#rah)

Features:
Full Stereo Sound
Actual song order
Dozens of 'out of sync' shots corrected
Songs extended to full length
Psychedelic effects added to fill in missing scenes
Compiled from different video sources
Plays back in full screen mode

---------------------------------------------------

Regarding which non-RAH footage is included, here is what I remember:
- Arriving to Vienna, kissing an unidentified girl and driving in the
car towards city centre
- Unidentified (very short) live clip (Berlin? - doubt it's Vienna
because I know Konzerthaus concert hall very well -
been in it many times including the concert just few months ago,
however, it's very short and quality is bad so I guess anything is possible)
- Hound Dog (Jimi on acoustic guitar with Kathy and few friends
in their home - Brook Street, February '69).
- Short clip of desperate Jimi sitting backstage at RAH after the 2nd concert.

I can't remember if there is anything else ...

thank you very much :wave:

dino77
10-30-09, 03:41 AM
I`d LOVE to see Midnight Lightning from IOW! I like that track, what with all them sliding 6ths.. Hey Joe not quite as much though!..

We all would, but once again - it apparently wasn't filmed.

Ayler
10-30-09, 03:57 AM
This I know to be a fact, not an assumption, and i dont think its news to you, either.
May you tell us what happened???

karsten
10-30-09, 04:03 AM
Does anybody else remember the music video for Are You Experienced? where all the tapes comes out of the boxes and posters comes out of the drawers.
All though it hopefully wasn't the real tapes used, I remember how much I wished I was standing in that room!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjyXsIYAp8o&feature=related

Quite ironic Alan Douglas pops his head inside at the end and all the tapes are back in their boxes on the shelves not to be published...

I remember reading an interview with Alan Douglas in Guitar Player, where he said he wanted to burn all the tapes so that people only had the original albums (like Chaplin did) but then people would crusify him. Then journalist replied that he surtainly would!
He also talked about how there was no money and only peanuts in releasing concert videos.
That is probably why he never cared for securing the Berkley masters.

Furthermore quite a few multitrack mastertapes dispeared during the Douglas period.
Though that isn't bad from a collector's point of view since some of them surfaced to the collectors circles..

weavzy
10-30-09, 05:30 AM
[QUOTE][Which concert is it at 1:43 in AYE? video?
Is it just my wishful thinking that tell's me it isn't Berkley but could be LA Forum? /QUOTE]
i think it is the forum, but it doesnt look like footage to me, it looks like a sereis of photos. thanks for alerting me to this vid tho. i hadnt seen it since i was a drunk stoned 17 year old one very late sat nite 14 years ago.

johanincr
10-30-09, 12:24 PM
http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq160/johanincr/scannen0005.jpg

ilovejimi
10-30-09, 07:23 PM
^who is the youngster on the left of the photo (cant tell if Jimi is holding hand)? Mitch's child?:minipersonen065:

buffalorattle
10-31-09, 02:55 AM
The child is definately not Mitch's, I think Mitch had a child after this date, Perhaps he/she was with the camera crew

ilovejimi
10-31-09, 12:39 PM
The child is definately not Mitch's, I think Mitch had a child after this date, Perhaps he/she was with the camera crew
lol- i could'nt tell either: he/she

univibs
10-31-09, 01:57 PM

I don't get this "Midnight Lightning" thing issue... is it just me ?!.
how is this wonderful and spontaneous song, can be compare to "Wild thing" from RAH ?
It's one of my favorite Hendrix's songs ever ! brilliant soul singing, wonderful blues. and when he screams after the last line it gives me goose skin.
to be honest, I don't hear any guitar out of tune there .

univibs
10-31-09, 02:05 PM
http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq160/johanincr/scannen0005.jpg
did Jimi used to fly First Class ?

backfromthestorm
10-31-09, 06:31 PM
This thread seems to of gone a little out of tune.. but hey thats cool!.. Just wanted to thank everyone for their input/opinions/facts.... I cant believe how popular my first thread has been. .. It seems no one but Janie can really know what she has in her mystery vault at EH.. and we will have to wait and see what she has in store for us. The `glass half full` people seem to think next years gonna be a good un. Other think the glass is dry.. I hope next year they are proved wrong and I`m sure they do too. Any how.. Lookin forward to next years release of Miami and Royal Albert Hall with 5.1, wide screen, behind the scenes `never before seen` footage, and the rehearsals on disc 2. Keep the faith peoples!

(Janie, do whats right, you can do it, listen to the people.. but hey, dont worry about Weavsy`s lil thing, I`m sure ya a very nice lady once people get to know ya....) hmmmmm... ;-)

Thanks everyone!

weavzy
10-31-09, 06:37 PM
but hey, dont worry about Weavsy`s lil thing, I`m sure ya a very nice lady once people get to know ya....) hmmmmm... ;-)

if it means future releases of unheard and unseen jimi stuff- then i would like to retract my statement, Ms Hendrix...but if not, well...just read it again!

carlygtr56
10-31-09, 06:43 PM
I don't get this "Midnight Lightning" thing issue... is it just me ?!.
how is this wonderful and spontaneous song, can be compare to "Wild thing" from RAH ?
It's one of my favorite Hendrix's songs ever ! brilliant soul singing, wonderful blues. and when he screams after the last line it gives me goose skin.
to be honest, I don't hear any guitar out of tune there .

Midnight Lightning is well played and NOT out of tune. A shame it wasnt filmed.

backfromthestorm
10-31-09, 07:13 PM
Amen

dino77
11-01-09, 04:45 AM

It is well played and passionately performed, and we are fortunate to have a rare live performance of this song. But anyone with some aural skills would realise it's not completely in tune. Listen to the intro, and the chords at 0:28-31 on Blue Wild Angel. No big deal, but that's the truth.

carlygtr56
11-01-09, 08:27 AM
It is well played and passionately performed, and we are fortunate to have a rare live performance of this song. But anyone with some aural skills would realise it's not completely in tune. Listen to the intro, and the chords at 0:28-31 on Blue Wild Angel. No big deal, but that's the truth.

