PDA

View Full Version : Jimi and metronomes?

Purplz
12-06-09, 12:16 AM
Hey everyone,

I've always wondered if the use of a metronome (as you can hear on Midnight Lightning off the South Saturn Delta album) was common with Jimi.

Does anybody have studio outtakes of Jimi playing along a metronome?

I know it may seem as a silly question to some but i really wanna know ^^

:000-thanx:

ap0llo
12-06-09, 03:43 AM
There's also a studio session for "Beginnings" where a metronome is pretty clearly audible (and distracting).

backfromthestorm
12-06-09, 04:44 AM
I havnt heard a metronome on that track, I read that he was tapping his foot to it. Although Angel, (off the same album) used the beat setting on a keyboard as a metronome as mitch wasnt there, it was just Kramer and himself. I read that in the same book, I`ll find out which one in a bit and update.

dino77
12-06-09, 07:22 AM
What version of "Beginnings" includes a metronome? I have never noticed any.

Yes, the sound on ML is foot tapping. The only example of a metronome outside of the Axis outtake of "Angel" would be that "Valleys of Neptune jam with Steve Winwood that's supposedly (to me it sounds like an early version of the song, and the piano does not like sound Winwood) from Electric Lady, June 1970.

ap0llo
12-07-09, 01:48 AM
Oh man I forgot which version it was, actually I know it definitely sounds like the same version that they put on First Rays of the New Rising Sun (minus the clicking metronome). I forgot what bootleg I heard it on though, but it definitely sounds like a metronome and definitely not someone tapping their foot.