PDA

View Full Version : Who has Jimi Hendirx influenced?

The Earth Blues
10-26-09, 07:00 AM
If you guys remember, I made a topic saying I have a speech in my Communications class and I want to do it on Jimi Hendrix. (Note, this is a short five minute speech)

I've decided I'm going to do it on what Jimi Hendrix influenced. Pretty much I will preface my speech with, "I'm not here to tell you Hendrix is the best guitarist or musician ever, but I want to state a fact and that is his influence over every genre of music." obviously that isn't word for word, but just so you get an idea.

So who has Hendrix influenced?

Some of the guitarist are quite obvious...Joe Satriani, Buckethead, Eric Clapton...

But how about other genres? His influence is there...it's just I need artist that might possibly connect with people in my class. I feel like he has definitely influenced rap, especially considering he was simply a black artist.

I especially want to hit on his influence to R&B...because I'm sure there are many fans of rap in the audience.

Any input will be appreciated! I want this speech to be great...so people understand the influence and greatness of hendrix, even if they don't directly appreciate his music.

canaQ
10-26-09, 07:22 AM
Hi,

I recently read something about this. They said that Nas has a song called "Fetus" which is inspired by Hendrix's "Belly Button Window" and Common has a album called "Electric Circus" which has a Hendrix influence.

I haven't listened to this song/album because of some problems with my pc, so I don't know if it's true or not. I hope it will help you with your speech... good luck anyway!

peace

The Earth Blues
10-26-09, 07:32 AM
Hi,

I recently read something about this. They said that Nas has a song called "Fetus" which is inspired by Hendrix's "Belly Button Window" and Common has a album called "Electric Circus" which has a Hendrix influence.

I haven't listened to this song/album because of some problems with my pc, so I don't know if it's true or not. I hope it will help you with your speech... good luck anyway!

peace
Thanks, yes I have heard about that as well. I plan on giving it a listen later today.

Nas would be great to mention since he is one of the greatest rappers of all time (arguably)...also there is this absolute piece of shit rap artist out there right now called "Flo-Rida" who has a Jimi Hendrix tattoo on his left arm.

Another modern "pop" artist I could mention is John Mayer. I don't even consider him pop besides his early stuff, but that is a good one to mention.

I really don't have enough time to talk about Hendrix, but I think I can make it work. I just want to be able to hit on every genre.

MourningStar
10-26-09, 08:35 PM
Maybe you can find 'some' material here (http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthread.php?t=942).

The Earth Blues
10-27-09, 07:42 AM
Maybe you can find 'some' material here (http://crosstowntorrents.org/showthread.php?t=942).
How the hell did I forget about this thread...thank you so much man.

Ayler
10-27-09, 05:42 PM
So who has Hendrix influenced?
Miles Davis, Gil Evans, Jaco Pastorius, John McLaughlin, Tommy Bolin, Larry Coryell, Albert King (in the 70's...), Buddy Guy (since the 90's), Roy Buchanan, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Carlos Santana, Warren Haynes, Frank Zappa, Steve Vai, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ben Harper, Living Color, Sting, Randy California, Robin Trower, George Clinton, Bootsy Collins, Larry Graham, Prince, Marc Ribot, David Murray, Jean Paul Bourelly, Marcus Miller, Body Count, Chuck D, Kronos Quartet, Nigel Kennedy...

stplsd
10-27-09, 07:57 PM
You name it! Is there any one he hasn't?

The Earth Blues
10-27-09, 09:24 PM
Miles Davis, Gil Evans, Jaco Pastorius, John McLaughlin, Tommy Bolin, Larry Coryell, Albert King (in the 70's...), Buddy Guy (since the 90's), Roy Buchanan, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Carlos Santana, Warren Haynes, Frank Zappa, Steve Vai, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ben Harper, Living Color, Sting, Randy California, Robin Trower, George Clinton, Bootsy Collins, Larry Graham, Prince, Marc Ribot, David Murray, Jean Paul Bourelly, Marcus Miller, Body Count, Chuck D, Kronos Quartet, Nigel Kennedy...
Prince...a good one that escaped me.

Red Hot Chili Peppers/John Frusciante...Pearl Jam/Mike McCready.

Sigh, how is five minutes enough time to explain Jimi's influence? LOL...I'll find a way though.

Thank you so much Ayler...don't believe some of those names escaped me.

I think I will try and divide it into four categories:
-Intro-
1. Rock- This'll be tough to narrow down
2. Pop and Rap- John Mayer, Prince, Nas
3. His contemporaries- Miles Davis, Buddy Guy, Frank Zappa, Eric Clapton, Townshend, Beck (good place to quote some of the jealous the last three felt towards him)
4. Blues- SRV, Haynes, KWS, Eric Gales
-Conclusion-

I still think it'll be tough to make this a five minute speech...I'm almost positive I could be up there for an hour if I had that kind of time.

MourningStar
10-27-09, 11:06 PM
How the hell did I forget about this thread...thank you so much man.You're welcome, good luck my friend. Five minutes? yeah, right! -

;)