No more out of tune than the rest of the show. Maybe a bit flat but no strings blatently out of tune IMO-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW3dUgCHnL4

The Beginning of Voodoo Child he's out and retuning before the vocal.

manfree
11-01-09, 09:52 AM
Surely, Jimi being out of tune coz of the Whammy Bar {John Cipollina had the same problem} was what made Jimi so damn unique, Tuning-up, on the fly, [witness "Hey Joe" on the Lulu Show] is what we love about the man 40 odd years later.

backfromthestorm
11-01-09, 10:55 AM
EVERY strat player with a vintage style trem has had this problem! Lol (including moi!)

dino77
11-01-09, 11:21 AM
No more out of tune than the rest of the show. Maybe a bit flat but no strings blatently out of tune IMO-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW3dUgCHnL4

The Beginning of Voodoo Child he's out and retuning before the vocal.

Flat or sharp = out of tune. Unless you meant Jimi's guitar in relation to Billy Cox's bass.

carlygtr56
11-01-09, 01:15 PM
Flat or sharp = out of tune. Unless you meant Jimi's guitar in relation to Billy Cox's bass.

Never sounded out of tune to me. You pointed out a few second segment. Spare me.

univibs
11-01-09, 03:07 PM
Great ! I'm not alone in this !
but I still hope, that maybe someday there'll be some B&W video of this song...

ilovejimi
11-01-09, 09:54 PM
Well here we are in November-- looks like something will be avail starting in January (first 3 albums in Deluxe editions). EH has routinly let us know what is coming out a month or two prior to its actual availbility; with that said anyone think that she will give us a preview between now and say Christmas (my hope) or does she wait until January 1st or 2nd to promote the upcoming releases. My thought is:does the contract between EH and Legacytake effect in Jan of 2010 (my guess) meaning that we will not see what is avail until then. Or even can she promote items in Nov and Dec even if they are not going to be officially released until Jan 2010:fnd2022:

weavzy
11-01-09, 11:08 PM
Well here we are in November-- looks like something will be avail starting in January (first 3 albums in Deluxe editions).

i just hope they give us ELL on vinyl!

ilovejimi
11-01-09, 11:23 PM
i just hope they give us ELL on vinyl!
Stereo or maybe even Mono? Few months ago I wrote EH and complained about the Remasters (quality could and should have been better imho) and asked if they could perhaps make improvements and confirm the generation of tapes they are using. Hell why not, Im going to be forced into buying all three albums all over again- give me something new and or improved for my money. BTW EH never responded to me on this issue:confused:. Personally if i had vinal i would want it coverted to cd imediatly as i cant stand the snap crackle pop of vinal. The best of my collection comes from the Japaness P20P P33P cd :wave:series

MourningStar
11-01-09, 11:34 PM
i just hope they give us ELL on vinyl! I have not come across any medium that has surpassed the sonic qualities of my original Hendrix vinyl (or any other vinyl of the era for that matter) and I have both American and European pressings. Alas, they are currently moth-balled as my original equipment (Sansui amp, Technics direct-drive turntable, can't recall cartridge but it cost some bucks, and Bose speakers (all top-of-the-line models@the time-1972) succumbed to use, abuse and time. Curious, what equipment are you planning to play this on if ELL is released on vinyl?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/XiKano/AVATAR/peace5.gif

Chris M
11-02-09, 01:17 AM
Stereo or maybe even Mono? Few months ago I wrote EH and complained about the Remasters (quality could and should have been better imho) and asked if they could perhaps make improvements and confirm the generation of tapes they are using. Hell why not, Im going to be forced into buying all three albums all over again- give me something new and or improved for my money. BTW EH never responded to me on this issue:confused:. Personally if i had vinal i would want it coverted to cd imediatly as i cant stand the snap crackle pop of vinal. The best of my collection comes from the Japaness P20P P33P cd :wave:series

There is no mono mix of Electric Ladyland. Also, there aren't any masterings unique to JPN.

weavzy
11-02-09, 03:55 AM
what equipment are you planning to play this on if ELL is released on vinyl?

i just have a stereo i buit myself with an old pye amplifier and a whopping set of vintage speakers. i also have an old telephunkin tube stereo that is massive and sounds UNBELIEVABE! thats what i plan on playing it on. dont understand how people dont like the sound of vinyl. i also dont understand the current complete lack of ELL's avalability on vinyl. its jimis masterpiece, yet EH decided not to reissue it on vinyl. bizzare!

purple jim
11-02-09, 06:45 AM
Perhaps some very clean needle drops of Ladyland are out there (here ?) for your listening pleasure weavzy.

karsten
11-02-09, 01:22 PM
i also dont understand the current complete lack of ELL's avalability on vinyl. its jimis masterpiece, yet EH decided not to reissue it on vinyl. bizzare!

It was released on vinyl, but it wouldn't really make sense for Universal to do a new pressing since the rights are turned over to Sony in two months..

stplsd
11-28-09, 02:39 PM
Great ! I'm not alone in this !
but I still hope, that maybe someday there'll be some B&W video of this song...

I just cannot believe that this was not filmed in colour along with the rest, it sounds just like more EH bullshit. Someone or others decided it wasn't "good enough" or whatever crap, like the Paris 67 which they hacked up over two albums (in wildly varying quality) leaving out two & a half songs for no good reason. Oh, yes and what about Wild Thing from Paris 66!? and the pathetic travesty of the Paris 67 Wild Thing footage extra included in their re-release of 'See My Music Talking' DVD: pathetic sound, un-synched, un-improved footage and all, the "talking heads" interrupting the bands arrival and backstage at Woodstock, their failure to edit into it the fine B&W footage of Hear My Train, their failure to create a film out of the pre & post Monterey European (Britain is part of Europe) footage available? If they had any guts and brains they'd hire jamminjimi as video/sound editor, open up dialogue with some people who have a clue and stop fannying about. And pu-lease don't give me any of that "commercial viability" rubbish - it's a sad excuse for lack of creative imagination.
I've just seen some of the old Beatles footage from Tommy Weber's unreleased film 'Watch out For Your Ears' on MTV and it's excellent quality, so get the Hendrix portion out there, or, hey, what's wrong with just putting the whole film out? I'm sure the Animals/Beatles/Joe Cocker fans would love it too!

Chris M
11-29-09, 03:24 AM
I just cannot believe that this was not filmed in colour along with the rest, it's just more EH bullshit..

What is so hard to believe? Murray Lerner's film crew didn't capture complete sets of *any* of the artists that played at IOW. Same thing at Woodstock. *None* of the acts at that festival had all of their sets filmed either. It's possible the BBC film crew fimed more at IOW and captured part of the missing 3 songs but I don't know if that footage has surfaced but Murray Lerner's film crew missed those 3 songs. Not bad considering how long the set was.

P.S. I completely agree with you on Paris 1967. They should've have found a way to release the complete set.

stplsd
11-29-09, 07:04 AM
What is so hard to believe? .

Experience Hendrix Inc.

P.S. I completely agree with you on Paris 1967. They should've have found a way to release the complete set.

No comment on Wild Thing from Paris 66!?

purple jim
11-29-09, 10:13 AM
I completely agree with you on Paris 1967. They should've have found a way to release the complete set.

I suppose they just thought that they couldn't release to the public material which suffered from sound trouble. A bootleg source reveals that Jimi's mike didn't work for the first half of "Foxy Lady". On the MCA box, "Catfish Blues" fades out because the sound trouble began (we presume). "Burning Of The Midnight Lamp" is un-bootlegged as far as I know.
At one point on the bootleg, Jimi says "What's this ?" and you can hear perhaps Mitch say "A broken piece of yesterday's life !" to which Jimi replies "A broken piece of my guitar morelike".:)
Also we hear Jimi say at some stage "This guitar's no more good…" (sic). Later he says "I got my baby back" when it came back to him fixed up by the crew.

Chris M
11-30-09, 01:43 AM
Experience Hendrix Inc.

Nothing personal but I think your extreme negative opinions on all things EH keep you from looking at it in an objective manner. Over half a dozen acts have released stand alone IOW CD's and/or DVD's. All are incomplete and none were released by EH.

No comment on Wild Thing from Paris 66!?

I'd love to see it released but I can see why they only included the KF and HJ. It starts off great but with Jimi obviously pulling out all of the visual tricks doesn't lend itself to release.

stplsd
11-30-09, 05:24 AM
Nothing personal but I think your extreme negative opinions on all things EH keep you from looking at it in an objective manner.

"Nothing personal" (but I'll just get personal, eh?) Just because my "objectivity" disagrees with yours does not make it "extreme". I don't like concert tapes being heavily edited, you apparently do.

Over half a dozen acts have released stand alone IOW CD's and/or DVD's. All are incomplete and none were released by EH.

I don't see where I wrote that I thought other record companies were any better that EH?

I'd love to see it released but I can see why they only included the KF and HJ. It starts off great but with Jimi obviously pulling out all of the visual tricks doesn't lend itself to release.

What about the released versions of Wild thing they all include Jimi obviously pulling out all of the visual tricks. Should they have been cut out of the concert releases?

There is no good reason not to release it in it's entirety.

stplsd
11-30-09, 05:39 AM
I suppose they just thought that they couldn't release to the public material which suffered from sound trouble.

Dagger is supposed to be a "bootleg" label for fans/collectors, who I'm confident would, almost to a man, want the whole thing, that is their customer base, and that is whose wishes they should respect, it's not supposed to be a major commercial release that's what MCA is for. So what if his mic' is faulty, if someone doesn't like the 2 tracks with mic'/guitar problems they don't have to listen to them. There's plenty of guitar problems on Isle of Wight that they released.
What about Wild Thing at Ottawa, cut short, but still included? Slow Blues? All these crap excuses just don't wash.

A bootleg source reveals that Jimi's mike didn't work for the first half of "Foxy Lady". On the MCA box, "Catfish Blues" fades out because the sound trouble began (we presume). "Burning Of The Midnight Lamp" is un-bootlegged as far as I know..

In other words the worst the sound gets is on Foxy Lady which sounds excellent on bootleg apart from faint vocals, due to the faulty mic. and a little bit of screechy guitar at the end.

Later he says "I got my baby back" when it came back to him fixed up by the crew.

I believe he is referring to his flying V or another guitar here as he says after your quote:

Jimi: I’ve got my baby back everybody, I’ve got my baby back, now I can play now, you understand what that means.
[...]
Jimi : Well, man, look like we’re having hang ups already.
Noel : We don’t like garlic either.
Aud : Hendrix is spaceman!
Jimi : Yeah a-heh-heh-heh...I love you too huh [Applause]...Dig um we got this one song...’Red House’.... 'Red House’. All right now we’d like to try to do a little blues again, until my guitar gets fixed, ‘cause we’re gonna stay here until my guitar gets fixed, until I play...yeah so we’d like to go on and do a thing called ‘Red House’. One, two, three, four... [plays Red House]

dsmooth7
12-06-09, 12:46 PM
I asked Eddie Kramer in front of a room of 500 people at the Harman Conference several years ago about Miami Pop - since it was the only time he recorded the original experience on multi-track (I believe Wally Heider did Winterland, though there has been talk (in contemporareous press) of a live EP in Early 1967 - which Eddie probably would have done).

Eddie Kramer said they had the Miami Pop multi's and we going to released them.

I believe the "footage" Noel talks about at the Fillmore East 68 and Miami Pop is news footage - not 16mm multi camera professionally done "concert" shoots. You can see some of it in the death reports on ABC.

What everyone should hope for is the Dallas 1970 video shoot offered to Warner Bros at the time of Jimi's death.

stplsd
12-07-09, 05:31 AM
I believe the "footage" Noel talks about at the Fillmore East 68 and Miami Pop is news footage - not 16mm multi camera professionally done "concert" shoots. You can see some of it in the death reports on ABC.

It was an ABC film crew (professional enough for me) and they also shot backstage and the JHE recording a take of Voodoo Chile(SR) at Record Plant etc. Supposedly it still exists. Let's see it!

karsten
12-07-09, 04:49 PM
It was an ABC film crew (professional enough for me) and they also shot backstage and the JHE recording a take of Voodoo Chile(SR) at Record Plant etc. Supposedly it still exists. Let's see it!

What proof do you have it still exists?

Ken Voss and especially Michael Fairchild have searched for this years ago, only documenting that it does not exist any longer (at ABC archieves at least).

Furthermore, don't you think it would have been priceless for them to be able to include footage of the Voodoo Child session in the EL documentary if it still existed?

Chris M
12-07-09, 06:45 PM

Concert promoter Michael Lang hired a professional film crew to shoot Miami Pop. The raw 16MM color footage of Miami Pop absolutely 100% still exists. This is seperate from the lost ABC footage. I don't know if ABC had their own crew at Miami Pop or if they used rushes from Lang's crew but in any event the raw Miami Pop footage exists.

AFAIK the footage ABC compiled for the TV special has never turned up.

Chris M
12-07-09, 07:03 PM
"Nothing personal" (but I'll just get personal, eh?) Just because my "objectivity" disagrees with yours does not make it "extreme"..
IMO it is rather extreme. Just my .02.

" I don't like concert tapes being heavily edited, you apparently do."
Your response is a non sequitur. Non sequitur - a reply that has no relevance to what preceded it.

Over half a dozen acts have released stand alone IOW CD's and/or DVD's. All are incomplete and none were released by EH.

I don't see where I wrote that I thought other record companies were any better that EH?
I think you missed my point which was that none of the acts at IOW (or Woodstock, Monterey, et al) had their complete sets captured on film. This being the case I think it is reasonable to believe EH when they say those 3 songs weren't captured. Your opinion is that the complete set was filmed (unlike any other 60's pop festival) and EH is holding them back.

What about the released versions of Wild thing they all include Jimi obviously pulling out all of the visual tricks. Should they have been cut out of the concert releases?
I would've released it but I can see why they didn't. The difference is Jimi didn't really play a solo (no Strangers in the Night lead lines) which makes that section a bit boring. I still would have liked to see it released but can understand why it wasn't.

karsten
12-08-09, 09:02 AM
Concert promoter Michael Lang hired a professional film crew to shoot Miami Pop. The raw 16MM color footage of Miami Pop absolutely 100% still exists. This is seperate from the lost ABC footage. I don't know if ABC had their own crew at Miami Pop or if they used rushes from Lang's crew but in any event the raw Miami Pop footage exists.

If this footage exists, why haven't we ever seen it? I mean Michael Lang has tried to make money of Woodstock ever since, so if he had Miami footage lying around, wouldn't he have sold it to Warners long time ago already?

Doctor Flang
12-08-09, 09:22 AM
If this footage exists, why haven't we ever seen it? I mean Michael Lang has tried to make money of Woodstock ever since, so if he had Miami footage lying around, wouldn't he have sold it to Warners long time ago already?

Michael Jeffreys allowed anybody to film Jimi, but didn't allow them to do anything with the material. But I see no reason why Eddie Kramer would lie about it.

karsten
12-08-09, 09:45 AM
If you are refering to this thread, Eddie says according to the poster that he has the multis. I read it as multitrack tapes - not 16mm film..
As for Jeffreys: He - as we all know - died in 1972.
Alan Douglas used snippets from most filmed concerts here and there e.g. the AYE? video.
It would be strange if they had the Miami footage in the vault, that it wouldn't have appeared somewhere..
Furthermore, it would be strange that a track from Miami didn't appear on some compilation through the years..
The 2-track recording that was used for Calling Long Distance was dug up by Ken Voss. If Alan Douglas had had a multitrack tape, he could have easily supplied Caesar with a better mix as he did with Spanish Castle Magic from Winterland..

Doctor Flang
12-08-09, 10:19 AM
If you are refering to this thread, Eddie says according to the poster that he has the multis. I read it as multitrack tapes - not 16mm film..
As for Jeffreys: He - as we all know - died in 1972.
Alan Douglas used snippets from most filmed concerts here and there e.g. the AYE? video.
It would be strange if they had the Miami footage in the vault, that it wouldn't have appeared somewhere..
Furthermore, it would be strange that a track from Miami didn't appear on some compilation through the years..

It may well be that the Miami Pop multitracks were NOT in the posession of the Hendrix estate. I first learned about the recording when i read Setting the Record Straight. Alan Douglas didn't make any researching - after all, he clearly thought he had so much material that it was ok to lose some. :eek: He just used the tapes that were given to him by the previous administration.

Did AYE video contain anything from Royal Albert Hall? Or Randall's Island? I don't think so.

The Miami Pop film & audio might well have been sitting in some secret warehouse for 40 years.

karsten
12-08-09, 10:41 AM
I totally agree that Douglas did a very poor job - he even lost tapes.
I think it's self explanatory why there are no RAH footage was used by Douglas.

BTW Douglas stated that there wasn't any profit in releasing concert movies.

Doctor Flang
12-08-09, 10:59 AM
BTW Douglas stated that there wasn't any profit in releasing concert movies.

And yet he did release Atlanta, Monterey and those horribly butchered versions of Isle of Wight and Woodstock.

This is slightly off-topic, but when Al & Janie Hendrix won the courtcase, Alan Douglas was given the right to finish the budget-priced double live album called "On the Road" he was working at the time. Of course, it was never finished or released, but it would be nice to know what songs he would have included. Does anybody know?

stplsd
12-08-09, 11:22 AM
Your response is a non sequitur.
No it's not, it's directly relevant.

stplsd
12-08-09, 11:27 AM
I don't know if ABC had their own crew at Miami Pop.

They did and they filmed at different locations over a period of days, there is a record of what they shot.

backfromthestorm
12-08-09, 01:52 PM
They did and they filmed at different locations over a period of days, there is a record of what they shot.

Where is the record of what they shot? Be good to see exactly what they did.

dino77
12-08-09, 02:06 PM

In Steve Roby's "Black Gold", for example.
In essence:
1), footage of Experience performing at Record Plant (Slight return session), interviews with Jeffery, Eddie and Chandler
2) band travelling to Miami Pop
3) performance at Miami Pop
4) interview with Jimi
5) possibly footage from Fillmore East, May 10

Chris M
12-08-09, 02:07 PM
If you are refering to this thread, Eddie says according to the poster that he has the multis. I read it as multitrack tapes - not 16mm film...
They have both. The 16mm film absolutely 100% exists. Woodstock quality.

The 2-track recording that was used for Calling Long Distance was dug up by Ken Voss. If Alan Douglas had had a multitrack tape, he could have easily supplied Caesar with a better mix as he did with Spanish Castle Magic from Winterland..
Douglas didn't have Miami Pop. I don't think the 4 track audio and pro film was discovered until 1999 or 2000. IIRC the widow of one of the financial backers had the film and EH bought it from her a few years ago. Supposedly they want to put it out after RAH.

Chris M
12-08-09, 02:28 PM
No it's not, it's directly relevant.

Nope.

I said I would've liked to have seen the Paris Wild Thing on the box but can understand why it wasn't used. In your reply you surmised that I like "concert tapes being heavily edited" which is all sorts of logical fallacies.

Doctor Flang
12-08-09, 03:38 PM
Douglas didn't have Miami Pop. I don't think the 4 track audio and pro film was discovered until 1999 or 2000. IIRC the widow of one of the financial backers had the film and EH bought it from her a few years ago.

Thanks for info Chris! I was thinking that something like that must have happened to the tapes. 4-track audio? That's fascinating. All the other Hendrix live tapes were recorded on mono, stereo or 8-track tapes, but this is the first time i've heard that an 4-track Hendrix live recording exists.

purple jim
12-08-09, 04:31 PM
There were two shows at Miami. Do we know if both were recorded ?

stplsd
12-08-09, 04:53 PM
In your reply you surmised that I like "concert tapes being heavily edited

You frequently speak in support of this

stplsd
12-08-09, 04:55 PM

It's in Univibes or Jimpress can't remember right now.

There's a link in one of your posts to the same info on Fairchild's site on one of your posts here!

Chris M
12-08-09, 05:07 PM
You frequently speak in support of this

Nah. Just an idea but don't have to be such an (edited) Really, your attitude is such a turn off.

stplsd
12-08-09, 05:16 PM
Nah. Just an idea but don't have to be such an annoying (edited). Really, your attitude is such a turn off.

resorting to name calling coz you just can't handle the truth;-) Have you checked your attitude out lately?

backfromthestorm
12-08-09, 05:51 PM
It's in Univibes or Jimpress can't remember right now.

There's a link in one of your posts to the same info on Fairchild's site on one of your posts here!

Thanks, I`ll take another look.

stplsd
12-09-09, 12:12 PM
which show? both shows? a whole show? The way you put the discovery of this in an earlier post I assumed it was the lost ABC footage (maybe it is?)

yelapavision
12-09-09, 12:23 PM
Miami Pop, both shows filmed, complete, filmed in 16mm and recorded (hearing about it recorded in 4 track was new to me though).

Mike

which show? both shows? a whole show? The way you put the discovery of this in an earlier post I assumed it was the lost ABC footage (maybe it is?)

univibs
12-09-09, 12:40 PM
nothing but rumors...
everybody talking, but nobody brings one single fact, is there or is there not a "Miami Footage" !

I'm sorry for beeing the "Bad Guy" and say this, but come on guys, it happen more then 40 years ago, nothing came up ! a Jimi Hendrix's show from 1968 on 16MM , and it's not on DVD yet ?!

stplsd
12-09-09, 12:41 PM
Miami Pop, both shows filmed, complete, filmed in 16mm and recorded (hearing about it recorded in 4 track was new to me though).

Mike

Where did you get this info from please, and do yu have any more detail, like who filmed it (ABC, or not)?

ilovejimi
12-09-09, 01:16 PM
you could ask EH. mmuuuuhhaaaaaa hhhhhaaaaa wwhhoooaaaaaaaa MMMUUUUUHHAAAAAAAAA ah ha (lol to the 10th power)

Doctor Flang
12-09-09, 02:18 PM
nothing but rumors...
everybody talking, but nobody brings one single fact, is there or is there not a "Miami Footage" !

I'm sorry for beeing the "Bad Guy" and say this, but come on guys, it happen more then 40 years ago, nothing came up ! a Jimi Hendrix's show from 1968 on 16MM , and it's not on DVD yet ?!

That's because it was NOT in the hands of previous administrations. Face the fact - John McDermott has done a brilliant researching work. Once again, why would Eddie Kramer lie about it?

Chris M
12-09-09, 02:33 PM
We know the Miami Pop 16mm exists because there are collectors with unimpeachable credentials that have seen excerpts of it. This is 16mm film shot by Michael Lang's crew. ABC either shot their own footage or had an agreement to use excerpts of Lang's footage for the ABC TV special. Not sure if only the daytime show was filmed.

That and Kramer has said they have it. Then there are the Zappa collectors that saw it (Zappa was on the bill).

karsten
12-09-09, 06:28 PM
No that wasn't Frank Zappa in miami 1968 they saw. It was Frank Zappa in Miami Vice:

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JPVjXgw4sUU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

:rasta:

Anyway if EH are planning to release it after the RAH dvd, we're still talking 5-10 years into the future.. :-(

PS: Speaking of 80's tv shows, If anybody is interested in seeing Bruce Willis smashing a BMW 633 to the tones of Manic Drepression here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjOr-UEQcaI

scoutship
12-09-09, 11:27 PM
^^ lol. I guess you know Don Johnson's Jimi encounter story, too, eh? In that NY club, coming out of the men's room, supposedly?

stplsd
12-11-09, 02:46 PM
What does she have? A brass neck!

yelapavision
12-12-09, 01:55 AM
what does that mean? I don't understand.

thanks,
Mike

What does she have? A brass neck!

buffalorattle
12-12-09, 03:08 AM
what does that mean? I don't understand.

thanks,
Mike

The simpliest definition: "Someone who has the brass neck to do something has no sense of shame about what they do".

dino77
12-12-09, 10:52 AM
^^ lol. I guess you know Don Johnson's Jimi encounter story, too, eh? In that NY club, coming out of the men's room, supposedly?

No, but that sounds interesting! What's the story?

Crdx
12-14-09, 05:35 PM
Man, I'd love to see Miami Pop footage.. Just imagine.. :)

weavzy
12-15-09, 05:32 AM
i hope they are sitting on some live footage from 1970. thats my favorite jimi era. jimi with his univibe, black strat jammin out on machine gun or hey baby. wasnt la forum meant to have been filmed? l think someone says it was in the black gold book. or maybe i'm just wishin'.... but just imagine seeing that....drool.

Doctor Flang
12-15-09, 02:34 PM
i hope they are sitting on some live footage from 1970. thats my favorite jimi era. jimi with his univibe, black strat jammin out on machine gun or hey baby. wasnt la forum meant to have been filmed? l think someone says it was in the black gold book. or maybe i'm just wishin'.... but just imagine seeing that....drool.

AFAIK there is no more pro-shot material from 1970 other than what we know.

Berkeley - Released as Jimi Plays Berkeley DVD. The rest footage is missing and was lost probably even before Alan Douglas took over.

Maui - Mitch Mitchell overdubbed drums in the studio, it's hard to say could the original drum tracks be salvaged with modern technology.

Atlanta - The two camera work is uninspired but it would be nice to see the complete concert some day. The re-edited Stone Free with Eddie Kramer's remixed audio that was released as a bonus on A Film About Jimi Hendrix is much better than the previous versions.

Randall's Island - Nothing from that show has been officially released on DVD.

Isle of Wight - Released as Wild Blue Angel DVD.

MourningStar
12-15-09, 04:28 PM
Maui - Mitch Mitchell overdubbed drums in the studio,...why?

Doctor Flang
12-15-09, 04:42 PM
why?

The recording equipment weren't working properly and the overheads weren't recorded, so Mitch overdubbed drums for most of the material at Electric Lady. Here's one example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHEBPdGouLY

Ezy Ryder was an out-take from the film, but here you can easily hear the overdubbed drums being punched from 0:25. The drum sound changes dramatically, especially cymbals and tom-toms.

EDIT: That video edit with scenes from Easy Rider the movie is NOT an out-take from the film.

MourningStar
12-15-09, 08:41 PM
The recording equipment weren't working properly and the overheads weren't recorded, ...OK - thnx. So why, then, would you ask "... could the original drum tracks be salvaged with modern technology." ? Is there something extant to salvage?

:000-thanx:

MourningStar
12-15-09, 09:10 PM
... wasnt la forum meant to have been filmed? l think someone says it was in the black gold book. or maybe i'm just wishin'.... but just imagine seeing that....drool.yes, The Black Gold document states (from certain un-named concert attendees) that a screen was reported to have been seen on-stage and may be further validated based on a remark by Jimi's intro (i.e. "... and yours trully on video"). If true, then this would 'naturally' lead one to speculate a recording was made. However, the technology at the time was referred to as 'closed-circuit television' and does not require recording equipment to function as such. A live feed from camera to display screen is all that it takes. I attended this concert and do recall a 'large object' near stage but our seats were furthest from the stage and we weren't able to i.d. it. Plus, given the technology at the time, the screen resolution would have been rendered useless at the distance we were at.

I have a recording I made of the first half of this show on the tracker here that was put together by a couple of members here who felt it was important to leave about 7 minutes or so of the pre-show chatter of me and my friends on the torrent. I 'think' (haven't listened to it in ages) we mention the 'object'.

:minipersonen065:

weavzy
12-16-09, 04:02 AM
cant believe you were at the forum show man! that is awsome! jimi was welll and truley pushing up daisies by the time i was born, so it blows my mind abit when ii hear of someone seeing him live. especially such a legendary performance . if icould choose a jimi show to goback in time to attend it would be that one or oakland collaseum 69. our man was spitting liquid fire from his finger tips that night.

Doctor Flang
12-16-09, 07:06 AM
OK - thnx. So why, then, would you ask "... could the original drum tracks be salvaged with modern technology." ? Is there something extant to salvage?

:000-thanx:

If you listen to the intro of Ezy Ryder or some of that tracks that were not overdubbed, like Dolly Dagger or Villanova Junction, you can hear that there might indeed be something to be salvaged. Alan Douglas did an video collection for TV at one point (i believe it was called "Festivals") which included Hey Baby (New Rising Sun) which used the original drum track but that sounded pretty bad. But then again, in those days the mixing engineer Mark Linett used a noise reduction pretty heavily which is a dubious practise at best. Especially if the overheads are not recorded.

Bear in mind, most of the Woodstock recordings sounded pretty weak (not Jimi's set) until the latest remixes on the 6 CD box set.

MourningStar
12-16-09, 11:56 AM
...Bear in mind, most of the Woodstock recordings sounded pretty weak (not Jimi's set) until the latest remixes on the 6 CD box set.I agree IF you are referring to the original cd releases. I have original Woodstock vinyl which are far superior (to my ears at least) to the cds.

And thnx for the drum track info.

Doctor Flang
12-16-09, 12:09 PM
I agree IF you are referring to the original cd releases. I have original Woodstock vinyl which are far superior (to my ears at least) to the cds.

I have only heard the CD and the absolutely horrible 25th Anniversary box set. (I'd recommend the new box set - it's abso fabbo!)
Regardless all the drum track problems i really do wish the non-overdubbed Maui show is released someday. It would make a great Dagger release.

purple jim
12-17-09, 01:31 AM
If the original tapes aren't adequate, maybe they could mix down the overdubbed drums which are a little too present on the film soundtrack versions. Todays technology surely could make a fair job of it all.

RobWats67
01-08-10, 04:24 AM
I think that Eddie Kramer overcompresses the tracks when he is remixing Jimi Hendrix for the remastered releases.

dino77
01-08-10, 05:16 AM
I think that Eddie Kramer overcompresses the tracks when he is remixing Jimi Hendrix for the remastered releases.

Him and George Marino at Sterling Sound. This is a major worry with the upcoming album reissues - will we have a botched mastering job again? Hopefully they will have taken note of the excellent recent Beatles reissues, which were louder than previous cds but not overly compressed. Otherwise we will be forced to buy EH's defective "loudness war" cds once again in order to get the (hopefully not previously bootlegged) bonus material.

Doctor Flang
01-09-10, 01:21 PM

Him and George Marino at Sterling Sound. This is a major worry with the upcoming album reissues - will we have a botched mastering job again? Hopefully they will have taken note of the excellent recent Beatles reissues, which were louder than previous cds but not overly compressed. Otherwise we will be forced to buy EH's defective "loudness war" cds once again in order to get the (hopefully not previously bootlegged) bonus material.

Eddie Kramer himself has said that the 1997 re-masterings were too compressed and that he is "more careful these days when working on Jimi's material".

IF the Sony versions are remastered then i am quite optimistic.

ilovejimi
01-09-10, 02:32 PM
:wave:[QUOTE=IF the Sony versions are remastered then i am quite optimistic.[/QUOTE]

i second that

dino77
01-10-10, 01:27 PM
Eddie Kramer himself has said that the 1997 re-masterings were too compressed and that he is "more careful these days when working on Jimi's material".

IF the Sony versions are remastered then i am quite optimistic.

Sounds promising! Just noted that Spotify has the first 3 albums, Live at Fillmore East, Live at Berkeley, Blue wild angel, Blues, First Rays, South Saturn Delta and the box set up, licenced to Sony 2010. Hard to tell from listening if these are the remastered versions, no bonus tracks on there.

RobWats67
01-15-10, 07:05 PM
Good luck.

ilovejimi
01-26-10, 07:53 PM
In the January edition of Rolling Stone magazine, Experience Hendrix revealed that they are working on the restoration of a video tape of The Jimi Hendrix Experience live at the Miami Pop Festival in 1968! This is very exciting news as only a snippet of newsreel footage has ever been seen of this date. ...

Chris M
01-26-10, 07:58 PM
If I had to choose between Miami and 2/24 RAH Miami wins hands down every time.

ilovejimi
01-26-10, 08:28 PM
"EH is putting out a call for anyone who has information about a video recording of Jimi at Dallas in 1970. If you have any information about that please contact Experience Hendrix" this statement taken from Jimi Hendrix Record Guide: http://pagesperso-orange.fr/hendrix....atest_news.htm. Id say they already have material their possession and they are hoping to augment the project by soliciating video material from the public. This is positive IMHO, perhaps they are already in possession of the audio. Anyone know of a collector that may have had the audio- if so maybe we could ask him/her. In any event I have no info on the set list of the concert- JUSTASKTHEAXIS says no info is available. (of course that website seems to be out of date in some cases). :wave:

stplsd
01-26-10, 10:21 PM
If I had to choose between Miami and 2/24 RAH Miami wins hands down every time.
What songs are on this tape then? need to be something very special to top Bleeding heart, Red house, HMtrain, Wing, voodoo chile/mirrors jam

Chris M
01-27-10, 01:37 AM
What songs are on this tape then? need to be something very special to top Bleeding heart, Red house, HMtrain, Wing, voodoo chile/mirrors jam

It isn't that it tops it (I've only heard the 4 performances everyone else has) but we have the complete RAH audio but only a fraction of Miami so Miami would be my first choice because it is more new Jimi rather than an upgrade. Plus it's daytime outside footage which is special IMO. I'm also dying to see pro footage of Tax Free which will be first.

Chris M
01-27-10, 01:40 AM
"EH is putting out a call for anyone who has information about a video recording of Jimi at Dallas in 1970. If you have any information about that please contact Experience Hendrix" this statement taken from Jimi Hendrix Record Guide: http://pagesperso-orange.fr/hendrix....atest_news.htm. Id say they already have material their possession and they are hoping to augment the project by soliciating video material from the public. This is positive IMHO, perhaps they are already in possession of the audio. Anyone know of a collector that may have had the audio- if so maybe we could ask him/her. In any event I have no info on the set list of the concert- JUSTASKTHEAXIS says no info is available. (of course that website seems to be out of date in some cases). :wave:

The Dallas '70 footage likely has audio since it seems to be the feed from a closed circuit or primitive 'jumbotron' projection.

karsten
02-13-10, 09:28 AM
Janie:

We were able to transfer all of those tapes in London at Abbey Road Studios, and hear everything that the (previous estate) administration had their hands on. Just to be able to hear songs in different versions was amazing. (Listening) was never-ending. It was just constant music for four days, 18 hours a day. That was incredible.

I know this is highly unreliable information. But 4x18 hours is 72 hours of materiale - let's say that's roughly.

That seems a bit low to me considering the amount of time spent in the studio, plus this might be including live tapes. Of course not all studio tapes were kept etc.
Does anybody have an idear of the amount of recordings they should actually have in the vault according to studio lists etc..?

univibs
02-13-10, 05:45 PM
"EH is putting out a call for anyone who has information about a video recording of Jimi at Dallas in 1970. If you have any information about that please contact Experience Hendrix" this statement taken from Jimi Hendrix Record Guide: http://pagesperso-orange.fr/hendrix....atest_news.htm (http://pagesperso-orange.fr/hendrix....atest_news.htm). Id say they already have material their possession and they are hoping to augment the project by soliciating video material from the public. This is positive IMHO, perhaps they are already in possession of the audio. Anyone know of a collector that may have had the audio- if so maybe we could ask him/her. In any event I have no info on the set list of the concert- JUSTASKTHEAXIS says no info is available. (of course that website seems to be out of date in some cases). :wave:
where is all the Dallas 1970 concert photos when we need them ? is anyone see anyone filming ?

Plus it's daytime outside footage which is special IMO. I'm also dying to see pro footage of Tax Free which will be first.

it was an eavning show too.

Dolly Dagger
11-21-10, 05:33 PM
where is all the Dallas 1970 concert photos when we need them ? is anyone see anyone filming ?

it was an eavning show too.

and the Fillmore East '68 show.

And here's some Dallas shots (and Houston shots) [thank you Mitch008] no one seen filming. Maybe EH knows different.

MourningStar
11-21-10, 07:47 PM
^
with and without moustache?

Dolly Dagger
11-21-10, 07:54 PM
^
with and without moustache?

5 Jun 1970 Hendrix/ Cox/ Mitchell
Memorial Auditorium Dallas Texas USA
6 Jun 1970 Hendrix/ Cox/ Mitchell
Sam Houston Coliseum Houston Texas USA

according to 'Just Ask The Axis', one day apart with the mustache and without it. camel1

johanincr
11-22-10, 04:04 AM
and the Fillmore East '68 show.

And here's some Dallas shots (and Houston shots) [thank you Mitch008] no one seen filming. Maybe EH knows different.

I could post a lot of close-up pics from Monterey and Woodstock and Atlanta, or RAH, where you dont see anyone filming too.

Do you have photos from Dallas or Houston 1970 where we can see the full stage?

Sharpstat
11-22-10, 02:23 PM
Janie:

We were able to transfer all of those tapes in London at Abbey Road Studios, and hear everything that the (previous estate) administration had their hands on. Just to be able to hear songs in different versions was amazing. (Listening) was never-ending. It was just constant music for four days, 18 hours a day. That was incredible.

I know this is highly unreliable information. But 4x18 hours is 72 hours of materiale - let's say that's roughly.

That seems a bit low to me considering the amount of time spent in the studio, plus this might be including live tapes. Of course not all studio tapes were kept etc.
Does anybody have an idear of the amount of recordings they should actually have in the vault according to studio lists etc..?

In case you're the least bit curious, picture from the Abbey Road studio setup.Classe 400 watt mono amps and B&W speakers!

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/3523/abbeyrdclasse2large.th.jpg (http://img831.imageshack.us/i/abbeyrdclasse2large.jpg/)

purple jim
12-03-10, 02:19 AM
What does she have???

A collection of babywear :

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/4375/431211009.jpg (http://img228.imageshack.us/i/431211009.jpg/)

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/35/985211014.jpg (http://img222.imageshack.us/i/985211014.jpg/)

purple jim
12-03-10, 02:28 AM
Not forgetting the Jimi Hendrix Magic Marble Kaleidescope!!

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/5961/136704001.jpg (http://img843.imageshack.us/i/136704001.jpg/)

... and don't forget the Whisper In Your Ear Note Cards!!!

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/3121/284303002.jpg (http://img13.imageshack.us/i/284303002.jpg/)

dino77
12-03-10, 10:57 AM
Not forgetting the Jimi Hendrix Magic Marble Kaleidescope!!

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/5961/136704001.jpg (http://img843.imageshack.us/i/136704001.jpg/)

... and don't forget the Whisper In Your Ear Note Cards!!!

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/3121/284303002.jpg (http://img13.imageshack.us/i/284303002.jpg/)

Are those for real?

purple jim
12-03-10, 01:05 PM
Are those for real?

Yep. I see that there was already a subject about all this stuff: Odd Hendrix Merchandise.